What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (8 Viewers)

Doctor Detroit said:
Doctor Detroit said:
GO TRIBE!

GO JAYS!

GO ANGELS!
:thumbup:

So Tigers have to win three of four at home, versus one of the worst teams in baseball, to win their 4th straight AL Central pennant.

:shrug:
And that is the worst-case scenerio. Assuming the Royals go 3-1, two of four will likely be good enough. Most awesome case would be that this will be over tomorrow night, then the pitching staff can be well rested for game 1 against Baltimore.

Kinsler is having a very nice season. Superb defense and getting possibly 90 RBIs by your leadoff man.

Just keep thinking what a nightmare this season could have been if Shamu was still at 1B in a neck brace and Miggy gimping around at 3B all year. Really wish Romine could hit in the 260-270 range with a little more power. I like the way he plays the game.

Kinsler is having a very nice season. Superb defense and getting possibly 90 RBIs by your leadoff man.

Just keep thinking what a nightmare this season could have been if Shamu was still at 1B in a neck brace and Miggy gimping around at 3B all year. Really wish Romine could hit in the 260-270 range with a little more power. I like the way he plays the game.
Love him.

Here's a quick look at the next series for the Detroit Tigers:

Opponent: Minnesota Twins

Site: Comerica Park in Detroit

Records: Tigers, 88-70 (1st in AL Central); Twins, 68-90 (5th in AL Central)

Schedule

Thursday: RHP Max Scherzer (17-5, 3.19 ERA) vs. RHP Trevor May (3-5, 8.39 ERA), 7:08 p.m., FSD, MLB Network

Friday: RHP Rick Porcello (15-12, 3.31 ERA) vs. RHP Anthony Swarzak (3-2, 4.52 ERA), 7:08 p.m., FSD

Saturday: LHP Kyle Lobstein (1-1, 3.38 ERA) vs. RHP Ricky Nolasco (5-12, 5.47 ERA), 7:08 p.m., FSD

Sunday: LHP David Price (14-12, 3.36 ERA) vs. RHP Kyle Gibson (13-11, 4.50 ERA), 1:08 p.m., FSD

Scouting the Twins: The Tigers' magic number to win the division sits at three, which means they can clinch the AL Central with three victories this weekend, regardless of whether Kansas City wins the rest of its games. But taking three games against the pesky Twins may prove tough for the Tigers, given their struggles against them this season. The Tigers are 41-31 against AL Central teams, but they're 7-8 against the Twins, who won two of three against the Tigers in Minnesota last week and and have split six matchups at Comerica Park this season. The Twins will be looking to play spoiler this weekend, but they'll have to do it without Trevor Plouffe, who broke his left forearm Wednesday after trying to make a tag at third base. All-Star first baseman Joe Mauer, on the other hand, is expected to be back in the lineup after sitting out Wednesday with a right elbow contusion suffered when he was hit by a pitch the previous day.

Once again, Tigers will have to try to overcome their bullpen in postseasonBy Mike Axisa | Baseball Writer

September 24, 2014 9:50 pm ETJoe Nathan's shakiness threatens to undermine the Tigers in October. (USATSI)
The Tigers have officially punched their ticket to the 2014 postseason. They clinched at least a wild-card spot on Wednesday and are currently nursing a 1.5-game lead in the AL Central. They can clinch the division as soon as Friday.

Playing in October is nothing new for these Tigers. They've gone to the postseason in each of the last three years, winning at least the ALDS each time. They advanced to the ALCS all three years and won the AL pennant in 2012. Getting there hasn't been the problem, it's been finishing the job.

In each of the last three postseasons, Detroit was undone by a shaky relief corps. Their bullpen had a 4.07 ERA (second worst among playoff teams) in 24 1/3 postseason innings in 2013, a 3.90 ERA (third worst) in 32 1/3 postseason innings in 2012, and an 8.01 ERA (worst) in 39 1/3 postseason innings in 2011.

The Tigers have consistently run out a dominant rotation led by Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer as well as a powerful Miguel Cabrera-anchored lineup, but the bullpen has been their undoing in October. It threatens to undermine them yet again this year, at least if manager Brad Ausmus doesn't change his bullpen roles.

Joe Nathan was signed as a free agent to give the team a reliable veteran closer, but he has been anything but that this year. He has a 4.98 ERA and blown seven of 40 save chances. Setup men Joba Chamberlain and Al Alburquerque own 3.67 and 3.81 ERAs, respectively. Nathan, Chamberlain and Alburquerque have combined for a 1.44 WHIP, which is way, way too high for late-inning relievers.

Luckily, the Tigers have a ready-made replacement for Nathan in trade deadline pickup Joakim Soria. His 3.32 ERA is inflated by one disaster outing soon after the trade (four runs in 1/3 inning), but otherwise he's allowed just four runs in his last 15 1/3 innings (2.35 ERA). Soria is 18-for-20 in save chances as well, mostly with the Rangers. He has been, by far, more effective than Nathan this season.

The Tigers also welcomed starter Anibal Sanchez off the disabled list earlier this week, though he returned as a reliever rather because there simply isn't enough time left in the season to get him stretched out. He has been quiet effective this year before getting hurt and throughout his entire career really, and he could be even better airing it out in short relief outings. Think Tim Lincecum in the 2012 postseason.

If Ausmus is going to stick with Nathan as his closer in the postseason, it feels inevitable that he will blow a big save at some point. Remember, he had a knack for postseason meltdowns back when he was an elite closer (9.00 ERA and 1-for-3 in playoff save chances). Now he's a bad reliever with that same knack for big game meltdowns. Nothing Nathan has done this year should give the Tigers confidence in him.

For the Tigers to be at their best and most dangerous in the postseason, Ausmus should be willing to use Sanchez as his setup man -- perhaps for two or three innings at a time, depending on the situation -- and Soria as his closer. That is clearly their best high-leverage bullpen setup. Nathan with Chamberlain and Alburquerque in late-inning spots will likely only result in more postseason disappointment.

After 158 Ganes of Stubbornly Sticking with Nathan, Aumus Announces Soria will be the Postseason Closer

said no headline ever

After 158 Ganes of Stubbornly Sticking with Nathan, Aumus Announces Soria will be the Postseason Closer

said no headline ever
I could almost root for Nathan to lose a 2-run lead tonight just so that happens and take my chances at still winnning the division with the last three games. Anything can happen in the post season, but Nathan is by far the most likily cause of any post season failure.

This is the 179th day of the season. Nathan has been the closer for 179 days. What would make anyone think Ausmus is going to switch horses mid-stream? It's not happening.

Whether it should or not isn't the issue. He won't do it. Nathan blew a save day 2, the first of three crappy outings in a row. He kept his closer job when his ERA was 7.04 in June. He kept his job even though he's been shaky in 15 of his last 19 relief appearances and Soria was on roster.

said no headline ever
I could almost root for Nathan to lose a 2-run lead tonight just so that happens and take my chances at still winnning the division with the last three games. Anything can happen in the post season, but Nathan is by far the most likily cause of any post season failure.
:lmao:

Unless Nathan Ausmus has an aneurysm in the next four days, he'll be the closer for the playoffs.

Nathan blew a save the 2nd game of the season - first of three straight crappy outings - and kept his job. He kept his role when his ERA was 7.04 - in June. He has kept his job for 8 weeks after we traded for Soria, even though he's continued to allow hits and walks in 80% of his appearances and blown saves with regularity.

You think one or two more blown saves over the next four days will cause Ausmus to switch closers after sticking with him for 179 days? You are not in touch with reality. It ain't happening.

GAME INFORMATION
Who:
Detroit Tigers (88-70, 1st in AL Central) vs. Minnesota Twins (68-90, 5th in AL Central, 20 games behind Detroit)
When: 7:08 p.m.
Where: Comerica Park in Detroit
TV: Fox Sports Detroit, MLB Network
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket and the Detroit Tigers radio network

STARTING PITCHERS

Detroit Tigers
RHP Max Scherzer (17-5, 3.19 ERA)
Lifetime vs. Twins: 8-2, 4.53 ERA

Minnesota Twins
RHP Trevor May (3-5, 8.39 ERA)
Lifetime vs. Tigers: 0-1, 8.44 ERA

STARTING LINEUPS
(Statistics vs. opposing starter in parentheses)

Detroit Tigers

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B (1 for 3)
2. Torii Hunter, RF (2 for 3)
3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B (0 for 3)
4. Victor Martinez, DH (2 for 3)
5. J.D. Martinez, LF (2 for 3)
6. Nick Castellanos, 3B (1 for 3)
7. Alex Avila, C
8. Eugenio Suarez, SS (1 for 3)
9. Rajai Davis, CF (0 for 2)

Minnesota Twins

1. Danny Santana, SS (4 for 9)
2. Brian Dozier, 2B (2 for 15, 1 HR)
3. Joe Mauer, 1B (9 for 34, 1 HR)
4. Kennys Vargas, DH (3 for 6)
5. Oswaldo Arcia, RF (3 for 9, 1 HR)
6. Kurt Suzuki, C (4 for 10, 1 HR)
7. Chris Herrmann, LF (0 for 2)
8. Aaron Hicks, CF (0 for 7)
9. Eduardo Escobar, 3B (2 for 10)

GAME NOTES

-- Max Scherzer, today's starter, will be making his final regular-season start this season. He's 2-0 in three starts against the Twins this season with a 5.00 ERA.

-- Twins starter Trevor May was tagged for seven runs on eight hits in just 4 2/3 innings on Saturday. He owns a 8.39 ERA and a 1.89 WHIP in eight starts.

-- Twins third baseman Trevor Plouffe will miss this series and the rest of the season after he broke his left forearm Wednesday while trying to make a tag at third base.

-- Twins first baseman Joe Mauer is back in the lineup after sitting out Wednesday with a right elbow contusion suffered when he was hit by a pitch the previous day.

-- The Tigers own a two-game lead over the second-place Royals in the AL Central Division with four games remaining in the regular season. They've two straight, but are 7-8 against the Twins this season, including 3-3 at home.

-- Detroit's magic number to clinch the division is down to three. The magic number represents the combination of wins by the leading team and losses by the second-place (or tied) team that would clinch the division title.

-- The forecast in Detroit tonight calls for partly cloudy skies with temperatures slowly falling to near 62 degrees. No rain is expected tonight.

jon_mx said:

said no headline ever
Well we got the two run lead.

So I believe the A's loss means at worst the Tigers will get the wildcard at home. Scherzer would be ready on normal rest if that heppened.

Still two, Royals are a resilient bunch for sure.

So I believe the A's loss means at worst the Tigers will get the wildcard at home. Scherzer would be ready on normal rest if that heppened.

Still two, Royals are a resilient bunch for sure.
No doubt the Royals are a tough ball team, despite not being the most talented. They just win. If the Tigers are lucky, the Royals may lose one of their last three. But not something to count on.

KC's Remaining Schedule. (1.5 Games Back in Division)

Sep 20 Det
Sep 21 Det
Sep 22 vs Cle (Suspended game, KC trailing 4-2, middle 10th) - L
Sep 22 @Cle - W
Sep 23 @Cle - W
Sep 24 @Cle - L
Sep 25 @CHW - W
Sep 26 @CHW
Sep 27 @CHW
Sep 28 @CHW

Detroit's remaining schedule.

Sep 20 @ KC
Sep 21 @ KC
Sep 22 CHW - L
Sep 23 CHW - W
Sep 24 CHW - W
Sep 25 Min - W
Sep 26 Min
Sep 27 Min
Sep 28 Min

Here is where the rubber meets the road. Would be nice if Cleveland won this weekend and stayed in the wild card hunt. Minn and Sux are going to be up for being the spoiler for the Tigers. I would think Detroit should have some big crowds on hand for those last games.
Magic Number is SEVEN TWO.............

Anyone else get the feeling this is the year? So many injuries and just crappy play in general, but here they are at the end of the year and Verlander and Cabrera look like they have turned on the switch. Both Martinez's are having great years and Sanchez looks like he will be back and be the missing link in the pen. Baseball is a funny game.

Are they actually going to let Sanchez pitch in a game? Brought in three relievers, including Soria for the 2nd straight day, and they can't give just one of those innings to Sanchez?

Are they actually going to let Sanchez pitch in a game? Brought in three relievers, including Soria for the 2nd straight day, and they can't give just one of those innings to Sanchez?
They will let Sanchez pitch in a non-crucial situation. Maybe if they clinch or are in a one-sided game.

Anyone else get the feeling this is the year? So many injuries and just crappy play in general, but here they are at the end of the year and Verlander and Cabrera look like they have turned on the switch. Both Martinez's are having great years and Sanchez looks like he will be back and be the missing link in the pen. Baseball is a funny game.
They have a lot of potential to make a run, but there are also a lot of things which could derail them. If I were betting on the WS right now, I would pick the Nationals over the Orioles in 6.

Anyone else get the feeling this is the year? So many injuries and just crappy play in general...
I thought last year' a team was generally more sloppy but the starting pitching was also better. I like a potential matchup with Baltimore, but I think the angels would be a hell matchup if it came to that.

Angels will be tough, if we do get that far. But I'll never count out the Tigers with Max, JV, and Price capable of throwing a gem every time out. Hopefully they can shore up the back end with Porcello, Sanchez, and Soria.

They have a lot of potential to make a run, but there are also a lot of things which could derail them. If I were betting on the WS right now, I would pick the Nationals over the Orioles in 6.
Nats over the Tigers in 7. Doug Fister pulls a Mickey Lolich and wins 3 games including game 7 on 2 days rest.

The last time Porcello won a game was exactly 30 days ago on my birthday. I feel like it's all my fault. :cry:

GAME INFORMATION

Who: Detroit Tigers (89-70, 1st in AL Central) vs. Minnesota Twins (68-91, 5th in AL Central, 21 games behind Detroit)

When: 7:08 p.m.

Where: Comerica Park in Detroit

TV: Fox Sports Detroit

Radio: 97.1 The Ticket and the Detroit Tigers radio network

STARTING PITCHERS

Detroit Tigers

RHP Rick Porcello (15-12, 3.31 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Twins: 8-6, 3.74 ERA

Minnesota Twins

RHP Anthony Swarzak (3-2, 4.52 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Tigers: 2-2, 5.83 ERA

STARTING LINEUPS

(Statistics vs. opposing starter in parentheses)

Detroit Tigers

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B (7 for 19, 1 HR)

2. Torii Hunter, RF (3 for 18)

3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B (8 for 22, 2 HR)

4. Victor Martinez, DH (4 for 17)

5. J.D. Martinez, LF (4 for 4)

6. Nick Castellanos, 3B (1 for 7)

7. Alex Avila, C (3 for 14, 1 HR)

8. Andrew Romine, SS (2 for 6)

9. Rajai Davis, CF (5 for 11)

Minnesota Twins

Not available yet.

GAME NOTES

-- In order to clinch the AL Central Division tonight, the Tigers need to defeat the Twins and they need the Chicago White Sox to beat the Royals. First pitch between Detroit and Minnesota is scheduled an hour before Kansas City's game.

-- The Tigers own a two-game lead over the second-place Royals in the AL Central Division with four games remaining in the regular season. They've three straight, and have split 16 games with the Twins this season.

-- Detroit's magic number to clinch the division is down to two. The magic number represents the combination of wins by the leading team and losses by the second-place (or tied) team that would clinch the division title.

-- Victor Martinez hit a two-run homer in the first inning Thursday to extend his career high to 32. He's 21 for 40 with three home runs, five doubles and 11 RBIs in his last 10 games against the Twins.

-- Rick Porcello, today's starter, leads the American League with three shutouts, but has had a rough September. He's 0-4 with a 4.88 ERA in his last five starts. He's 1-0 with a 4.05 ERA in three starts against Minnesota this season.

-- Twins right-hander Anthony Swarzak will make his third straight start in place of the Tommy Milone. Swarzak has allowed 11 runs over 8 2/3 innings in his last two starts. He gave up six runs and 11 hits in 4 1/3 innings against the Tigers earlier this month.

-- The Royals hold a one-game lead over the Oakland Athletics for the first wild-card spot. The Athletics hold a two-game lead over the Seattle Mariners for the second wild card spot.

-- The forecast in Detroit tonight calls for sunny skies with temperatures slowly falling to near 63 degrees. No rain is expected tonight.

Really dont trust Rick at all. If we do clinch the Central I hope to not see him at all in the DS and only once if we make any series beyond that.

Really dont trust Rick at all. If we do clinch the Central I hope to not see him at all in the DS and only once if we make any series beyond that.
Well it's easy to say that now because he's been ####ty the last few starts. Guy was the most consistent pitcher most of the year though, but he's leaving everything up at the moment. Sanchez is not going to be stretched out, them not going to him tonight speaks volumes.

Porcello is the #4, he needs to figure out what the issue is. Verlander would pitch a division tie break game which seems very possible given the White Sox won't be throwing Sale this weekend.

Well it's easy to say that now because he's been ####ty the last few starts. Guy was the most consistent pitcher most of the year though, but he's leaving everything up at the moment. Sanchez is not going to be stretched out, them not going to him tonight speaks volumes.

Porcello is the #4, he needs to figure out what the issue is. Verlander would pitch a division tie break game which seems very possible given the White Sox won't be throwing Sale this weekend.
I've never been a big fan of Porcello. He did have a nice season and I am not a Fister apologist. I prefer strikeout pitchers to guys who pitch to contact for the reasons we are seeing right now. The blow up vs. the Sox last year keeps repeating in my mind. I blamed Leyland for that mostly because Porcello should never have been put in a situation he hadn't been in as a pro. No team is perfect but I wish the staff was pumping on all cylinders heading into it.

Porcello is currently 23rd among starters in WAR, he's a pretty good #4.

Fun fact, here are a list of guys with a higher WAR than Doug Fister this year:

Porcello

Verlander

Smyly

Tanner Roark

Vidal Nuno

Clay Buchholtz

JA Happ

Bartolo Colon

Homeless Guy

Scott Feldman

AJ Burnett

and 80 other starting pitchers

On the plus side, at least the price tag for re-signing Porcello has become more reasonable.
200 IP with the 23rd highest WAR who is only 26 next year? Doubt it.
We will see. For whatever reason, despite being a solid starter, he just does not seem to draw much interest in the marketplace. The Tigers have been shopping Rick for a couple years and never received much interest.
I'm not sure this is true at all. They were certainly more willing to trade Fister than Porcello, and for good reason IMO. This year has proved it really.

So as near as I can figure out this is how Ausmus has pitching set up

If there is a game 163 it will be Verlander

If there is a wildcard game: It will be Scherzer

If they won a wildcard game: It would be Verlander/Price/Scherzer/Porcello/Verlander

If they win division: Scherzer/Price/Verlander/Porcello/Scherzer

Users who are viewing this thread