Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun***

Doctor Detroit

1 hour ago, Bojang0301 said:

They had the opportunity to try for a bidding war between LA, Colorado and Arizona. I'm guessing more then a few teams are kicking themselves for not getting a player like JD for what Arizona just did. Even if these guys are awesome they're two years out. I just don't see how you justify a deal without any prospects that aren't pure studs or MLB ready.

The positions traded for are currently occupied by guys who may still be here next year. I'd think looking more towards 2019 would be the right move. Does seem light though. 

Edited by MAC_32

3 hours ago, FishTacoTuesday said:

I told you guys weeks ago, they'll get more for Justin Wilson than they will for JD. Still thought they'd get a little more than that but I also know nothing about King

Reading some interesting stuff on King. Way, way out though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bojang0301 said:

Can someone explain to me why the White Sox win nothing, do nothing crap is worth the prospects they're pulling? That's what makes that JD trade feel so much worse. 

They got nothing in the reliever trade they just made. Hth 

Frazier's a Mendoza Line straddling bum, Robertson's about 14m per, and Kahnle has pitched about 4 good months of ball in his career.

So not only do the Sox get a top 50 prospect, they save about $20m

Sure sounds like a fleecing to me

2 minutes ago, FishTacoTuesday said:

White Sux have made the best trades in baseball over the past year, today wasn't one of them but it had to be done. 

Plus Moncada now promoted :confetti: 

And it still wasn't the worst trade someone in the AL Central made today,

8 hours ago, jon_mx said:

A weak deal which throws any remote chance of contending out the window. Would have felt better if there was a pitching prospect.  

I don't follow the farm systems much, but I thought the Tigers had quite a few good arms already in the system and were very weak at position players?

5 hours ago, msudaisy26 said:

I don't follow the farm systems much, but I thought the Tigers had quite a few good arms already in the system and were very weak at position players?

They have been drafting "power right hand arms" for quite a few years now, sooner or later one of them might turn out to be something.

10 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I just hope they don't get too close, nobody wants to be in playoff contention come the end of the year. :o

This team is not good enough to win any division in baseball (or even get a wildcard spot), except the AL central. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

This is why I am starting to hate talk radio. a bunch of yahoos with no real info always assuming that their prized rental is worth the bank. The Fulmer deal was an aberration not the norm.

The Sux just pulled getting Rutherford (Top 100) and Clarkin (former 1st) for David Robertson and Todd Frazier. Seems to me that if packaging Wilson and JD together was the move they could have landed quite a bit in my estimate. Don't rationalize it, Avila has been waiting around all year saying he'll see if they're in contention now they've won 4 straight and are only five out and he trades JD for a song. Considering the majority of this team will clearly still be here next year, why did he get no ML ready prospects in return? In any case, if no one is calling you wait and leverage your talent. This was a dumb move and a result of Avila's crap FA moves on top of it (probably couldn't get 1st round compensation for being over he luxury tax).

While it sucks to lose JD it did generate an awesome evening of talking baseball with my daughter over text during the game last night. Trying to make sense of it, we landed on that, possibly, Lugo would be the third baseman of the future at a time where Nick moves to first and Miggy goes full time DH. Then we also hedge and see if Alcantara or King are a fit at second if either Machado doesn't pan out if Kinsler is gone or Iggy goes and Machado is the SS.   Jones may also complete 3rd some day too. The Duce coming back and Mahtook in CF made the move now option doable and better than doing nothing and losing JD for nothing in the off season. Not saying we love the trade, but saying it made some sense and just might end up not being as slanted as it seems. And my daughter, with her friends in MLB scooped the trade by more than 20 minutes over 97.1 and fox sports Detroit. No point other than proud Dad that she is so in to baseball. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

If J. Wilson gets dealt who get the closer gig? Rondon has been gross, assume they want to keep Greene in a multiple inning role. Alex Wilson?  Joe Jim get recalled? 

Rondon's been great since the beginning of June except for that blip against the Indians.  I don't trust him at all, but I'd think he gets first crack with Jimenez serving as September's plan B.

2 hours ago, Kraft... said:

If J. Wilson gets dealt who get the closer gig? Rondon has been gross, assume they want to keep Greene in a multiple inning role. Alex Wilson?  Joe Jim get recalled? 

Have to imagine Greene gets first crack. Maybe followed by Rondon. I still don't think Brad trusts Rondon at all.

I don't trust Avelia at all, trade Wilson, Alex Avelia and JD is already gone and then stay put. Fire Avelia and let the next GM figure out how to rebuild this team.

Firing Avila solves nothing. Also remember he brought JD to Detroit in the first place and was the one who identified both Fulmer and Justin Wilson as trade targets. Upton has been worth what he is getting paid, jzimm stinks so he's 1 for 2 on big contracts. The krod move worked great for a year and Pelfrey is eating innings albeit not for us. Alex Avila was his best move so far.

Plus his two #1 draft picks are on top 100 prospect lists. Gotta give him more time especially with the payroll coming down. Talent evaluation is his strong suit. 

• Like 1

Ya, while I haven't been pleased with Al's FA signings I'm willing to give him a pass in that arena and chalk it up to learning his job. It's been a mixed bag but I'm willing to see over a few years what he brings to the table. He is highly respected around the league not just within the Tigers organization. 

JD hurt first at bat for ARI. Sucks, I do like him and root for him. Maybe I was wrong and that's why you make the move when you can.

• Like 1

Dave Cameron had a great article at Fangraphs about the JD trade. Bottom line is there wasn't much interest, and the last time #Tigers fans went this ape#### was the Fister for Ray trade. So...

eta: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/author/cameron/

Edited by FishTacoTuesday

12 hours ago, FishTacoTuesday said:

Firing Avila solves nothing. Also remember he brought JD to Detroit in the first place and was the one who identified both Fulmer and Justin Wilson as trade targets. Upton has been worth what he is getting paid, jzimm stinks so he's 1 for 2 on big contracts. The krod move worked great for a year and Pelfrey is eating innings albeit not for us. Alex Avila was his best move so far.

Plus his two #1 draft picks are on top 100 prospect lists. Gotta give him more time especially with the payroll coming down. Talent evaluation is his strong suit. 

Disagree on Upton, that is an average at best signing, Zimmerman is a horrible signing, Pelfrey wasn't a good signing, Lowe was a bad signing. He might be good at spotting young talent, I don't want to give him all the credit for Fulmer and Wilson, but that would suit him more to be a scout or assistant GM then the actual GM. First he announced they had everyone on the block and then he just moves Maybin, either be sellers or give it another go not go halfway. He also has a lame duck manager, Brad should have been fired or given a 1 year extension.

Edited by msudaisy26
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bojang0301 said:

Avila needs to put the phone down and see where they end up closer to the 31st. The division is a #### show.

Even if the team stayed the path and somehow came out of this garbage division the most likely outcome is a repeat of '14 - getting beaten up by a superior team in the ALDS.

If re-signing JD was off the table then he is the only one that needs to go (but Avila probably should too), but discussions should be had on most of the rest of the roster.  Don't necessarily need to move them, but lay the groundwork for Fall/Winter movement.  

2 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Even if the team stayed the path and somehow came out of this garbage division the most likely outcome is a repeat of '14 - getting beaten up by a superior team in the ALDS.

If re-signing JD was off the table then he is the only one that needs to go (but Avila probably should too), but discussions should be had on most of the rest of the roster.  Don't necessarily need to move them, but lay the groundwork for Fall/Winter movement.  

It was a response to a Mahtook home run, immediately dashed by a Wilson blown save. They could have waited 10 days to trade JD though.

4 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

Brewers, Cubs, Dodgers and Astros looking at Verlander. I think he ends up getting moved, probably should get a good haul even with his contract. He's been more then solid the last two months.

The Cubs rumor has been for both Verlander and Avila. If the Cubs are willing to absorb the full amount of Verlander's contract, the return will be a C level prospect. 

Edited by Encyclopedia Brown

3 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

Brewers, Cubs, Dodgers and Astros looking at Verlander. I think he ends up getting moved, probably should get a good haul even with his contract. He's been more then solid the last two months.

:confused: 

Last 5 starts he has a 4.60 ERA and a WHIP of 1.54

• Like 1

More twitter fun. Norris tweeted something about birds not staying in one place for long. He is out there, so it could mean anything.  Just hoping that anything is that he is outta Toledo or someone else on the staff was traded and he was not traded. I like the kid.