What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (9 Viewers)

Good article from Bless You Boys:

Here at Bless You Boys, we publish several articles every day. We write tens of thousands of words each week, and offer an opinion or two on even the smallest moves the Detroit Tigersorganization makes.

Today, we are at a loss for words.

The Tigers traded Justin Verlander to the Houston Astros late Thursday evening, and received a trio of prospects in return. Detroit also offered up some salary relief, and early reactions from around baseball have praised general manager Al Avila for prying a respectable return out of Jeff Luhnow and the ‘Stros. Objectively, this was a good trade for the Tigers, and a necessary one given their recent plunge into an overdue rebuild. Franklin Perez is arguably the best prospect in the Tigers’ farm system now, while Dax Cameron and Jake Rogers will slot into the top 15-20 or so.

Subjectively, this sucks. Verlander is the best pitcher to ever wear a Tigers uniform, and should be a Hall of Famer when he hangs up his spikes. The team’s resurgence in 2006 and beyond was built on his right arm. His starts were #MustSeeJV. He was so dominant during his peak years, seemingly flirting with no-hitters every other week. That he only has one Cy Young Award is more of an indictment of the highly flawed voting process than his own performance.

And he was all ours.

There was some risk when Verlander was selected with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2004 draft. He wasn’t the most polished college arm available in that class, and probably not even the most likely to reach the majors. He had the highest ceiling, though, and the gamble paid off several times over. There was a palpable excitement when he breezed through the minors and reached the major leagues in 2005. The flame-throwing youngster was the Tigers’ best chance of returning to glory in over a decade, and a hot start to 2006 only fanned those flames. He helped anchor that rotation in their run to the World Series, creating a new generation of Tigers fans.

Think about all of the great performances Verlander had in his Tigers career. Die-hard fans can rattle off at least a half dozen within seconds, and can probably name exactly where they were when each occurred. I remember sitting with my father as we watched Verlander finish off his first career no-hitter in 2007. We saw him dominate the Baltimore Orioles in person a few years later. I put off studying for important midterms when he finished off the Oakland Athleticsin the 2012 ALDS, then again in 2013. There are several other fleeting memories of Verlander starts, most of which involve cackling at how a knee-buckling curveball froze yet another strikeout victim.

Others have already started to tell their own stories of what Verlander meant to them. From bonding with family members to going to games to spending time with friends, Verlander and the Tigers brought us all together. Each story is unique, and each one is special. A Tigers lifer, Verlander has a special connection with this fanbase that others like Justin Upton or even J.D. Martinez didn’t have. Those trades stung. This one goes even deeper.

For those who were brought up on this iteration of the Tigers — or even had their fandom renewed after a long stretch of futility — Verlander was the centerpiece. He was that Tigers team, even as Miguel Cabrera and Max Scherzer collected their own (well-deserved) individual glories. It’s gut-wrenching to imagine Verlander wearing another uniform, and will be even harder to see in person when he dons an Astros jersey for the first time. From both a statistical and emotional perspective, Verlander is a centerpiece of Tigers lore. He is one of the most decorated players in franchise history, ranking second in wins and strikeouts, with a Cy Young Award, MVP, and six All-Star appearances.

More importantly, he was one of ours. He helped usher in one of the most successful eras in franchise history, and restored credibility to one of the more downtrodden organizations in baseball. He made us cheer and laugh, and was an important part of our lives for the last 13 years.

Thank you for everything, Justin. Now go get a ring.

They have him under control for like 5 more years. I don't think I would trade him yet. Unless they get a really great deal.
if he keeps pitching like he is those arbitration years are going to get pretty pricey. I'm not saying you just dumped him but if you can get a package of a level prospects I think you do it. by the time we're ready to contend he'll be facing free agency and a 20-30 million dollar a year contract 

What Avila did yesterday was pretty unprecedented.  You rarely see premium players moved after the trade deadline, but he moved JUP and JV on the last possible day, and in JV's case, the last possible minute.  I'm just happy JV wasn't a salary dump, had he done that I would have no hope for the immediate future.  But getting three good prospects back and not having to pay $40 million or something stupid was a net win, regardless of how the prospects work out.  The farm system is in good shape, especially with arms. 

What Avila did yesterday was pretty unprecedented.  You rarely see premium players moved after the trade deadline, but he moved JUP and JV on the last possible day, and in JV's case, the last possible minute.  I'm just happy JV wasn't a salary dump, had he done that I would have no hope for the immediate future.  But getting three good prospects back and not having to pay $40 million or something stupid was a net win, regardless of how the prospects work out.  The farm system is in good shape, especially with arms. 
Once you get past the mourning stage you'll probably be touting Perez pretty hard.

"Some clubs have turned it around in two to three years," Avila said. "I remember years ago, the five-year plan. And there are some teams that, quite frankly, it's taken them 10 years. I'm 59 years old. I certainly don't want a 10-year plan. I just don't see that in my vision. But I'd rather have a shorter term than a longer term, I'll tell you that. We'll be working very hard to do this in a manner where it makes sense in different steps."

How many  ex- Tigers will have a chance to play in this years World series?

Verlander-Maybin, Robbie Ray-JD, Wilson-Avila, Max, Rajah,Porcello,Price, Miller  missing anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Verlander-Maybin, Robbie Ray-JD, Wilson-Avila, Max, Rajah,Porcello,Price, Miller  missing anyone?
Can't forget Fister.  

And Rodney, Knebel, Perez and AJ.  

Da Guru said:

You can play that game with a lot of teams. Doesn't mean that whole would be the sum of its parts or its $300 million dollar salary.

Dan Lambskin said:
Almost as bad as losing a WS to the damn Giants
That one bothers me the least.  2013 they were the best team in baseball, they should have ran roughshod over the Red Sox but didn't.  2006 their team was just hot and played the team who ended up having the worst record of any World Series champ ever.  That series came down to a couple of plays they didn't make, they could have easily won in five games.  2014 they were good too, somehow got swept by the ####### Orioles. 

That one bothers me the least.  2013 they were the best team in baseball, they should have ran roughshod over the Red Sox but didn't.  2006 their team was just hot and played the team who ended up having the worst record of any World Series champ ever.  That series came down to a couple of plays they didn't make, they could have easily won in five games.  2014 they were good too, somehow got swept by the ####### Orioles. 
Still think if Max went one more inning instead of saying he was done it would have been a different series. JV would have never said he was out of gas.

I swear to God I thought about the exact same thing last week. 
Max was still hitting 95-96 and was a much better option than Veras.  Finish the dam inning and then say you are done.

Always felt than Max wanted out of games without getting the loss.  Even with the Nats he never fought to stay in the game after he gave up that HR in the playoffs even thought he was dominate.  Leaving when the game was tied he was off the hook for a loss.

You can play that game with a lot of teams. Doesn't mean that whole would be the sum of its parts or its $300 million dollar salary.
For some reason many players just seem to play better on other city's teams. Some blame the coaching or the stadium, but I blame the Losing Lions aura wafting over from the always visible Ford Field.

two words. Joba Chamberlain

Max was still hitting 95-96 and was a much better option than Veras.  Finish the dam inning and then say you are done.

Always felt than Max wanted out of games without getting the loss.  Even with the Nats he never fought to stay in the game after he gave up that HR in the playoffs even thought he was dominate.  Leaving when the game was tied he was off the hook for a loss.
I always felt like he just knew when he was done, he didn't want to hurt the team and trusted other guys to come into and do their jobs. It is odd how we love the guy that fights to stay in, but don't love the guy that thinks he is out of gas and is going to hurt the team by staying in to long.

two words. Joba Chamberlain
One word:. Soria

Everyone on the planet knew he was washed up at that point except for Brad.  Baltimore gave him a standing ovation when he came out knowing that a 3-run deficit was small beans to overcome with him on the mound. 

Robbie Ray is killing it!  Ray has been elite this year and matches up with the top started in MLB this season. Higher K rate than Sherzer.

Will never understand why they traded for him then gave up on him so fast.

Monday morning QB but I keep thinking of a staff of Max, Verlander, Ray, Fulmer and whoever with Knebal closing.  Signing JD to a longer contract two years ago when he was affordable.  Team could have stayed in the hunt for a few more seasons.

Still think 160 would  retained Max the season before his FA year. After wasting the $$$ on Zimmerman, Lowe and Pelfrey made more in a season than it would have taken to sign Max.

Whitecaps got eliminated by a really good Dayton team but Matt Manning still had 10ks in his first playoff game.  Of all the prospects, he's got the highest upside.  He's also a 19-year-old pitcher so....

Users who are viewing this thread