What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Crabtree, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld take:

Michael Crabtree - WR - Raiders

Raiders signed WR Michael Crabtree to a one-year, $3 million contract with another $2 million available through incentives.

A May 2013 Achilles' rupture sparked a sharp downturn in Crabtree's career, as he's been brutally slow-footed since and bottomed out by playing just 68.1 percent of the 49ers' snaps last season. His free agent market was predictably ice cold, with only the Dolphins, Raiders and Ravens showing any interest. That allowed Reggie McKenzie to swoop in, as he has massive holes at wideout and tons of money to burn after missing out on big-ticket WRs Randall Cobb and Jeremy Maclin. But if Crabtree was looking to rehab his value, the Black Hole isn't the place to do it. The Raiders haven't had a 1,000-yard receiver since 2005 (Randy Moss) and we wouldn't expect Crabtree to break that streak. He'll be part of a rotation with James Jones, Rod Streater, Andre Holmes and a draft pick.

Source: Fallon Smith on Twitter

Apr 13 - 8:10 PM

signed with OAK for less money because he is too lazy to move. splitting snaps as WR3 irl. WR5 in fantasy. RIP
how do you know he's too lazy to move?
Crabtree is all about the money - do you know what commission he'll have to pay if he has to sell his house?
Easily offset by the net difference in state taxes. Something about moving to Florida spooked him. Most free agents given a choice jump at a chance to leave California for a tax free state like Texas or Florida. Whatever his reason for staying in the bay area, he finally came to the humbling conclusion that his value had bottomed out, almost unfairly considering his talent and statistics. Looks like he was forced to pay the ####### tax.

signed with OAK for less money because he is too lazy to move. splitting snaps as WR3 irl. WR5 in fantasy. RIP
how do you know he's too lazy to move?
Crabtree is all about the money - do you know what commission he'll have to pay if he has to sell his house?
Easily offset by the net difference in state taxes. Something about moving to Florida spooked him. Most free agents given a choice jump at a chance to leave California for a tax free state like Texas or Florida. Whatever his reason for staying in the bay area, he finally came to the humbling conclusion that his value had bottomed out, almost unfairly considering his talent and statistics. Looks like he was forced to pay the ####### tax.
Maybe he is happy in the bay area and is fine with making $3M. Maybe he is pretty confident that he can reach the incentives and get that extra $2M. Maybe he likes his chances of getting lots of targets in Oakland since the WR corp is not that strong and will be able to prove that he is worth more in 2016. Cooper or White have not actually been drafted by the Raiders yet. Maybe he thinks Carr is going to be a good QB.

I am not a fan of Crabtree. He looked slow last year. For a one year contract worth $3M and $5M tops, it does not hurt to sign him and see what happens.

Rotoworld:

CSN Bay Area considers Michael Crabtree's $2.2 million in incentives "hard to reach."

Crabtree's one-year deal has a base value of $3 million. Beyond that, he'll receive a $400,000 bonus for posting either 70 catches or 900 yards. He'd get another $1.4 million if he clears 100/1,400. There's also a $400,000 Pro Bowl bonus. We'd consider Crabtree unlikely to reach any of his incentives.

Source: CSN Bay Area

Apr 16 - 4:36 PM

70 receptions is less than 4.5 per game.

If you throw out his 2009 rookie and 2013 seasons, when he started 11 and five games, respectively, and sum his four other seasons, when he started 15, 14, 16 and 16 games (2010-2012 and 2014):

280 receptions in four seasons = 70 reception per season average. In two or half of these four seasons, he exceeded 70 receptions.

I wouldn't put that in the same "hard to reach" category as 100/1,400 or a Pro Bowl berth. Point taken on the latter two incentives.

70 receptions is less than 4.5 per game.

If you throw out his 2009 rookie and 2013 seasons, when he started 11 and five games, respectively, and sum his four other seasons, when he started 15, 14, 16 and 16 games (2010-2012 and 2014):

280 receptions in four seasons = 70 reception per season average. In two or half of these four seasons, he exceeded 70 receptions.

I wouldn't put that in the same "hard to reach" category as 100/1,400 or a Pro Bowl berth. Point taken on the latter two incentives.
Considering how rare it is for a Raiders WR to hit either of those numbers I don't think they are too worried about it.

His total compensation is still less than James Jones.

I've heard this OAK historical-based stat projection heuristic before.

My question. If what previous OAK WRs did was in a context that involved in many/most cases a different owner, GM, HC, OC, other position coaches, QBs, RBs, OL, WRs, TEs, defense, etc., how relevant is that to Crabtree, on the 2015 iteration Raiders?

To me, that would be like comparing the post-expansion Browns to what their "predecessors" did, as if it was some kind of baseline constraint, when in actuality, the pre-expansion Browns refer to the team we now call the Ravens, and are simply just another team.

* Not directing this at more shallow and recent history under the purview of the present GM regime and tenure, more at attempts to go deeper. And even in that case, since Carr was a rookie QB last year and they have a new HC, it isn't obvious how pre-Carr seasons or 2014 will bear on Crabtree, in 2015?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard this OAK historical-based stat projection heuristic before.

My question. If what previous OAK WRs did was in a context that involved in many/most cases a different owner, GM, HC, OC, other position coaches, QBs, RBs, OL, WRs, TEs, defense, etc., how relevant is that to Crabtree, on the 2015 iteration Raiders?

To me, that would be like comparing the post-expansion Browns to what their "predecessors" did, as if it was some kind of baseline constraint, when in actuality, the pre-expansion Browns refer to the team we now call the Ravens, and are simply just another team.

* Not directing this at more shallow and recent history under the purview of the present GM regime and tenure, more at attempts to go deeper. And even in that case, since Carr was a rookie QB last year and they have a new HC, it isn't obvious how pre-Carr seasons or 2014 will bear on Crabtree, in 2015?
I don't think anyone is implying that it can't be done because of historical numbers, but it shouldn't be ignored that the Raiders have been awful for so many years on so many levels that it is foolish to project anything above 80 receptions for a guy like Crabtree when we aren't seeing any signs of a turnaround yet. I mean here they are with yet another OC (and head coach). And Musgrave isn't exactly easy to read. He just got done working with Chip Kelly so is he going to go uptempo? Previously he rode Adrian Peterson hard, so is he going to lean on the RBs here? Jack Del Rio isn't known for prolific passing offenses. Is David Carr a legitimate NFL QB? There are so many red flags/question marks here that things sure look to be shaping up like the most recent Raiders teams, so historical milestones should at least be given a few grains of salt here.

1 - I referenced 70, not 80. That is the incentive.

2 - Not really making projections here, just stated the obvious, it is a lot more doable than 100/1,400 or a Pro Bowl. Not a real controversial distinction there.

3 - If anybody is going back to Jerry Rice*, per the above example, that is about as relevant as comparing the Browns to the Ravens. They quite literally, probably have absolutely NOTHING in common (personnel, coaches, etc., etc., etc.), and might as well be different teams. Pointing that out is foolish, how?

* Something like this illustrates the point - "80 receptions? In Oakland?? There hasn't been an 80 rec WR on the Raiders since Rich Gannon and Jerry Rice teamed up."

2 - Not really making projections here, just stated the obvious, it is a lot more doable than 100/1,400 or a Pro Bowl. Not a real controversial distinction there.

3 - If anybody is going back to Jerry Rice*, per the above example, that is about as relevant as comparing the Browns to the Ravens. They quite literally, probably have absolutely NOTHING in common (personnel, coaches, etc., etc., etc.), and might as well be different teams. Pointing that out is foolish, how?

* Something like this illustrates the point - "80 receptions? In Oakland?? There hasn't been an 80 rec WR on the Raiders since Rich Gannon and Jerry Rice teamed up."
I never said Jerry Rice was relevant to Michael Crabtree. I was making two points: (1) just how inept the passing game has been in Oakland for so long (2) I don't think homeboy had given much thought to his projection - it reeked of blind owner optimism.

And I didn't read back to the incentive stuff. I just saw your post calling people out for historical numbers. I think 70 rec is feasible, but if we're talking about fantasy value (which has always been my focus here), I'm not very confident that he'll reach 70 or that the rest of the numbers (yards & TDs) will be good enough to merit lineup consideration even IF he does hit the 70 number. If I stumbled into an argument over contract incentives, I'll just slowly back out of the room. If you have an angle you think I'm missing that could lead to Crabtree being a nice WR2 steal at a WR7 price, I'm all ears. The combination of Derek Carr, Bill Musgrave, Jack Del Rio, and James Jones have me pretty damn wary.

If we agree that Rice's OAK has zero in common with 2015, and therefore no bearing on Crabtree's expectations this year, than it sounds like we are on the same page. I wasn't addressing any other angle you may have been addressing in THAT context, just pointing it out in THIS one (the 70 reception incentive).

The biggest factor in trying to predict Crabtree's numbers is Crabtree. Makes little sense to compare the Raiders of 2015 to the Raiders of 2014. The only thing consistent is Carr and as a Raider fan, I hope that is not consistent.

Crabtree looked slow in 2014. He was never a burner but unless he gets some quickness back after the achilles injury, he is going to do very little in Oakland. He was not as good as James Jones last season. If the Raiders draft Cooper or White, Crabtree will not even be on the field much.

I never said Jerry Rice was relevant to Michael Crabtree. I was making two points: (1) just how inept the passing game has been in Oakland for so long (2) I don't think homeboy had given much thought to his projection - it reeked of blind owner optimism.

And I didn't read back to the incentive stuff. I just saw your post calling people out for historical numbers. I think 70 rec is feasible, but if we're talking about fantasy value (which has always been my focus here), I'm not very confident that he'll reach 70 or that the rest of the numbers (yards & TDs) will be good enough to merit lineup consideration even IF he does hit the 70 number. If I stumbled into an argument over contract incentives, I'll just slowly back out of the room. If you have an angle you think I'm missing that could lead to Crabtree being a nice WR2 steal at a WR7 price, I'm all ears. The combination of Derek Carr, Bill Musgrave, Jack Del Rio, and James Jones have me pretty damn wary.
I think the chances of him being a fantasy starter are slim to...very slim.

Helping the Raiders? Sure.

If we agree that Rice's OAK has zero in common with 2015, and therefore no bearing on Crabtree's expectations this year, than it sounds like we are on the same page. I wasn't addressing any other angle you may have been addressing in THAT context, just pointing it out in THIS one (the 70 reception incentive).
We are indeed on the same page. My reference was nothing more than a factoid intended as a cautionary hint that soulfly should maybe do a little more research before dropping projections.

We are indeed on the same page. My reference was nothing more than a factoid intended as a cautionary hint that soulfly should maybe do a little more research before dropping projections.
What makes you think I haven't "done research"?

Let me ask you something - what'd ODB do, previous to last season, to make you believe he'd put up 1300/12 as a rookie?

If someone made that projection, would you have laughed in their face? I bet you would have.

I haven't made a single "outlandish" claim in here... I think Crabtree will be a 70-80 catch man this season (provided he doesnt get hurt). That's it. I think he is exactly what Carr needs, and Carr will lean on him quite heavily.

This season in PPR, I think he will be a decent start. not going to win you weeks on his own, but a solid contributor week to week. that's it, that's all.

He doesn't, you know where to find me to tell me Im wrong.

What makes you think I haven't "done research"?

Let me ask you something - what'd ODB do, previous to last season, to make you believe he'd put up 1300/12 as a rookie?

If someone made that projection, would you have laughed in their face? I bet you would have.

I haven't made a single "outlandish" claim in here... I think Crabtree will be a 70-80 catch man this season (provided he doesnt get hurt). That's it. I think he is exactly what Carr needs, and Carr will lean on him quite heavily.

This season in PPR, I think he will be a decent start. not going to win you weeks on his own, but a solid contributor week to week. that's it, that's all.

He doesn't, you know where to find me to tell me Im wrong.
In the threads of the players you own, pumping them?

I don't really like PPR, so your apparent stipulation that he'll only be relevant in PPR isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. However, I stumbled across this article which should give you some hope: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/04/14/raiders-sign-michael-crabtree/

He article states that Crabtree's aDOT was abysmal, but Kaep averaged 9.5 aDOT last year while Carr averaged 8.5 so I'm not sure things are going to get a lot better. The author also calls Oakland a "high volume passing attack" which seems to ignore the fact that the defensive minded Jack Del Rio just took over the HC duties.

I'm not saying it is impossible for Crabtree to provide value this year, especially if his ADP stays the same, but to project 80 receptions shows a lack of research. Backing down to a 70-80 rec projection shows that even you are having second thoughts about your initial number.

After signing Crabtree in free agency and drafting Amari Cooper #4 overall, OAK is reportedly releasing 2014 free agent WR James Jones after just one season.

* Last year, he had an unholy 666 yards (6 TDs).

From a fantasy standpoint with Jones release, that's 112 targets you need to redistribute to the remaining projected starting core of Streater, Cooper, and Crabtree. But don't forget to add back in some targets for rookie TE Clive Walford. Should be interesting projecting some numbers.

Whether they can actually do it is an aside worth discussing separately, but I fully expect the Raiders to incorporate many elements of the Chip Kelly system. They've already said they intend to use a lot more no huddle. Carr at one point mentioned how this new system is a lot more like the spread he ran at Fresno St.

Look for lots of running plays (51%+). Lots of plays in general. Even with a commitment to running, I could see more pass plays than last year if the offense is clicking. And it would be quality passing plays if it is.

Carr to Amari, an improved OL and new scheme could do wonders to open up this offense and create opportunities for #2 and 3 WRs. The key question to me is whether Carr steps up. It's always a team effort but an elite offense generally requires an elite QB.

Rotoworld:

Michael Crabtree is expected to start opposite Amari Cooper.

Cooper is locked and loaded as the No. 1 wideout and a candidate for heavy volume right out of the gate. After that, it'll be Crabtree fighting off the likes of Rod Streater, Andre Holmes and Brice Butler for scraps. Given what we've seen from Crabtree since his 2013 Achilles' tear, there's little reason for optimism. He's barely a WR4 type.

Related: Amari Cooper

Source: ESPN.com
May 7 - 8:36 AM

Rotoworld:

Cooper is locked and loaded as the No. 1 wideout and a candidate for heavy volume right out of the gate. After that, it'll be Crabtree fighting off the likes of Rod Streater, Andre Holmes and Brice Butler for scraps. Given what we've seen from Crabtree since his 2013 Achilles' tear, there's little reason for optimism. He's barely a WR4 type.

I assumed Streater would be starting opposite Cooper. Crabtree looked bad last season. I hope I'm wrong and Crabs is a legit WR2

Rotoworld:

I assumed Streater would be starting opposite Cooper. Crabtree looked bad last season. I hope I'm wrong and Crabs is a legit WR2
Streater was playing the slot last year before he got hurt. I thought with Crabtree lack of speed now he'd be in the slot.

Rotoworld:

Michael Crabtree "had the look of a playmaker" on the first day of training camp.

"He stood out today, made some nice catches," coach Jack Del Rio said. "Mike's a proven player. I don't think we have to worry much about Mike." There's speculation Crabtree isn't a lock to start Week 1, but he's unlikely to be pushed by Rod Streater. Crabtree should be behind only Amari Cooper for targets.

Source: Contra Costa Times
Aug 1 - 3:26 PM

While there's always the chance of him outdoing his ADP because of garbage yards and catches, Crabtree looked done last year.

Rotoworld:

Michael Crabtree - WR - Raiders

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Raiders believe Michael Crabtree "is going to be playing himself into a big contract when the year is over."

Widely overlooked in free agency, Crabtree settled for a one-year, $3 million deal with Oakland; a classic prove-it arrangement. Crabtree will hope his prove-it season goes better than Hakeem Nicks' in Indianapolis last year. By all accounts, Crabtree has been shining in early-camp practices, showing sure hands. Not yet 28 years old, Crabtree certainly won't lack for "motivation" this season.

Source: NFL.com

Aug 3 - 5:59 PM

Rotoworld:

Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree are listed as the starting wideouts on the Raiders' first depth chart.

Andre Holmes and Kenbrell Thompkins are the backups, with an injured Rod Streater listed with the 4s. Crabtree has drawing raves for his early camp practices, but will need to translate it to the preseason field after his dead-legged 2014. Crabtree is still only 28 (in September). Stranger things have happened than a player of his skill rebounding.

Source: raiders.com
Aug 10 - 2:38 PM

Well if he was disinterested in San Francisco while they were in the midst of challenging for world championships, I can't imagine what is going to hold his attention in Oakland.
I hate the guy, like on a deep swede personal nature, but even I can see the incentive that a 26 WR who is fighting to prove himself on a one year deal. He'll have plenty of incentive to outperform that contract.
I'm a Streater guy but I threw out an offer of a 3rd for Crabtree.
offseason I got him for a mid 2nd, and Im more than certain it'll prove to be a very shrewd move on my part / PPR
PPR Monster in OAK....

This is gonna be funny watching you guys backtrack
:wub: :wub: :thumbup: :thumbup:

14/148/1

not bad for a guy who is "done"

9-111-1

He did have 9 and 10 reception games in 2014 (only played the last five games in 2013 due to a ruptured Achilles tendon).

The most receiving yards he has had since 172 in the last regular season game of the 2012 season (year they lost in the Super Bowl).

In the last five games of the 2012 season, Crabtree was 35-538-4 (which would have prorated to 112-1,722-13).

Just turned 28 on 9-14, so far from decrepit for a WR. Could have upside, Cooper will likely/almost certainly draw the top CBs.

Took a quick look and didn't see a lot of recent video on Crabtree, the below is post-injury, an eight reception game against GB in January of 2014, so others can decide for themselves if he looks done or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7HwRyZMri0
Useful for two reasons:

1) Shows he wasn't done even post-ruptured Achilles' tendon.

2) Emblematic of his game and what he does well - star prep running QB broke records in college for his RAC skills.

* He had a five game stretch pre-injury at the end of 2012 that would have prorated to about 112-1700-12 (approx., from memory).

Rotoworld:

Michael Crabtree caught 5-of-6 targets for 80 yards Week 4 against the Bears.

Crabtree missed most of the second quarter after suffering a gruesome-looking ankle injury blocking on a screen pass. He returned in the second half, however, and ended up making several big plays down the stretch. After four games, Crabtree is on pace for 92 catches for 1,056 yards and four touchdowns.

Oct 4 - 6:27 PM

PPR Monster in OAK....

Just so I am clear, if he ends up in somewhere like OAK, Id give an estimation of 80/800/5 on the season.
80 receptions? In Oakland?? There hasn't been an 80 rec WR on the Raiders since Rich Gannon and Jerry Rice teamed up.
scrubs like James Jones (73), Brandon Myers (79) came close recently...

Carr is a good QB and will only get better... Crabtree craps on both the above guys in talent.
Looks like even I may have been "low" on my boy Crabs...

I think his numbers only improve w Cooper being well above expectations and drawing #1 coverage.

On pace for 92/1050/4 ....

PPR Monster in OAK....

Just so I am clear, if he ends up in somewhere like OAK, Id give an estimation of 80/800/5 on the season.
80 receptions? In Oakland?? There hasn't been an 80 rec WR on the Raiders since Rich Gannon and Jerry Rice teamed up.
scrubs like James Jones (73), Brandon Myers (79) came close recently...

Carr is a good QB and will only get better... Crabtree craps on both the above guys in talent.
Looks like even I may have been "low" on my boy Crabs...

I think his numbers only improve w Cooper being well above expectations and drawing #1 coverage.

On pace for 92/1050/4 ....
Hey, I hope you are right about 80+ receptions. I liked what I saw in preseason so I actually grabbed him in several leagues. Back in April I had to throw some cold water on your blind homer optimism. At that time, Derek Carr was coming off an unimpressive rookie season and the offensive philosophy was very unknown. You weren't basing your projections off of anything solid. Just optimism. Homer optimism is like a broken clock. Speaking of which, shouldn't Tre Mason be leading the world in rushing right now according to you?

Back to Crabtree, further reason for optimism is that he missed almost half of week 4 with an ankle injury. Hard to tell if that was affecting him last week, but it'll be good that he's getting rest this week. Even with missing that time, he's on pace for 154 target this year even though Carr is only averaging a very modest 32.4 passing attempts per game. As their chemistry improves, hopefully Crabtree's catch rate improves* and he finds a little better luck in the TD department.

*He's not dropping any passes, but he's only caught 56% of his targets which points to an accuracy problem.

FF Ninja said:
You weren't basing your projections off of anything solid. Just optimism. Homer optimism is like a broken clock.
In fairness, I am not a Raiders fan, I am a Browns fan.

Nor was I an owner of Crabtree until early this past offseason when I traded to acquire him in Dynasty. I wasnt homerism, it was me watching a player, and thinking he is much better than he was showing, in a PISS POOR offense..

I said it multiple times... acquire him because he could be had for peanuts, and he had mentally checked out of SF... and apparently, that was right

Which, well... the Niners definitely are

see: Torrey Smith et al.

eta: As for Tre Mason... How would anyone in the world have known/guess theyd draft Gurley? No one did, not even their most die hard of fans.

FF Ninja said:
You weren't basing your projections off of anything solid. Just optimism. Homer optimism is like a broken clock.
In fairness, I am not a Raiders fan, I am a Browns fan.

Nor was I an owner of Crabtree until early this past offseason when I traded to acquire him in Dynasty. I wasnt homerism, it was me watching a player, and thinking he is much better than he was showing, in a PISS POOR offense..

I said it multiple times... acquire him because he could be had for peanuts, and he had mentally checked out of SF... and apparently, that was right

Which, well... the Niners definitely are

see: Torrey Smith et al.

eta: As for Tre Mason... How would anyone in the world have known/guess theyd draft Gurley? No one did, not even their most die hard of fans.
By homer, I just meant that you owned him, not that you were a fan of the actual team he played on.

I agree that the niners are terrible, but in the offseason there was no data pointing to the Oakland offense being much better. That changed during the preseason. As it stands now, you got yourself a nice buy low. It'll be interesting to see where Crabtree goes next year as a free agent. He sure seems like he has a legitimate chance to be a WR2 in all formats this year.

I owned him by going out an actively acquiring him this offseason based on my "assumptions"

Anyways... Hope it continues. Think he's happy as a 2 behind Cooper. Helps him shine. Think OAK may lock him up

Raiders OC Bill Musgrave wants to increase Michael Crabtree’s role.
"He’s been terrific. We just want to keep building his role in the offense," Musgrave said. Crabtree leads Oakland in targets (46) and has more catches than Amari Cooper. He’s been Derek Carr’s top option on third downs and in the second half of games. With Latavius Murray struggling, the Raiders are a good bet to remain pass-heavy going forward. Crabtree is PFF’s No. 7 receiver through five weeks.

:coffee:

Guessing Cooper is on Revis Island this week? Where does that leave expectations for Crabtree?

Seems like WR2s (or at least non WR1s) have put up decent #s this year vs. the Jets - Moncrief, Stills, Amendola

Guessing Cooper is on Revis Island this week? Where does that leave expectations for Crabtree?

Seems like WR2s (or at least non WR1s) have put up decent #s this year vs. the Jets - Moncrief, Stills, Amendola
Let's hope you are correct.

If that's the case, then Crabtree could be in for a big week. Would be nice if he'd capitalize on a red zone target. He's 0-for-5 so far this year.

Users who are viewing this thread