What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own a 4K Television (2 Viewers)

I’ve heard this microchip shortage might lead to a TV shortage so if anyone is interested, I would move quick just in case.

I know - First World problems, but I'd have to say that there might be such a thing as too clear for movies.   

Could be my eyes, maybe my settings, but I can't seem to shake that the movies look a bit cheesy.   If I am honest, it's chipping away at my enjoyment of movies a tad.   Seems like older movies aren't as bad, but I was watching stuff like Pulp Fiction and Jurassic Park and I was distracted by it.  

I know - First World problems, but I'd have to say that there might be such a thing as too clear for movies.   

Could be my eyes, maybe my settings, but I can't seem to shake that the movies look a bit cheesy.   If I am honest, it's chipping away at my enjoyment of movies a tad.   Seems like older movies aren't as bad, but I was watching stuff like Pulp Fiction and Jurassic Park and I was distracted by it.  
Have you turned off/down your set's motion smoothing setting?

The other thing I never seem to get right that distracts are the blacks.  If it's a dark scene with a lot of black, they always look cloudy/swirly with motion in that area.   Ie a show like GoT looked terrible on the old TV and I have been surprised that it's basically the same thing for me on this one.  

I was just reading up on some settings.  I thought I did it off when I first got it, but maybe one of the kids reset it or something.  I will poke around more tonight.  
Your likely experiencing the soap opera effect.  Some people notice it others can’t unsee it (I’m in the second group). Turning off any motion management stuff will help.  What TV?

The other thing I never seem to get right that distracts are the blacks.  If it's a dark scene with a lot of black, they always look cloudy/swirly with motion in that area.   Ie a show like GoT looked terrible on the old TV and I have been surprised that it's basically the same thing for me on this one.  
Are you streaming or watching a disc? Streaming, you're likely seeing the effects of compression - and there's not much you can do to get around that.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so here's a twist. Before I pull the trigger on the TV I want (I just dropped the equivalent of multiple TV's on a new website for a new business venture), I'm going to put a TV in the boys room. So I want something cheap, decent, good for gaming. I'm thinking 55 inch. 

Definitely sounds like some motion smoothing settings going on. I think the OLED I have does a good job in pricing clear crisp pictures for newer movies and a film like grain for older movies. Every once in awhile there will be some makeup or visual effect that clearly wasn’t built with UHD in mind and it looks cheap but that’s not too often.

Definitely sounds like some motion smoothing settings going on. I think the OLED I have does a good job in pricing clear crisp pictures for newer movies and a film like grain for older movies. Every once in awhile there will be some makeup or visual effect that clearly wasn’t built with UHD in mind and it looks cheap but that’s not too often.
For sure.  Though if I’m honest I’m struggling with the SOE on my Q80t especially when compared to my previous Samsung plasma.  If I turn off all the motion settings the picture gets to juddery for me.  So I have to turn the motion on low and get some SOE.  

I will say I like this TV but don’t love it like I loved my Samsung.  But I guess there’s a reason why the Samsung was considered the best plasma ever.  

I find 4K movies can be too bright, etc.

I did fart around with the settings and I think it looks a bit better.  Yes, the motion smoothing was on (thanks for the reminder tip, guys! ).  I could have sworn I turned that off and used the settings that Charlie relinked when I first bought the thing, but either the kids reset some things, or I got high one night and did something.  :lol:  

I watched a few things, and it did look a bit less "fake" than what I was experiencing the last couple months.  

For sure.  Though if I’m honest I’m struggling with the SOE on my Q80t especially when compared to my previous Samsung plasma.  If I turn off all the motion settings the picture gets to juddery for me.  So I have to turn the motion on low and get some SOE.  

I will say I like this TV but don’t love it like I loved my Samsung.  But I guess there’s a reason why the Samsung was considered the best plasma ever.  
Is it juddery all the time or only when streaming? 

Is it juddery all the time or only when streaming? 
It’s more about fast moving “action” scenes vs streaming.  Was watching Captain America Civil War on TNT this weekend, the fight scenes were tough to watch as the juddering bothered me so much.  It very fast, not like a freeze frame type judder, but it’s one of those things that once you pick up on it you can’t unsee it when it happens. 

dkp993 said:
It’s more about fast moving “action” scenes vs streaming.  Was watching Captain America Civil War on TNT this weekend, the fight scenes were tough to watch as the juddering bothered me so much.  It very fast, not like a freeze frame type judder, but it’s one of those things that once you pick up on it you can’t unsee it when it happens. 
Interesting. Haven’t had that issue, action is usually pretty smooth. Thought some stuff on TV doesn’t look perfect when fast moving but I had the same issue with my plasma- just won’t think UVerse is giving true 1080. OLEDs supposedly have a skipping issue that doesn’t haven’t to do with action vs non action but seems to happen when streaming. The TV basically is so far superior to the stream that sometimes you can see missing frames is how I think it works. I had that issue at first but some slight tweaking to the settings and using a firestick instead my 4K player to stream fixed the issue.

Do you notice this when watching blu rays, 4Ks or playing video games?

Interesting. Haven’t had that issue, action is usually pretty smooth. Thought some stuff on TV doesn’t look perfect when fast moving but I had the same issue with my plasma- just won’t think UVerse is giving true 1080. OLEDs supposedly have a skipping issue that doesn’t haven’t to do with action vs non action but seems to happen when streaming. The TV basically is so far superior to the stream that sometimes you can see missing frames is how I think it works. I had that issue at first but some slight tweaking to the settings and using a firestick instead my 4K player to stream fixed the issue.

Interesting info here. Thanks.  What’s funny is the complaints I’ve seen with this TV are around sports and it seeming to skip frames when the action happens (like hiking the ball for example).  I’ve seen none of that with mine.  

Like you mention I’ve played around a ton with my motion settings.  Have found a spot where it seems to be the the best but it’s not gone.  

Haven’t watch any blu rays (in years really) or 4K content yet  Have played games and had no issue but it has a game mode it switches into which likely helps   Unfortunately that mode when watching TV really effects the color balance, brightness and over all picture,  To much so to adjust for it in those settings.   

I notice a slight skip occasionally on my LG OLED. I stream Xfinity through the LG App. Doesn't seem top happen streaming Netflix, Prime, etc. 

OK, so here's a twist. Before I pull the trigger on the TV I want (I just dropped the equivalent of multiple TV's on a new website for a new business venture), I'm going to put a TV in the boys room. So I want something cheap, decent, good for gaming. I'm thinking 55 inch. 
I think the next big thing for gaming is the HDMI 2.1, which there aren't tons of yet.  It's on my radar, but I'm waiting until everyone's stimulus money dries up. 

TCL - 75” Class 5 Series QLED 4K UHD Smart Roku TV $999
Samsung - HW-S60T 4.0ch All-in-One Soundbar with Alexa Built-in (2020) - Black

Having this installed next week.  Moved to new house six weeks ago and there is a game room and the seller left a nice, slate pool table.  Custom ping pong table can sit on pool table also.  Really looking forward to getting this room all decked out.

Just connected a Bluesound Pulse Soundbar 2.1. It's pretty awesome.
HDMI ARC related...

Sony did some sort of update to my 900h that made the HDMI ARC connection to the soundbar misbehave terribly. I was having to reboot the soundbar-which includes unplugging the unit, clearing cache out of the app, etc. A real hassle. It had some it occasionally but now it was a daily thing.

So I decided to run a digital optical cable instead. No more problems.

Plus, and it might be psychological, but I think the sound is better. It seems better balanced and more enveloping. Only downside is having to control volume through my phone.

Maybe HDMI isn't all that?

HDMI ARC related...

Sony did some sort of update to my 900h that made the HDMI ARC connection to the soundbar misbehave terribly. I was having to reboot the soundbar-which includes unplugging the unit, clearing cache out of the app, etc. A real hassle. It had some it occasionally but now it was a daily thing.

Plus, and it might be psychological, but I think the sound is better. It seems better balanced and more enveloping. Only downside is having to control volume through my phone.

HDMI is convenience and less cables.  But the sound should be the same.  Digital is digital.  There isn't good DTS and bad DTS.  If it's DTS it's the same whether it came through optical or HDMI.

HDMI is convenience and less cables.  But the sound should be the same.  Digital is digital.  There isn't good DTS and bad DTS.  If it's DTS it's the same whether it came through optical or HDMI.
Yes, I know. But I can't help think that the connection issues were symptomatic of a larger problem. Maybe it's a faulty HDMI port.

HDMI ARC related...

HDMI eARC just plain sucks. I turn it off on everything. For places where I have a soundbar I can use the cable remote to control power/volume of the TV/Soundbar/Cable. For my main just use my craptastic Harmony.

I will finally breaking down and calling Geek Squad.  we have such crap luck with electronics.  

Tv for some reason is not detecting internet on any app but Netflix, freezes up, the Google search pops up at random times, and pops out of apps a lot before the trouble with internet. 

KarmaPolice said:
I will finally breaking down and calling Geek Squad.  we have such crap luck with electronics.  

Tv for some reason is not detecting internet on any app but Netflix, freezes up, the Google search pops up at random times, and pops out of apps a lot before the trouble with internet. 
How far is the TV from the router?

Cracked the wallet open and bought The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly on 4K for $32.

Also Interstellar for $22 and Hell or High water for $12.

Interstellar I won't watch that often but when I do its going big sound and screen.

I usually buy used for $20 and under but I wasn't going to wait for the price drop.

Watching The Good...the Ugly with Oppo 4k player and Sony projector and the difference

with 2k and 4k is the shadows. 4K wasn't brighter but had a little more detail. Sound quality

seemed the same. This is the only movie I've done this with.

It would be nice to see more older movies Bullitt) on 4K. 

Heat 4K is only a on Amazon Prime. 

Just saw this pop-up in Amazon 

This 65" Sony OLED is normally $2,999 and is on sale for $1,699.
That seems like a good deal!  I've still been watching that 77 In OLED at Costco.  Its at $2999, down from about $3500 this summer. 

But I start looking again and now QNED is a thing?  Haven't seen one in person yet, but looking at black Friday deals on BestBuy and they're everywhere.  

Andy Dufresne said:
I finally got up the ambition to connect an actual 4k streaming device (Roku Stick+) to my TV and...wow does it make a difference.

If you're using your TVs internal apps to stream content, I would suggest you stop and get an external unit.
I'm curious if others feel the same. Perhaps your TV apps aren't very good? My LG OED looks amazing using the built in apps to stream 4k. 

I've been on that one for months now.  Its come down a good bit.  It looks like an optimal set up.  Still can't pull the trigger though.  The cheap part of me is battling hard.  

I have the C9 version of this TV from a couple of years ago.  I'd be happy buying the same TV now that I bought in 2019.  And I paid significantly more than the current generation is going for.  Unless this thing dies I don't expect to replace it for at least 10 years.  It's worth the money and the picture quality and features are state of the art.  I get that it's expensive but if you can afford it I'd recommend it.  You won't regret it IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread