What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (3 Viewers)

Speaking of Hicks, the bench + Toledo depth has been the least of their problems this year. Now if only the guys getting the big bucks could max out their abilities this team could still have some hope.

I think Jim Adduci's production is real. 

Hicks has always hit in the minors but since he doesn't walk much, his value is probably that of a bench player.  That said, these guys are giving the team some depth when they most need it.  Dixon Machado stinks though, especially in the field. 

Hey, a man can dream right. JD was once upon a time supposed to be wash up. He did have some sort of pedigree to him though.

Ausmus has caught JZimm his past couple bullpen sessions. Today, for the first time this year, his slider was good. That's important because that's his best pitch when right. 

Ausmus has caught JZimm his past couple bullpen sessions. Today, for the first time this year, his slider was good. That's important because that's his best pitch when right. 
Baseball is an odd game at times. Hard hit balls that are turned into DPs..dinkers and flares that are turned into RBIs.

JZ could have easily been knocked out of the game early..a could of nice DPs and the tide changes.  That is why I love watching it.

Baseball is an odd game at times. Hard hit balls that are turned into DPs..dinkers and flares that are turned into RBIs.

JZ could have easily been knocked out of the game early..a could of nice DPs and the tide changes.  That is why I love watching it.
Tiger fans are smart in general, smarter than most baseball fans.  But they are also inherently negative and extremely unrealistic.  The nuance of baseball and the fact the 2013 Red Sox or the 2015 Royals won the World Series escapes them, this is not like the NBA. 

I think the low point in in fandom was driving down to the airport to go back to Germany after the 2006 World Series.  That team had no business in the World Series, but probably were the better team.  Still, after the Tigers had over a decade of some of the most inept baseball anyone has ever seen, people were calling into sports talk radio saying they were an "embarrassment to the city."  #### all those people, they disgust me.  That's the worst sports fan ever. 

Just like people wanting to blow up this team thinking it will have benefits in two years, it won't.  Baseball doesn't work that way.  Enjoy the team now and hope your team is in the playoff hunt in September.  You blow it up now you might go a decade without having a chance again, I really think people forgot this was the worst franchise in sports for about a decade. 

They have three premium arms, JZIMM who can absolutely be solid, and a lineup that should be top five in baseball.  Bullpen is gross but maybe Jimenez and Rondon can rescue it, stranger things have happened.  This team absolutely has a shot at making the playoffs.  The Indians are the only team in the division that are better, and I think there are four teams in the AL I think are better.  But the Royals won the ####### World Series two years ago with less, calm down and enjoy the season.  This is not a terrible team, not at all. 

Does anyone have a real problem with anything Ausmus does?

I was skeptical two years ago but he's a great baseball man, and I think he understands the nuances of the game.  I think he knows advanced stats, how to employ situational management, and he handles the bullpen about as well as he can.  I like him, and if we fire him, I think he gets another job very quick.  :shrug:  

I was skeptical two years ago but he's a great baseball man, and I think he understands the nuances of the game.  I think he knows advanced stats, how to employ situational management, and he handles the bullpen about as well as he can.  I like him, and if we fire him, I think he gets another job very quick.  :shrug:  
I think the reason I disliked Ausmus at the start was because of Leyland.  Win or lose I used to love Cranky Old Jim`s pressers after the game as they were so entertaining.  Then Ausmus came in bland as oatmeal.   Took me awhile to just get away from the Leyland shtick and just listen to Aumus.  now I really enjoy his interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was always upset by Leylands over reliance on veterans. Guys like Valverde he would hit his head against the wall despite all stats and signs saying the bottom has obviously fallen out. I expected Brad to come in and be more aggressive but he wasn't, if anything he was more conservative then Leyland. This season though, I think he has shown growth in not falling into the same things that have failed him in the past. I would be disappointed if they fired Brad this year. I think he has the potential to be a Bruce Bochy or Mike Sosocia. Someone who can still manage mediocre teams to good years and the times you have a great team get them to their potential. I definitely didn't see that in him two years ago or even portions of last year but this year he is acting different and I don't know if it's out of necessity or having a better grasp/comfort on his role. And I feel that way about him despite being under .500 which I think says a lot.

Was about to praise the bullpen then Brad, who I praised earlier, leaves Wilson in too long and they give up 2 runs.
I don't think he wanted to use Greene at all today but should have pulled Wilson after the second double in hindsight. 

Brad pinch hitting VMart knowing he'd be walked, then getting Romine to pinch run was +1 in runs today.  So I guess it evened out. 

Nice series.  Tigers players are really upping their trade value for the big sell off.  Meanwhile Sox are looking golden. 

Brad hasn't been a great manager for the Tigers, but he has been OK.  But lately, I think Brad has been improving and becoming a pretty good manager.  He is acting much quicker in making the appropriate moves and getting on players a bit when they screw up. Of course he is in a position of either making the playoffs or losing his job.  

Brad hasn't been a great manager for the Tigers, but he has been OK.  But lately, I think Brad has been improving and becoming a pretty good manager.  He is acting much quicker in making the appropriate moves and getting on players a bit when they screw up. Of course he is in a position of either making the playoffs or losing his job.  
I am having trouble following the train of thought here.

Cabrera is 3rd and Castellanos is 4th in hard hit % this year in all of baseball.  They also are 1 and 2 in the difference between weighted on base average (wOBA) and expected on base average (xwOBA).  So essentially they are the two unluckiest hitters in baseball.  Tigers also lead the AL in hard hit %. 

Back 3 of rotation are a mess and the only hope of help appears to be Sanchez getting his crap straightened out since the likes of Buck Farmer are stinking up AAA.
I'm gonna have to give you full credit for Farmer looking like he's Roger Clemens.  :thumbup:

He has the longest scoreless streak of any Tigers starter this year.  :oldunsure:

Doctor Detroit said:
Miggy and JD hit the ball harder but when JUP hits a homer it is a magnificent thing to behold.  Seems like they are all no doubters. 
Seems like JUP would make a pretty good golfer.

Fulmer was terrible today and he's giving up a lot of hits over his last handful of starts. The starting pitching which should be a strength is now a bigger concern than anything. 

Fulmer was terrible today and he's giving up a lot of hits over his last handful of starts. The starting pitching which should be a strength is now a bigger concern than anything. 
A 4.56 ERA for the starting rotation this season.  Clearly a disappointment as characterized.

JD Martinez looks like Victor Martinez in RF. Free run for the Red Sox.

Terrible umpiring, 10 stranded, and that awful effort by JD. Oooof 

JD Martinez looks like Victor Martinez in RF. Free run for the Red Sox.

Terrible umpiring, 10 stranded, and that awful effort by JD. Oooof 
If this was the NFL where you had players just on either offense or defense, Tigers+Mudhens might assemble a pretty good team. Too bad its not.

With JUP and JD producing It is time Ausmus moves Victor down in the lineup.  Forget about ego he needs to be 6th or 7th.  Now Miggy and Victor are DPs waiting to happen.  I keep thinking a triple play is possible when Victor gets up with runners on first and second.

On another note Robbie Ray is killing it.  ERA, WHIP and walks are down, Ks up. The good Doctor was right about him.

I keep thinking if they had let Ray develop they never probably never would have signed Zimmerman freeing up a ton of $$$$.    Ray, Fulmer, Verlander would be a nice front end of the rotation.

Agree with moving VMart down, was thinking the same thing myself. I'd move Jd to 3rd or 4th. Against lefties hit vmart 6th, maybe 5th vs righties. 

Also don't discount Norris yet, he's probably a #2 starter. Right now he just isn't managing games very well and needs to work in his control, but that will come. 

Ray was terrible until about the middle if last year, they would have signed jzimm anyway. I don't think anyone thought we'd get nothing out of Anibal his last two years either, that has been probably the single biggest point of failure the past two years. In hindsight Dombrowski should have kept Ray (although Shane Greene is a big arm) but when he got dealt almost everyone liked it. 

Starters have gone a combined 19 and 1/3 innings over the past 4 games, that is not a recipe for success. 

Last edited by a moderator:
sidebar

Greatest Tiger of All-time?

Where would you rank Miggy amongst positional players? 

Miguel Cabrera
Ty Cobb
Sam Crawford
Charlie Gehringer
Harry Heilmann
Al Kaline

Anybody else top 5 material? Kell, Kuenn, Manush, Walker, et al, weren't in Detroit long enough.

I loved Cash, Horton, Trammell and Whitaker but I don't think any of them are top 5 all-time.

I think ATM I'd have it:

1. Cobb
  2. Heilmann
  3. Cabrera
  4. Greenberg
  5. Gehringer

BobbyLayne said:
sidebar

Greatest Tiger of All-time?

Where would you rank Miggy amongst positional players? 

Miguel Cabrera
Ty Cobb
Sam Crawford
Charlie Gehringer
Harry Heilmann
Al Kaline

Anybody else top 5 material? Kell, Kuenn, Manush, Walker, et al, weren't in Detroit long enough.

I loved Cash, Horton, Trammell and Whitaker but I don't think any of them are top 5 all-time.

I think ATM I'd have it:

1. Cobb
  2. Heilmann
  3. Cabrera
  4. Greenberg
  5. Gehringer
I think that list is fine because those are probably the five best hitters in Tigers history, not necessarily in that order.  I'm glad you have Heilmann that high though, he was underrated for his time and a guy most Tigers fans don't even consider on this list.  Heilmann had more hits in the 1920s than any other hitter in baseball, and his 1921 season was probably the best non Cobb season in Tigers history.

I personally think Al Kaline is top five all-time.  If you look he and the much more popular Roberto Clemente were the same exact player.  Kaline more power, Clemente made it up in triples, but other than that they were very close (RC 26th all-time in WAR, Kaline 28th). 

Kaline won 10 gold gloves, more than any other Tiger.  He had 3000 hits, never had a full season where his OPS+ wasn't over 100, had nine seasons where he was top 10 in MVP voting, six seasons where he was top 5 in WAR, and his prime years he was playing in a league with the Yankees who were getting all the MVP votes (Kaline's WAR was double that of MVP Yogi Berra's in 1955 for example and he should have won) and championships.  He's also the Tigers all-time leader in homers and games played. 

Cobb is first and will always be first.  I'd say Greenberg 2nd because he was the best power hitter the team ever had, then Gehringer who probably would have also won ten gold gloves and is considered a top 10 all-time 2Bman, then Kaline and then Miggy.  Heilmann was the Tigers radio guy for almost 20 years so he gave more to the organization than probably anyone but Kaline, but he'd be 6th for me with Mickey Lolich, Hal Newhouser, Sam Crawford, and Alan Trammell rounding out top ten.  Verlander can be top ten, Miggy top 3 IMO. 

The Detroit Tigers selected right-hander Alex Faedo in the 40th round three seasons ago.

Tonight, with the No. 18 overall pick of the 2017 MLB draft, they selected him in the first round.

Faedo was ranked as the No. 14 overall prospect by Perfect Game and the No. 10 overall prospect by Baseball America. He was ranked as the best player available when the Tigers made their selection.

Faedo, 21, fits the Tigers profile: He is a big righty, listed at 6-foot-5, 220 pounds and is considered one of the best power pitchers in this year’s draft class.

“The Tigers are extremely excited to have drafted one of the most polished right-handed pitchers in all of college baseball,” director of amateur scouting Scott Pleis said in a release. “We couldn’t be happier to have him in the fold.”

Faedo’s fastball sits at 92-95 m.p.h. and according to MLBPipeline.com, has a slider that ranks highly on the scouting scale. He also throws a changeup.

During MLB Network’s draft show, both Hall of Fame pitcher John Smoltz and Hall of Fame reporter Peter Gammons compared Faedo to former Royals pitcher Kevin Appier.

Smoltz called Faedo’s delivery unorthodox and said, “I think this guy is just funky enough that he can be miserable on hitters. He goes downhill with his fastball and he changes arm angles. He’ll do whatever it takes to get the hitter out.

“Alex Faedo is going to be able to upgrade his mechanics and use that funkiness to give the hitters fits. I think command will be the only issue. If he can get locked in with his command, he is going to be awfully tough.”

With the Gators this season, Faedo is 7-2 with a 2.60 ERA and 132 strikeouts in 107 1/3 innings.

Gammons predicted Faedo would make it to the major leagues in short order.

“You talk to (Florida head coach) Kevin O’Sullivan, he’s one of his favorite players of all-time," Gammons said. "Reliable, he’s been a No. 1 starter for him for three years, he’s gone out on Friday nights and he’s got four pitches, he’s a horse. I know at times, some scouts worry about him – his velocity was down earlier in the season – and he throws a lot of sliders, one recent game he threw 84 out of 106 pitches for sliders, but that’s just his style.

“As Clayton Kershaw would say, a delivery can be part of your arsenal. It can be like another pitch because it is so deceptive. I think he’s got that. I think he’s a guy that’s going to get to the big leagues really fast.”

Faedo hails from Tampa, Fla., and was teammates with late Marlins ace Jose Fernandez in high school at Braulio Alonso High School.

The slotted bonus money for the No. 18 overall pick is $3.2 million.
freep

Users who are viewing this thread