What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (5 Viewers)

Plagiarized from BBTF

In 2017, the Tigers will pay $109 million for Victor Martinez (age 38), Verlander (34), Cabrera (34), Sanchez (33), Kinsler (34), and Fielder (not on the team).

Last edited by a moderator:
Plagiarized from BBTF

In 2017, the Tigers will pay $109 million for Victor Martinez (age 38), Verlander (34), Cabrera (34), Sanchez (33), Kinsler (34), and Fielder (not on the team).
Good thing a billionaire owns the team.
Better use of money than waiting for the estate tax I guess.
Or waiting to die.
we all are. some of us are just closer to the head of the line.

The logical side of me says we'll regret this one. Seattle or White Sox would have coughed up a pick and there were ample bats that could have filled in at DH and a significant upgrade in one of the corner OF spots could have covered the loss.

Edit to add: My fear is we turn into the Phillies but sans the rings. We still have cornerstones in their prime I'm not sure VMart is that entering age 36. Then again Edgar Martinez hit well into his 40's and so has David Ortiz.

The logical side of me says we'll regret this one. Seattle or White Sox would have coughed up a pick and there were ample bats that could have filled in at DH and a significant upgrade in one of the corner OF spots could have covered the loss.
Or you could still upgrade the corner OF spot and keep him. Right now without VMart your best LH hitter is Avila.

On the other hand, Paul Konerko had a career year at age 34, had two solid years after that and was then sucked into a hole.

Bojang0301 said:

Edit to add: My fear is we turn into the Phillies but sans the rings. We still have cornerstones in their prime I'm not sure VMart is that entering age 36. Then again Edgar Martinez hit well into his 40's and so has David Ortiz.
Dave Dombrowski is WAY better than Ruben Amaro.

They can probably trade VMART after '16 and get a decent return for him. He won't replicate the power numbers he had this year, but there probably only a handful of better hitters in baseball. He'll hit, I'm not worried about that.

And I honestly don't have any issue with any of their big contracts unless Verlander continues to stink, which I don't think will be the case.

Mr I is one of the ten richest owners in sports, let him spend. ETA: Illitch bought the Tigers for $82 million, they are now worth upwards of $1 billion. He has reinvested a lot of that in the team but he's made money off owning a baseball team, so if he wants VMART back then it's fine with me. Tigers could spend a lot worse IMO.

Mr I is one of the ten richest owners in sports, let him spend. ETA: Illitch bought the Tigers for $82 million, they are now worth upwards of $1 billion. He has reinvested a lot of that in the team but he's made money off owning a baseball team, so if he wants VMART back then it's fine with me. Tigers could spend a lot worse IMO.
Good point. He's laughing all the way to the bank. Of course, it's not about the money for him ...but with big crowds and postseason appearances, he's probably doing fine on an annual basis. Plus he has that increase in the value. And above all that, this is a heck of a ride, though it'd be nice a ring or two.

Tigers trade #1 prospect Devon Travis for Blue Jays OFer Anthony Gose.

Travis is blocked at 2B obviously, and they needed an OFer...but Anthony Gose? He had a .293 slugging percentage last year. :lmao:

And I'm not surprised nor angry they traded Travis, he's gonna be 24 and they had him playing the OF late in the season because he just wasn't going to be playing 2B in Detroit. Detroit also has Leyba who has a higher ceiling, Hernan and Suarez. So they didn't need him and I actually like trading him at his perceived high value.

Gose is actually just six months older than Travis and I love the way he plays RF and he has to be one of the fastest guys in the majors. But the guy can barely hit, and he has zero power. He does have a history of taking walks so if he hits .250 and returns a .320 OBP or so, he'll probably be a valuable guy because of his defense and speed.

But that really is a big if. Seems like they could have gotten more for Travis, at least a lifetime supply of Tim Horton's or something.

And I'm not surprised nor angry they traded Travis, he's gonna be 24 and they had him playing the OF late in the season because he just wasn't going to be playing 2B in Detroit. Detroit also has Leyba who has a higher ceiling, Hernan and Suarez. So they didn't need him and I actually like trading him at his perceived high value.

Gose is actually just six months older than Travis and I love the way he plays RF and he has to be one of the fastest guys in the majors. But the guy can barely hit, and he has zero power. He does have a history of taking walks so if he hits .250 and returns a .320 OBP or so, he'll probably be a valuable guy because of his defense and speed.

But that really is a big if. Seems like they could have gotten more for Travis, at least a lifetime supply of Tim Horton's or something.
I don't get it. At all.

But in Dave we trust.

Our outfield blew before that trade for Gose. The 7th, 8th, and 9th inning with a lead just got much better. It'll allow us to use him as strictly a pinch runner too. Always difficult to do that with Rajai because once that card was played there was no more speed on the bench. If he started then there was no card to play at all.

Could Jhonny hook him up with some roids?

Sounds like they just should have shifted Andy Romine to RF and had pretty much the same thing.

Sounds like they are mostly concerned with defense at CF/SS which I'm ok with. The weak bats will fustrate people but like DD said if Iglesias/Gose can hit .250 it should balance out.

Anyone like the idea of an Avila for Gattis trade? Throw him in LF, play McCann at C.
Wasn't Gattis a disaster in LF?
Wasn't Torri a disaster in RF?

Could make a play for Heyward I suppose. I don't know they have the pieces for that deal but that would really be putting it all on next year.
Not on board with that justification. If you're bad in one area don't make a move to remain bad in that area; get better.

Never say never on deals, but the last team a thin team should be doing is getting even leaner and targeting someone like Heyward would be doing just that. Fill the cracks in the foundation before trying to make an addition.

Eephus said:
Plagiarized from BBTF

Tigers might as well re sign max, when you can afford to pay 17m a year for a DH, why not open up the check book for Max. I like the VM signing you are paying him for what he did this year, and he be great for at least two more years

Andy Miller has drawn interest from 22 teams so far. So the price of poker is going up.
I'm not holding my breath at this one. Hard to pay a non closing reliever like a foundation player.
As true as this is, Tigers have enough of a hole in the bullpen where maybe need trumps logic.
What are the odds of Joe Nathan retiring???
Maybe he'll retire early if we all chip in for a present.

This is surprising:

Tigers To Re-Sign Joel HanrahanBy Steve Adams [November 14, 2014 at 11:00am CST]
The Tigers have agreed to re-signed right-hander Joel Hanrahan to a one-year, $1MM Major League contract with an additional $2.5MM available via incentives, reports Bob Nightengale of USA Today (Twitter link).

This is surprising:

Tigers To Re-Sign Joel HanrahanBy Steve Adams [November 14, 2014 at 11:00am CST]
The Tigers have agreed to re-signed right-hander Joel Hanrahan to a one-year, $1MM Major League contract with an additional $2.5MM available via incentives, reports Bob Nightengale of USA Today (Twitter link).
I like it... just throw #### at the wall. Wouldn't mind if Johnson came back too to see if he can regain form.

This is surprising:

I like it... just throw #### at the wall. Wouldn't mind if Johnson came back too to see if he can regain form.
And I don't think that original report is correct. I think its a minor league contract. Which means if he doesn't make the team, they won't even owe the $1mm.

This is surprising:

And I don't think that original report is correct. I think its a minor league contract. Which means if he doesn't make the team, they won't even owe the $1mm.
Making it awesome. Love that.

Andy Miller has drawn interest from 22 teams so far. So the price of poker is going up.
I'm not holding my breath at this one. Hard to pay a non closing reliever like a foundation player.
As true as this is, Tigers have enough of a hole in the bullpen where maybe need trumps logic.
RETIRE :o , I think he's looking for an extension from the Tigers, he is low mileage

RETIRE :o , I think he's looking for an extension from the Tigers, he is low mileage
I think Joe would like to retire back as a Twin, seems only fitting.

Tigers not bringing Hunter back. They might have brought him back on a one year deal but Hunters agent says that Hunter thinks he can play 3-4 more years and wants to play full time. Good-Bye....

Heard DD talking after the Hanrahan singing and he says they will be looking at Rondon and Hanrahan as closers. Makes me think they might be cutting bait on Nathan.

Users who are viewing this thread