Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ask dynasty questions here

Tick

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New to IDP and I'm hitting the home stretch of a startup where we only start 5IDP (1DL,2LB,1DB,1FLX) where the scoring is tackle heavy, and I'm trying to build a team to compete in 2015 and haven't put much focus yet to my IDPs as I've been steadily building up my IOPs.

Are any of these LBs considered "building blocks"?
Bruce Carter
Telvin Smith
Zach Brown
Sean Weatherspoon (worth an IR stash?)
Lamin Barrow
Vincent Rey

Demario Davis

Chris Borland

Daryl Washington (is he worth stashing for the time he's suspended?)

Manti Te'o

Or should I just focus on acquiring older vets and just keep churning thru them year to year and work the waiver wire for matchups?

Thanks!

You did the right thing by going for offense rather than defense in a startup with those small lineups.

Washington and Weatherspoon are the guys who jump out, but Washington's one strike from a permaban, and Weatherspoon is injured again in a changing defense. If you have an extra roster spot, you could pick one to stash - probably Washington.

Of the other guys, I think Te'o isn't really a building block, but is a chance worth taking. He's young, his performance last season wasn't as bad as people think it was, and it's explainable based on injury at the beginning of a rookie season. Long-term, he should be a 3-down MLB. I'd pick him over anyone else on the list.

Older vets are the way to go in dynasty IDP in my opinion. I don't know that I'd swap them week to week, but if others in your league are focused on drafting young foundation players, you can clean up with Daryl Smith types that you just plug in until he's done.

IDP-only isn't a format I've done. I'm assuming balanced scoring (roughly 1 per tackle, 3 per big play) and dynasty. 10 teams, only 2 of each means there will be good stuff on the waiver wire. I guess I'd go for a super-stud player at any position first since the wire will have strong players. To me, that means:

LB: Kuechly and David, maybe Burfict, Willis, and Dansby

DL: Watt, Quinn, maybe Hardy

DB: None, really.

If you can get one of those 8 guys, you're in good shape.

As far as positional comparisons, I'd say with the depth, gradual dropoff, and reliability of DBs, I'd put them third. Probably DE-LB-DB in general.

For the top DBs, I haven't ranked them, but my top 4 would be Weddle, Church, Branch, Cyprien. I see a little dropoff after that.

You did the right thing by going for offense rather than defense in a startup with those small lineups.

Washington and Weatherspoon are the guys who jump out, but Washington's one strike from a permaban, and Weatherspoon is injured again in a changing defense. If you have an extra roster spot, you could pick one to stash - probably Washington.

Of the other guys, I think Te'o isn't really a building block, but is a chance worth taking. He's young, his performance last season wasn't as bad as people think it was, and it's explainable based on injury at the beginning of a rookie season. Long-term, he should be a 3-down MLB. I'd pick him over anyone else on the list.

Older vets are the way to go in dynasty IDP in my opinion. I don't know that I'd swap them week to week, but if others in your league are focused on drafting young foundation players, you can clean up with Daryl Smith types that you just plug in until he's done.

Thanks Tick

I'm looking to potentially add another DL in this startup that I'm doing, I currently only have Ninkovich.

There's over 425 players off the board now, so the pickings are slim.

Thoughts on the following DL (or any suggestions?)

Dion Jordan

Andre Branch

William Gholston

Jerry Hughes

Malik Jackson/Derek Wolfe

Cedric Thornton

Osi

Scoring is 1.5 TKL, 2 SCK, 1.5 TFL

Thanks!

Thanks Tick

I'm looking to potentially add another DL in this startup that I'm doing, I currently only have Ninkovich.

There's over 425 players off the board now, so the pickings are slim.

Thoughts on the following DL (or any suggestions?)

Dion Jordan

Andre Branch

William Gholston

Jerry Hughes

Malik Jackson/Derek Wolfe

Cedric Thornton

Osi

Scoring is 1.5 TKL, 2 SCK, 1.5 TFL

Thanks!

Branch is intriguing this year - they've cleared some room for him by dropping Babin and are speaking highly of him.

Jerry Hughes is in a very good situation. He was a first rounder, if he's ever going to work out, this is the opportunity.

IDP-only isn't a format I've done. I'm assuming balanced scoring (roughly 1 per tackle, 3 per big play) and dynasty. 10 teams, only 2 of each means there will be good stuff on the waiver wire. I guess I'd go for a super-stud player at any position first since the wire will have strong players. To me, that means:

LB: Kuechly and David, maybe Burfict, Willis, and Dansby

DL: Watt, Quinn, maybe Hardy

DB: None, really.

If you can get one of those 8 guys, you're in good shape.

As far as positional comparisons, I'd say with the depth, gradual dropoff, and reliability of DBs, I'd put them third. Probably DE-LB-DB in general.

For the top DBs, I haven't ranked them, but my top 4 would be Weddle, Church, Branch, Cyprien. I see a little dropoff after that.

There was some great strategy discussion in the last IDP Roundtable. From what Bramel and Norton were saying, my thinking is a year behind - they're advocating going for an LB first now. The podcast is free - give it a listen.

Tick: Looking for your opinion on ranking my LBs from best to worst.... Another owner in my league is asking about some of my LBs and I'm just looking for another opinion.

Start 4, 2pts solo, 1pt assist, 4pt sack, 2pt pass def, 4pt INT; rank the following: Mychal Kendricks, Alec Ogletree, Paul Worrilow, Perry Riley, Von Miller, Donald Butler, Zach Brown, Jamie Collins, and Keenan Robinson.

Thanks in advance.

I'll go:

Ogletree: Young, very good rookie season

Butler: No competition for tackles, enough talent to take advantage

Kendricks: Young in a good situation

Worrilow: Great situation this year, not sure he's a long-term answer

Riley then Robinson: Not sure how this scheme works out for them, but at least one should hit

Brown: Not sold on his ability, not sure of his fit

Collins: Meh - seems like just a guy, and it feels like we're always chasing a second LB in NE that never really shows up

Miller: I just can't make myself start a 3-4 OLB. I can always convince myself that someone else has a better matchup against a rushing team.

I'll go:

Ogletree: Young, very good rookie season

Butler: No competition for tackles, enough talent to take advantage

Kendricks: Young in a good situation

Worrilow: Great situation this year, not sure he's a long-term answer

Riley then Robinson: Not sure how this scheme works out for them, but at least one should hit

Brown: Not sold on his ability, not sure of his fit

Collins: Meh - seems like just a guy, and it feels like we're always chasing a second LB in NE that never really shows up

Miller: I just can't make myself start a 3-4 OLB. I can always convince myself that someone else has a better matchup against a rushing team.

Thanks, Tick.

He was specifically asking about Butler and I agree with your analysis that he has little competition and is just good enough to produce. Worrilow seems to be a sell high to me, but if he can get better in real life then maybe he'll be part of the long term plans. Thanks, again!

In a balanced scoring league, would you trade Jeremy Maclin for Kenny Vaccaro and a 2015 2nd?

I have Calvin, Jordy, Garcon, Cooper, M Williams, Woods & Wheaton at WR (Start 2-5) as well, so Maclin would not be missed hugely and I need some DB help.

I rarely advocate trading offense for defense. In this case, it's a toss-up. I'd call Maclin worth about a late-1st, and I'd rate Vaccaro at around a mid-2nd, so two 2s for a 1 is about right.

I do think Maclin would start for you pretty much every week. Can you hold off for a month and see whether you can get a promising late-riser at DB during camps?

I've got Arthur Brown sitting on my taxi squad. By tomorrow I have to decide if I want to move him to my roster, I need the space for rookies from the rookie draft. It is a contract league, so I can sign him to 1-3 years. With Mosley in the building, do you see Arthur Brown starting within 1-2 years?

I've got Arthur Brown sitting on my taxi squad. By tomorrow I have to decide if I want to move him to my roster, I need the space for rookies from the rookie draft. It is a contract league, so I can sign him to 1-3 years. With Mosley in the building, do you see Arthur Brown starting within 1-2 years?

Uh, I don't know. Yes, I see him starting. I just don't know what that will mean. Mosley seems like the dynamic one, with Brown maybe as a thumper... but he seems to have the skill set to play passing downs. I think I'd hold him, but I'd have a frown on my face when I did it.

It seems like Cincinnati has been a mess at LB for a really long time. I'd go with Rey, but know that he's the higher-risk, higher-payoff guy. He could get the 3-down MLB... but Maualuga has never really done much with that position.

My first year in dynasty and my first real attempt at IDP, have played FF for 3 years. I recently adopted a team and have evaluated it, but would really appreciate your keen eye and any advice that you have. I am one of the weakest overall rosters in the 10 team league, so my goal this year is to try to be competitive and try to win, but moreover build for next season and after. This to me means no major trades, but work the free agent market like a mad man and pick up players in the draft that I think will be elite at their position and be patient with them.

10 team league, 2 round draft (most people pick rookies, though we can pick from any existing free agents too), my draft position is 1.2 and 2.2. 2 days after the draft is over, all free agents will be available first come first served and I have some targets in mind. We have about a month until the draft.

15 starters, 15 bench (we do have 2 IR spots) (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 D/ST, 1 K, 2 LB, 2 DL, 2 DB)

My current roster after dropping useless players:

QB: Cam Newton, EJ Manuel (Ryan Tannehill is a FA, should I drop EJ for him or be patient with EJ?)

RB: Trent Richardson, Ben Tate, Fred Jackson, Marcus Lattimore (possible FA: Bernard Pierce, Toby Gerhart, Bryce Brown, Christine Michael, Khiry Robinson, Dangelo Williams)

WR: Marques Colston, D'Andre Hopkins, Rueben Randle, Kenbrell Thompkins, Aaron Dobson (possible FA: Terrance Williams (I'm planning on grabbing him))

TE: Greg Olsen, Martellus Bennett (FA: Dennis Pitta, Zach Ertz- I like both these guys but if I had to choose 1 I'd replace Bennett with Pitta)

K: Matt Bryant (irrelevant since I play matchups)

D/ST: Broncos (I plan to pick up the Browns and keep both)

LB: Paul Posluszny, Alec Ogletree, Ryan Kerrigan, Thomas Davis, Melvin Ingram (FA: lots to choose from including Jerrell Freeman, Riley Perry)

DL: Calais Campbell, Lamarr Houston (FA: Cameron Jordan possibly?)

DB: Duke Ihenacho, Tracy Porter, Bernard Pollard, Harrison Smith

Offense is pretty standard scoring, 6 pts each TD, NOT PPR, Ind Defense it is a big play league: Sacks and FF 4 pts, INT 6 pts, Safety 10 pts, Tackles 1 pt, Asst 1 pt, fumble recover, stuffs, and pass defended 3 pts, blocked punt, PAT, or FG 5 pts

I think I'm fairly solid on LB and DL, not sure about DB but lots of FA and from what I've read, most people play matchups and churn them. Do you see anyone that I should clearly cut (Lattimore? any of the defense?) and any of the FA mentioned that I should pick up (or any other possible names to look for?). The guy that has the 1.1 is full on good WR, including 2 elite, and weak on RB and LB so I'm pretty sure he will be targeting Sankey or Clowney (not saying that's his best move) which would leave me with the choice of Watkins or Evans or anyone else for my first pick (who would you recommend?). With my 2nd pick at 2,2 I would take Hyde if he were still on the board, or Terrance West, but I'm not too crazy about any of the other RB in the draft and quite certain there will be several left over after the draft. I think for example I could get Kadeem Carey from the FA market after the draft and with Forte's age, he may be a good stash.

So as a quick recap, if I keep all of the players that I have, I currently have 4 open spots, 2 will be filled via draft. I would like to get 1 elite WR and 1 potentially solid RB out of the draft, neither has to start for me this season. I'd like to get Toby Gerhart in FA since he has a good starting spot, and 1 other RB (Brown to handcuff Jackson since he will be taking that role when Jackson is injured or retired, or ?) If I pick up Terrance Williams as a FA I would drop whichever of Thompkins/Dobson looks to be less likely to be the best now and future to make room unless you see a defender that is an obvious cut.

Thanks!

Team has approached me with Donald Butler(1 year). Initially asked for Ziggy Ansah (4 years), then Mario Williams (1 year). I was leaning towards passing on both, possibly countering with Chris Long. Cap is 120 years for 50-60 roster spots. Relevant parts of team and scoring below. Thoughts? Thanks in advance

DE: Wake (1 year), Mario (1 year), Ansah (4 years), Long (2 years)
LB- Alonso (2), Ellerbe (2), Hightower (3), Ryans (1), Spikes, Hali, Fortt, Shembo

DE Scoring:
Tackles- 3
Assists- 1.5
Sacks- 4
TFL- 2
Passes Defended- 4
FF- 3

LB Scoring:
Tackles- 2
Assists- 1
Sacks- 3
TFL- 2
Passes Defended- 4
FF-3

My first year in dynasty and my first real attempt at IDP, have played FF for 3 years. I recently adopted a team and have evaluated it, but would really appreciate your keen eye and any advice that you have. I am one of the weakest overall rosters in the 10 team league, so my goal this year is to try to be competitive and try to win, but moreover build for next season and after. This to me means no major trades, but work the free agent market like a mad man and pick up players in the draft that I think will be elite at their position and be patient with them.

10 team league, 2 round draft (most people pick rookies, though we can pick from any existing free agents too), my draft position is 1.2 and 2.2. 2 days after the draft is over, all free agents will be available first come first served and I have some targets in mind. We have about a month until the draft.

15 starters, 15 bench (we do have 2 IR spots) (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 D/ST, 1 K, 2 LB, 2 DL, 2 DB)

My current roster after dropping useless players:

QB: Cam Newton, EJ Manuel (Ryan Tannehill is a FA, should I drop EJ for him or be patient with EJ?)

RB: Trent Richardson, Ben Tate, Fred Jackson, Marcus Lattimore (possible FA: Bernard Pierce, Toby Gerhart, Bryce Brown, Christine Michael, Khiry Robinson, Dangelo Williams)

WR: Marques Colston, D'Andre Hopkins, Rueben Randle, Kenbrell Thompkins, Aaron Dobson (possible FA: Terrance Williams (I'm planning on grabbing him))

TE: Greg Olsen, Martellus Bennett (FA: Dennis Pitta, Zach Ertz- I like both these guys but if I had to choose 1 I'd replace Bennett with Pitta)

K: Matt Bryant (irrelevant since I play matchups)

D/ST: Broncos (I plan to pick up the Browns and keep both)

LB: Paul Posluszny, Alec Ogletree, Ryan Kerrigan, Thomas Davis, Melvin Ingram (FA: lots to choose from including Jerrell Freeman, Riley Perry)

DL: Calais Campbell, Lamarr Houston (FA: Cameron Jordan possibly?)

DB: Duke Ihenacho, Tracy Porter, Bernard Pollard, Harrison Smith

Offense is pretty standard scoring, 6 pts each TD, NOT PPR, Ind Defense it is a big play league: Sacks and FF 4 pts, INT 6 pts, Safety 10 pts, Tackles 1 pt, Asst 1 pt, fumble recover, stuffs, and pass defended 3 pts, blocked punt, PAT, or FG 5 pts

I think I'm fairly solid on LB and DL, not sure about DB but lots of FA and from what I've read, most people play matchups and churn them. Do you see anyone that I should clearly cut (Lattimore? any of the defense?) and any of the FA mentioned that I should pick up (or any other possible names to look for?). The guy that has the 1.1 is full on good WR, including 2 elite, and weak on RB and LB so I'm pretty sure he will be targeting Sankey or Clowney (not saying that's his best move) which would leave me with the choice of Watkins or Evans or anyone else for my first pick (who would you recommend?). With my 2nd pick at 2,2 I would take Hyde if he were still on the board, or Terrance West, but I'm not too crazy about any of the other RB in the draft and quite certain there will be several left over after the draft. I think for example I could get Kadeem Carey from the FA market after the draft and with Forte's age, he may be a good stash.

So as a quick recap, if I keep all of the players that I have, I currently have 4 open spots, 2 will be filled via draft. I would like to get 1 elite WR and 1 potentially solid RB out of the draft, neither has to start for me this season. I'd like to get Toby Gerhart in FA since he has a good starting spot, and 1 other RB (Brown to handcuff Jackson since he will be taking that role when Jackson is injured or retired, or ?) If I pick up Terrance Williams as a FA I would drop whichever of Thompkins/Dobson looks to be less likely to be the best now and future to make room unless you see a defender that is an obvious cut.

Thanks!

Taking this in bites as I read through...

I'd go with Tannehill over Manuel - I still think Tannehill is talented and will come through. With Manuel, I feel like it's a bit of Tim Tebow thing - better FF QB than real-life QB.

Don't let Gerhart be a FA - take him in the draft if he falls to your 2nd pick.

Get what you can for Fred Jackson in a trade. He's never going to be useful for you in a season where you have a strong team. I'd much rather have Michael than Jackson or Lattimore.

At TE, I'd actually grab Ertz ahead of Pitta.

Riley over Ingram easily for me.

I consider Jordan to be a stud DE. I'd replace Houston with him.

Other than the interceptions at 6 points, I would call that a very balanced league.

Watkins-Evans is my top 2 in any rookie draft.

Team has approached me with Donald Butler(1 year). Initially asked for Ziggy Ansah (4 years), then Mario Williams (1 year). I was leaning towards passing on both, possibly countering with Chris Long. Cap is 120 years for 50-60 roster spots. Relevant parts of team and scoring below. Thoughts? Thanks in advance

LB- Alonso (2), Ellerbe (2), Hightower (3), Ryans (1), Spikes, Hali, Fortt, Shembo

DE Scoring:

Tackles- 3

Assists- 1.5

Sacks- 4

TFL- 2

Passes Defended- 4

FF- 3

LB Scoring:

Tackles- 2

Assists- 1

Sacks- 3

TFL- 2

Passes Defended- 4

FF-3

How many do you start at DE and LB?

DE Scoring:

Tackles- 3

Assists- 1.5

Sacks- 4

TFL- 2

Passes Defended- 4

FF- 3

LB Scoring:

Tackles- 2

Assists- 1

Sacks- 3

TFL- 2

Passes Defended- 4

FF-3

It is very flexible, so 1-4 DE's and 1-5 LB's

DE Scoring:

Tackles- 3

Assists- 1.5

Sacks- 4

TFL- 2

Passes Defended- 4

FF- 3

LB Scoring:

Tackles- 2

Assists- 1

Sacks- 3

TFL- 2

Passes Defended- 4

FF-3

It is very flexible, so 1-4 DE's and 1-5 LB's

I agree - pass on Ansah and Williams. I also agree on offering Long - seems worth it to me.

In a start 2-5 DL (DT+DE) with sack heavy scoring, I have been offered a 2014 4th for Suh.

I own C Jordan, M Johnson, Long, Woodley, Hughes, Robison, Sheard, Donald & Easley so am deep at the position and am not against trading Suh at all, but do you think this is fair value for him?

To give context he was the 34th highest DL scorer in 2013 & 21st in 2012.

Other thing to consider is that he has a $14 salary, out of a total of $1000 so I'd make a small saving there.

I agree that you don't need Suh, so getting something for him is good. I'd shoot for a 3rd, maybe throw him a 6th back. If he won't go for it, try to get a little extra - in addition to the 4th, see if you can get a 6th as well, or maybe send a 6th for a 5th. I also try to do a trade-up sometimes... Suh plus a 4th for a 3rd. I think it was Biabreakable who got it in my head that you should always try to get a little draft bump thrown into every deal. It's served me well.

Thanks for the help. I just found out that Lamar Miller is also a FA, what are your thoughts on his chances?

He should be a starter this year. He's still young. He stunk last year, but he'll get another shot - he has the talent to take advantage of it, I'm not sure why it didn't work last season. Seems like Miami's just messed up right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Same league as the Suh trade (I couldn't get more than a 4th in the end, but I saved $14 of cap space) I am looking to add a DB, but with it being a 12 team league with 80 man maximum rosters, there is little on the WW (Dawan Landry is probably the best safety on waivers, is he worth rostering?) so am looking to trade for a undervalued DB.

Currently the targets I like are:

Duron Harmon

Ryan Clark

TJ McDonald

I currently own:

JJ Wilcox

Troy Polamalu

Tramon Williams

Leodis McKelvin

Bradley Fletcher

Scoring is 1.2 per tackle, 0.6 per assist, 2.8 per TFL & 2pts per pass defenced. That pass defenced score pushing up the value of CBs which is why I'm carrying a couple, but I wanted to add another solid contributor at S as tackles are obviously more reliable. We have to start 4-6 DBs every week.

Knowing all of that, which of the above do you think I should try and acquire? I'd probably be able to get Clark for a 5th rounder next year, while Harmon & McDonald would be more expensive.

Also, which of these DEs should I trade away. We have to start 3-5 DLs and I have Cameron Jordan, Chris Long, Michael Johnson & LaMarr Woodley locked in as 4 and then the following group:

Jerry Hughes, Wallace Gilberry, Brian Robison, Jabaal Sheard & Malik Jackson.

I could potentially use one of them to get a cheap DB and a pick, but who has the highest value that I can trade away?

Thanks Tick, as always!

Same league as the Suh trade (I couldn't get more than a 4th in the end, but I saved $14 of cap space) I am looking to add a DB, but with it being a 12 team league with 80 man maximum rosters, there is little on the WW (Dawan Landry is probably the best safety on waivers, is he worth rostering?) so am looking to trade for a undervalued DB.

Currently the targets I like are:

Duron Harmon

Ryan Clark

TJ McDonald

I currently own:

JJ Wilcox

Troy Polamalu

Tramon Williams

Leodis McKelvin

Bradley Fletcher

Scoring is 1.2 per tackle, 0.6 per assist, 2.8 per TFL & 2pts per pass defenced. That pass defenced score pushing up the value of CBs which is why I'm carrying a couple, but I wanted to add another solid contributor at S as tackles are obviously more reliable. We have to start 4-6 DBs every week.

Knowing all of that, which of the above do you think I should try and acquire? I'd probably be able to get Clark for a 5th rounder next year, while Harmon & McDonald would be more expensive.

Can you link your league so I can take a quick look at the available FAs?

Also, which of these DEs should I trade away. We have to start 3-5 DLs and I have Cameron Jordan, Chris Long, Michael Johnson & LaMarr Woodley locked in as 4 and then the following group:

Jerry Hughes, Wallace Gilberry, Brian Robison, Jabaal Sheard & Malik Jackson.

I could potentially use one of them to get a cheap DB and a pick, but who has the highest value that I can trade away?

Thanks Tick, as always!

I like how you phrased the question - which has the highest value is the correct way to look at it. The funny part is, it doesn't matter what I say - it's how others value them. You could just ask people - "Hey, would you trade X DB plus a 5th for any of these guys?" I've even put it up in the league message boards before - I just listed a dozen players with no-negotiation prices on them. Gilberry: 5th, Sheard: 6th, etc. I generally manage to get a pick or two when I do that.

I've bid on Hughes, Gilberry, and Robison this offseason in multiple leagues, and in general, it seems that people value them Hughes - Robison - Gilberry. Malik Jackson has been won with the minimum by other people, so he'd be below them as well.

I've just PM'd you Tick.

On anotehr issue. do you think a 3rd rounder and a 5th rounder is too steep for Keenan Robinson, or do you like him as a breakout candidate?

Both.

He's someone who should be owned in every league, and I own him in all of mine... but if I could get a 3rd for him, I'd do it in a heartbeat. In fact, I made it known in 3 of my leagues that I'll take a 4th for him.

10 team dynasty league. 1 pt tackle .5 half tackle 3 per sack. 2 per turnover.we start 4 lb 3 dl. Currently at lb I have Pos, Wagner, Freeman, Butler , Keenan Robinson, Bostic Bears fan, Sio Moore, Sean lee. At dl I have Quinn, Hardy, and Demote Moore.I've been offered a trade of Wagner and a 7th rd pick for chandler jones. Personally I think he should include a pick but regardless should I make this trade? I can easily find LB just not of Wagner caliber. Thanks

10 team dynasty league. 1 pt tackle .5 half tackle 3 per sack. 2 per turnover.we start 4 lb 3 dl. Currently at lb I have Pos, Wagner, Freeman, Butler , Keenan Robinson, Bostic Bears fan, Sio Moore, Sean lee. At dl I have Quinn, Hardy, and Demote Moore.I've been offered a trade of Wagner and a 7th rd pick for chandler jones. Personally I think he should include a pick but regardless should I make this trade? I can easily find LB just not of Wagner caliber. Thanks

Yeah, I'd make it. You'd have three long-term DEs and could pretty much ignore the position and focus on getting a replacement LB.

Davis looks like a dud... but I'm holding on to him since I'm not seeing guys on the waiver wire I like more.

There have been MLBs who were weak their first year, then took off - Stephen Tulloch comes to mind.

To me, it just comes down to what else is available. If you see Keenan Robinson on the wire, pick him up. If all you see is Justin Durant, stick with Davis.

32 teams, dynasty, keep players forever. start 28 total players, defense heavy (12 offense, 16 defense). sacks are 6 points.

AJ Green for Khalil Green and Calvin Pryor.

Which would you rather have?

I'm not sure I can reconfigure my brain to answer this. I can't get over the idea of trading away AJ Green for any number of IDPs. Out of default ignorance, I say keep AJ Green.

Good morning. Will Christian Jones become an effective starter for the Chicago Bears. He was outstanding at Florida State for three years. Bears picked him up as a free agent. Your thoughts on his dynasty value?

I don't see any real reason to bet on him. This season, I don't see the path to start. Williams and Briggs are old, so there will be openings soon, but there's no real reason to think Jones will take one of the spots. I know draft position isn't that important once you're in camp, but he wasn't drafted. Go ahead and keep an eye on him, but I doubt he's owned in many leagues. I'd rather take a chance with Khairi Fortt, Preston Brown, Avery Williamson, and a few other LBs who aren't owned in most leagues ahead of Jones.

What are your thoughts on Brandon Spikes?

Is he a three down linebacker due to the injury of Kiko Alonso?

Do you think he will be a top twenty IDP option this year?

Regarding dynasty is he a good player to have?

Thank you.

Great situation for an average player is what I'd say. That's good enough in IDP!

Yes, I think he's a 3-down MLB this year due to the injury, and will be close in scoring to the 20th-ranked LB... there's a clump of guys, he should be in it, so he could be something like 13th or 33rd and I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't play in any contract leagues, just straight dynasty leagues where you cut and add players whenever you want... so in that format, I don't really care whether he's useful next season. I got lots of good seasons out of guys like Kirk Morrison, Justin Durant, Dhani Jones, Will Witherspoon... if he's useful this year, I want him. I tend to stash 1-2 future guys (Keenan Robinson types) that I think will have a good shot at a 3-down MLB spot in the future. Otherwise, I play dynasty IDP year to year. It's easy to get stuck holding the bag when you spend big to trade for a great talent like Jonathan Vilma or DJ Williams, only to see their position shifted and their value drop off anyway.

Good Evening,

What are your thoughts on Telvin Smith?

Will he assume the job from the underachieving Geno Hayes?

Will he be a three down linebacker?

Should his size be a concern?

Thank you.

I think he'll beat out Geno Hayes and play three downs, and at WLB, his size won't be a problem in the short term. He and Hayes seem to be roughly even right now, which generally favors the rookie. Smith did play first team in the preseason game.

Should I trade DeAndre Hopkins for Jerod Mayo?

16 team tackle heavy scoring

Start 2-3 WRs 3-4 LBs

My WRs Harvin, Floyd, Torrey Smith, Hopkins, Hunter, Beckham

My LBs Mosley, D'Qwell Jackson, Minter, Teo,Mathis, Matthews, Maualuga

I believe in my ability to find LBs, so I don't trade offensive players for them. It's not hard to see a scenario where Hopkins is starting for you a lot - Harvin gets hurt as always, Hunter doesn't make the big breakthrough.

Is there anything on the waiver wire that might be better than Mathis or Maualuga in that scoring system? I'd rather take a chance with a guy like Irving or Durant than stick with Maualuga. Even Foote.

Archived