What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Crabtree, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
A new thread, as the other thread references his Achilles injury, and there was a request in that one to start a new thread to avoid any confusion.

JohnnyU:

It's probably time to create a new Crabtree thread since he's playing again, because it can't be a good thing for Crabtree owners to see "torn Achillies" and Crabtree in the title. Better yet, it's unfair to Crabtree owners to have to see that now.
While not looking entirely like his is 100% recovered, the fact that he has come back and is playing at a high level is remarkable in itself.

Please feel free to post any content in here related to his Dynasty and Redraft prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim Harbaugh: Michael Crabtree is best 'catcher' ever

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

The San Francisco 49ers are heading to Carolina this weekend with an offense that looks noticeably different from what the Panthers faced back in Week 10.

The most obvious change has come through the air, where quarterback Colin Kaepernick is playing at his highest level inside an attack that now has its top receiver back in the mix. The play of Michael Crabtree -- showing no visible lag from his Achilles injury -- made all the difference in Sunday's 23-20 wild-card win over the Packers in frigid Green Bay.

Crabtree's eight catches for 125 yards included receptions of 11, 12, 13, 14 and 31 yards, but nothing topped his clutch 17-yard grab in a third-and-10 scenario on San Francisco's final game-winning drive.

Crabtree's consistency in the elements impressed his coach, to say the least:

"People talk about cold weather and it'd be tough to catch balls," coach Jim Harbaugh told reporters after the game, per the Bay Area News Group. "But the greatest catcher of all time, Michael Crabtree, catches everything. It's unbelievable.

"In the northern snowlands, down to the tropics' sunny scenes, he's catching the football. Where they throw a football, he'll be catching it."

Harbaugh's poetry rings true. We don't interpret his praise as anointing Crabtree above, say, Jerry Rice. It's more a gushing over his ability to produce in any environment. It's also just Harbaugh being Harbaugh.

Crabtree was Kaepernick's favorite target last season and once again on Sunday. Kap targeted him 13 times Sunday, a season high -- and the equal of his throws to Anquan Boldin (six) and Vernon Davis (seven) combined.

Sunday represented a shift from the regular season, when Kaepernick's 21 touchdowns included 13 to Davis, seven to Boldin and just one to Crabtree, who played in just five games on his way back from offseason surgery.

"If my life depended on it and somebody had to catch a ball," Harbaugh said, "I'd enlist Michael Crabtree to do it."

Toss in San Francisco's eternally rugged ground game, and the Panthers -- playoff newbies -- have their hands full in what shapes up, on paper, as next weekend's finest game.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" recapped all the Wild Card Weekend action.

Rotoworld from late December 2013:

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians says he does "not see the same guy" when watching Michael Crabtree on 2013 game tape.

Crabtree, of course, is coming off Achilles' surgery. Arians did concede Crabtree is "getting really close" after a five-catch, 102-yard Monday night game against Atlanta. "You can tell he doesn't look as comfortable as he did when he was healthy," added Patrick Peterson. "Obviously, that's going to come with time. But he can still catch the ball and still run good routes."

Source: CSN Bay Area

Rotoworld:

The 49ers are expected to approach Michael Crabtree about a contract extension this offseason.
Crabtree is owed $3.5 million entering the final year of his rookie contract. The 49ers had to be pleased with his 2013 recovery from Achilles' surgery, as Crabtree returned late in the season and made an impact. He's 26 years old. Re-signing Crabtree could be much cheaper now as opposed to next winter.

The value proposition for Crabtree is also very contingent upon the continued development of Colin Kaepernick.

Rotoworld:

The Sacramento Bee believes Michael Crabtree is less likely to get a contract extension now.
Over the last week the 49ers have traded for Stevie Johnson and drafted Bruce Ellington in the fourth round. Perhaps Baalke is just buying another year to ensure that Crabtree is indeed fully recovered from his 2012 Achilles' tear before making a pricy, long-term commitment. Crabtree, the Niners' obvious No. 1 wideout, is entering the final year of his rookie deal.

Source: Sacramento Bee

Rotoworld:

Michael Crabtree is expected to seek "(nothing) less than a big-money deal" in extension talks with the 49ers.

If the sides can't reach a compromise before next March, beat writer Matt Maiocco believes it's "doubtful" the Niners slap Crabtree with the franchise tag. The 2014 wideout tag was worth $12.3 million. It's worth remembering that Crabtree undertook a lengthy training camp holdout before signing his rookie contract. Crabtree's agent is known to drive a hard bargain. The 49ers have some tough decisions to make after locking up Colin Kaepernick.

Jun 4 - 9:34 PM

Worth pointing out that Schefter is reporting Kaepernick intentionally structured his deal in a team-friendly way so that the Niners would have the ability to re-sign several other key players, including Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/colin-kaepernick-contract-49ers-extend/231525

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Kaepernick wanted to structure his contract in a way that would allow the Niners the ability to extend his other teammates. For example, tight end Vernon Davis is talking about holding out because he wants more money, and wide receiver Michael Crabtree is likely seeking a big-money deal from the team.

“When signing this deal, Kaepernick specifically requested his deal allow the 49ers the flexibility to negotiate contract extensions with other players, such as wide receiver Michael Crabtree, who has one year left on his deal,” reported Schefter on SportsCenter.

“When signing, Kaepernick specifically asked, ‘So this structure gives us room to try extensions with my teammates, right?’ Once Kaepernick was told yes, he signed away …”

crabtree is playing for his big contract. he's motivated and in a decent spot to put up good numbers. that's all you can hope for.

crabtree is playing for his big contract. he's motivated and in a decent spot to put up good numbers. that's all you can hope for.
I thought this about Hakeem Nicks. :mellow:
no one did well in that offense. they were at the bottom of the league in total offense (28th) including rushing (30th) and passing (19th). it was a total team effort in that regard. Crabtree could stink it up but i'm not inclined to believe the entire SF offense will. like i said before, he's in a good position here.

no one did well in that offense. they were at the bottom of the league in total offense (28th) including rushing (30th) and passing (19th). it was a total team effort in that regard. Crabtree could stink it up but i'm not inclined to believe the entire SF offense will. like i said before, he's in a good position here.
I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just pointing out that I thought the exact same thing about Nicks. I like Crabtree.

Buying. (in an ongoing auction)

Roughly same price as Fitzgerald, DJax, KWright, Garcon and Floyd.

I'm goning to have to disagree. Unless you are going to argue that this has been a two-year slide for the Giants offense (which the argument can be made), in 2013, Victor Cruz had 13 less receptions and 98 less yards in two less games, as compared to his 2012 numbers (so he was on par from the prior year).

The real question is, whose production does Stevie Johnson cannibalize? Is it a combo of Crabtree, Boldin and Davis (and therefore you would see only a slight down tick in each player's production)? Or does he unevenly cut into a specific player's production (I personally think it will be Boldin, but it could be Crabtree)?

Rotoworld:

Michael Crabtree - WR - 49ers

CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco believes it would be a "major surprise" if the 49ers signed Michael Crabtree to an extension before he hits free agency in 2015.

Maiocco notes the 49ers are "not in the business of overpaying," and Crabtree is known to be seeking top dollar. Maiocco previously stated it was "doubtful" Crabtree would be slapped with the franchise tag, which will be worth over $12.3 million next offseason. Still only 26, Crabtree would be a hot item on the open market. He should be primed for a career-best season in his walk year.

Jun 9 - 5:33 PM

Rotoworld:

CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco believes it would be a "major surprise" if the 49ers signed Michael Crabtree to an extension before he hits free agency in 2015.

Maiocco notes the 49ers are "not in the business of overpaying," and Crabtree is known to be seeking top dollar. Maiocco previously stated it was "doubtful" Crabtree would be slapped with the franchise tag, which will be worth over $12.3 million next offseason. Still only 26, Crabtree would be a hot item on the open market. He should be primed for a career-best season in his walk year.

Crabtree is underused in the San Francisco offense. I would love to see him with a quality QB like Tom Brady though...

Rotoworld:

Crabtree is underused in the San Francisco offense. I would love to see him with a quality QB like Tom Brady though...
I am impressed with your consistent inaccuracy.

Rotoworld:

I am impressed with your consistent inaccuracy.
I don't get it. Let's make this a two-part response:

1.) Show me examples of my "consistent inaccuracy".

2.) Colin Kaepernick threw the ball 416 times last season for a completion percentage of 58.4%.

Tom Brady threw the ball 628 times last season for a completion percentage of 60.5%.

In his last full season, 2012, Crabtree was targeted on 28% of the 49ers pass plays.....the same percentage as league leader Calvin Johnson.

I don't have the time or energy to educate you on offensive philosophies. There are lots of good posters you can learn from rather than trying to provide advice on something you understand so little about.

In his last full season, 2012, Crabtree was targeted on 28% of the 49ers pass plays.....the same percentage as league leader Calvin Johnson.

I don't have the time or energy to educate you on offensive philosophies. There are lots of good posters you can learn from rather than trying to provide advice on something you understand so little about.
I'm reporting you.

Yeah, and Matt Stafford threw over 600 times that year. Alex Smith and Kaepernick combined for about 450 passes that year. The San Francisco offense doesn't throw so even if he is a big part of the passing game, the fact that San Francisco doesn't throw a lot caps his fantasy potential.

Explain again, while you're on your high horse, what I 'don't' understand.

EDIT: Still waiting for examples of my "consistent inaccuracy".

Rotoworld:

SF won't pay him the superstar WR money that he wants, I think that's clear. What's interesting is whether anyone else will be willing to throw that kind of money at him in FA. If they do, he's gone, but I can see him testing the market and finding that SF values more than other teams would.

Faust said:
We knew this would be the case. Guys coming back from an Achilles injury that quickly are a very new phenomenon- Terrell Suggs is the only other guy we've seen pull it off. But "able to play" and "back to full speed" are very different things- Suggs was a shadow of his former self upon returning from injury, but then was 100% fine the next season. That's what I was saying in the early stages of the injury- the fact that they were talking about Crabtree being able to return in 2013 meant very little for Crabtree in 2013, but a lot for him in 2014.

Is it just me or does his ADP seem way too steep? I just can't see how his lives up to a mid-WR2 billing with all the receiving weapons and only a few passes from a mediocre passer to go around. And I was one of the people who benefited from his 2012 season. But much like 2013 when I thought he was over priced pre-injury, I find myself with the same feeling. I think he's a quality receiver and hope his achilles injury doesn't sap him of any explosiveness because he didn't have a lot to spare - he makes his money by running good routes and catching everything, but if he gets slower it could be a problem. I don't suspect he was much faster than a 4.6 before injury. If he looks like he did before injury, I'll be interested to see where he lands in 2015.

Is it just me or does his ADP seem way too steep? I just can't see how his lives up to a mid-WR2 billing with all the receiving weapons and only a few passes from a mediocre passer to go around. And I was one of the people who benefited from his 2012 season. But much like 2013 when I thought he was over priced pre-injury, I find myself with the same feeling. I think he's a quality receiver and hope his achilles injury doesn't sap him of any explosiveness because he didn't have a lot to spare - he makes his money by running good routes and catching everything, but if he gets slower it could be a problem. I don't suspect he was much faster than a 4.6 before injury. If he looks like he did before injury, I'll be interested to see where he lands in 2015.
His ADP may be a little high, but I'm not sure he faces all that much competition for targets. He should lead the team in targets rather easily and the other options aren't all that inspiring outside of Vernon Davis. Boldin is 35 and after a quick start, slowed considerably last season. Stevie Johnson will be learning a new system and will likely be a third or fourth option on the team - and the offense under Harbaugh doesn't really throw to the RBs much.

He should be back to full health so it doesn't seem like he'll be slower. I would expect #'s similar to 2012 which put him right around a mid wr2.

His ADP may be a little high, but I'm not sure he faces all that much competition for targets. He should lead the team in targets rather easily and the other options aren't all that inspiring outside of Vernon Davis. Boldin is 35 and after a quick start, slowed considerably last season. Stevie Johnson will be learning a new system and will likely be a third or fourth option on the team - and the offense under Harbaugh doesn't really throw to the RBs much.
Actually Boldin is 33 and his second half stats (47/628/5) were better than 1st half (38/551/2) and he led the team in post season receptions and yards. Pretty good for an old guy. In 2012 Kaepernik targeted Crabtree at a 72/217=33.3% rate which I believe is probably in the top 5 and to me was an indication of both their chemistry as well as lack of other options. Only guys I believe were targeted more heavily on a pct basis were Marshall and Wayne (apologize if I missed a few).

Boldin last year seemed to pretty seamlessly fill that role vacated by Crabs. Same catches, more yards, 2 fewer TDs on 9 fewer targets (targeted on 31% of Kaeps passes). I think Kaep now has 2 highly reliable and trusted targets and adding Ellington and Johnson to the mix is only bound to spread out targets further. IMO for crabs to perform at present ADP were going to need to see a big increase in pass attempts in the neighborhood of 25% (around 520 total) for Crabtree to hit targets in the high 130's like 2012. It's hard for me to see that happening given what we've seen the past couple of years in SF.

Actually Boldin is 33 and his second half stats (47/628/5) were better than 1st half (38/551/2) and he led the team in post season receptions and yards. Pretty good for an old guy. In 2012 Kaepernik targeted Crabtree at a 72/217=33.3% rate which I believe is probably in the top 5 and to me was an indication of both their chemistry as well as lack of other options. Only guys I believe were targeted more heavily on a pct basis were Marshall and Wayne (apologize if I missed a few).

Boldin last year seemed to pretty seamlessly fill that role vacated by Crabs. Same catches, more yards, 2 fewer TDs on 9 fewer targets (targeted on 31% of Kaeps passes). I think Kaep now has 2 highly reliable and trusted targets and adding Ellington and Johnson to the mix is only bound to spread out targets further. IMO for crabs to perform at present ADP were going to need to see a big increase in pass attempts in the neighborhood of 25% (around 520 total) for Crabtree to hit targets in the high 130's like 2012. It's hard for me to see that happening given what we've seen the past couple of years in SF.
Thank you for saving me the time of refuting that misinformation. And that pass attempts vs. target % is exactly where I was going. For Crabtree to hit his ADP this year people must be planning on a big jump in either productivity or passing attempts for the SF QB. I feel like his 7.7 YPA and 20 PA/TD were about as much as was can expect from Kaepernick, so they must be expecting a boost in attempts.

I think we are looking at 500 attempts max (only 416 last year) although I won't be surprised if they stay short of 450 attempts. Whatever it is, it'll be split among Crabtree, Boldin, V.Davis, Stevie Johnson, Brandon Lloyd, and Patton. And let's not forget that 72 of those 416 went to the RBs last year. Only 231 targets to WRs (56%).

Boldin turns 34 in Week 4 - but my mistake on the age. Word is that the 49ers are going to rely on Kaep passing the ball more but who knows?

Good post though - and my perception of Boldin's season was wrong (I apologize for that). Still at 34 and playing as physical as he has his whole career he will hit a wall eventually - and I still don't see that much competition for targets outside of Crabtree, Boldin and Davis though ( but I guess Johnson could work his way in the mix).

Dr. Octopus said:

Boldin turns 34 in Week 4 - but my mistake on the age. Word is that the 49ers are going to rely on Kaep passing the ball more but who knows?

Good post though - and my perception of Boldin's season was wrong (I apologize for that). Still at 34 and playing as physical as he has his whole career he will hit a wall eventually - and I still don't see that much competition for targets outside of Crabtree, Boldin and Davis though ( but I guess Johnson could work his way in the mix).
What you don't acknowledge is that when you are a WR on the team with the fewest passing attempts in the league, any competition might be too much competition. Do yourself a favor and attempt to do the math. How many targets do you think Crabtree needs to be a mid-WR2? Then determine what % that is of your expecting passing attempts in SF.

The median att/gm is around 36. SF is around 26. So even if Crabtree gets the most targets on his team, it's still a little bit like playing second fiddle to a WR1 who gets 10 targets a game in a normal offense. If Crabtree was playing on the Steelers with Brandon Marshall and Vernon Davis, would you be drafting him as a WR2?

I like Crabtree, but I don't think the targets will be there and I don't know what grade his achilles tear was. I don't think it is as simple as Tool thinks it is. Just because someone is fully healed from an injury it doesn't mean they are going to be as good as new. They are simply as good as they are going to get after a career threatening injury. The body is done healing, but is the achilles as good as it was before the tear? Very possibly not.

What you don't acknowledge is that when you are a WR on the team with the fewest passing attempts in the league, any competition might be too much competition. Do yourself a favor and attempt to do the math. How many targets do you think Crabtree needs to be a mid-WR2? Then determine what % that is of your expecting passing attempts in SF.

The median att/gm is around 36. SF is around 26. So even if Crabtree gets the most targets on his team, it's still a little bit like playing second fiddle to a WR1 who gets 10 targets a game in a normal offense. If Crabtree was playing on the Steelers with Brandon Marshall and Vernon Davis, would you be drafting him as a WR2?

I like Crabtree, but I don't think the targets will be there and I don't know what grade his achilles tear was. I don't think it is as simple as Tool thinks it is. Just because someone is fully healed from an injury it doesn't mean they are going to be as good as new. They are simply as good as they are going to get after a career threatening injury. The body is done healing, but is the achilles as good as it was before the tear? Very possibly not.
I haven't started doing any projections yet, but things don't always stay the same in the NFL:

OC Greg Roman hinted that the 49ers could throw more this season.
It's June so perhaps that's just "coach speak" "fluff" or whatever you want to call it, but lets consider the following:

- the team did just extend Kaepernick with a pretty lofty contract. While it's true they gave themselves an out due to it having very limited guaranteed years, they would love for him to earn each season and will want to see if he can by turning the offense over to him;

- Kaepernick is only starting his second full season (and offseason) as a starting QB. There's room for him to improve as a passer;

- Jim Harbaugh being a former QB, would likely love to have a more wide open offense. It's just that his team (solid D, o-line and RBs) and QBs (Smith and then a young/raw Kaep) weren't built to be a passing team. Admittedly this is speculative on my part, but I think Harbaugh is dying to open things up a little;

- The defense is starting to decline a bit and will be missing some key players due to suspensions and injuries. A ball control attack may not be the luxury it once was.

Crabtree should be healthy after having time to recover from injury (Achilles tears aren't the death knell they were once considered to be, but I agree with you we can't say for sure - my only re-draft happens right before Week 1 kickoff so we'll know better by then) and the rest of the supporting cast is aging or uninspiring (just mentioning Brandon Lloyd who I can see not even making the team makes this point). I do agree that name recognition is likely causing his ADP to be higher than it should, but the only point I was addressing originally was the "too much competition" for targets angle. I just don't see it.

I haven't started doing any projections yet, but things don't always stay the same in the NFL:

It's June so perhaps that's just "coach speak" "fluff" or whatever you want to call it, but lets consider the following:

- the team did just extend Kaepernick with a pretty lofty contract. While it's true they gave themselves an out due to it having very limited guaranteed years, they would love for him to earn each season and will want to see if he can by turning the offense over to him;

- Kaepernick is only starting his second full season (and offseason) as a starting QB. There's room for him to improve as a passer;

- Jim Harbaugh being a former QB, would likely love to have a more wide open offense. It's just that his team (solid D, o-line and RBs) and QBs (Smith and then a young/raw Kaep) weren't built to be a passing team. Admittedly this is speculative on my part, but I think Harbaugh is dying to open things up a little;

- The defense is starting to decline a bit and will be missing some key players due to suspensions and injuries. A ball control attack may not be the luxury it once was.

Crabtree should be healthy after having time to recover from injury (Achilles tears aren't the death knell they were once considered to be, but I agree with you we can't say for sure - my only re-draft happens right before Week 1 kickoff so we'll know better by then) and the rest of the supporting cast is aging or uninspiring (just mentioning Brandon Lloyd who I can see not even making the team makes this point). I do agree that name recognition is likely causing his ADP to be higher than it should, but the only point I was addressing originally was the "too much competition" for targets angle. I just don't see it.
I don't dispute that things change in the NFL, but this would be a sharp departure. Part of Kaepernick's success has been due to the large amount of base defenses he faces rather than nickel or dime scenarios. If they shift to the pass, then he'll likely see a decline in production which will somewhat offset these increased attempts. SF faced more defenses with <= 4 DBs than any other team in the NFL last year.

And yes, I'll confirm that an OC "hinting" they could pass more this year is absolutely offseason fluff. There have probably been hints from 32 teams that they'll run more and pass more this year. Pitt has said they are going to line up Blount as a receiver from time to time! So basically any crazy, unrealistic scenario you can think of, there will be a blurb about it.

I also think that Harbaugh being a former QB is a weak bullet point. He wants to win games. I doubt he cares how he does it. What I think might be a stronger case is that, potentially, Gore declines and neither Hyde or Lattimore step up and they are forced to pass more. I think SF will be a very interesting situation to monitor this year. But I doubt Crabtree sees more than 120 targets, making him quite an iffy draft pick at his current ADP.

A lot of these rationales for the Niners throwing more were put forth by the coaches and media last offseason as well. I'll believe it when I see it. Harbaugh is not a guy who is comfortable with a wide open passing attack. Davis's holdout could help get 3 WR on the field more, but I have trouble believing he's willing to actually miss time over it.

Rotoworld:

Colin Kaepernick believes Michael Crabtree is a "step or two quicker now" than he was last season as he recovered from his torn Achilles' tendon.

"He has a burst out of his routes," Kaepernick said. "He has burst when he catches the ball. (He) looks really good out there." We don't normally place much stock in "so-and-so looks much quicker this summer" reports, but it's actually believable in Crabtree's case, as he's now more than a year removed from the injury that cost him 11 games in 2013. Crabtree is primed for a big bounce-back campaign as he plays in a contract year.

Related: Colin Kaepernick

Jul 29 - 6:01 PM

very good posting.Sums it all up for us Crabtree owners, really..time to sell high fellas..the perception is that he's returnin to form, the reality is that he just won't see that many balls thrown his way to amount to anything better than a low-end #3 WR...Michael Floyd for xample is a #3 WR with much more upside.I'd rather take a flyer on Floyd..

Roman thinks 49ers getting Crabtree's best

By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Michael Crabtree has been a major topic in the first week of the San Francisco 49ers' training camp.

Crabtree looks to be completely recovered from a torn Achilles he suffered in May, 2013. Crabtree returned in December after missing the first 11 games of the season. While he was productive, Crabtree wasn’t all the way back. However, he has been at full speed this summer and teammates have remarked how strong he looks.

San Francisco offensive coordinator Greg Roman took it one step further Thursday. Roman thinks Crabtree, entering his sixth NFL season, is at his best.

“I’m saying he’s better than the old Michael Crabtree,” Roman said. “Why? Just physical conditioning, understanding of the game. I think he played the game last year under less-than-ideal circumstances, and had to adjust his game a little bit to account for that. So, think that maybe just brought a little bit even more experience to his game.”

Roman said Crabtree, who will be a free agent after the season and who the 49ers want to re-sign, is at the top of every aspect of his game.

“I just think he’s in better shape. But he’s playing strong, very quick, explosive,” Roman said. “Really driven to take care of all the little details on things, the technique things, and that’s what’s really stood out to me the most.”

Crabtree didn’t practice Thursday after departing practice early Wednesday. Roman said it does not appear to be serious.

Rotoworld:

A source familiar with Michael Crabtree believes the 49ers' wideout is dealing with a sore hamstring.
Whatever it is, the team expects Crabtree to be out no longer than two weeks. It'll probably cost Crabtree the 49ers' preseason opener. "I think he has a sore hamstring," the source told ESPN's Josina Anderson. "Nothing too serious right now. I think they want to hold him back a bit to be cautious."

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter

SF's average was so low prob b/c they didn't have any wr's last year. I'd expect that to bump up some from last year. When Crabtree came back last year he did pretty well even though from all accounts he wasn't 100% back. I do not believe that an ACL tear is career threatening. D. Thomas had the same injury. Are there other notable wr's who had a big drop-off in production or whose career flamed out when they were in their prime?

Crabs and Lloyd on the shelf for two weeks according to Harbaugh. This is a great time for Stevie Johnson to shine in camp. Most early reports have been glowing for Stevie.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Crabs and Lloyd on the shelf for two weeks according to Harbaugh. This is a great time for Stevie Johnson to shine in camp. Most early reports have been glowing for Stevie.
That's always the case with him in preseason.

Maiocco said today he doesn't think any player--Crab, Boldin, VD, Stevie--gets over 85 catches this year (duh). He sees the hot hand/matchup producing.

I think Crab gets 80, but interesting to hear Matt's take. He also put Kap's passing yardage at 3600. I'd be shocked if he was under 4k. Expecting a big jump this season with some legitimate targets.

Michael Crabtree misses practice with calf injury:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/03/michael-crabtree-misses-practice-with-calf-injury/

49ers receiver Michael Crabtree missed 16 days of practice during training camp with a hamstring injury. The good news is that the hamstring has healed. The bad news is that he has another injury.

Via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com, Crabtree missed practice on Wednesday with a calf injury.

Also out was right tackle Anthony Davis, who missed all of training camp and the preseason with a shoulder problem and who know has a hamstring injury. Former Dolphins offensive lineman Jonathan Martin would get the start at right tackle, if Davis cant play.

Another report will be issued on Thursday, and Fridays report will have the label attached as to whether Crabtree and Martin are probable, questionable, doubtful, or out.

The 49ers travel to Dallas on Sunday. Twenty years ago, it was the annual NFC title game. This year, a lot of weird stuff will have to happen for these two teams to meet for the right to go to the Super Bowl.

Rotoworld:

Michael Crabtree (calf) will return to practice on Thursday, and feels "good to go" for Sunday's opener against the Cowboys.

Crabtree's Wednesday absence appears to have been purely precautionary. Now more than 15 months removed from tearing his Achilles' tendon, Colin Kaepernick's No. 1 receiver will be a borderline WR1 for a game that has serious shootout appeal in Dallas.

Source: Can Inman on Twitter

Sep 4 - 3:58 PM

Maiocco said today he doesn't think any player--Crab, Boldin, VD, Stevie--gets over 85 catches this year (duh). He sees the hot hand/matchup producing.

I think Crab gets 80, but interesting to hear Matt's take. He also put Kap's passing yardage at 3600. I'd be shocked if he was under 4k. Expecting a big jump this season with some legitimate targets.
Still a run first team though. 4K seems a bit too optimistic for me.

Still a run first team though. 4K seems a bit too optimistic for me.
Harbaugh plays to his strengths, and IMO there is more talent in the passing game for the first time in his tenure.The team will still run heavily, but I believe this is the year the passing game develops. 250 yds/game is really not much in today's NFL.

So I just heard on a podcast that Crabtree is a game time decision? That was news to me. With a late start it sounds like I have to go to my next option which would be Cooks. Was excited to have Crabtree as my 3, but we're not off to a good start. :mellow: Hopefully the calf issue doesn't linger.

What are others planning with a 1:00 deadline?

Users who are viewing this thread