Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun***


Doctor Detroit

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Team on pace for 79 wins, Greene on pace for 73 saves.

Thats a good 10-15 more than most predicted? I think 75 would be amazing considering their lineup.

Boyd with another great outing. Shane had a Todd Jones kind of 9th but it’s still a W.

If they sell off Shane and Nick they are not getting to 79 wins.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another good Matt Boyd start (recurring theme) Actually great, other than the 2nd pitch of the game. 

Tigers four run rally was the oddest of the year because it started after Nick and Miggy made the first two outs.

Going to bed now #becauseold, if I wake up to read how they blew it, gonna need a iPhone XS Max because I doubt the 7+ will survive the 7 floor throw out the window.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Rotation is gonna be the pretty sweet in 2021 if they don’t muck it up.

Good news: Miggy with 2 singles last night, up to .304

Bad news: Miggy’s S.Pct. is up to .376

:mellow:

 

Buster Olney posted tonight that he leads the league in BABIP (.411).

That doesn't bode well for him keeping this up for the rest of the season. He needs to put some in the seats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Another good Matt Boyd start (recurring theme) Actually great, other than the 2nd pitch of the game. 

Tigers four run rally was the oddest of the year because it started after Nick and Miggy made the first two outs.

Going to bed now #becauseold, if I wake up to read how they blew it, gonna need a iPhone XS Max because I doubt the 7+ will survive the 7 floor throw out the window.

 

Boyd has been so good. And it seems like they may have found something in Turnbull. 🤞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Tigers are calling up LHP Gregory Soto to pitch in the doubleheader on Saturday.  He gave up 5.6 BB/9 in A ball last season and was suspended for 20 games this year for conduct detrimental.  I assume he's the only guy on the 40 man who's stretched out and on schedule but it should be interesting to see him face big league pitching.

He's listed at 6'1" 240 but he doesn't look fat in the pictures I've seen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The Tigers are calling up LHP Gregory Soto to pitch in the doubleheader on Saturday.  He gave up 5.6 BB/9 in A ball last season and was suspended for 20 games this year for conduct detrimental.  I assume he's the only guy on the 40 man who's stretched out and on schedule but it should be interesting to see him face big league pitching.

He's listed at 6'1" 240 but he doesn't look fat in the pictures I've seen.

Jumping right over AAA to pitch in the bigs. I wish him luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:
54 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The Tigers are calling up LHP Gregory Soto to pitch in the doubleheader on Saturday.  He gave up 5.6 BB/9 in A ball last season and was suspended for 20 games this year for conduct detrimental.  I assume he's the only guy on the 40 man who's stretched out and on schedule but it should be interesting to see him face big league pitching.

He's listed at 6'1" 240 but he doesn't look fat in the pictures I've seen.

Jumping right over AAA to pitch in the bigs. I wish him luck.

13 IP above A ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

repost from another thread, I bet I'm not the only one...

Quote

earliest memory of going to Tiger Stadium was watching four large black me pick up an MG two seater to move it a few feet so we could fit our station wagon into their front yard

anyone else remember every house around Michigan & Trumbull being a parking lot? 

 

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

earliest memory of going to Tiger Stadium was watching four large black me pick up an MG two seater to move it a few feet so we could fit our station wagon into their front yard

repost from another thread, I bet I'm not the only one...

 

Totally.  My Grandfather worked on the line at GM Cadillac and knew lots of folks in Corktown.  As I recall, we'd pull in super tight to other cars and my Dad would hand the homeowner whatever it'd cost AND the keys to the car (and the would hand us a bag of peanuts in a paper lunch bag).  By the end of the game, all of the cars were turned around, with the keys in them, ready to head for home.

Another cool memory.  We lived on the eastside and Richie Hebner did a few Ads for a local car dealer where a friend of my Dad sold cars.  Once in a while, Dad would call home about an hour before game time to let me know we could have Richie's tickets if would could get downtown quick.  I'd rapidly gather 3 other buddies and we would rush downtown to the ticket office.  We'd let them know we were there for the tickets and they would call down to the clubhouse.  Minutes later, through one of those tubes you'd see at a bank drive though, our tickets would pop in to the box office.  Always great seats.  We felt like rockstars.

This jogged another memory.  I played HS ball in the mid 80s and Rusty ####z & Dave Bergman rented homes in the area during the season.  On off days, they would just walk over and watch practice and games.  Bergie always sort of sat back and watched from left field out of the way.  Rusty, on the other hand, became a fan and would cheer and got to know the team a bit.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Jake Rogers has been promoted to AAA. 

He's never been good offensively - until this year. I sure hope its sustainable.

His OPS is .995 in 26 games this year. Promote that AA hitting coach while they are at it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Jake Rogers has been promoted to AAA. 

He's never been good offensively - until this year. I sure hope its sustainable.

Catcher's have different developmental curves than other positions, but this time last year he was hitting 152/212/152.  From today-on?  242/314/504 (818 OPS) with all 17 of his bombs.  Combine it with the start to this year and you have a calendar year triple slash of 257/337/512 (849 OPS).

I expect another slow start at AAA and him not to be on the promotion radar for another 12-13 months or so, but if things click then maybe we'll see him in September.  Would need to make room on the 40-man though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Catcher's have different developmental curves than other positions, but this time last year he was hitting 152/212/152.  From today-on?  242/314/504 (818 OPS) with all 17 of his bombs.  Combine it with the start to this year and you have a calendar year triple slash of 257/337/512 (849 OPS).

I expect another slow start at AAA and him not to be on the promotion radar for another 12-13 months or so, but if things click then maybe we'll see him in September.  Would need to make room on the 40-man though.

 

An .849 OPS with his defensive skills would be pretty badass. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since the trade for Rogers, Daz Cameron (Toledo) & Franklin Perez (rehabbing), Justin Verlander has gone 27-10, 2.36 ERA, 305 IP, 401 Ks & 56 BBs

11.8/1.7 ratio per nine innings

6-1, 2.51 this year going into today's start

 

Not lamenting anything, it was the right move. I'm glad JV got his ring, was a massive part of that run, and he's cemented his legacy with the resurgence. HoFer for sure.

Too easy to look around MLB and wonder what might have been if we could have kept team together. The reality is they couldn't - had to rebuild the farm system.

They had enough talent on the 40-man to win a couple WS titles 2011-13 but never got it done. 

And I miss Mr. I.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Since the trade for Rogers, Daz Cameron (Toledo) & Franklin Perez (rehabbing), Justin Verlander has gone 27-10, 2.36 ERA, 305 IP, 401 Ks & 56 BBs

11.8/1.7 ratio per nine innings

6-1, 2.51 this year going into today's start

 

Not lamenting anything, it was the right move. I'm glad JV got his ring, was a massive part of that run, and he's cemented his legacy with the resurgence. HoFer for sure.

Too easy to look around MLB and wonder what might have been if we could have kept team together. The reality is they couldn't - had to rebuild the farm system.

They had enough talent on the 40-man to win a couple WS titles 2011-13 but never got it done. 

And I miss Mr. I.

 

That last sentence is the most telling. With no salary cap an owner like that can create a contending team. His kids are not going to follow that path, thus the current rebuild.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

That last sentence is the most telling. With no salary cap an owner like that can create a contending team. His kids are not going to follow that path, thus the current rebuild.

Any discernible pattern with the DRW decline? Just a coincidence I'm sure.

But hey, Stevie, so....summer of hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2019 at 10:30 PM, whoknew said:

Tigers sent Candelario down. Hard to blame them. Hopefully he fixes ... himself.

I am impressed at how he’s advanced as a fielder, he’s put in the work. 

He’s a much better RH hitter but this year he’s been awful against lefties too. His ceiling as a switch hitter is limited because he’s never gonna be great vs righties, but he’s still just 25 and I think he can be at least a major league average 3Bman. 

I think it was a good move. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I am impressed at how he’s advanced as a fielder, he’s put in the work. 

He’s a much better RH hitter but this year he’s been awful against lefties too. His ceiling as a switch hitter is limited because he’s never gonna be great vs righties, but he’s still just 25 and I think he can be at least a major league average 3Bman. 

I think it was a good move. 

Candelario looks to be a solid major-leaguer that just needs to fine tune his approach at the the plate. The guy that is going to make the Justin Wilson trade look lopsided in a couple of years is Isaac Paredes. He has a very bright future. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Not good. Water is finding its level, I'm afraid.

Even for Tigers fans who are used to 9th inning meltdowns, that was tough to watch. Ronnie should have turned the DP to end it, getting swept by the Marlins at home is a season if not three year low. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

:excited:

Brutal year. Again.

Better days down the road if those arms on the farm keep developing. Hopefully.

Arms look promising but I don’t think they have any major league caliber position players anywhere in the system 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Arms look promising but I don’t think they have any major league caliber position players anywhere in the system 

 

Jake Rogers is having a heck of a year. He's a potential very good ML catcher.

And, of course, Daz. 

But yea, that's about it. Maybe Paredes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, whoknew said:

 

Jake Rogers is having a heck of a year. He's a potential very good ML catcher.

And, of course, Daz. 

But yea, that's about it. Maybe Paredes.

I'm also hoping that whoever they sell off at the deadline can bring back a position player that has some hitting potential.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, whoknew said:

 

Jake Rogers is having a heck of a year. He's a potential very good ML catcher.

And, of course, Daz. 

But yea, that's about it. Maybe Paredes.

Dan gets his Tigers info from Dennis Fithian. Forgive him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...