What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you were starting a small business with <10K startup capital... (1 Viewer)

In fact, I'd go as far to say that if you don't have the stones to put 5k on your CC to get going, you probably don't believe it is going to succeed.
FTFY

I pulled the plug on my first (of many) failed SaaS ventures when a close friend offered to invest and I hesitated. I thought to myself, "if you believe this is going to successful and are willing to make it successful, you should want ALL the people you care about to invest and benefit." But I didn't. So that was that.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that if you don't have the stones to put 5k on your CC to get going, you probably don't believe it is going to succeed.
FTFY

I pulled the plug on my first (of many) failed SaaS ventures when a close friend offered to invest and I hesitated. I thought to myself, "if you believe this is going to successful and are willing to make it successful, you should want ALL the people you care about to invest and benefit." But I didn't. So that was that.
:thumbup:

If people think that they don't need NDA's signed when disclosing their ideas, they are being mislead. The idea is not "cheap." The idea is the money. That's why we have patents and trade secrets.

I suppose I can understand if someone is asking for advice from someone on some hair-brained idea and they ask you to sign an NDA that might be a little strange. But if you are presenting your idea to investors, especially those in the industry, and you are not getting an NDA signed, then you deserve to have your idea stolen.

You might think that ideas are "cheap" and that execution is the key, but the problem is that, as much as you might think it, you are probably NOT the best person to execute your idea. The best person is probably the guy already doing it or something similar, and if he catches wind of your idea, he will jump on it and do it better than you could.

You can always point to crazy success stories like Facebook and say, "I had that idea years ago" to try to make the point. But there are millions of ideas out there being thrown around every day, and there are millions of people out there trying to make a buck, and if they catch wind of an idea and they have the money, they will execute it.

Don't think you have a monopoly on good execution. The idea is what needs to be protected.

That's a fair perspective but i happen to disagree, at least when it comes to what I know (software and web). One of the reasons it is so hard for non technical people to find the technical talent to help their "idea" is that the most skilled technical people have their own ideas that they think are brilliant. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that finding a programmer with real talent that doesn't also have a notebook of ideas is probably impossible.

At the same time, in other arenas an idea can be very valuable. "Hey, I know how to turn polluted water in to a nutritious meal" or "this machine will cure cancer" is certAinly worth protecting because there is associated technology that can be repeated.

Has auto loan/check cashing been mentioned?

No idea if you can get one started for $10K, but if you have no soul, it's definitely a money maker. Around here, most commercial properties turn over multiple times until a check cashing place settles in. They never leave.

That's a fair perspective but i happen to disagree, at least when it comes to what I know (software and web). One of the reasons it is so hard for non technical people to find the technical talent to help their "idea" is that the most skilled technical people have their own ideas that they think are brilliant. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that finding a programmer with real talent that doesn't also have a notebook of ideas is probably impossible.

At the same time, in other arenas an idea can be very valuable. "Hey, I know how to turn polluted water in to a nutritious meal" or "this machine will cure cancer" is certAinly worth protecting because there is associated technology that can be repeated.
I agree. NDA's are definitely fine for that.

I've known / spoken to a lot of people whose idea went nowhere, because they were so adamant on keeping it secret.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone say prostitution yet? Or drug dealer?

Lol, if I had a great idea for this i woukdnt share it with you fools. I keep that cash cow to myself yo.

For the record: I'm saying that getting someone to sign an NDA before discussing a vague idea at a coffee shop is silly, not that NDAs are silly. Obviously there are business secrets to be protected, I'm not an idiot.

But if you are wondering how much work creating Facebook would take, in my mind, you're going to get better results by discussing your idea than being overly vague and "protecting" the idea.

Has auto loan/check cashing been mentioned?

No idea if you can get one started for $10K, but if you have no soul, it's definitely a money maker. Around here, most commercial properties turn over multiple times until a check cashing place settles in. They never leave.
The worry with these is that they seem to be one legislative move away from being illegal. (Granted, so is fantasy football). I'd be careful about getting too deep into that business until I felt really comfortable with the legislative situation.

J

I'm always toying with the idea of starting an online "boutique" musical instrument store offering high quality/vintage/rare/classic/hard to find items. I'm semi-addicted to buy/selling/trading gear on craigslist. I'd be in heaven if I could profit doing so. Technically, I have profited doing so, but on a very small, personal scale.

I'd do repairs &amp; restoration myself, and offer a service to find specific items people were looking for, as I also love the searching aspect of it. $10,000 should be plenty to get a cool website up and running and acquire some gear to offer for sale. I'd use ebay, craigslist, and be active on forums featuring Fender, Martin, Gibson, etc. Additional items would be added as acquired.

I know it's not a unique idea by any means, but it would just be a part time thing to do for personal enjoyment and hopefully some profit. Would never get rich, and best case scenario is maybe if I executed it well enough I could grow a decent reputation as a go-to resource for items like this and my "find it for you" service would be popular among those who just don't have the time to scour the internet looking for what they want. Worst case scenario is I end up with a bunch of really cool gear in my basement, which isn't so bad. I'd sell it all eventually, or just keep it. Seems like kind of a no-risk, all reward scenario for me based on my interests.
So I've decided make a run at it! Just going to start slow and small, not dumping $10K in all at once or anything. I'm buying some gear off craigslist today that I'm confident I can turn for an eventual profit. What's cool about this is that there's really no pressure on me to profit quickly. I don't really care how long it takes to sell an item as long as I sell it for a profit. In the meantime, I'll collect a bunch of cool gear. Today I'm buying a mint 2009 Ibanez JS1000 with original hard shell case, a mint 2011 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster with OHSC, and a mint Vox VBM1 Brian May Special 15W amp. Anyone interested!?Now I just have to think about getting a simple website up and running to display inventory. I'm thinking a free ".webs" website would suffice. Set one up for someone else recently and it seems pretty decent.

I'm always toying with the idea of starting an online "boutique" musical instrument store offering vintage/rare/classic/hard to find items. I'm semi-addicted to buy/selling/trading gear on craigslist. I'd be in heaven if I could profit doing so. Technically, I have profited doing so, but on a very small, personal scale.

I'd do repairs &amp; restoration myself, and offer a service to find specific items people were looking for, as I also love the searching aspect of it. $10,000 should be plenty to get a cool website up and running and acquire some gear to offer for sale. I'd use ebay, craigslist, and be active on forums featuring Fender, Martin, Gibson, etc. Additional items would be added as acquired.

I know it's not a unique idea by any means, but it would just be a part time thing to do for personal enjoyment and hopefully some profit. Would never get rich, and best case scenario is maybe if I executed it well enough I could grow a decent reputation as a go-to resource for items like this and my "find it for you" service would be popular among those who just don't have the time to scour the internet looking for what they want. Worst case scenario is I end up with a bunch of really cool gear in my basement, which isn't so bad. I'd sell it all eventually, or just keep it. Seems like kind of a no-risk, all reward scenario for me based on my interests.
So I've decided make a run at it! Just going to start slow and small, not dumping $10K in all at once or anything. I'm buying some gear off craigslist today that I'm confident I can turn for an eventual profit. What's cool about this is that there's really no pressure on me to profit quickly. I don't really care how long it takes to sell an item as long as I sell it for a profit. In the meantime, I'll collect a bunch of cool gear. Today I'm buying a mint 2009 Ibanez JS1000 with original hard shell case, a mint 2011 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster with OHSC, and a mint Vox VBM1 Brian May Special 15W amp. Anyone interested!?

Now I just have to think about getting a simple website up and running to display inventory. I'm thinking a free ".webs" website would suffice. Set one up for someone else recently and it seems pretty decent.
No.

There are so many eCommerce platforms out there that are low cost and quite customizable. Many include payment platforms too. I recommend Shopify.

I'm always toying with the idea of starting an online "boutique" musical instrument store offering vintage/rare/classic/hard to find items. I'm semi-addicted to buy/selling/trading gear on craigslist. I'd be in heaven if I could profit doing so. Technically, I have profited doing so, but on a very small, personal scale.

So I've decided make a run at it! Just going to start slow and small, not dumping $10K in all at once or anything. I'm buying some gear off craigslist today that I'm confident I can turn for an eventual profit. What's cool about this is that there's really no pressure on me to profit quickly. I don't really care how long it takes to sell an item as long as I sell it for a profit. In the meantime, I'll collect a bunch of cool gear. Today I'm buying a mint 2009 Ibanez JS1000 with original hard shell case, a mint 2011 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster with OHSC, and a mint Vox VBM1 Brian May Special 15W amp. Anyone interested!?

Now I just have to think about getting a simple website up and running to display inventory. I'm thinking a free ".webs" website would suffice. Set one up for someone else recently and it seems pretty decent.
No.

There are so many eCommerce platforms out there that are low cost and quite customizable. Many include payment platforms too. I recommend Shopify.
Will definitely look into Shopify. Thank you very much for the advice.

Joe Bryant said:

You should be able to start up a shopify store pretty easily selling this stuff. This is a perfect idea for a small e-commerce site. You probably don't have many products to add, and it should be easy to keep up with. You just have to take decent pictures of the product, and write some content with keywords. A niche product like this should do well with a good site.
I like this idea Satch. I see you bringing two primary values to a business like this.

1. It's a centralized "hub" where buyers and sellers connect. That's one of the incredible levers the internet makes possible - Easily connecting people that 20 years ago would have had a much harder time connecting. Whether it's dating sites like match.com or rental things like AirbnB, the principle is the same.

2. Curation. eBay already does this in a general sense bringing buyers and sellers together. Where your business could differ is if it became known as you being an expert on the topic. People trusting someone that's an expert like you when they're buying an old violin is going to be radically different than if I were selling an old violin I inherited and knew nothing about it.

The big hurdle for online sales is trust. Once you establish that trust, you'd have a huge advantage in selling items like this.

So if I were trying to start a business like that, I'd first set out to start establishing a reputation as a smart and trustworthy old musical instrument guy. I'm sure there are forums out there. You can have a blog writing content helping people looking to buy / sell an old musical instrument. Start an Instagram feed with cool pictures that would interest the kind of people you're looking to connect. Basically whatever it takes to establish you as a trustworthy expert. Once you have that, connecting the buyers and sellers should follow.

Good luck,

J
Great advice, thank you.

2. Curation. eBay already does this in a general sense bringing buyers and sellers together. Where your business could differ is if it became known as you being an expert on the topic. People trusting someone that's an expert like you when they're buying an old violin is going to be radically different than if I were selling an old violin I inherited and knew nothing about it. The big hurdle for online sales is trust. Once you establish that trust, you'd have a huge advantage in selling items like this.

So if I were trying to start a business like that, I'd first set out to start establishing a reputation as a smart and trustworthy old musical instrument guy. I'm sure there are forums out there. You can have a blog writing content helping people looking to buy / sell an old musical instrument. Start an Instagram feed with cool pictures that would interest the kind of people you're looking to connect. Basically whatever it takes to establish you as a trustworthy expert. Once you have that, connecting the buyers and sellers should follow.

Good luck,
Read Gary Vaynerchuk's book. He became a wine expert basically by doing a ton of short videos about wine and putting them on YouTube. he built a brand as a regular guy that knew a lot about wine and now is highly regarded in both the wine and business sector. Just like you, he took something he loved and ran with it.

No.

I use shopify. It's very simple and clean. Believe the minimum monthly fee is $30-$50 give or take. They have great customer service

No.

I use shopify. It's very simple and clean. Believe the minimum monthly fee is $30-$50 give or take. They have great customer service
Looks like there's a $14/month plan available. Limited to 25 items for sale.

If not selling wares, what is the viability of ad based revenue sites providing basic services and content? It's alarming with browser extensions which block ads more and more often.

I'm always toying with the idea of starting an online "boutique" musical instrument store offering high quality/vintage/rare/classic/hard to find items. I'm semi-addicted to buy/selling/trading gear on craigslist. I'd be in heaven if I could profit doing so. Technically, I have profited doing so, but on a very small, personal scale.

So I've decided make a run at it! Just going to start slow and small, not dumping $10K in all at once or anything. I'm buying some gear off craigslist today that I'm confident I can turn for an eventual profit. What's cool about this is that there's really no pressure on me to profit quickly. I don't really care how long it takes to sell an item as long as I sell it for a profit. In the meantime, I'll collect a bunch of cool gear. Today I'm buying a mint 2009 Ibanez JS1000 with original hard shell case, a mint 2011 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster with OHSC, and a mint Vox VBM1 Brian May Special 15W amp. Anyone interested!?Now I just have to think about getting a simple website up and running to display inventory. I'm thinking a free ".webs" website would suffice. Set one up for someone else recently and it seems pretty decent.
I highly suggest getting .com web URL vs anything else. Customers struggle to remember anything but a .com URL. If you care to rank well on Google, domain age is a factor, too, albeit less than before. A few hundred bucks on a decent domain name listed for sale vs $10 on a garbage one is money well spent.

The repair business could be where you make a really nice income and that would be worth investing in an Adwords campaign.

2. Curation. eBay already does this in a general sense bringing buyers and sellers together. Where your business could differ is if it became known as you being an expert on the topic. People trusting someone that's an expert like you when they're buying an old violin is going to be radically different than if I were selling an old violin I inherited and knew nothing about it. The big hurdle for online sales is trust. Once you establish that trust, you'd have a huge advantage in selling items like this.

Good luck,
Read Gary Vaynerchuk's book. He became a wine expert basically by doing a ton of short videos about wine and putting them on YouTube. he built a brand as a regular guy that knew a lot about wine and now is highly regarded in both the wine and business sector. Just like you, he took something he loved and ran with it.
Thanks. Not sure if you meant me but I've been a big Vaynerchuk fan for a long while. We had some talk with his people last summer as he was trying to get advertising out for Jab Jab Jab Jab Hook but we couldn't get together. He's a hustler. (in a good way)

J

If not selling wares, what is the viability of ad based revenue sites providing basic services and content? It's alarming with browser extensions which block ads more and more often.
Almost zero. The number of sites that generate substantial revenue through advertising present an astounding amount of content. For example, The Chive, The Onion, Bleacher Report, etc. have dozens of curations, articles or collections each day. Smaller sites that generate a little bit of advertising money ($200-1000/month) still get updated regularly.

Interesting article along the lines of some of the things we've been talking about.

"8 Steps to Launch an Idea, in Just a Few Hours" http://www.inc.com/ilan-mochari/8-steps-launch-idea.html

Inc.com is a good spot for lots of stuff like this.

J
All that stuff sounds good, but Joe, honestly, how many of those steps did you do before you started FBG's? The only one I did was #7.

I do think the prototype one (#6) is important.

Interesting article along the lines of some of the things we've been talking about.

"8 Steps to Launch an Idea, in Just a Few Hours" http://www.inc.com/ilan-mochari/8-steps-launch-idea.html

J
All that stuff sounds good, but Joe, honestly, how many of those steps did you do before you started FBG's? The only one I did was #7.

Well, I can't say I did all these before jumping into FBG 14 years ago. But that's not the point. I didn't know nearly as much back then and I got lucky. If I was starting a new business today, I'd absolutely do these. Or at least give them some detailed thought.

J

J

Well, I can't say I did all these before jumping into FBG 14 years ago. But that's not the point. I didn't know nearly as much back then and I got lucky. If I was starting a new business today, I'd absolutely do these. Or at least give them some detailed thought.

J
That's what's interesting though. I rarely meet successful entrepreneurs who followed the "standard" steps and were successful. Most of the people I know who were successful (you and I included) did not follow those steps and instead just jumped in and did it. And yes, most of us also say we got "lucky." But I know a LOT of people who spent the time to do things "right" and never got their business off the ground.

So while I would like to say that if I were to start another business I would follow some similar steps, the truth of the matter is that if I did follow those steps, I probably would never have even started my business in the first place.

The steps how listed are useful in validating a need, market, and method of deployment. In each of your cases you didn't need to look for product / market fit because you already knew it existed. One of you essentially started your business with a customer already, your previous employer. That is how a great number of consulting companies start. The other recognized that a game was increasing in popularity AnD saw that the internet was a big part if that growth so he launched a site that got in the middle of that.

I'd say most people who start a business do it because they recognize a demand they can quickly address. Most people who want to start a business simply haven't seen a demand they can fill yet so they look for "ideas".

J

J
That's what's interesting though. I rarely meet successful entrepreneurs who followed the "standard" steps and were successful. Most of the people I know who were successful (you and I included) did not follow those steps and instead just jumped in and did it. And yes, most of us also say we got "lucky." But I know a LOT of people who spent the time to do things "right" and never got their business off the ground.

So while I would like to say that if I were to start another business I would follow some similar steps, the truth of the matter is that if I did follow those steps, I probably would never have even started my business in the first place.
Yeah maybe. I tend to disagree but that's not really the point.

The article was how to spend a few hours thinking about starting your business and that seemed pretty apt for this thread.

J

Building on Abe's point above about filling a need.

Here's a basic thing that I see really smart people miss sometimes.

Business at it's base is solving a problem.

It's not really much more complicated than that.

A fast food restaurant solves the problem of people that don't want / can't cook their own food at that time.

A grocery store solves the problem of the person having an empty cupboard.

A managed services business solves the problem of a small company needing IT but can't afford a full time guy.

A fantasy football business solves the problem of the guy doesn't have time to keep up with all the news so he wants some help in finding what's important.

I see too many people lose sight of the big picture. A guy selling boats at the boat dealership is going to be most successful when he sees selling boats as solving the problem his customer has of wanting an activity to get his family together or fish or ski or whatever. Boat seller guy's goal is not that he needs to sell boats. His goal is to solve the problems his customers have.

Now what if what he's selling doesn't really solve the problem? Then he's running a short term "business". He either needs to figure out how to solve the problem or move on to another job.

This really is part of a bigger life tenet: "It's not about you". But that's for another post.

For now, think of your business or idea in terms of what problem it will solve.

It's very rare that the business comes up with a problem people didn't know they had. In the vast majority of cases, identify problems and offer ways to solve them. That's really all business is.

J

Sensational posting. I tell people that good sales people listen to customers and realize that solving the customer pain point is what's important. Great salespeople do it with an honest disassociation from money. Solve the customers problem the best way possible even if it doesn't benefit you.

But your point is spot on: selling aspirin is a lot easier then selling vitamins.

Solve the customers problem the best way possible even if it doesn't benefit you.
Exactly.

That goes back to my post a few days ago about taking the long view.

Sometimes, your product really is not the answer for that person and doesn't SOLVE THEIR PROBLEM. It may sound idiotic, but in that case, you're better off helping them solve their problem even it means they buy something else. It'll come back to you in the long run. Not today. But it'll get back to you.

J

Not to get too far off the beaten path, but it goes a little deeper than simply solving a customer's problem. There's solving a customer's problem, and there's creating a problem for a customer (knowingly or unknowingly) via what we will happily sell them if they'll surrender some cash.

Perceived problem: Customer needs help finding timely news and reliable opinions in effort to manage their fantasy football team(s) better.
Actual problem (for some): Customer needs to stop spending so much of their time and money on entertainment/gambling...and spend more time on work, with their family/kids, et al.

Perceived problem: Customer REALLY wants a drink after a long, hard day/week/month/year/life.

Actual problem (for some): Customer might use alcohol to mask/dampen many of the real problems in life they aren't willing to face.

Just sayin'. For many, hobbies, products/services they consume, etc. can be healthy! Keep them from being a miserable robot only serving others in life. But for others, said hobbies/products/services can be destructive. Destroy lives and bank accounts. And how are we, the business owners, going to distinguish between helping solve a customer's problem, and creating bigger problems for customers (taking their money in the process)?

I can think of a couple dozen businesses I could start tomorrow that would prey upon people's weaknesses or stupidity...but I would need to sell my consciousness/soul in order to stand looking at myself in the mirror. Giving many consumers what they want or think they need! When it's actually more destructive to their long term physical, mental/emotional, intellectual or financial health. But what if I can't financially make it only selling to the 80% of people who "can handle it?" Where it's healthy consumption? Will most business owners out there turn away the 20% of people we know we are harming, when for several of us, that 20% of sales might be the difference between keeping the lights on and eating next month?

Rhetorical question. I just wanted to say that being in business is far more complex financially and ethically/morally than simply "solving a customer's problem."

Hi datonn,

Actually solving the customer's problem is the base of business in my opinion.

Of course, you can get into businesses that are things to avoid. (Selling herion is solving the herion addict's problem too.)

My point was a "big picture" understand what business is. Or at least my opinion of it.

Obviously, one can be in businesses that are destructive. Everyone has to decide for themselves where those lines are. Some of the wealthiest people in any town are the people running the cigarette / liquor / beer distributorships. Are those acceptable problems to be solving? People have to work that out for themselves.

For this thread, I was just hitting on a big picture point that I believe business at it's core is solving problems for the customer. And I see lots of people losing sight of that or not seeing it clearly.

J

Solve the customers problem the best way possible even if it doesn't benefit you.
Exactly.

Sometimes, your product really is not the answer for that person and doesn't SOLVE THEIR PROBLEM. It may sound idiotic, but in that case, you're better off helping them solve their problem even it means they buy something else. It'll come back to you in the long run. Not today. But it'll get back to you.

J
The most succinct way I've heard this explained is 'Sell benefits, not features.' You don't sell a car with 40mpg, you sell a car that cuts the fuel costs in half. You don't sell a smart phone with processing power and megapixel camera, you sell a phone that can help you find a restaurant and post high-quality photos of your food to Facebook. This is where Apple has excelled. It doesn't advertise RAM, memory, resolution. It sells technology as helping solve problems easily and beautifully.

Building on Abe's point above about filling a need.

Here's a basic thing that I see really smart people miss sometimes.

Business at it's base is solving a problem.

It's not really much more complicated than that.

A fast food restaurant solves the problem of people that don't want / can't cook their own food at that time.

A grocery store solves the problem of the person having an empty cupboard.

A managed services business solves the problem of a small company needing IT but can't afford a full time guy.

A fantasy football business solves the problem of the guy doesn't have time to keep up with all the news so he wants some help in finding what's important.

I see too many people lose sight of the big picture. A guy selling boats at the boat dealership is going to be most successful when he sees selling boats as solving the problem his customer has of wanting an activity to get his family together or fish or ski or whatever. Boat seller guy's goal is not that he needs to sell boats. His goal is to solve the problems his customers have.

Now what if what he's selling doesn't really solve the problem? Then he's running a short term "business". He either needs to figure out how to solve the problem or move on to another job.

This really is part of a bigger life tenet: "It's not about you". But that's for another post.

For now, think of your business or idea in terms of what problem it will solve.

It's very rare that the business comes up with a problem people didn't know they had. In the vast majority of cases, identify problems and offer ways to solve them. That's really all business is.

J
I can boil this down to 3 simple points:-create value

-capture some of that value

-let your customer recieve some of that value

If you can do that, you're in business

Pest control in the food service industry is easy money with low startup cost. The hard part is getting accounts.

I do this for a living, and I may be relocating next year and am probably going to start my own gig. Right now I have 190 restaurants on my route, and I work 16 days (well, actually nights) a month (avg 4 days a week). My route brings in alover $11k per month to my company, and the monthly cost to do the route is less than $1k (chemicals, car payment/insurance, fuel, etc). If you already had a vehicle you could use (small truck with a topper, or small car with a hitch box to carry chemicals), startup cost would be less than $2k for equipment and chemicals for a one person operation.

Average cost per small restaurant is about $50 for once a month service. Restaurants with a decent sized dining room can bring $65 - $100 per month and sometimes more.

If I had my own business and 100 restaurants, those 100 restaurants would bring in between $5k and $7k per month, minus $500 to $1000 operating cost, and I'd be left with $4000 to $6500 a month of pure profit. That's not great money, right? Well take into account that Id be pulling in $48k to $78k (after operating costs) by only working 8-10 days a month (I average 12 stops per night).

Of course, each state is different in the requirements to start a pest control business and to get certified. Some states require a certain amount of time working pest control before you can start a business doing it, and sometimes a small single day course is required to get certified as an applicator. But overall its easy money for little work if you can get accounts.

Pest control in the food service industry is easy money with low startup cost. The hard part is getting accounts.

I do this for a living, and I may be relocating next year and am probably going to start my own gig. Right now I have 190 restaurants on my route, and I work 16 days (well, actually nights) a month (avg 4 days a week). My route brings in alover $11k per month to my company, and the monthly cost to do the route is less than $1k (chemicals, car payment/insurance, fuel, etc).

Average cost per small restaurant is about $50 for once a month service. Restaurants with a decent sized dining room can bring $65 - $100 per month and sometimes more.

If I had my own business and 100 restaurants, those 100 restaurants would bring in between $5k and $7k per month, minus $500 to $1000 operating cost, and I'd be left with $4000 to $6500 a month of pure profit. That's not great money, right? Well take into account that Id be pulling in $48k to $78k (after operating costs) by only working 8-10 days a month (I average 12 stops per night).

Of course, each state is different in the requirements to start a pest control business and to get certified. Some states require a certain amount of time working pest control before you can start a business doing it, and sometimes a small single day course is required to get certified as an applicator. But overall its easy money for little work if you can get accounts.
What hours are you working at night? I'd imagine pretty weird hours, right? Nevertheless, great example!

Tiger Fan

Yes I work overnights because my company likes us to go in after hours so we can use the strong chemicals that have residual effects that last between services (we cant spray something like orthene if they are open) Also, if a restaurant has pests like roaches, etc, the problems are easier to find at night when employees are gone and the lights are out. However its not necessary. If one were inclined, one could service in the morning before the restaurants opened, or just after close. Or, you could service during business hours with weaker chemicals.

Exactly.

J
The most succinct way I've heard this explained is 'Sell benefits, not features.' You don't sell a car with 40mpg, you sell a car that cuts the fuel costs in half. You don't sell a smart phone with processing power and megapixel camera, you sell a phone that can help you find a restaurant and post high-quality photos of your food to Facebook. This is where Apple has excelled. It doesn't advertise RAM, memory, resolution. It sells technology as helping solve problems easily and beautifully.
:hifive:

J

Wingnut said:
Tiger Fan

Yes I work overnights because my company likes us to go in after hours so we can use the strong chemicals that have residual effects that last between services (we cant spray something like orthene if they are open) Also, if a restaurant has pests like roaches, etc, the problems are easier to find at night when employees are gone and the lights are out. However its not necessary. If one were inclined, one could service in the morning before the restaurants opened, or just after close. Or, you could service during business hours with weaker chemicals.
Gotcha

Not to get too far off the beaten path, but it goes a little deeper than simply solving a customer's problem. There's solving a customer's problem, and there's creating a problem for a customer (knowingly or unknowingly) via what we will happily sell them if they'll surrender some cash.

Perceived problem: Customer needs help finding timely news and reliable opinions in effort to manage their fantasy football team(s) better.

Actual problem (for some): Customer needs to stop spending so much of their time and money on entertainment/gambling...and spend more time on work, with their family/kids, et al.

Perceived problem: Customer REALLY wants a drink after a long, hard day/week/month/year/life.

Actual problem (for some): Customer might use alcohol to mask/dampen many of the real problems in life they aren't willing to face.

Just sayin'. For many, hobbies, products/services they consume, etc. can be healthy! Keep them from being a miserable robot only serving others in life. But for others, said hobbies/products/services can be destructive. Destroy lives and bank accounts. And how are we, the business owners, going to distinguish between helping solve a customer's problem, and creating bigger problems for customers (taking their money in the process)?

I can think of a couple dozen businesses I could start tomorrow that would prey upon people's weaknesses or stupidity...but I would need to sell my consciousness/soul in order to stand looking at myself in the mirror. Giving many consumers what they want or think they need! When it's actually more destructive to their long term physical, mental/emotional, intellectual or financial health. But what if I can't financially make it only selling to the 80% of people who "can handle it?" Where it's healthy consumption? Will most business owners out there turn away the 20% of people we know we are harming, when for several of us, that 20% of sales might be the difference between keeping the lights on and eating next month?

Rhetorical question. I just wanted to say that being in business is far more complex financially and ethically/morally than simply "solving a customer's problem."
Should you not open a business where people spend money because some not insignificant percentage of the population gets addicted to spending and ruins their life? Should you not write a book because someone may use an idea in it to do a bad thing? Yes you don't want to do immoral things to get a sale. You don't want to sell snake oil. I left companies over issues like that. But if my product is legal, safe and it provides whatever benefit I say it will then the fact that someone may find a way to turn it into a problem for themselves isn't on me.

Should you not open a business where people spend money because some not insignificant percentage of the population gets addicted to spending and ruins their life? Should you not write a book because someone may use an idea in it to do a bad thing? Yes you don't want to do immoral things to get a sale. You don't want to sell snake oil. I left companies over issues like that. But if my product is legal, safe and it provides whatever benefit I say it will then the fact that someone may find a way to turn it into a problem for themselves isn't on me.
Careful, you might let your capitalist slip show a bit if you aren't careful...

So, for argument's sake, could you please define "safe?"

I've voted "D" in about 2/3rd of elections since ~2004 (though only for POTUS in 96, 08, and 12), so I am FAR from attacking you from the Right! But I would guess you would agree that there are a bevy of products/services out there where there is ongoing debate about what is considered "safe" for consumers in our society. Certain types of guns/ammunition. The legal age for consuming alcohol. Marijuana. Tobacco (most notably, where it can be consumed). Heck...how much soda you can buy from a vendor in NYC! In our capitalist society, one which I thank God every day that I am lucky enough to be a part of, who gets to decide what is "safe?" Individuals, parents, the government, et al. I'm talking when all the people who decide "what's safe" disagree. :popcorn:

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but Could you take this inane discussion somewhere else please?

Almost zero. The number of sites that generate substantial revenue through advertising present an astounding amount of content. For example, The Chive, The Onion, Bleacher Report, etc. have dozens of curations, articles or collections each day. Smaller sites that generate a little bit of advertising money ($200-1000/month) still get updated regularly.
To add on to this, the browser extensions which block ads are not as concerning to me as the decline in ad costs (cost per click). A year and a half to two years ago I could get right around $1 per click. Today its 50 to 60 cents per click. The erosion in ad costs has been pretty staggering. There are articles all over the web confirming this and Google comments on it in every analyst call. :(

So while you are adding content and page views and more and more clicks, you are constantly being eroded in the money you make per click. I don't know how much lower it can go.

So in some ways I agree with Abe, the viability is very tough, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it is almost zero.

To add on to this, the browser extensions which block ads are not as concerning to me as the decline in ad costs (cost per click). A year and a half to two years ago I could get right around $1 per click. Today its 50 to 60 cents per click. The erosion in ad costs has been pretty staggering. There are articles all over the web confirming this and Google comments on it in every analyst call. :(

So while you are adding content and page views and more and more clicks, you are constantly being eroded in the money you make per click. I don't know how much lower it can go.

So in some ways I agree with Abe, the viability is very tough, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it is almost zero.
What is interesting though is how strong the proponents of this are. I don't have the link handy but I read a little while back an article from the guys who started Bleacher Report that after they sold, they were absolutely going to start their next venture with the same model with free content while making their money from ads.

In other words, the opposite of FBG where we make the majority of our revenue on subscriptions.

It really is pretty interesting. I don't know which way is "right".

J

Users who are viewing this thread