What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own a 4K Television (1 Viewer)

Walking Boot said:
That price is the 65.

I don't think i have the guts to go 75. It'd literally cover my entire wall. 
And that’s a problem why?!??  I wish I coulda had the guts for the 85”, but it was a big jump in price from the 75” (approx addl $1,700) so stayed rational. 

rtings points out the TV has a pretty narrow viewing angle, if you're more to the side, the picture drops off quickly. What's been your experience?
I haven’t noticed any terrible drop off personally. I do have it wall mounted on a swivel mount so do angle screen to my viewing area when watching solo   But we have family movie nights where it’s straight like in first below pic and solid from all seating positions  

https://flic.kr/p/2hGpsxK

https://flic.kr/p/2hGsaiM

Last edited by a moderator:
Black Friday at Target has me interested.  TCL 50" 4k roku model for $250.  Same size 4k from Philips only $180. 

I love our TCL but the standard remote is really really bad. When I purchased, there was a model that was $50 more than the base version that included a Bluetooth remote. Definitely get that. 
Update: I bought a replacement Roku Bluetooth remote online for $20, which works great.

The 65" Sony x900f dropped to $1100 for one weekend at Best Buy, and Amazon and Walmart followed, then they all went up to $1200-1250 right after, before I pulled the trigger.

So I set a price alert at camelcamelcamel for $1100 and it went off this weekend, order it for $1098 and was going to have it delivered Tuesday.

Just got a follow up email that it's now $998, so canceled that order and replaced it with a new one, same delivery time. Looking forward to it!
Awesome deal. Way less than I paid. Great TV! 

Anyone have thoughts on 8k? 

I have seen a couple of models. They are certainly more expensive than 4k but not in a different stratosphere, but they seem to be future-proof. 

Four thousand for an 8k tv compared to twenty five hundred for a 4k but with a much longer lifespan doesn't seem unreasonable. 

Anyone have thoughts on 8k? 

I have seen a couple of models. They are certainly more expensive than 4k but not in a different stratosphere, but they seem to be future-proof. 

Four thousand for an 8k tv compared to twenty five hundred for a 4k but with a much longer lifespan doesn't seem unreasonable. 
My :2cents:

There isn't any content right now and by the time there is enough content to justify it there will be panel advancements that will make you wish you waited. Also, since there isn't any content and regular TV and sports aren't even 4k yet you're going to have to upscale it to from 1080p to 8k, I don't think it would look very good.

Just bought a 43" UHD 4K Samsung LED.

So far, very happy.

Got it for $499.00, normally it's about $700.00

Cant say on the second...the RU8000 is solid.  It was between that and the So y I bought a couple weeks ago so I looked  and researched it a lot (though,  a 55”).

One of the main reasons i chose the Sony was light reflection and side angles of the VA vs IPS panels.  As the room its now in has 4 big windows opposite the TV and is pretty bright.  As well as the capabilities of the Sony working well with our Alexa and some other devices)

Very crisp picture on the Samsung.  I think my brother in law has last years version of the RU8000 and likes it a lot.  He and my sister have Galaxy phones so they love how that all integrates smoothly as well.

Cant say on the second...the RU8000 is solid.  It was between that and the So y I bought a couple weeks ago so I looked  and researched it a lot (though,  a 55”).

One of the main reasons i chose the Sony was light reflection and side angles of the VA vs IPS panels.  As the room its now in has 4 big windows opposite the TV and is pretty bright.  As well as the capabilities of the Sony working well with our Alexa and some other devices)

Very crisp picture on the Samsung.  I think my brother in law has last years version of the RU8000 and likes it a lot.  He and my sister have Galaxy phones so they love how that all integrates smoothly as well.
I’m worried about the viewing angles. Second one or Sony supposed to have better viewing angles (along with a few other picture enhancements). 

Which Sony?

I just bought an LG 75 inch 4K Ultra HD Smart HDR for $729, and they gave me a gift card for $70 lowering the price to $659, a few weeks ago.

They still have them for $729 but I believe the gift card bonus is gone now.

We went from standard definition to this and the picture is amazing at any angle.

Edit to add from Sam's Club. this price is good through 12-24.

Wouldn't be my main TV (have a 75" Sony X900F in the basement theater), but looking to upgrade our 40" in the main floor living room off of the kitchen where kids watch movies, play video games, etc. 

Nothing fancy needed, but 4K 43"-50" and looking to spend lower $200's.  Any recommendations or good deals someone could link me to?

Nothing fancy needed, but 4K 43"-50" and looking to spend lower $200's.  Any recommendations or good deals someone could link me to?
JVC 50" Class 4K UHD 2160p HDR Roku Smart LED TV LT-50MAW595. $229 (marked down from $349 about a month ago).

Recently bought this model for our home. Liking it a lot so far. Very good reviews online (not on WalMart's site - Google the model number for in-depth industry reviews). No, not as good as a $1,500 TV ... but probably 90% as good.

Wouldn't be my main TV (have a 75" Sony X900F in the basement theater), but looking to upgrade our 40" in the main floor living room off of the kitchen where kids watch movies, play video games, etc. 

Lower $200s IMO means get a 43" TCL. I bought one for my parents and am still amazed how good it looks for that price.

Did a little research after my last post and realizing that wide viewing angles and low reflection (across from a bank of large windows) will be important for our situation  

I’m starting to lock into the 49” LG 49UM7300PUA.   Seeing it around $330  

it has an IPS panel so viewing angles get good reviews.  Haven’t seen anything about the screen reflection.

Yeah bigger and more expensive than originally thought, but hey, I am a FBG.  Anybody have good/bad things to say about this one? 

offdee said:
Did a little research after my last post and realizing that wide viewing angles and low reflection (across from a bank of large windows) will be important for our situation  

I’m starting to lock into the 49” LG 49UM7300PUA.   Seeing it around $330  

it has an IPS panel so viewing angles get good reviews.  Haven’t seen anything about the screen reflection.

Yeah bigger and more expensive than originally thought, but hey, I am a FBG.  Anybody have good/bad things to say about this one? 
After on AVS forum a bit was lead to a great online tool that gives a rating on every element you'd want to know about and can do side by side comparisons.

After some initial comparisons the LG UM7300 looks to be a great fit for my needs

- Viewing Angle: 7.0 rating (IPS Panel)

- Reflection handling: 8.7 rating

shows much better in both categories to the LG 6 series (last yr's model) and the Samsung RU7100.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-um6900-vs-lg-um7300/919/822?usage=7318&threshold=0.1

Andy Dufresne said:
Lower $200s IMO means get a 43" TCL. I bought one for my parents and am still amazed how good it looks for that price.
When I was researching last month, TCLs got great ratings. For most people who are not videophiles and who aren't used to bleeding-edge latest-&-greatest ... there are good-quality cheap 4K TVs out there.

TCL 6 series down $100 to $1199 at Best Buy

I've got to think this is as low as this will go until they phase this one out. I need to sign a couple new clients (this is my slowest time of the year), but once I do, this is mine. Heck, if those clients look promising, this is probably going to be mine. Now I just need an Atmos sound bar for something less than $500. 

TheFanatic said:
TCL 6 series down $100 to $1199 at Best Buy

I've got to think this is as low as this will go until they phase this one out. I need to sign a couple new clients (this is my slowest time of the year), but once I do, this is mine. Heck, if those clients look promising, this is probably going to be mine. Now I just need an Atmos sound bar for something less than $500. 
I thought you were getting an LG OLED? You won’t be sorry if you do. 

For the same reason I didn't, the 77" LG OLED is 5k. Hoping that the forth coming Vizio OLEDs bring the price down of the 75+" sizes.
That and I figure this is just a bridge to the 8K anyway. Go cheap on this and save the cash for the 8K stuff. 

That and I figure this is just a bridge to the 8K anyway. Go cheap on this and save the cash for the 8K stuff. 
Should be interesting to see how fast content shows up for it....and how much bandwidth it needs to stream. Not sure broadcast will ever catch up.

Should be interesting to see how fast content shows up for it....and how much bandwidth it needs to stream. Not sure broadcast will ever catch up.
Yeah, I think we say that for every new standard. That being said, this one might take a while to catch on. That's why I'm going big and high quality on this one so I can be content with it for quite some time until I can make that 8K jump. 

I've starting to get into some of the Criterion-type Blu Ray restorations of movies, but I think my Blu Ray player is not up to 4K and probably due for an upgrade.  Any recommendations on a good 4K blu ray player?

Yeah, I think we say that for every new standard. That being said, this one might take a while to catch on. That's why I'm going big and high quality on this one so I can be content with it for quite some time until I can make that 8K jump. 
Took a lot longer for 4k to catch on than 1080p and you still have the majority of TV being broadcast at 1080i IIRC. No one is doing UHD broadcasts yet. Now on the streaming side I think it will catch on much quicker but even then you still have services that aren't doing everything in 4k yet, although it's awesome that Disney+ is all Dolby Vision 4k

Took a lot longer for 4k to catch on than 1080p and you still have the majority of TV being broadcast at 1080i IIRC. No one is doing UHD broadcasts yet. Now on the streaming side I think it will catch on much quicker but even then you still have services that aren't doing everything in 4k yet, although it's awesome that Disney+ is all Dolby Vision 4k
It helps that bandwidth is going nuts right now. I remember upping my plan at one point to get to 18MB download. Now I pay way less for 100MB and rate out around 180MB. 

I've starting to get into some of the Criterion-type Blu Ray restorations of movies, but I think my Blu Ray player is not up to 4K and probably due for an upgrade.  Any recommendations on a good 4K blu ray player?
Do you want a blue ray player that upscales regular blue rays from their standard 1080p up to 4k, or do you want a 4k blu ray player (that will play these, as well as regular blu rays).

These TCL tvs are awesome and practically free.  Replaced a junky old 32" LCD in my bedroom with a 52" TCL Roku for something like $250.  Awesome. 
They are aren't they. Get a 6 series as your main tv. Then use one of the other series models for your extra tvs.

I got a 75 inch the other day. As a cord cutter, what is my goto here for 4K viewing?  I have Hulu, Prime, and upgraded my Netflix to the 4K plan. How do I know if what I’m watching is 4K compatible or not?  On some thing I can tell right away, others not so much. 

I got a 75 inch the other day. As a cord cutter, what is my goto here for 4K viewing?  I have Hulu, Prime, and upgraded my Netflix to the 4K plan. How do I know if what I’m watching is 4K compatible or not?  On some thing I can tell right away, others not so much. 
If you're using the TV as the streaming platform you should be good to go, if not then you need to make sure you have a 4K device. All of Disney+ is 4k and Dolby Vision, on Amazon Prime there are 4k shows and regular (I have searched for 4k Nameofshow), Netflix and Hulu both set it automatically based on display and network speed.

If you're using the TV as the streaming platform you should be good to go, if not then you need to make sure you have a 4K device. All of Disney+ is 4k and Dolby Vision, on Amazon Prime there are 4k shows and regular (I have searched for 4k Nameofshow), Netflix and Hulu both set it automatically based on display and network speed.
On Netflix at least you have to pay for higher quality streaming.

Do you want a blue ray player that upscales regular blue rays from their standard 1080p up to 4k, or do you want a 4k blu ray player (that will play these, as well as regular blu rays).
4K blu ray player that will play 4K discs (as well as regular stuff).  I have a couple of 4K blu rays that I bought, but not really getting the best picture out of them.

I got a couple of LG OLED 65” TVs for $1200 each from a friend that had just purchased them 6 months earlier.  One of those things.  I was buying new TVs and he was moving into a place that was already furnished.  Fantastic picture, but I was wondering if it was worth it.

I do love the contrast of true black and the viewing angles are fantastic.  I didn’t do a lot of comparison shopping against other technologies though.

I thought you were getting an LG OLED? You won’t be sorry if you do. 
I'm not going to wait for it to come down in price and also the burn in has me worried. I have 4 kids ranging from 11 to 3. All it would take is one weekend of me out of town and one of those kids leaving it on pause for 2 days...
I get it. I didn’t know you were looking at 75” now. Definitely that’s price prohibitive.

I don’t know anything about burn in on OLED; goes into power saving mode after a bit. 

Johnny Rock said:
I get it. I didn’t know you were looking at 75” now. Definitely that’s price prohibitive.

I don’t know anything about burn in on OLED; goes into power saving mode after a bit. 
I've never had anything bigger than a 55 inch. I want a monster for once. I was set on getting the QLED at 65 inches when I kept reading about that TCL 6 in here and now I'm sold. I'm going to pick it up in the next couple weeks. 

Users who are viewing this thread