What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (5 Viewers)

Did not realize that the Tribe did the same thing to the Royals this season.  14-4 vs Detroit, 14-5 vs the Royals. No wonder why they ran away with the division. Then it is hard to believe  they were only 10-9 vs the Twins.
The Tribe basically beat the teams they needed to beat.

Watching these games I don`t think the Tigers could close out any team from the 6th to 9th. 

Also would Ausmus deviate from the one inning role like Francona did tonight? I don`t think so.  Francona knew with his ace Kluber going the next game tonight was a huge win.

Also would Ausmus deviate from the one inning role like Francona did tonight? I don`t think so.  
Definitely not.  He's too much of a "by the book" guy.  The fact that he pulled Sanchez in game 2 against Baltimore in the 2014 ALDS when he was rolling still pisses me off.  Gotta watch that pitch count you know...

Yes, Ausmus (and even Buck) won't change from the script the way Francona will.

Just remember that Caddyshack minus the adlib script changes would have been much less of a movie.

List of UFAs.  Who looks realistic?   Tigers will pick up Maybins option, Salty is probably gone. Sanchez makes too much so they will give him one more shot..Should eat the last year of Palfrey's deal and move on.

Rayburn, Davis and Austin Jackson..bring the band back? Grili, Benoit, Fister, Joba, Edwin Jackson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brad also wouldn't have had the balls to put his ace out for the final two outs after he just pitched two days ago like the Dodgers did.  I love postseason baseball and seeing the managers go all out for a win so the team can survive.  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Brad also wouldn't have had the balls to put his ace out for the final two outs after he just pitched two days ago like the Dodgers did.  I love postseason baseball and seeing the managers go all out for a win so the team can survive.  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.
But on the positive side, all of Brad's arms are nice and rested for their off season golf swings.

Said it once and I'll be crying for it all offseason. Sign Nelson Cruz and Andrew Miller.

After that I think retain VMart, let Torri and Rajai go. Go find a legit CF and another reliever. I think they should keep Joba, Soria, Jim Johnson and give Hanrahan another shot despite this postseason. I know that sounds crazy but I think at this point it's time to throw #### at the wall and see what sticks. If they do target Miller, I'll be looking forward to never seeing Phil Coke again.
This guy here isn't so stupid.

Somewhat true, but I will disagree.  I do give Brad a lot of credit for going to the rookies and not limiting their innings (although the suckiness of the other starters did not leave many options).  He is a bit too rigid on how he handles his bullpen.  But I understand it is nice to have an established formula for how you use your bullpen so you are not always second-guessing what to do.  I think overall, Brad was slightly a net positive to this team.  

Just a couple of games could have turned this season into a success though.  Terrible base running and not so great outfield defense was the weakness of this club which cost us many of games.  Standing put with this team worries me.  For better or worse, positional players are pretty set and it will be hard to do much there.  But we do need to make moves in the bullpen and another solid arm for the starting rotation.  

Somewhat true, but I will disagree.  I do give Brad a lot of credit for going to the rookies and not limiting their innings (although the suckiness of the other starters did not leave many options).  He is a bit too rigid on how he handles his bullpen.  But I understand it is nice to have an established formula for how you use your bullpen so you are not always second-guessing what to do.  I think overall, Brad was slightly a net positive to this team.  

Just a couple of games could have turned this season into a success though.  Terrible base running and not so great outfield defense was the weakness of this club which cost us many of games.  Standing put with this team worries me.  For better or worse, positional players are pretty set and it will be hard to do much there.  But we do need to make moves in the bullpen and another solid arm for the starting rotation.  
Right this is exactly why Brad wouldn't have had the balls to throw his ace out there.  The rigid formula is fine for the regular season but as you can see in the playoffs sometimes you need to go with your best guy in the moment - which in our limited playoff data with Brad is something he doesn't do - i.e. pulling Sanchez in the 2014 ALDS.  Maybe he learns. We can only hope since he's back for at least one more year...

Good stuff from Avila today. :popcorn:  
With the young arms and potential talent of Jacoby Jones, what would be the point of selling anyone off? He is hamstrung and it will mostly be from Sanchez, Pelfey and Upton. All this team needed is one more consistent arm and play .500 ball against Cleveland and KC. The idea of breaking everything apart is ludicrous. I understand everyone wants to be the Cubs but there is a solid foundation and a lot of high end young potential already here. The only person they may lose that they shouldn't have put themselves in a position to lose in the upcoming seasons is JD.

If Upton played the whole season like he did the last 2 months he would be well worth it.

The way it sounded yesterday is Maybin and K-Rod won`t be back. Sad because Pelfrey makes about the same as Maybin and he will be here. Avila talking about a possible Gose-Jones platoon in center?

Don`t they say this every year though?  Then Mike steps in at the last minute and says screw it sign some players

Anything that involves Gose as a solution is not really viable.  No way the Tigers want to rely on him even in a platoon.  K-Rod they have somewhat viable solutions, but for his price tag, I would roll wirh him one more year.  We still have deficiencies in the bullpen and you can easily spend $4 million trying to replace him.  

It would be stupid to trade Miggy or JV and not try to sign JD long term.  Not only from a competitiveness standpoint but their attendance will go down the toilet.   If they want to dump some salary look at moving Kinsler and V-Mart.  They could get something decent back for them, dump some salary that way, and still be viable playoff contenders.  

That Zimmermann contact is going to end up being an albatross just like the Sanchez contract is now.  

I'd be shocked if anyone gives up anything of value for V Mart. If he's moved I'd bet on needing to eat some of the contract. 

It would be stupid to trade Miggy or JV and not try to sign JD long term.  Not only from a competitiveness standpoint but their attendance will go down the toilet.   If they want to dump some salary look at moving Kinsler and V-Mart.  They could get something decent back for them, dump some salary that way, and still be viable playoff contenders.  

That Zimmermann contact is going to end up being an albatross just like the Sanchez contract is now.  
Kinsler is an All-Star caliber second baseman that has a very good contract as he makes 11 million next season. Realize that Pelfrey will make 8, Sanchez 16, JZ and JUP 20, Kinsler is a steal.

I'd be shocked if anyone gives up anything of value for V Mart. If he's moved I'd bet on needing to eat some of the contract. 
Probably have to eat half of it, if that is the case just keep him. Hard to believe but the Tigers would probably have to eat some of Cabrera's contract if teams were interested.

Pelfrey. Sanchez and JZ are not tradable due to the contracts.

Kinsler is an All-Star caliber second baseman that has a very good contract as he makes 11 million next season. Realize that Pelfrey will make 8, Sanchez 16, JZ and JUP 20, Kinsler is a steal.
That's what would make him so attractive to other teams. JV and Miggy are the faces of the franchise and they're both coming off great seasons. Even if it is their high point in value I would have a hard time getting behind moving either one. Kinsler though? He's great. Affordable too. I'm sure moving him would hurt in 2017, but if the return helps enough in 2018 and beyond then I'd get behind it. 

full story on new & old coaches:

The Tigers named Lloyd McClendon as the team's new hitting coach and Leon "Bull" Durham as assistant hitting coach Friday.

McClendon replaces Wally Joyner, who opted not to return after three seasons in the position.

McClendon served as manager of the Tigers' Triple A affiliate Toledo Mud Hens last season, guiding the team to a 68-76 record.

This is his second term with the organization, having previously worked as a coach under manager Jim Leyland from 2006-13. He was manager of the Seattle Mariners from 2014-15 and the Pittsburgh Pirates from 2001-05.

Durham served as hitting coach at Toledo in 2016. He's been a coach in the Tigers' organization for nearly 17 years. Durham replaces David Newhan, who was not retained.

McClendon and Durham are the only new additions to the Tigers' coaching staff.

Gene Lamont (bench coach), Rich Dubee (pitching coach), Mike Billmeyer (bullpen coach), Dave Clark (third base coach, outfielders), Omar Vizquel (first base coach, infielders, base running) and Matt Martin (defensive coordinator) will all be back

Who is Jeff Moss?  My buddy just sent me this.

Why Was Fister Traded Back in December of 2013?

This is a multi-pronged answer and actually far more complicated than we all originally thought. There really were four contributing factors:

1] The Tigers were desirous of getting Drew Smyly into the rotation and the starting staff was logjammed with existing commitments to Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer, Rick Porcello and Anibal Sanchez. Someone had to go from their perspective. We all knew that.

2] What I — and others like Tony Paul of the Detroit News — had originally reported was this was a salary dump. Fister was due to make $7.2 million in 2014 and Dombrowski was on the verge of signing Nathan to his regrettable deal which was going to cost the Tigers $9 million in ’14.

At the time, Mike Ilitch was ill and out of commission so his son Chris Ilitch was making the team’s budgetary decisions.  Chris told Dave that if he wanted to sign the former Twins closer, he had to slash payroll elsewhere.

And while this was a factual account, there were way more components to the decision than just fiduciary ones.

3] Now we get to the stuff we really didn’t know. And it’s salacious. There was a personality conflict between Fister and Verlander. It was so extreme that sources have told me that Fister went to Dombrowski to complain to the General Manager that Verlander was damaging team chemistry and morale.

It is my belief that this “team chemistry” issue manifested itself when Fister (and other players) became upset that Verlander used his clout to get Director of Team Travel Tyson Steele transferred from working with the Tigers to a new gig at Little Caesars.

As I wrote on May 5th of this year, Steele ended up marrying Verlander’s longtime girlfriend Emily Yeun after the Cy Young winner unceremoniously dumped her for Kate Upton. 

Steele was a very popular figure in the Tigers clubhouse with many of the players giving Steele huge tips for assisting them with their accommodations and some players (it appears Fister was one of them) were incredulous that JV would get Steele transferred when he had done nothing wrong.

Verlander had moved on to a supermodel/actress and Steele became Yeun’s shoulder to cry on. From what I have been told, one thing led to another, they began dating and are now married. Steele had done nothing nefarious and Verlander’s alleged spiteful behavior rubbed some players the wrong way.

Of course, Verlander wasn’t going anywhere back in 2013 so Fister became an easy salary to dump.

4] Here is where it gets a little strange. So Fister was upset with JV for the Steele incident? Well, the Tigers organization was not exactly thrilled with Fister, either. There were rampant rumors that Fister was bedding a daughter of one of the Tiger coaches.

I have no way to verify the veracity of that rumor so I won’t mention the aggrieved coach’s name, but this was the scuttlebutt down at the offices on Montcalm Street.

So, you want to know why Fister wasn’t an option last offseason and they signed Pelfrey to a $16-million deal when they could have had Fister for $7 million?

The answer is sex.

Insert your own asinine “Fister, I didn’t even know her” joke here.

Did Dave Dombrowski Do His Due Diligence?

This is the part of the story I had dead wrong. If you remember, when I busted into that Nathan presser, I asked Dombrowski if he had done his “due diligence” prior to trading Fister away for three players who would not help them in 2014.

It seemed like the deal was rushed so DD would have the financial flexibility to sign Nathan. This seemed especially true when unnamed baseball execs stated they didn’t know Fister was on the market and they wished they would have had a chance to make a pitch to DD.

As you may recall, Dombrowski vehemently denied my assertion that he wasn’t thorough and pulled a white piece of paper out of his sports coat that supposedly listed the starting pitching prospects that Dombrowski had been targeting.

This is an excerpt from my article that day in 2013 regarding that infamous press conference ….

I sure as hell didn’t expect him to pull a white piece of paper with names of pitching prospects on it from his pocket and tell me that he wasn’t going to show the list to ME, but instead would let JOE NATHAN take a gander as a means to substantiate his claim that he had done his due diligence.

And here is that picture of Nathan looking at the names ….

http://detroitsportsrag.net/and-now-the-rest-of-the-doug-fister-story/120413-joe-nathan-600-3/

I still can’t believe that occurred.

Anyway, Dombrowski wasn’t lying. Even though nobody in the world had Robbie Ray listed as an elite prospect, the Tigers had a scout who was enamored with the southpaw. And that scout convinced Dombrowski that Ray should be the centerpiece of any deal with Washington involving Fister.

Two weeks before the trade was consummated, this scout was telling close friends that Robbie Ray was the ####.

Whether you liked the deal or did not, Dombrowski was not caught with his pants down due to a last-minute edict from Chris Ilitch regarding the budget.

The Tigers wanted Robbie Ray badly and they got him.

Was The Scout Right About Robbie Ray?

This is the part that really makes no sense at all. Tigers fans had one major complaint about the Fister trade and it wasn’t that Doug got dealt.

It made perfect sense to swap one of the team’s starters to fix other issues the organization had back in the winter of 2013. The rub was ALWAYS the return.

For a starting pitcher coming off a 4.1 bWAR in 2013, Dombrowski received Italian Don Kelly, a nondescript situational lefty reliever prospect and a starter with some upside. None of those three were projected to help the Tigers in 2014 — a team that won the AL Central — and none of them did.

The biggest remaining mystery to me at this point is if Dombrowski and the scout were so in love with Ray, why did they bail on him after one season and trade him to Arizona for Shane Greene?

Because at the end of this long, winding road, that scout was right. Robbie Ray was a top-shelf prospect who most likely will develop into a very good starting pitcher.

Now, if you are a lunkhead dummy who doesn’t believe in sabermetrics, you might think I was crazy for making that assertion. After all, Ray went 8-15 in 2016 with an ERA of 4.90 and a WHIP of 1.468 for the D-Backs.

But if you delve deeper in Ray’s statistics, you can see the ONE good transaction former Diamondbacks GM Dave Stewart made while in Phoenix was to acquire Ray on the cheap.

Ray had a K/9 of 11.25 last season!!!

11.25!!!!

If you aren’t familiar with K/9, that would rank as Verlander’s second best ever in his career. And Max Scherzer has NEVER had a higher strikeout per nine innings rate.

Ray’s FIP in 2016 was 3.76 and his xFIP was 3.45 which is why he earned a very respectable fWAR of 3.0 this past year.

Robbie Ray is going to be really good and that will be the final chapter in this sordid mess.

Tigers fans got screwed from every angle on this deal. From trading Fister for no immediate assistance back in December of 2013 to giving up on Ray too soon.

But now that you know the rest of the story, we weren’t the only ones getting ####ed.

(You can follow the writer of this piece on Twitter @JeffMossDSR.

Tigers apparently tried to deal JUP during the season, which says a lot about what the leadership was thinking in July.  Not sure if they deal JD in the off-season but I think it's a real possibility because it's hard to see him signing an extension now, just like with Scherzer they waited too long to lock him in.  I think they should let it play out, at worst you're getting a first round pick out of him in 2018 and he might be their best overall player. 

Team doesn't need much in the offseason, they have to figure out what they are gonna do in CF but a $9 million team option seems reasonable enough.  I wish Maybin was better in the field though.  Obviously bullpen needs to be addressed yet again, but it sure would be nice to have guys in the system already fill those roles. 

The correlation between JV's bad years and his association with KUP was very obvious and noticeable and the above makes sense.  Glad all that drama seems to be in the past now.   

Doctor Detroit said:
Tigers apparently tried to deal JUP during the season, which says a lot about what the leadership was thinking in July.  Not sure if they deal JD in the off-season but I think it's a real possibility because it's hard to see him signing an extension now, just like with Scherzer they waited too long to lock him in.  I think they should let it play out, at worst you're getting a first round pick out of him in 2018 and he might be their best overall player. 

Team doesn't need much in the offseason, they have to figure out what they are gonna do in CF but a $9 million team option seems reasonable enough.  I wish Maybin was better in the field though.  Obviously bullpen needs to be addressed yet again, but it sure would be nice to have guys in the system already fill those roles. 
Unless he is willing to take a pay cut to go to another team and he might if the team is blowing things up.... I think JUP is here for the next 5 seasons unless he plays all next season as he did the last 2 months. I doubt a 240-250 25-75 line will get him a raise over what he is making now.

DD I have warmed up to Maybin and he was exactly what the Tigers needed up on top of the lineup and he played through many nagging hand injuries that impact hitting.  I thought he was going to be a little better in CF as well.  In the past a 9 million option pickup would be peanuts and automatic if the Tigers thought he was a key piece.  This year though I don`t think that will happen.

As with most long deals the Sanchez contract has worn out its welcome, Pelfrey will be given another chance as they are not going to pay him 8 million to walk. AA said there are no untouchables. Is this the time to try and move Miggy and Verlander?  One year too early instead of one year too late? There is going to be a fine line with those two.  Is Miggys body the type that will hold up and produce like Big Papi the last few years of his deal when he is 37-40?

Unless he is willing to take a pay cut to go to another team and he might if the team is blowing things up.... I think JUP is here for the next 5 seasons unless he plays all next season as he did the last 2 months. I doubt a 240-250 25-75 line will get him a raise over what he is making now.

DD I have warmed up to Maybin and he was exactly what the Tigers needed up on top of the lineup and he played through many nagging hand injuries that impact hitting.  I thought he was going to be a little better in CF as well.  In the past a 9 million option pickup would be peanuts and automatic if the Tigers thought he was a key piece.  This year though I don`t think that will happen.

As with most long deals the Sanchez contract has worn out its welcome, Pelfrey will be given another chance as they are not going to pay him 8 million to walk. AA said there are no untouchables. Is this the time to try and move Miggy and Verlander?  One year too early instead of one year too late? There is going to be a fine line with those two.  Is Miggys body the type that will hold up and produce like Big Papi the last few years of his deal when he is 37-40?
As long as those guys play they fill the seats, and both are HOF guys that you want to keep. 

Sanchez is a tough situation but there have been stranger stories of guys rebounding to their prior excellence, and since they have to pay him, we have to hope for this.  Pelfrey could be cut probably if they aren't going to start him (and there is no reason to think they will), but maybe he can add bullpen depth.  Or not, he does stink. 

I think they exercise Maybin's option and work with him on his fielding in the off-season.  Still would like to add a CF who plays good CF, but Tigers do have some outfielders coming soon in Stewart and Gerber.  The former is a MLB legit hitter who is gonna have to play LF or DH, the latter can play CF but his bat might not be a every day starter.  I would think Gerber has a good chance to make the team next year and Stewart will be called up later, and he can at least be a platoon guy because he can ####### hit. 

Bullpen, bullpen, bullpen.  Whatever it takes, make that at least an average unit and this team has a shot to be pretty good. 

Looks like the Tigers traded Maybin to the Angels.  Sounds like it's going to be a very active offseason.  

More:

General manager Al Avila promised to lower the Detroit Tigers’ payroll this offseason, and he got off to a quick start on Thursday, trading Cameron Maybin to the Los Angeles Angels according to Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal and MLB.com’s Jason Beck. The Angels will pick up Maybin’s $9 million contract option for the 2017 season. In return, the Tigers will receive right-handed pitcher Victor Alcantara, who was ranked the No. 8 prospect in the Angels’ system in 2016.

Maybin, who was originally drafted by the Tigers in the first round of the 2004 amateur draft, had a resurgent 2016 season in Detroit. Acquired from the Atlanta Braves via trade in November 2015, Maybin hit .315/.383/.418 with 23 extra base hits and 15 stolen bases in 391 plate appearances. He was a catalyst for the Tigers’ offense hitting in front of Miguel Cabrera, scoring 65 runs in just 91 games played. Maybin was worth 1.9 rWAR, a total that would have been higher had he not graded out negatively as a defender.

Unfortunately, Maybin’s worst enemy throughout his career has been his own body, and he was once again bothered by a plethora of nagging injuries in 2016. He missed a month of action at the start of the season after breaking his left hand in spring training, and spent a number of games on the bench during the season for hand, wrist, and shoulder injuries.

While Alcantara is ranked highly in the Angels’ organization, they possess arguably the shallowest farm system in baseball. Alcantara is a 23-year-old righthander who pitched 111 innings at Double-A Arkansas last season. He posted a 4.30 ERA and 1.47 WHIP in 29 appearances, and struck out 79 batters to 57 walks.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2016/11/3/13514762/mlb-trade-cameron-maybin-detroit-tigers-los-angeles-angels

I don't know anything about Alcantara but if this a sign toward rebuilding I won't be happy. I'll feel very jaded if Miggy or JV is any part of this process.

Looks like the Tigers traded Maybin to the Angels.  Sounds like it's going to be a very active offseason.  
Interesting 

i like Maybin, but as I said, he's not good in CF which is a big issue.  No idea who Alcantara is, need to look that dude up. 

Interesting 

i like Maybin, but as I said, he's not good in CF which is a big issue.  No idea who Alcantara is, need to look that dude up. 
Doesn't sound like an impressive prospect. Money dump on a guy they probably didn't want to pick the option up on. Throwing #### at the wall for the bullpen which I'm okay with. I'm not ok with a full blow up. 

I'd be ok with Upton gone if it means JD stays. I'm also ok if VMart's time has come so Miggy can start moonlighting as DH.

Here is a prospect report on Alcantara.

Looks like he's been a starter most of the time but in relief he's been very good and he has high-end reliever stuff.  Maybin wasn't really a logical fit, I wouldn't call it a salary dump but the team moving on.  I think ideally the Tigers want to be superior up the middle defensively like the Royals, Indians, and Cubs and Maybin doesn't fit into that idea.  You have three gold glove nominees in McCann, Iglesias, and Kinsler so Maybin's negative defensive metics don't fit. 

Dexter Fowler has to be a target as he's an ideal fit as a lead-off hitter and at least average in CF.  Austin Jackson is a possibility also, as is Rajai Davis both in waht would probably be platoon roles with say Mike Gerber.  Jon Jay and Carlos Gomez are other options, but it seems like the team would have to trade for an ideal CFer or hope Gerber is ready to be an everyday CFer.  I love Gerber but they promoted him slow which worries me some, but I think he's at least going to be a guy with a real shot at making the big club out of spring training. 

Too bad our best prospect (Stewart) is a complete mess in the field, he's a LF for life and more like a DH.  That dude can hit though, so we can overlook his fat-fingered fielding tendencies for now. 

Agree with BoJang on Miggy, more for the comfort of having him less susceptible to injury.  I think the Tigers are likely to get the value of his contract simply because I don't see him aging badly as a DH, he just can hit better than almost anyone that has ever played the game.  Two more years of VMART and then Miggy goes to DH 100+ games a year.  But for now that rotation is the best we coud hope for, and the Tigers don't have a great 1B prospect of any kind in the system.  Maybe Big Nick moving over there eventually?  Maybe Stewart moves to 1B?  They are gonna have to find room for that bat as soon as this year, so.....

Doesn't sound like an impressive prospect. Money dump on a guy they probably didn't want to pick the option up on. Throwing #### at the wall for the bullpen which I'm okay with. I'm not ok with a full blow up. 

I'd be ok with Upton gone if it means JD stays. I'm also ok if VMart's time has come so Miggy can start moonlighting as DH.
Doubtful Upton is going anywhere this off-season.  Hard to see  any team taking on that contract when there was not much interest last season.

Doubtful Upton is going anywhere this off-season.  Hard to see  any team taking on that contract when there was not much interest last season.
Tigers desperately need Upton to have a good year so he will opt out and we can escape the contract.  That would be a win-win - he gets us production in 2017 and then we can get out from under his contract.  Stewart should be ready to go in LF for 2018.  I don't think Gerber will be ready to play CF next season.  He may be a plug and play guy, at most, in 2017.  If Avila is counting on Gerber for more of a role than that, that's a problem. I suspect he has other plans for the OF next year though.  I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  I get worried about whether this salary dump trade from yesterday is a sign of more of the same this offseason.  I hope there is not too much of a "remodel" because the team was on the cusp of making the playoffs this season and has a combination of young and older talent to build around. 

Tigers desperately need Upton to have a good year so he will opt out and we can escape the contract.  
It's going to have to be one hell of a year to leave 88 and a half million on the table. I feel like that is a contract that gets played out. Then at 33, he gets a nice twilight contract.

Rumor from the Rag..Tigers working on trading Kinsler to Dodgers for Trace Thompson and Alex Wood.

Hope this is not true.  This is a long off-season and Avila need to work as many teams as he can in search of a deal that works.  Kinsler is an All-Star who would be a great fit on a contender and should command a nice return.

Makes sense to deal Kinsler coming off a productive year while he still has two below-market years on his contract. 

The rumored package from LA doesn't impress me at all.  Wood has had injury problems and I have doubts about Trayce Thompson being anything more than a 4th OF.  The most intriguing name is Mitchell White who pitched 22 sensational innings in the low minors in his professional debut.

Users who are viewing this thread