What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Late season emergences to keep an eye on for 2014 (1 Viewer)

I'm eye-balling Jermaine Kearse in SEA. Tate and Baldwin are both FAs after this season, Rice will more than likely be cut barring a pay cut and neither he nor Harvin can stay healthy. I'm weary of Harvin any way coming off of signing a fat contract and now more injuries. Kearse has the size (6'2" and 205 lb) and speed to be at least a #2 for them next year. He is cheap, plays through injury, and is their deep threat. Plenty of opportunity for him there in Seattle.

I'm eye-balling Jermaine Kearse in SEA. Tate and Baldwin are both FAs after this season, Rice will more than likely be cut barring a pay cut and neither he nor Harvin can stay healthy. I'm weary of Harvin any way coming off of signing a fat contract and now more injuries. Kearse has the size (6'2" and 205 lb) and speed to be at least a #2 for them next year. He is cheap, plays through injury, and is their deep threat. Plenty of opportunity for him there in Seattle.
:goodposting:

I've been quietly trying to corner the market on the cheap Seattle receivers all year in various dynasty leagues. Harvin is obviously still pretty pricy, but I've scooped up Rice, Tate, Baldwin, and Kearse in different places over the last year or so at prices varying from waiver claim to throw in / 3rd round rookie pick levels. When the dust clears next year, someone there is going to see a nice value bump. And Russell Wilson is really, really good -- good enough that eventually the team will have no choice but to unleash the passing attack (might be a few years, when they start having to pay guys and don't have such a ridiculous D and ground game, but it'll happen IMO).

I like what Stedman Bailey is doing in STL. He started #5 on the depth chart and now he's getting as many targets as anyone -- and is doing something with them. The reverse for a TD vs the Bucs might also be a great sign that the coaching staff is starting to see him as a playmaker.

I've been quietly trying to corner the market on the cheap Seattle receivers all year in various dynasty leagues. Harvin is obviously still pretty pricy, but I've scooped up Rice, Tate, Baldwin, and Kearse in different places over the last year or so at prices varying from waiver claim to throw in / 3rd round rookie pick levels. When the dust clears next year, someone there is going to see a nice value bump. And Russell Wilson is really, really good -- good enough that eventually the team will have no choice but to unleash the passing attack (might be a few years, when they start having to pay guys and don't have such a ridiculous D and ground game, but it'll happen IMO).
PFF has some sick ratings for Baldwin; albeit he has limited targets compared to other "elite" WR's. It would be interesting to see what Kearse could do with more wonderboy WIlson time. However, Seattle ranks 31st in total passing attempts per game. While WIlson is highly efficient and makes others around him better, the limited passing attempts in Seattle may cap what anyone does in Seattle, including Harvin.

If Baldwin moves on I'd expect more targets but perhaps less efficiency.

Also in the case of Philly as we've discussed, it makes you wonder how "good" people are compared to what system they're running. WIlson's astronomical passer rating would probably fall were he to sling it 40 times a game trying to make plays like a Romo or Matt Ryan.

The younger stud QB's have great passer ratings but I have no clue whether they'd have the skills to carry an offense on their back ala a Peyton, Brees, or Brady and be a pass-based offense.

Lastly, as long as Carroll, Harbaugh, and Kelly are winning running the football, I don't think they'll change to make our "fantasy QB's" more productive. They're getting real life NFL wins.

:goodposting: I've been quietly trying to corner the market on the cheap Seattle receivers all year in various dynasty leagues. Harvin is obviously still pretty pricy, but I've scooped up Rice, Tate, Baldwin, and Kearse in different places over the last year or so at prices varying from waiver claim to throw in / 3rd round rookie pick levels. When the dust clears next year, someone there is going to see a nice value bump. And Russell Wilson is really, really good -- good enough that eventually the team will have no choice but to unleash the passing attack (might be a few years, when they start having to pay guys and don't have such a ridiculous D and ground game, but it'll happen IMO).
PFF has some sick ratings for Baldwin; albeit he has limited targets compared to other "elite" WR's. It would be interesting to see what Kearse could do with more wonderboy WIlson time. However, Seattle ranks 31st in total passing attempts per game. While WIlson is highly efficient and makes others around him better, the limited passing attempts in Seattle may cap what anyone does in Seattle, including Harvin.If Baldwin moves on I'd expect more targets but perhaps less efficiency.

Also in the case of Philly as we've discussed, it makes you wonder how "good" people are compared to what system they're running. WIlson's astronomical passer rating would probably fall were he to sling it 40 times a game trying to make plays like a Romo or Matt Ryan.

The younger stud QB's have great passer ratings but I have no clue whether they'd have the skills to carry an offense on their back ala a Peyton, Brees, or Brady and be a pass-based offense.

Lastly, as long as Carroll, Harbaugh, and Kelly are winning running the football, I don't think they'll change to make our "fantasy QB's" more productive. They're getting real life NFL wins.
Agree all the way around -- but it's going to be pretty hard IMO for SF and Seattle to keep their teams entirely intact when they have to start paying out 2nd contracts to those QBs and young stud defensive players. FA and the salary cap are designed to distribute talent around the league -- it's pretty inevitable. It happened in NE and in Pittsburgh with Brady and Roethlisberger -- and those might be the two best run franchises in professional football the last decade plus. It's all well and good to play conservative offense when you have the two best deep young defenses in the NFL -- but long term it's gonna be tough to keep that going, particularly when Wilson and Kaep need to be re-upped at give or take $20 million per. I'm pretty confident that Wilson will prove capable of carrying the Seahawks on his back if / when he needs to. Out of all the young guys, he's clearly the best IMO (with Luck in that conversation too).

While someone may get a small bump, they'll start passing when they get some NFL quality players at wr and te. I guess if you have huge rosters it's okay but a waste of roster spots otherwise.

:goodposting: I've been quietly trying to corner the market on the cheap Seattle receivers all year in various dynasty leagues. Harvin is obviously still pretty pricy, but I've scooped up Rice, Tate, Baldwin, and Kearse in different places over the last year or so at prices varying from waiver claim to throw in / 3rd round rookie pick levels. When the dust clears next year, someone there is going to see a nice value bump. And Russell Wilson is really, really good -- good enough that eventually the team will have no choice but to unleash the passing attack (might be a few years, when they start having to pay guys and don't have such a ridiculous D and ground game, but it'll happen IMO).
While someone may get a small bump, they'll start passing when they get some NFL quality players at wr and te. I guess if you have huge rosters it's okay but a waste of roster spots otherwise.
Tate is WR36 and Baldwin is WR38 this year -- I'd be highly interested in learning about a dynasty setup where those players aren't worth rostering. Most of us aren't in 6 team short bench leagues.

I just took a flier on RB/WR Sam McGuffie in my deep dyno. He was just signed to the Patriots PS. Cierre Wood was released from the PS in a corresponding move. It will be interesting to see if he factors into their future plans. He had sick workout numbers but has a bit of a concussion history. He had three as freshman at Michigan in 2009 but I don't think he has had any since then. Was a RB at Michigan and moved to the slot after transferring to Rice.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/12/27/5248598/patriots-add-rb-wr-sam-mcguffie-to-practice-squad

Rashad is out of contract, just like McFadden. I don't see how it makes sense for the Raiders to build on either of these two guys. I am betting on Latavius.

Looks like Jerrel Jernigan had a nice game today. I don't think he did much in the 4thQ either. Has played well the last two weeks as well

So Blount has replaced Ridley as the power back? It looks like it's his job as long as he holds onto the ball, which isn't saying much but he could be the starter heading into 2014.

So Blount has replaced Ridley as the power back? It looks like it's his job as long as he holds onto the ball, which isn't saying much but he could be the starter heading into 2014.
How often do you see Belichick hug a guy at the end of a game and lavish crazy amounts of praise on them at the post game presser? If you're a Belichick guy, you've got a chance.

Tate is WR36 and Baldwin is WR38 this year -- I'd be highly interested in learning about a dynasty setup where those players aren't worth rostering. Most of us aren't in 6 team short bench leagues.
Some of us are looking for guys with actual NFL talent who have some upside. I play to win though, not to keep from embarassing myself. You wouldn't understand.

Some of us are looking for guys with actual NFL talent who have some upside. I play to win though, not to keep from embarassing myself. You wouldn't understand.
The deeper lineups and rosters go, the more skill is involved. You're right, though, I'm not super interested in understanding a league format in which WR36 is unrosterable. I'm sure you'll get it someday, guy.

What about D. Brown? This guy has been lights out down the stretch for Indy. I can't see any way Indy brings in another RB to the roster and Richardson should have effectively played himself to second string.

Loving what we saw out of ingram last night. Guy runs hard.
Ingram is talented, no doubt. As long as he's in NO he will never be reliable in fantasy unfortunately.
Agreed.

What about D. Brown? This guy has been lights out down the stretch for Indy. I can't see any way Indy brings in another RB to the roster and Richardson should have effectively played himself to second string.
He's a UFA. Will be interesting to see what they do, hard to imagine they don't try to get him back.

Mid-season emergence who got hurt and disappeared: Jordan Reed.

People may forget about him in drafts next year.

Dont forget about maclin returning to phili. That will throw a wrench into coopers production for sure...
Maclin is a UFA and this free agent class is pretty lacking in marquee WRs. I'd be surprised if someone doesn't offer up more money than Philly thinks he's worth, assuming he can work out for teams at 100% or close to it. Decker and Nicks are the guys he'll be competing with to get overpaid.
2014 draft class is very deep at WR. This will keep teams from throwing major dollars at free agent WRs.

Some things to ponder when considering Seattle WRs.

1. This is a ground and pound offense. It complements the style of defense they want to play. Its an overall team concept. Don't expect Wilson's passing numbers to increase just because he's a year older. His year two numbers are almost exactly identical to his year one numbers. I fully expect similar numbers in year three. His situation reminds me of Troy Aikman back in the day. Stellar real quarterback, but always a mediocre fantasy quarterback.

2. None of the Seattle WRs are going to be consistent from week to week in scoring fantasy points. You'll be very frustrated if you roster any Seattle skill position other than Lynch and possibly Wilson.

3. Baldwin is a restricted free agent. I expect Seattle to put a 2nd round draft pick price tag on him. Given the incoming draft class I don't think any team out there will come close to making a play for Baldwin. I expect him to remain in Seattle.

4. I think Rice's injury makes it MORE likely he returns to Seattle. They will easily be able to chop his salary to help the cap situation. I think he signs a one year deal in the hope of earning a bigger deal after showing he can still play. I don't know that this will happen for him, but I think its more likely to happen in Seattle.

5. Again, due to the incoming draft class I doubt anyone throws major dollars at Tate. He's an odd singular talent. He's sort of short, runs sort of funny, but has great balance and a knack for breaking tackles. I think he's much more likely to stay in Seattle.

6. Kearse? Odds are he starts the season next year as a WR5 on a run first team. There are scenarios where he will climb that ladder, but I don't see any way he gets more targets than he did this year. Further, every Seattle sports writer that I follow is guessing Seattle invests a draft pick early on a WR (I think a lot of teams will head into the draft with this same thinking).

I'd love to know what sort of league settings it takes to make a guy who's gone...

~2 catches/game

3 catches/game

4 catches/game

...in his 2nd-4th years unrosterable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to know what sort of league settings it takes to make a guy who's gone...

~2 catches/game

3 catches/game

4 catches/game

...in his 2nd-4th years unrosterable.
Nobody is looking for an average WR. They want to hit a grandslam with a middle to late fantasy draft pick. They want a guy that has potential to explode for a huge season crushing their ADP. I'm not saying that's the best way to win your fantasy league, but I understand the mentality.

Some things to ponder when considering Seattle WRs.

1. This is a ground and pound offense. It complements the style of defense they want to play. Its an overall team concept. Don't expect Wilson's passing numbers to increase just because he's a year older. His year two numbers are almost exactly identical to his year one numbers. I fully expect similar numbers in year three. His situation reminds me of Troy Aikman back in the day. Stellar real quarterback, but always a mediocre fantasy quarterback.

2. None of the Seattle WRs are going to be consistent from week to week in scoring fantasy points. You'll be very frustrated if you roster any Seattle skill position other than Lynch and possibly Wilson.

3. Baldwin is a restricted free agent. I expect Seattle to put a 2nd round draft pick price tag on him. Given the incoming draft class I don't think any team out there will come close to making a play for Baldwin. I expect him to remain in Seattle.

4. I think Rice's injury makes it MORE likely he returns to Seattle. They will easily be able to chop his salary to help the cap situation. I think he signs a one year deal in the hope of earning a bigger deal after showing he can still play. I don't know that this will happen for him, but I think its more likely to happen in Seattle.

5. Again, due to the incoming draft class I doubt anyone throws major dollars at Tate. He's an odd singular talent. He's sort of short, runs sort of funny, but has great balance and a knack for breaking tackles. I think he's much more likely to stay in Seattle.

6. Kearse? Odds are he starts the season next year as a WR5 on a run first team. There are scenarios where he will climb that ladder, but I don't see any way he gets more targets than he did this year. Further, every Seattle sports writer that I follow is guessing Seattle invests a draft pick early on a WR (I think a lot of teams will head into the draft with this same thinking).
What are your thoughts on Harvin next season?

No clue. I purposefully avoided adding him into the conversation. I've been attempting to follow his situation very closely, but I'm at the point where I don't have the foggiest as to what's really going on there. He practiced on Thursday and Friday. Participated in all drills except red-zone and 2-minute drills. If healthy I think he's a lock to be the WR1 in Seattle next year decreasing the value of all other Seattle WRs even further. Harvin is explosive like no other Seattle WR.

Ballard will likely be back. Bradshaw may as well, though probably not (he was on a one-year deal). But I agree that, based on his performance over the second half, it should be Brown's job to lose.

I'm keeping an eye on Khiry Robinson if Ingram happens to leave (although doubtful considering how well he's played the last month or so). While the Saints love their RBBC and Sproles will keep his role, Thomas is no spring chicken and injuries may be catching up to him.

Patterson for the Vikings will be a big time player, no matter who ends up at QB for the Vikings, between return yards, rushing and receiving he will be a monster

Donald Brown, while many people think that Richardson will have a bounce back season, Brown will be the money guy in Indy, I do believe Indy re-signs Brown. Richardson does not have the vision to be a big time running back, as many posters have stated

Hooper31 said:
dickey moe said:
No clue. I purposefully avoided adding him into the conversation. I've been attempting to follow his situation very closely, but I'm at the point where I don't have the foggiest as to what's really going on there. He practiced on Thursday and Friday. Participated in all drills except red-zone and 2-minute drills. If healthy I think he's a lock to be the WR1 in Seattle next year decreasing the value of all other Seattle WRs even further. Harvin is explosive like no other Seattle WR.
I'm not sure about that. As a whole, the other WRs as a group will lower in value, however I can see either Tate or Baldwin (or whoever's left) becoming more valuable than currently as Percy draws coverage away from them. As it is, teams don't need to gameplan for any one WR so it's easy for them to get lost in the shuffle in regular schemes. Add a dynamic threat that has to be accounted for and guys will have a chance to shine.

I like the Patterson call, but I think Justin Hunter is right up there too.

Hunter led the league in "wow" per catch last year, as several of his receptions were of the spectacular variety. If he can stay healthy and improve his effort/consistency/focus, he appears to have a monster ceiling. I would love to see the Titans chuck it up to him deep a few times every game.

In all likelihood, I see Deangelo getting a new gig after this year. Low mileage and can still get it done.

I like the Patterson call, but I think Justin Hunter is right up there too.

Hunter led the league in "wow" per catch last year, as several of his receptions were of the spectacular variety. If he can stay healthy and improve his effort/consistency/focus, he appears to have a monster ceiling. I would love to see the Titans chuck it up to him deep a few times every game.
I like Rotoworld more than most, but they sure seem to have a bias against Hunter.

Users who are viewing this thread