What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (5 Viewers)

There is something to be said about youthful exuberance. :thumbup:  

I love watching JImenez this year, he’s into every pitch like the season is on the line. 

Good to see this team has some fight in them.   I am not sure though how you keep a team to two runs on twelve hits.   That is a lot of clutch pitching.  

This team has a lot of fight, that’s for sure. Not sure if the the starting pitching will continue it’s torrid start but the bullpen is much, much better then years past. 

Not gonna rail on Shane Greene, he's been good over the last season plus.  Really only a matter of time until Jimenez takes over though, he just has the make up and personality to do that job.  Plus it would allow Greene to pitch more than an inning in a stopper role, which I think fits him better. 

Not hearing all the chirping about the way Avila built this team this offseason. Pretty nice. That being said a lot of these W’s have come against bad teams. Machado, JaCoby, Candelario and JJ have all looked like legitimate major leaguers to start the season. Wish they would make a decision on Norris. I think it would probably be best to keep him stretched out as a starter. It’s rare a rotation makes it through the whole year without some DL time. 

Granted it’s been a super soft schedule and we are only like 20 games in but I really like the direction of things.  We did well on the Cubs trade.  Candy is playing well and Lugo is off to a fast start in Toledo.  It’s also good to see Jimenez start putting it together - who knows by end of season they may move Greene for more prospects and promote Joe to closer.  

Gerber and Stewart are also in Toledo now and I’m excited to see how they continue to progress.  I’ve followed them since their West Michigan days.  

We have some great pitching at Double A and then get to look forward to Manning playing a full season now that he’s back playing and Faedo as well.  We also will take another pitcher at #1 and hopefully Perez is back as scheduled from injury.  

Lots to look forward to.  Just have to give Al some time.  

Fulmer’s health still greatly concerns me though.  We also need to resign Nick - it’s great he has accepted the leadership role.  Even in all the good years it was never entirely clear who the team leader was.  

Maybe I am just more excited about the youth movement than most since I’ve followed a lot of the players since their days in low A ball but at some point the team has to reboot and it seems to be doing so in a fashion without completely bottoming out like back in the early 2000’s 

On the "soft schedule", it can't be too soft when all the teams they have played were predicted to win more games than the Tigers. I believe only Miami in either league was expected to win less games.

Not gonna rail on Shane Greene, he's been good over the last season plus.  Really only a matter of time until Jimenez takes over though, he just has the make up and personality to do that job.  Plus it would allow Greene to pitch more than an inning in a stopper role, which I think fits him better. 
Absolutely.  Greene is usually good for 2-3 innings.  Never understood why he did not develop into a more effective starter. 

Gopher State said:
Gardy will end up being manager of the year
All shtick aside, and I'm not going to go back and look it up, but I said the Tigers should hire Gardenhire when they hired Ausmus.  And right now, Ausmus should be the manager after Gardy retired.  The 2013 team might have gone further, in fact I'm sure they would have.  The 2014 and 2015 teams probably would have had a shot at playoffs.  I don't think Brad Ausmus was a bad manager, and I think he'll get another shot and I'm sure he'll do fine.  But the decision to hire him over a guy like Gardy was not the right choice for a team that was coming off a season where they were the best in baseball, and didn't win the World Series. 

Gardy isn't winning AL Manager of the year unless the Tigers make the playoffs, so he's not winning ALMOY.  If they get close to .500, I'd be very pleased.  

Only two more years of Zimmerman’s contract after this season.  That’s going to seem like an eternity.  I don’t know what happened to him but he’s like Sanchez was from 2015-17.  

skillz said:
Only two more years of Zimmerman’s contract after this season.  That’s going to seem like an eternity.  I don’t know what happened to him but he’s like Sanchez was from 2015-17.  
THIS contract is quite an anchor-weight for the Tigers. He's throwing a ton of pitches and not able to get deep into any game he starts. PLUS he isn't fooling any batters. Heard Gardenhire on an interview a few moments ago - and he notices that all his pitches are coming in at the same velocity and says he's a veteran and has to work it out.

Everytime I see Zimmerman is pitching, at this point it makes me cringe. Especially given they are trying to work Norris out of the pen. At least VMart and Miggy’s albatross contracts have above average hitters attached to them. They can’t even put Zimm in the pen. I feel like by the time we get to this offseason they may end up swallowing those two years.

Everytime I see Zimmerman is pitching, at this point it makes me cringe. Especially given they are trying to work Norris out of the pen. At least VMart and Miggy’s albatross contracts have above average hitters attached to them. They can’t even put Zimm in the pen. I feel like by the time we get to this offseason they may end up swallowing those two years.
They put Anibal in the pen so who knows maybe it happens at some point.  As JimiT said Zimmerman is not throwing off speed stuff well enough to keep the hitters off balance and they are teeing off.  Saw this interesting stat today:

Comparing Sanchez's three bad years, 2015-17, with Zimmerman's numbers:

JZ: 5.75 ERA, 4.88 FIP, 1.525 WHIP, 6.0 K/9, 1.5 HR/9, 2.3 K/BB

AS: 5.67 ERA, 5.01 FIP, 1.427 WHIP, 8.2 K/9, 1.8 HR/9, 2.9 K/BB

Alex Wilson is the bullpen version of Zimmerman.  Wasted a great effort by Fulmer today which is too bad. 

Alex Wilson is the bullpen version of Zimmerman.  Wasted a great effort by Fulmer today which is too bad. 
Stumpf, JJ, and Greene are the only guys worth pitching in tight games.  I would rather see Saupold in that spot than Wilson, he seems done. 

Time to call up Zac Reininger, at least he might be decent. 

Agreed on this...he's given up 4 late inning homers that were at crucial times (duh late innings). But...the TIgers inability to get runners in from 3rd base did them in yesterday.

Positive spin time. Almost all the negatives surround older players that are not long term solutions to anything. If they keep developing players that were born in the 90's and not the 80's, it's just a matter of time before we have a beautiful butterfly instead of that ugly old larva.

People #####ing about Zimmerman need to look at the advanced stats. 

His SIERA, which is the one of the best indicators of pitching ability, will be under 3.50 after tonight. His BABIP coming in was .397, .300 is normal. His xfip was 4.09 coming into tonight, that will be down into the 3.6 range now.  His ks/9 are over 10 while his LOB% was 50%, 70% is normal. 

He’s been the most unlucky pitcher in baseball probably, relax. 

Jones didn’t know it was coming. 

Exciting win. 

Fulmer had a rough first two innings but recovered nicely. Bullpen has been good but Stumpf, JJ, and Greene are all getting heavy workloads. 

Tigers are worst in baseball at swinging at balls out of the strikezone and also at the bottom in walks. Glad Lloyd is back! 

JaCoby with another clutch hit. 

This lineup really misses Miggy but glad he went to DL. No sense for him to play hurt on this team. 

Liriano deserved better than that. Stumpf and JJ both with 17 appearances this year, they’re gonna have to find someone else to pitch in high leverage spots. 

JZimm and bullpen awesome. Some Horrible fielding in 9th made it too interesting.

2.5 games out of 1st! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Gardy giving Castellanos and Candelario the same day off. Um...

eta: flu/thumb 

Last edited by a moderator:
Would really like for them to take a chance on Harvey and start him over Fiers. If he cleaned up his act a little and pitched well worse they could do is maybe get a middling prospect for him. Not sure how 4.25m is such a big deal to a major league team. They’ll be purging contract money at the trade deadline anyway most likely.

Bojang0301 said:
Would really like for them to take a chance on Harvey and start him over Fiers. If he cleaned up his act a little and pitched well worse they could do is maybe get a middling prospect for him. Not sure how 4.25m is such a big deal to a major league team. They’ll be purging contract money at the trade deadline anyway most likely.
I’d pick up Harvey if he was waived, but no way I’d trade anything to have to pay him $5 mill the rest of the year. That would be really dumb. 

Completely screwed again by replay on that double play ball in the 8th.  Instead of 2nd and 3rd with two out and Hicks up, inning over.  His foot was no where near the bag, why even bother having replay? 

Users who are viewing this thread