What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (7 Viewers)

I think Rondon may be hurt. He's been hesistent to use his fastball and when he has it's been a shadow of what it should be. Sort of upsetting that they are paying Avila like a starter and you brought up all those RP's that are making under 3 mil.

I think Rondon may be hurt. He's been hesistent to use his fastball and when he has it's been a shadow of what it should be. Sort of upsetting that they are paying Avila like a starter and you brought up all those RP's that are making under 3 mil.
Avila got $2MM, that's standard backup money (see Butera, Hundley, Suzuki).

All they really needed was one quality vet arm.  I can see not wanting to pay Tazawa $6MM but based on the past few years that seems like a logical investment. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Two vomit worthy performances by the bullpen so far.  So few arms that garner any trust.  Jimenez needs to come up sooner rather than later.  Maybe try Sanchez in a 7thinning role.  Too soon to panic, but damn Rondon, Greene and Ryan....  :X   

Two vomit worthy performances by the bullpen so far.  So few arms that garner any trust.  Jimenez needs to come up sooner rather than later.  Maybe try Sanchez in a 7thinning role.  Too soon to panic, but damn Rondon, Greene and Ryan....  :X   
Saw a report that Rondon is on his way down and Jimenez is on his way up.

They talked about just wanting the 25 best players to start the season, but Jones only got there because of JD's injury and Jimenez is now just getting there.  They should have taken their own advice from the beginning.   I know there are strategic roster reasoning for their thinking, but as we as seeing all 25 players are key especially in tight games.  

Verlander has not been this dominant since his MVP season.  A long long season to go.  Really should have swept one of the best teams in baseball.  

Verlander has not been this dominant since his MVP season.  A long long season to go.  Really should have swept one of the best teams in baseball.  
Yeah only thing though is half their lineup was on the shelf.  Bogaerts and Hanley didn't play, and Betts and Bradley each missed two games. 

I picked up Jimenez but I also have Francisco Rodriguez. Is his job fairly safe? They don't envision Jimenez closing this year, right?

I picked up Jimenez but I also have Francisco Rodriguez. Is his job fairly safe? They don't envision Jimenez closing this year, right?
If the season goes south then K Rod could get traded and Jimenez gets a couple months to see if he's the guy for next year.

I think K Rod's leash is very long though.  

Ya, Brad tends to be overly loyal and overly trusting of vets. Even if Jimenez is unhittable I still imagine him only being a setup/high leverage guy unless KRod really goes of the cliff. I think that is doubtful too since he has masterful control of already subpar velocity.

Two starters are now tied for the active start streak with 3 runs or less allowed (20 starts): JV and.... Daniel Norris.

The starting rotation is looking wicked good, probably too good to maintain.  Currently you look forward with optimism to each start by all 5 starters.  Compare that to last season where you would absolutely dread every start by the likes of Greene, Sanchez and Pelfrey and they never disappointed.  

The bottom of the order continues to provide key offense on a team that was suppose to be top heavy.  If McCann can continue and provide about 30 HR's from the seventh spot that will be huge.  His concentration on hitting has paid off and is looking like an All-stud.  

Thing can unravel quickly, but damn this team looks really good and the middle of the order hasn't really hit yet and JD should return in a few weeks.  Picking up a couple of good relief arms should be doable.  Hopefully Jimenez fills one of those.  Except for the heart-failure inducing bullpen, this team is fun to watch. 

I saw K-Rod hit 88. Its not pretty but until he is getting destroyed let him roll... Big series against the Indians this weekend. One I think they need to win to make a statement that this year is not last year.

Interesting matchups Friday and Saturday.  I'd even be ok only taking 1 as long as each game is competitive.  I don't think Sunday is a long shot, but I am also happy I won't be anywhere near a tv while it's on.

I saw K-Rod hit 88. Its not pretty but until he is getting destroyed let him roll... Big series against the Indians this weekend. One I think they need to win to make a statement that this year is not last year.
I must have missed the 88 one..was used to seeing the 82 change. I know he is getting it done but watching him and seeing the hitters reaction it looks like he has nothing.

The Tigers really have a soft stretch in their schedule for the next month.  If they can bank some wins now and continue to get out of the gate strong, they should be able to set themselves up good for the remainder of the season - especially since they will (hopefully) be getting JD back by June.  After this Minn series, the next month is:

@CLE

@ TB

@MINN

SEA

CHI

CLE

@OAK

@ARI

@LAA

Now granted they typically struggle on west coast swings, but they have a lot of winnable series over the next month that they can capitalize on. 

If the bullpen continues to struggle, I would like to see Brad (won't happen but I can wish I guess) to try to do more of a "hot hand" approach.  By that, I mean if a guy has an easy 7th and only throws 12 pitches, bring him back to start the 8th.  The backend of the bullpen is so erratic, if someone is throwing and locating well, keep them in and ride that guy instead of going to the next guy and flipping a coin on whether he has his stuff or not for the game. 

Watching the Tigers bullpen is like watching a Lions game - always waiting for the other shoe to drop and, even when they get the job done, it's never the easy way.

Watching the Tigers bullpen is like watching a Lions game - always waiting for the other shoe to drop and, even when they get the job done, it's never the easy way.
This part's true, but I think the bullpen sucks talk is all hyperbole to this point.  Rondon was awful and needed to be sent down.  There are reasons to be concerned about K Rod, but I think he's earned trust until he actually shows he can't be anymore.  The rest?  It's week 2.  Give it some time to see if it is a tire fire or just rust being kicked off.

Doctor Detroit said:
Well they piss tested him right after the game. 

Guy is just awesome, :wub:  him 
They should haves tested the bat for cork while they were at it.  

Surprised Ausmus let Fulmer throw 116 pitches.  7th QS in 8 games as well as a Tiger record of hitting at least one home run in first eight games.  Bottom of order continues to provide the key offense.  JD taking batting practice.  Tigers are gonna have a hard time finding enough playing time for Collins, Romine and Jacoby when JD does come back.    Will be interesting if they send Mahtook or Jones down.  Mahtook is probably the weakest link of positional players.  

I don't think Fulmer is the next Verlander or anything, but he's got a lot of hard bark.  He was completely done in the 4th today and retired the last 10 Twins, guy is a workhorse and a gamer.  :thumbup:

I don't think Fulmer is the next Verlander or anything, but he's got a lot of hard bark.  He was completely done in the 4th today and retired the last 10 Twins, guy is a workhorse and a gamer.  :thumbup:
Romines slam has to put a little gas in his tank as well. I do think Fulmer would pitch the same throwing a no hitter or getting shelled..shows no emotion just does his job.

One guy I would love to have back is Robbie Ray..was watching the Arizona game when he pitched and he was hitting 96 with a wicked curve. Still a little wild but his stuff was electric.

They should haves tested the bat for cork while they were at it.  

Surprised Ausmus let Fulmer throw 116 pitches.  7th QS in 8 games as well as a Tiger record of hitting at least one home run in first eight games.  Bottom of order continues to provide the key offense.  JD taking batting practice.  Tigers are gonna have a hard time finding enough playing time for Collins, Romine and Jacoby when JD does come back.    Will be interesting if they send Mahtook or Jones down.  Mahtook is probably the weakest link of positional players.  
Granted I was multi-tasking between watching (on mute) and work, but his innings seemed low stress after the 3rd.  Was someone warming up in the 6th?  I got the sense Polanco was going to be his last batter regardless.

I think playing time issues often take care of themselves.  Someone else will get injured or start sucking.  I just hope they're not rushing JD back.

by RotoWire Staff | Special to CBSSports.com
(1 hr ago) Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said Cabrera will get his first rest day of the season soon, Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press reports.

Cabrera is in Thursday's lineup against Twins starter Phil Hughes, who he's hitting .432/.457/1.000 against in his career with six home runs. However, look for the slugger to likely get a day off during the upcoming weekend series in Cleveland.

I heard a fact on morning local radio show...Miggy has swung and missed on 40% of fast balls he's faced. The league average is 18%. Makes me wonder if the Loney move and/or Miggy listens to local radio stations and received some "inspiration". Ha - regardless glad to see the homer!!!

Zimmerman can't walk guys if he wants to be effective, that's just not who he is.  He pitches to contact and doesn't strike out a lot of batters, 2BB/9 is what we need from him.  If he's 4BB/9, he's ####ed. 

Users who are viewing this thread