What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own a 4K Television (2 Viewers)

OK, so I've settled on the Samsung Q8 65" as my next TV in my family room. It was $1500 through Christmas and the again up to the Superbowl. Now it is sitting at $1700. So today, I get the Costco email and see this Samsung Q8 8K 65" for $2000. I didn't want to spend this much money, but is it worth it to get the next gen stuff for only $300 more than the Q8 4K? I know, I know, there is no real 8K source content yet, but I can wait. Every time I see an 8K in the store, the pic is sick!

Talk me out of this
It is always the eternal question.

If you put it off say 6 months you'll be have the same question with a slightly more updated set of equipment.

Pick your spot and price point and timing and pull the trigger then don't look back until you need your next tv.

-QG

Back in October I bought a Vizio OLED 65" from BB for $1899. It was when they were giving the extended return time, so I had until almost February to return if I wanted to. I had it for about a month and a half and really liked it - the picture was really good, the UI of the smart tv functions was awesome, and I really liked the way when starting a show on Netflix or basically any other streaming, it would tell you what the format was  (HDR10+, HDR, etc).  

Anyway, I read a ton of reviews and comparisons of the Vizio OLED and a Sony A8H 65" OLED (which Sony consistently dominated) and eventually decided I wanted the Sony if I could get it at near the same price. Eventually the Sony went on sale for $1799 from $2500 so I exchanged the Vizio for the Sony. I've had it now for several months and really like it, but I think I need to calibrate it. It doesn't blow me away with the picture like the Vizio did, but it very well could be the fact that when I got the Vizio I was going from a terrible lower end 55" Samsung 4K and going to the Sony from the Vizio OLED was very similar. 

For my comparison of the two after having both for a time, I liked the Vizio Smart TV UI and the fact it told me what format I was watching. I do think the Sony picture is better, I just need to calibrate and tweak it. But, it really is nitpicking because OLED is still amazing even uncalibrated. 

OK, so I've settled on the Samsung Q8 65" as my next TV in my family room. It was $1500 through Christmas and the again up to the Superbowl. Now it is sitting at $1700. So today, I get the Costco email and see this Samsung Q8 8K 65" for $2000. I didn't want to spend this much money, but is it worth it to get the next gen stuff for only $300 more than the Q8 4K? I know, I know, there is no real 8K source content yet, but I can wait. Every time I see an 8K in the store, the pic is sick!

Talk me out of this
8K content will not be regularly broadcast for years.  In fact, right now, aside from streaming services, regular tv still does not broadcast in 1080P.  Regular 4K content is still years away.  That TV you are looking at in the store is being fed 8K content.  You will bring that TV home and for the next 4 years or so not have anything other than you tube videos to watch in 8K.

Waste of money right now IMO.  I would go OLED, but that is just me.

Edit:  I see you've already been talked out of it.  Go for the CX.  You won't regret it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in October I bought a Vizio OLED 65" from BB for $1899. It was when they were giving the extended return time, so I had until almost February to return if I wanted to. I had it for about a month and a half and really liked it - the picture was really good, the UI of the smart tv functions was awesome, and I really liked the way when starting a show on Netflix or basically any other streaming, it would tell you what the format was  (HDR10+, HDR, etc).  

Anyway, I read a ton of reviews and comparisons of the Vizio OLED and a Sony A8H 65" OLED (which Sony consistently dominated) and eventually decided I wanted the Sony if I could get it at near the same price. Eventually the Sony went on sale for $1799 from $2500 so I exchanged the Vizio for the Sony. I've had it now for several months and really like it, but I think I need to calibrate it. It doesn't blow me away with the picture like the Vizio did, but it very well could be the fact that when I got the Vizio I was going from a terrible lower end 55" Samsung 4K and going to the Sony from the Vizio OLED was very similar. 

For my comparison of the two after having both for a time, I liked the Vizio Smart TV UI and the fact it told me what format I was watching. I do think the Sony picture is better, I just need to calibrate and tweak it. But, it really is nitpicking because OLED is still amazing even uncalibrated. 
You could try the settings at RTings and see if that helps. 

So, it just dawned on me that my AVR is on the old side, and sure enough it has HDMI 1.3 ports, which won't support 4K content.  So until I can replace it with a newer AVR or soundbar, I'll have to choose between 4K video with TV speaker audio, or 1080p video with surround sound.

:kicksrock:

So, it just dawned on me that my AVR is on the old side, and sure enough it has HDMI 1.3 ports, which won't support 4K content.  So until I can replace it with a newer AVR or soundbar, I'll have to choose between 4K video with TV speaker audio, or 1080p video with surround sound.

:kicksrock:
Most TV's have an audio output.  You should be able to direct your video to the TV and have the TV send the audio to the receiver. 

So today I have all my sources connecting into the AVR and a single HDMI out to the TV - it's basically a monitor taking video from the AVR.  And I switch between inputs on the AVR.

Instead, I would connect all my sources to the TV inputs and then run a single HDMI out to the AVR, and manage my source switching on the TV instead. (I see there's also optical audio out but I don't have that cable AFAIK)

Do I have that right?

ETA - aaaaand, my AVR doesn't support HDMI ARC :wall:

So today I have all my sources connecting into the AVR and a single HDMI out to the TV - it's basically a monitor taking video from the AVR.  And I switch between inputs on the AVR.

Instead, I would connect all my sources to the TV inputs and then run a single HDMI out to the AVR, and manage my source switching on the TV instead. (I see there's also optical audio out but I don't have that cable AFAIK)

Do I have that right?

ETA - aaaaand, my AVR doesn't support HDMI ARC :wall:
Yep, you are going to need an optical audio cable. This is exactly my setup. Get yourself down to a Best Buy stat.

Updated AVR is on the docket anyway at some point soon.  Starting to get choppy audio when I first turn it on, like it has to warm up or something (it's not a tube set)

Updated AVR is on the docket anyway at some point soon.  Starting to get choppy audio when I first turn it on, like it has to warm up or something (it's not a tube set)
I just looked at your original post.  I see you got the LG CX.  I have a C9. You'll love it.  I also have a Denon 3600x (3700 is the current version) that I got at the same time as the TV and the two work really well together.

I just looked at your original post.  I see you got the LG CX.  I have a C9. You'll love it.  I also have a Denon 3600x (3700 is the current version) that I got at the same time as the TV and the two work really well together.
I'm replacing a Sony DLP that I bought in 2007.  And my AVR is an Onkyo that's a few years newer but not new enough.

My God the picture on this thing is ####### glorious.

I have the optical audio connected, but no sound thru the receiver. I'm guessing I need to do something in the AVR setup to enable it. Which could be tricky since I no longer have a HDMI out from the AVR to the TV to see the on-screen setup menu :lmao:

Probably will have to temporarily connect one long enough to do that setup. Or see if there's a clear way to do it from the front panel.

Honestly, the speakers on this TV sound pretty good already, just no surround.

Just bought and installed a Samsung Q80t 75inch to replace my 10 yr old 65 inch Samsung plasma (which still has a stunningly good pic). Really happy so far, the difference in a 75 from 65 is significant.

But I have a question for those that bought this model.  In doing research to find the proper settings I came across a ton of complaints about this model and viewing sports.  Lots and lots of complaints about banding and juddering.  Threw on some March Madness and old replay of a Brees game on NFL TV and saw none of this. Most complaints were around network broadcasts.  Anyone here having that issue?  I watch a ton of sports and am still in the return window.  Would love to hear some thoughts. 

Also just a heads up but Best Buy is running a deal with this model where you get a $500 BB gift card with purchase ( @TheFanatic  not sure if your still in the market).  As I’m buying a new Xbox series X this will come in handy. 

Wife has given me permission to upgrade our TV.  I can go up to 82 inches.  I need to do this before she changes her mind!  

Looking at Costco between a Samsung and LG.  

Whats the difference, or importance of HDMI 2.0 vs 2.1?  

The Samsung has the motion rate of 240, but HDMI 2.0.  

I do have a Sonos Setup, otherwise everything we run is thru Apple TV.  

Wife has given me permission to upgrade our TV.  I can go up to 82 inches.  I need to do this before she changes her mind!  

The HDMI 2.1 standard is faster than HDMI 2.0, the current connection used by modern home entertainment devices. It nearly triples the bandwidth of HDMI 2.0, defining a maximum speed of 48Gbps, compared with 18GBps. For 4K TVs, that means an HDMI 2.1 connection can handle 4K video at up to 120 frames per second.

AFAIK - The only thing that uses HDMI 2.1 currently is the next gen gaming consoles - The PS5 and Xbox Whateveritis. Here's a decent article about it, and if it's "necessary".

The Samsung’s native motion rate is 120 which is fine for sports anyway 

Gun to my head, it’d be the Samsung    But...

if you can swing it, try and bump her up to the 85” Sony, or even better the 77” OLED 

Wrigley said:
The Samsung’s native motion rate is 120 which is fine for sports anyway 

Gun to my head, it’d be the Samsung    But...

if you can swing it, try and bump her up to the 85” Sony, or even better the 77” OLED 
Our mantle is 74 inches, I was told the width of the tv needs to be less than that.  That’s where I land on the 82inch.  

Since I’ve started looking I am into the oled ones now.  Not sure it’s worth the extra costs and it would have to be the smaller 77 inch tv.  

No gaming on this tv anyways, just sports and Netflix.

Our mantle is 74 inches, I was told the width of the tv needs to be less than that.  That’s where I land on the 82inch.  

Since I’ve started looking I am into the oled ones now.  Not sure it’s worth the extra costs and it would have to be the smaller 77 inch tv.  

The 77” LG is just under 68” wide 

85” Sony is just under 75” wide 

Screen sizes are measured diagonally from corner to corner 

you have plenty of room 

The 77” LG is just under 68” wide 

85” Sony is just under 75” wide 

Screen sizes are measured diagonally from corner to corner 

you have plenty of room 
And yes, I know the bolded.  I might not have been clear...the mantle is 74 inches wide/long.  I have to find a TV that is not longer than the mantle.  That's why the 85 incher is out of the question.  

Any 82 inch TV would work.  The OLED has really caught my attention.  Just not sure if I can justify the price tag.  Its twice as much as the Samsung.  Might have to go with the cheaper option.  $1500 is in the wheel house and would be a major upgrade from the current TV. 

And yes, I know the bolded.  I might not have been clear...the mantle is 74 inches wide/long.  I have to find a TV that is not longer than the mantle.  That's why the 85 incher is out of the question.  

Any 82 inch TV would work.  The OLED has really caught my attention.  Just not sure if I can justify the price tag.  Its twice as much as the Samsung.  Might have to go with the cheaper option.  $1500 is in the wheel house and would be a major upgrade from the current TV. 
I almost always go for the better deal, but for once decided to splurge on the 77" Sony OLED (A9G) and it is fantastic and I regret nothing. Even my wife had to be like "Damn yeah that's sweet"

Pass on the OLED and you'll be constantly asking yourself "what if...".
This is true.  I’m having those thoughts as we speak.  But I ultimately passed on the O and went with a Q because of my space.  It’s just to bright for the O.  Because of that I know I made the right decision, but I still can shake that “what if...” thought.  

It’s worth it.  

This is true.  I’m having those thoughts as we speak.  But I ultimately passed on the O and went with a Q because of my space.  It’s just to bright for the O.  Because of that I know I made the right decision, but I still can shake that “what if...” thought.  
The new C1 and G1 are supposed to be game changers for OLED brightness.  The reviews are positive.  Waiting to see what the price tag is.  Will probably wIt for the first price drop next fall and pull the trigger in my main living room space (which is also very bright).  

The new C1 and G1 are supposed to be game changers for OLED brightness.  The reviews are positive.  Waiting to see what the price tag is.  Will probably wIt for the first price drop next fall and pull the trigger in my main living room space (which is also very bright).  
Yeah I was contemplating that too but just couldn’t wait anymore.  I’m happy with my 85inch Q80 and with the 500$ gift card feel like I got a great deal.  

Just bought and installed a Samsung Q80t 75inch to replace my 10 yr old 65 inch Samsung plasma (which still has a stunningly good pic). Really happy so far, the difference in a 75 from 65 is significant.

But I have a question for those that bought this model.  In doing research to find the proper settings I came across a ton of complaints about this model and viewing sports.  Lots and lots of complaints about banding and juddering.  Threw on some March Madness and old replay of a Brees game on NFL TV and saw none of this. Most complaints were around network broadcasts.  Anyone here having that issue?  I watch a ton of sports and am still in the return window.  Would love to hear some thoughts. 

Also just a heads up but Best Buy is running a deal with this model where you get a $500 BB gift card with purchase ( @TheFanatic  not sure if your still in the market).  As I’m buying a new Xbox series X this will come in handy. 
DAMMIT! I am in the market and that would've been a nice incentive, but I just saw this. Finishing up my kitchen and then will be adding a TV. 

I'm close to the decision...So is OLED not a good option for a bright room?  We don't have direct sunlight hitting the TV, but its definitely a large, bright room.  

We currently have a LG UHD tv in there that seems just fine.  

I'm close to the decision...So is OLED not a good option for a bright room?  We don't have direct sunlight hitting the TV, but its definitely a large, bright room.  

Yeah peak brightness is where OLED’s lag behind, this shows up mostly in bright rooms.  In a dark man cave environment the O is the pretty obvious answer (price not with standing obviously).  I’ve been happy with my choice as the picture on the Q80T has been very good and it handles the brightness and reflections really well. 

Yeah peak brightness is where OLED’s lag behind, this shows up mostly in bright rooms.  In a dark man cave environment the O is the pretty obvious answer (price not with standing obviously).  I’ve been happy with my choice as the picture on the Q80T has been very good and it handles the brightness and reflections really well. 
Ugh...I was set on the OLED.  I'm happy with my current TV, I just want something bigger.  

OLED is about straight up double the price.  It looks damn good in Costco though.  

Ugh...I was set on the OLED.  I'm happy with my current TV, I just want something bigger.  

OLED is about straight up double the price.  It looks damn good in Costco though.  
The issue here is in the margins, just like anything when comparing 2 good things.   Not my money but I doubt the brightness issue is enough of a problem that you’ll dislike the TV.  By all rights O’s are great TV’s.  My decision came down to running across a deal that I didn’t want to miss. Absent that though I might’ve gone the O route.  Imo there’s no losing here. Each TV has its strength and “weakness”, it’s just trading one for the other.  

I know I have said it before, I do not understand the complaint about how bright OLED TV's get. My OLED is in my front room that has four windows. It is plenty bright. I honestly wouldn't make that my deciding factor. 

I have it in a bright room with a window right behind it. I just close the curtains and it works out.

It does well enough in a bright room, that the TV viewing during night more than makes up for it IMO. 

I was at a similar point, but I realized both my wife and I work AM shift so most of our viewing is at night anyways. 

Aside from football Sundays there's not much viewing on the weekend days for me. On the random weekdays I have off, I will at times put off watching a show or movie until later in the day just because I want to really appreciate the picture, but watching YouTube or cable TV is no problem during the day.

Long winded way of saying depends on your viewing habits and preference.

I know I have said it before, I do not understand the complaint about how bright OLED TV's get. My OLED is in my front room that has four windows. It is plenty bright. I honestly wouldn't make that my deciding factor. 
Yeah I have my OLED in a room with 3 big (albeit north-facing) windows. I can watch it on a bright sunny day and it's just fine. If I look REALLY hard I can sometimes see the windows/blinds reflected in the glass, but I have to work at it.

I just upgraded from a 12 year old 50" Panasonic plasma to 65" Sony A90J.  Big improvement.  The picture is great, but I'm not real sure it is worth the premium over an LG OLED.  

Mine is in the basement but even if I have all my lights on, I have my brightness around 50. I think it would be uncomfortable to look at if I turned the brightness all the way up. 

Mine is in the basement but even if I have all my lights on, I have my brightness around 50. I think it would be uncomfortable to look at if I turned the brightness all the way up. 
Mine is at 60 in said room with windows. Maybe people like watching TV while burning their retinas. ??

Well craptastic. My family room has one of two sliding glass doors on the back of my house. And we were thinking of adding another window to that room. It is a very real problem with reflection right now, albeit I have that stupid Samsung curve right now. (long story. I didn't pay for the curve. It was all they had in stock when my TV crapped out on Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend and had to buy on Cybermonday. I paid the exact same price as the non curved model). Like there are a few places on the couch you can't sit at certain times of the day. Maybe I am back to the Q8. 

Hawks64 said:
It's what they are calling their mini LED backlit TVs.
OK, so now that I have a very well lit room that I'm putting this TV in and have shifted away from the OLED back to the Samsung. is it worth paying the extra grand for the Neo stuff?

OK, so now that I have a very well lit room that I'm putting this TV in and have shifted away from the OLED back to the Samsung. is it worth paying the extra grand for the Neo stuff?
Depends on which models you're looking at. The QN90 maybe, the QN85 maybe not. Why moving away from OLED?

Users who are viewing this thread