What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own a 4K Television (2 Viewers)

Does anyone own a Westinghouse Roku? I have a tcl Roku and was wondering if there is really much of a difference with Westinghouse 

Does anyone own a Westinghouse Roku? I have a tcl Roku and was wondering if there is really much of a difference with Westinghouse 
Total speculation, but I believe TCL makes their own panels and they’re starting to become pretty good quality. Westinghouse are just rebranded low quality and dated panels and electronics. 

Insane to me how cheap these 75" screens have become.  Just insane.  Makes me want to go buy them and put them all over my house 
I hear you. It's silly, but I've thought about updating more than just one TV because this deal is so good. It's not going to happen, but I've thought about t. 

I am looking at putting a new TV in the basement of our new house.  It is currently the kid's area but when they get kicked out will probably become my man cave.  I was originally thinking about 2 50-60 inch TVs so I could have 2 games on at once or kids can play 2 xboxs at once but the wife is not real keen on that idea so I will probably go with 1 larger TV for the time being.  The TCL 4 series 75" above caught my eye because it would fit very nicely on that wall.  

The question I have is should I go for the larger lower end model or go with the smaller TCL 6 series 65 inch at the same price?  The TV will mainly be used for video games with the occasional sporting event.  It will not be a main TV so I am not looking for a high $ at this point and the TCL seems to be a very good TV at a fairly reasonable price.  I also like the fact of the Roku TV because we have cut the cord.

I am looking at putting a new TV in the basement of our new house.  It is currently the kid's area but when they get kicked out will probably become my man cave.  I was originally thinking about 2 50-60 inch TVs so I could have 2 games on at once or kids can play 2 xboxs at once but the wife is not real keen on that idea so I will probably go with 1 larger TV for the time being.  The TCL 4 series 75" above caught my eye because it would fit very nicely on that wall.  

The question I have is should I go for the larger lower end model or go with the smaller TCL 6 series 65 inch at the same price?  The TV will mainly be used for video games with the occasional sporting event.  It will not be a main TV so I am not looking for a high $ at this point and the TCL seems to be a very good TV at a fairly reasonable price.  I also like the fact of the Roku TV because we have cut the cord.
I believe both models are rated good for gaming.  Since it won't be your main TV 10 extra inches is 10 extra inchs. If it was going to be your main TV I would say the 6 series. 

Is it that noticable over standard LCD?
LED is better than LCD. I’ve never seen 4K on an LCD display so I can’t really comment on that. The TV we replaced was a 60” Samsung 4K that was only a few years old. The technology and picture quality is very similar on both, I’d give a slight edge to the Samsung (which I paid $1100 for). This TCL is a steal at $699. 

I have a 50” TV built into a bunch of woodwork over a fireplace.  It’s in our den and the main TV my wife and I watch on. I was considering upgrading to an OLED, but am I right they don’t make them smaller than 55”??  Unfortunately that will be too big for the cutout. 

One option is one of those movable mounts that  would allow it to float out over the top of the woodwork, and they even allow you to pull it out further and down to get more to eye level when you’re watching. That would allow me to get a much bigger set. But I just think it looks a whole lot more cluttered and less clean. 

Am I right I can’t get an OLED smaller than 55”?

ETA: looks like LG is introducing a 48” OLED. Not available yet it seems:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.t3.com/amp/news/lg-reveals-the-worlds-first-48-inch-oled-4k-tv-bringing-cheap-oled-for-all

Last edited by a moderator:
looking at a samsung Q70 QLED for main TV. (Fairly bright room, watch a lot of sports, worried about OLED burnin).

Are the prices we're seeing right now,  i.e. Q70 55 inch for 997, the lowest we'll see for awhile? Was waiting for them to drop below 850, not sure when that will happen.

looking at a samsung Q70 QLED for main TV. (Fairly bright room, watch a lot of sports, worried about OLED burnin).

Are the prices we're seeing right now,  i.e. Q70 55 inch for 997, the lowest we'll see for awhile? Was waiting for them to drop below 850, not sure when that will happen.
You shouldn’t be worried about OLED burn in unless you’re gonna be doing a lot of gaming on it, no?  Seems like OLED is such a no brainer. 

You shouldn’t be worried about OLED burn in unless you’re gonna be doing a lot of gaming on it, no?  Seems like OLED is such a no brainer. 
I'll leave the TV on soccer for several hours on Saturday morning.  they usually have a score box in upper left corner (which doesn't change much in soccer). not to mention ESPN scroll at bottom thatt usually says ESPN  in lower left cirner

plus OLED is supposedly made for dark rooms not bright.

I was in a best  buy on Friday and found a TCL 8 series. What's the scoop on that?

I also saw the Samsung 8K. Whoooooo boy. So whatever I buy now is just a placeholder for one of those. 

I'm guessing this is the reason we are seeing the 6 series price drops? Phase out the 6 and make way for the 8. 
Probably not, think the 6 will be around awhile and you'll see the 5 go. Then they will have 3 series 4 (Low), 6 (Mid) and 8 (High).

Otis said:
I have a 50” TV built into a bunch of woodwork over a fireplace.  It’s in our den and the main TV my wife and I watch on. I was considering upgrading to an OLED, but am I right they don’t make them smaller than 55”??  Unfortunately that will be too big for the cutout. 

I think you are looking this wrong and should consider this an opportunity to redo the entire area above the mantle. Remove the excess wood panels and create a recessed entertainment center in that place.  That will create a space with way more options. 

I think you are looking this wrong and should consider this an opportunity to redo the entire area above the mantle. Remove the excess wood panels and create a recessed entertainment center in that place.  That will create a space with way more options. 
@OtisI agree with this.   Too much wood in there anyways makes it very heavy feeling....removing the wood panels above the mantel and just filling that space with a big ### mounted TV angled down a bit is the best of both worlds.  

I personally wouldn't recess anything though as Jaysus suggests.   There are plenty of TV mounts that hug the wall closely (2" away), but then allow you to pull out and angle the screen, etc when want better viewing angles.  Then just push back flush straight against the wall when not using.  The lightweight of TV's these days making moving TVs on a wall mount a breeze. Don't limit yourself or make it harder by making a recessed area.   

The wood mantel, wood on sides of firebox and the shelving flanking each side along with the wood crown molding is good balance where you can get rid of those panels, drywall it, paint it black (to match the firebox and tv frame) and cover 90% of it with a sweet TV.    Especially this being your main TV viewing area.   While you're at it, wire in and mount speakers in that space above mantel too.   Would look sweet.     Probably about $5K.

Great points guys.  We actually just got a quote to have the whole unit sprayed white (to brighten up the room — that was done by the prior owners).  But maybe I can just have them cut out a larger space over the fireplace for a larger TV, and I could drop in a larger (65”?) OLED after they do the cutting and paint it.  Maybe I’ll buy the TV first and just have them figure out a way to custom fit it....

Although the room is narrow — the back wall is only like 10 feet from the TV, so really you’re sitting probably like 6-8 feet from the TV.  Too much bigger may be a little overwhelming...

Great points guys.  We actually just got a quote to have the whole unit sprayed white (to brighten up the room — that was done by the prior owners).  But maybe I can just have them cut out a larger space over the fireplace for a larger TV, and I could drop in a larger (65”?) OLED after they do the cutting and paint it.  Maybe I’ll buy the TV first and just have them figure out a way to custom fit it....

Although the room is narrow — the back wall is only like 10 feet from the TV, so really you’re sitting probably like 6-8 feet from the TV.  Too much bigger may be a little overwhelming...
Do not custom fit it. Make sure you have space for a bigger TV over time.

Do not custom fit it. Make sure you have space for a bigger TV over time.
Exactly.   Don't make this harder than it needs to be.   Just clear the panels over the mantel...keep the mantel and the crown molding. and that is perfect framing for a TV and mounted speakers (one on each side and a center speaker below it).     As Hawks said, give yourself the option to go bigger down the line.

Got it -- good points.  I'm tempted to get up there with a crow bar and pull off the wood myself to see what it looks like back there....but may as well just have "the guy" do it, since he was coming in to paint anyway....  would just need to clean it up a little I assume with some moldings, and paint the brick behind it if the brick is funny looking (or expose it if the brick looks good)

Thanks gents, good ideas.  

https://www.inchcalculator.com/tv-size-viewing-distance-calculator/

With the TV up mounted high above mantel the distance is increased also. Have your wife hold tape measure from where middle of TV is to your head sitting on the couch.  Use calculator above.  With OLED and 4K crispiness you can go bigger than you expect and really immerse yourself in the picture.

offdee said:
Yep.  I'm about 10 ft from my 75" and wish I would've gone with the 85"  (although would've been $1,500 more expensive for that upgrade)
It's crazy how little it costs to upgrade from 55 to 65, but another 10 inches is crazy expensive and the next 10 is ridiculous. 

Mrs. O shutting me down hard on pulling down the wood over the mantle.  So maybe we'll just be keeping it as is (painting it white with all the rest, so it's not so dark and overbearing), and I'll upgrade to that 48" LG OLED soon as it's available.

Mrs. O shutting me down hard on pulling down the wood over the mantle.  So maybe we'll just be keeping it as is (painting it white with all the rest, so it's not so dark and overbearing), and I'll upgrade to that 48" LG OLED soon as it's available.
Did you tell her that I said it was ok?  Try that if not. 

Does she not understand who you are?! You're Otis. Lay the hammer down. 

Figured this would be a good place too ask this. I recently got a 4k TV, but I haven't taken the time to get the 4k cable box for it. Thinking about the Super Bowl on Sunday, and I have a 4k FireStick and with that I have access to the FoxSports App that is supposed to be playing the game in 4k.

The stupid geek in me is wondering if anyone knows if the FoxSports App will be broadcasting the game normally or in a streaming mode, which to me means without commercials. And everyone knows the commercials are one of the important things in the Super Bowl!

Figured this would be a good place too ask this. I recently got a 4k TV, but I haven't taken the time to get the 4k cable box for it. Thinking about the Super Bowl on Sunday, and I have a 4k FireStick and with that I have access to the FoxSports App that is supposed to be playing the game in 4k.

The stupid geek in me is wondering if anyone knows if the FoxSports App will be broadcasting the game normally or in a streaming mode, which to me means without commercials. And everyone knows the commercials are one of the important things in the Super Bowl!

This is how I’m going to watch also. I’d have to imagine it will be the same broadcast as the over the air feed. I’d be shocked if they didn’t show the same commercials. I will do some digging to see if I can find any info since there will be a few females watching with us and they’ll be more into the commercials and halftime show than the game lol. 

These deals are so hard to pass up, but I just can't pull the trigger replacing the two Panasonic ST60's I have. They are just too good and no need to spend the money at the moment. 

These deals are so hard to pass up, but I just can't pull the trigger replacing the two Panasonic ST60's I have. They are just too good and no need to spend the money at the moment. 
So I thought the same thing but wanted a bigger TV, I was coming from a 60" Samsung plasma. Was going to go 65" OLED but then saw the TCL 75 6 Series for 1300 and jumped on it. Do not regret it all. In fact, I am now eagerly waiting for 85" screens to come down in price.

So I thought the same thing but wanted a bigger TV, I was coming from a 60" Samsung plasma. Was going to go 65" OLED but then saw the TCL 75 6 Series for 1300 and jumped on it. Do not regret it all. In fact, I am now eagerly waiting for the 85" to come down in price.
There's a TCL 6 series 85 inch?  :jawdrop:

On the 8K front. Is this something that is dependent on 5G rolling out to handle that sort of bandwidth?

There's a TCL 6 series 85 inch?  :jawdrop:

On the 8K front. Is this something that is dependent on 5G rolling out to handle that sort of bandwidth?
They don't have one, sorry for confusion. I meant for 85s to start coming down in price.

That's what I've heard about 5G but am not sure how that impacts it....it's not like broadcasters are going to use 5G, maybe from the standpoint of consumers being able to access it?

So... thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these.  Have Directv. 

What do I need to know about equipment? 

Will I need to upgrade the box (will check model when I get home)?

Are they doing this for free?

Does programming costs increase?

So... thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these.  Have Directv. 

What do I need to know about equipment? 

Will I need to upgrade the box (will check model when I get home)?

Are they doing this for free?

Does programming costs increase?
Not sure what DirecTv does but I needed a new Xfinity box and I had to upgrade my Amazon FireTv to 4k. I had no programming cost increase, and Xfinity gave me the box without cost.

Not sure what DirecTv does but I needed a new Xfinity box and I had to upgrade my Amazon FireTv to 4k. I had no programming cost increase, and Xfinity gave me the box without cost.
I have xfinity internet, but not tv.

only subscriptions to prime and Netflix

:shrug:

They don't have one, sorry for confusion. I meant for 85s to start coming down in price.
I'm watching that too. The Samsung Q70 is $3000. And while my business is about to go through the roof, I'm not sure I want to be that guy that drops that much money on a TV because I can. But man, how cool will that be?

On a side note, in an ad on my phone in a sale page for TV's at Target were about 8 TV's the most expensive being $699 and one Sony what was 98 inches and $59,998. I don't know why I found that hilarious but I did. Because that's where I buy all my $60K TV's. Embedded internet ads. 

What content does comcast have in 4k?  Found a page of theirs that only lists the upcoming Super Bowl and some upcoming college BBall games.  I have the netflix app and amazon app built into my TV itself.

Users who are viewing this thread