What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (2 Viewers)

1-3 7.61

14-6 2.55

$10M 5.10 1.57 7 BS

$7M 45 SV

3-4 4.08

1-3 1.70

Gaping hole in CF

A lot of these didn't go our way, at least not yet. That's new and something we're not used to seeing. We're a bit spoiled from all the trades we came out ahead on prior to this year.

DD made a tremendous trade getting rid of Prince's contract. Kinsler had an awesome first half and has played good D.

Tough breaks: Rondon, Iggy, Hanrahan, Dirks.

Pujols, Mays, Gehrig and Cabrera are, after last night's game, the only four players in Major League history to have eleven consecutive seasons with 300 or more total bases.

Last edited by a moderator:
1-3 7.61

14-6 2.55

$10M 5.10 1.57 7 BS

$7M 45 SV

3-4 4.08

1-3 1.70

Gaping hole in CF

A lot of these didn't go our way, at least not yet. That's new and something we're not used to seeing. We're a bit spoiled from all the trades we came out ahead on prior to this year.

DD made a tremendous trade getting rid of Prince's contract. Kinsler had an awesome first half and has played good D.

The Fister trade set everything in motion. The team was solid keeping Fister and leaving Smyly in the bullpen. Fister was under control for another season and Smyly 4 more seasons. Then move Smyly into the rotation when Max leaves. They would have not traded for Price and kept Jackson in CF. Price can look great at time but in terms of wins and losses it has not been a big upgrade. I was never a big Jackson fan but I sure do miss him in CF now. Before DD rips on me I know I am beating a dead horse but that's what we do here.

Aonther note, if the Twins would have played with that much enthusiasm all season the would be in a playoff hunt. Jesus...you would think they were in a World Series game last night.

1-3 7.61

14-6 2.55

$10M 5.10 1.57 7 BS

$7M 45 SV

3-4 4.08

1-3 1.70

Gaping hole in CF

The Fister trade set everything in motion. The team was solid keeping Fister and leaving Smyly in the bullpen. Fister was under control for another season and Smyly 4 more seasons. Then move Smyly into the rotation when Max leaves. They would have not traded for Price and kept Jackson in CF. Price can look great at time but in terms of wins and losses it has not been a big upgrade. I was never a big Jackson fan but I sure do miss him in CF now. I know I am beating a dead horse but that's what we do here.

Aonther note, if the Twins would have played with that much enthusiasm all season the would be in a playoff hunt. Jesus...you would think they we in a World Series game last night.
:goodposting:

Although the Twins have been playing like this since like early August, still too late, but this isn't new.

A guy on MLB Network said it best. If this team with its roster of cy youngs & mvps can't make it to the postseason, coming out of this division "THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG".

Here's a quick look at the next series for the Detroit Tigers:

Opponent: Kansas City Royals

Site: Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City

Records: Tigers, 84-68 (1st in AL Central, half-game lead over Kansas City); Royals, 83-68 (2nd in AL Central)

Schedule

Friday: RHP Justin Verlander (13-12, 4.81 ERA) vs. LHP Jason Vargas (11-9, 3.41 ERA), 8:10 p.m., FSD, ESPN2

Saturday: RHP Max Scherzer (16-5, 3.26 ERA) vs. RHP James Shields (14-7, 3.15 ERA), 1:05 p.m., FOX

Sunday: RHP Rick Porcello (15-11, 3.19 ERA) vs. RHP Jeremy Guthrie (11-11, 4.35 ERA), 2:10 p.m., FSD, TBS

Scouting the Royals: The Tigers have a chance to grab a 3 1/2-game lead over the Royals if they can complete a three-game sweep in Kansas City this weekend. Then again, there's a chance they could drop three straight and trail the Royals by 2 1/2 games heading into the final week of the season. Kansas City's top two starters are scheduled to pitch this weekend, including ace James Shields, who tossed seven shutout innings en route to a 3-0 win over the Tigers last week. Royals southpaw Jason Vargas will open the series Friday against Justin Verlander after Tigers manager Brad Ausmus decided to skip rookie Kyle Lobstein and move the rest of the rotation up. Verlander has bullied the Royals for much of his career, but he owns a 5.59 ERA in three starts against the Royals this season and he's posted a 6.00 ERA over his last six starts, during which opponents have hit .311 against him. Royals leadoff hitter Nori Aoki has been particularly hot at the plate as of late, hitting .846 (11 for 13) against the White Sox earlier this week and setting a team record for most hits in a three-game series. Side note: Royals infielder Christian Colon, who is sidelined with a broken middle finger, was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Wednesday. There was no word on whether the Royals are adding another player to the roster prior to Friday's series opener.

MAC_32 said:
Da Guru said:
1-3 7.61

14-6 2.55

$10M 5.10 1.57 7 BS

$7M 45 SV

3-4 4.08

1-3 1.70

Gaping hole in CF

The Fister trade set everything in motion. The team was solid keeping Fister and leaving Smyly in the bullpen. Fister was under control for another season and Smyly 4 more seasons. Then move Smyly into the rotation when Max leaves. They would have not traded for Price and kept Jackson in CF. Price can look great at time but in terms of wins and losses it has not been a big upgrade. I was never a big Jackson fan but I sure do miss him in CF now. I know I am beating a dead horse but that's what we do here.

Aonther note, if the Twins would have played with that much enthusiasm all season the would be in a playoff hunt. Jesus...you would think they we in a World Series game last night.

Although the Twins have been playing like this since like early August, still too late, but this isn't new.
Twins lost two doubleheaders in the same week last week, and were 16-27 since August 1st coming into the Detroit series.

They are disgusting.

Torii Hunter's baserunning gaff last night was the absolute low point in the season IMO. People on twitter were blaming Ausmus, lol.

Hunter is not a good baseball player anymore, not at all. :no:

The David Price meltdown is strange, if you score four runs with him on the mound you should be winning way more than you lose. Scherzer has been bad lately, JV bad all year. Sanchez going down has been pretty big.

Bullpen went a month where it was among the best in the league, but Nathan just can't be the exclusive closer right now. Use Soria as the first option, use Nathan in tie games or maybe to get one or two outs.

KC is going to be crazy this weekend, it's put up or shut up time for both teams. I think Tigers need to win two because you know they'll go 3-4 next week vs the Twins and Sux.

MAC_32 said:
Da Guru said:
1-3 7.61

14-6 2.55

$10M 5.10 1.57 7 BS

$7M 45 SV

3-4 4.08

1-3 1.70

Gaping hole in CF

Twins lost two doubleheaders in the same week last week, and were 16-27 since August 1st coming into the Detroit series.

They are disgusting.
:goodposting: The twins have been pretty awful since early August :confused:

Strangely I would feel better about winning this series if we were starting a couple of guys we called up from the minors than our trio of Cy Young winners.

It is really ridiculous how many runs the Tigers have allowed. Only teams having really crappy seasons (less than 70 wins) have allowed more runs than the Tigers. It is really crazy considering the starting rotation the Tigers have. Watching this team implode is....... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

1-3 7.61

14-6 2.55

$10M 5.10 1.57 7 BS

$7M 45 SV

3-4 4.08

1-3 1.70

Gaping hole in CF

They are disgusting.
Their record blows because so does their pitching, their offense has been much better.

Torii Hunter's baserunning gaff last night was the absolute low point in the season IMO. People on twitter were blaming Ausmus, lol.

The David Price meltdown is strange, if you score four runs with him on the mound you should be winning way more than you lose. Scherzer has been bad lately, JV bad all year. Sanchez going down has been pretty big.

Bullpen went a month where it was among the best in the league, but Nathan just can't be the exclusive closer right now. Use Soria as the first option, use Nathan in tie games or maybe to get one or two outs.

KC is going to be crazy this weekend, it's put up or shut up time for both teams. I think Tigers need to win two because you know they'll go 3-4 next week vs the Twins and Sux.
What was the most troubling is the infield was playing back and conceding the run. Hunter would not even have drawn a throw. Then you could almost see Mauers eyes light up when he saw Hunter not take off. I hope I am wrong but I still don`t think Ausmus will use Soria instead of Nathan when both are rested. Another thing is that Ausmus needs to stop all the so called defensive moves in the late innings.

What was the most troubling is the infield was playing back and conceding the run. Hunter would not even have drawn a throw. Then you could almost see Mauers eyes light up when he saw Hunter not take off. I hope I am wrong but I still don`t think Ausmus will use Soria instead of Nathan when both are rested. Another thing is that Ausmus needs to stop all the so called defensive moves in the late innings.
Absolutely. We need to keep the offense in the lineup because no lead is safe and all the defense in the world is not going to help Nathan.

GAME INFORMATION

Who: Detroit Tigers (84-68, 1st in AL Central) at Kansas City Royals (83-68, 2nd in AL Central)

When: 8:10 p.m.

Where: Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.

TV: Fox Sports Detroit, ESPN 2

Radio: 97.1 The Ticket and the Detroit Tigers radio network

STARTING PITCHERS

Detroit Tigers

Justin Verlander (13-12, 4.81 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Royals: 18-7, 3.23 ERA

Kansas City Royals

Jason Vargas (11-9, 3.41 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Tigers: 3-3, 4.86 ERA

STARTING LINEUPS

(Statistics vs. opposing starter in parentheses)

Detroit Tigers

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B (17 for 56, .304, 6 2Bs, 2 HRs, 5 RBIs)

2. Torii Hunter, RF (12 for 40, .300, 4 2Bs, 4 BBs, 7 SOs)

3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B (5 for 17, .294, 3 2Bs, HR, 7 BBs)

4. Victor Martinez, DH (4 for 11, .364, 4 1Bs)

5. J.D. Martinez, LF (1 for 6, HR)

6. Nick Castellanos, 3B (1 for 12, .083, HR)

7. James McCann, C

8. Eugenio Suarez, SS (0 for 2)

9. Rajai Davis, CF (6 for 22, 2 2Bs, HR, 6 SOs)

Kansas City Royals

1. Alcides Escobar, SS (11 for 53, .208, 3 2Bs)

2. Nori Aoki, RF (2 for 11, .182 3 RBIs, 5 BBs)

3. Lorenzo Cain, CF (6 for 18, .333, 2B, HR)

4. Alex Gordon, LF (16 for 75, .213, 4 2Bs, 2 HRs, 5 RBIs, 10 BBs, 26 SOs)

5. Salvador Perez, C (14 for 33, .424, 7 2Bs, HR, 10 RBIs, 0 BBs, 6 SOs)

6. Eric Hosmer, 1B (14 for 55, .255, 4 2Bs, 3B, HR, 4BBs, 10 SOs)

7. Billy Butler, DH (34 for 82, .415, 5 2Bs, 2 HRs, 15 RBIs, 9 BBs, 12 SOs)

8. Omar Infante, 2B (2 for 17, .118, HR)

9. Mike Moustakas, 3B (8 for 47, .170, HR, 9 SOs)

GAME NOTES

-- Justin Verlander is 18-7 with a 3.23 ERA in his career against the Kansas City Royals, but he is just 2-2 with a 5.57 ERA and a 1.392 WHIP in five starts against them this season.

-- The Royals have scored just 58 runs in 16 games against the Tigers this season. That's an average of 3.6 runs per game. But Verlander has allowed 21 runs (20 earned) in five starts (32.1 IP) against the Royals this season for a 5.57 ERA.

-- James McCann will make his second major league start tonight against Royals left-hander Jason Vargas. Alex Avila sat out the series against the Minnesota Twins due to lightheadedness, but it's a bit of a surprise to see McCann get his first start over Bryan Holaday based on how hesitant Brad Ausmus has been to use McCann thus far.

-- Eugenio Suarez is making a rare start with a left-hander on the mound. Andrew Romine has started in nine of the previous 10 games.

-- The Tigers are 11-5 against the Royals this season and lead the Royals by a half-game in the Central Division standings. Whichever team wins at least two games in this series will hold the division lead come Sunday night.

-- The forecast in Kansas City calls for partly cloudy skies and temperatures in the low 70s for first pitch tonight.

I like Kelly for Castellanos because the rookie is both brutal and lacks range. But #### bringing in Carrera. His speed doesn't compensate for his poor glove or decision making.

Career high and league leading 49th double for Miggy, who now has more XB hits than last year.

VMart with his 100th RBI - 5th time in his career, first since 2011.

Suarez makes it 3-0.

Some of these shifts are ridiculous. All a left-handed hitter has to do is bunt a ball down third base line and it is a base hit.

1-3 7.61

14-6 2.55

$10M 5.10 1.57 7 BS

$7M 45 SV

3-4 4.08

1-3 1.70

Gaping hole in CF

They are disgusting.
Their record blows because so does their pitching, their offense has been much better.
I'm not even trying to bait you, the Twins ####### suck. They are one of the five worst teams in baseball, period. This would be like the 2004 Tigers winning a series vs the 2004 Twins and someone trying to tell me the Tigers were a stout team; tough opponent. No, all the Tigers fans laughed when #### like that happened because we knew they were terrible.

10 GBs, 63 pitches and two over the minimum for Verlander.

Statistically there's no such thing as clutch; it's just the random result of a small sample between two artificial data points.

Wirh that said, JV in a big game sure yields some hellacious coincidences.

Momentum doesn't carry forward in MLB, but that is a helluva statement game.
It only counts as one. Today's and tomorrow's games are just as critical. One game at a time. It was great to see everyone hitting though and that should be a big confidence-builder for JV.

KC's Remaining Schedule. (1.5 Games Back in Division)

Sep 20 Det
Sep 21 Det
Sep 22 vs Cle (Suspended game, KC trailing 4-2, middle 10th)
Sep 22 @Cle
Sep 23 @Cle
Sep 24 @Cle
Sep 25 @CHW
Sep 26 @CHW
Sep 27 @CHW
Sep 28 @CHW

Detroit's remaining schedule.

Sep 20 @ KC
Sep 21 @ KC
Sep 22 CHW
Sep 23 CHW
Sep 24 CHW
Sep 25 Min
Sep 26 Min
Sep 27 Min
Sep 28 Min

Here is where the rubber meets the road. Would be nice if Cleveland won this weekend and stayed in the wild card hunt. Minn and Sux are going to be up for being the spoiler for the Tigers. I would think Detroit should have some big crowds on hand for those last games.

That team played like the spot was too big for them last night. Not concerned. Gonna take a serious choke job this weekend for us to not take the division.

Does anyone have an idea what level the playoffs will be around October 16? Late cs/early WS? Going to be in detroit for a pearl jam show and if the tigers happen to be in town the day before or after we are opening up our wallets to go.

Kinsler was 7-47 over the last two weeks. Two hits, run, RBI tonight. Nails.
It is Kinslers defense that is blowing me away. Smooth as silk. Too bad Iggy was not healthy this year, those two would have been quite a duo up the middle.
He is by far our best infielder. Knew we getting a good hitter, he's really solid.Concerned about Al. Lingering concussion symptoms is pretty scary, there's no fixed timetable to that.

Users who are viewing this thread