Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

RB Carlos Hyde, JAC

Buy low in dyno??

Why?

Why not?
Because the asking price is going to be about double what he's actually worth (about a 3rd round pick).
You seriously think Hyde is only worth a third round rookie pick? The rb landscape is pretty barren, and he's a young rb who's shown flashes and appears to have the job to himself once he's healthy.

His issues so far have been opportunity (behind gore), the team (which has improved a bit just by having a year together after all that turnover), and a stress fracture in his foot.

It's easy to say San Francisco is going to hold him back. He's not a transcendent talent like Peterson or Tomlinson who can take over a bad team and be a 10 year stud. But he's got the starting job and he didn't cede touches early. And after watching guys like devonta freeman, Chris ivory, Jonathan Stewart, dion Lewis, Darren McFadden, mark Ingram and deangelo Williams blow up this year, I'd think the lesson learned is that guys with the opportunity to start can out perform expectations quickly, and young guys with talent AND opportunity can quickly go from afterthought to untouchable stud.

I would gladly give a mid first for Hyde right now, and I'm not even a huge fan. A late first would probably get him from a lot of owners especially when it's on the clock. Those are the deals that can pay dividends because even if he's not awesome in 2016, you might be able to sell him for a late first again the following season to someone who still believes, and if he has a couple good weeks, you might be able to flip him for a huge payday.

• Like 1

Wait a minute. I forgot. I think you only play in those insanely unbalanced ppr dynasties where you can start 5 wrs and only have to stay one rb. Those leagues favor wr30 over rb10. Your dynasty valuations are always way off for rbs but in that format I understand it. I don't ever want to play in one of those leagues, but I get where you're coming from.

Wait a minute. I forgot. I think you only play in those insanely unbalanced ppr dynasties where you can start 5 wrs and only have to stay one rb. Those leagues favor wr30 over rb10. Your dynasty valuations are always way off for rbs but in that format I understand it. I don't ever want to play in one of those leagues, but I get where you're coming from.

2nd round, tops. He's a middling talent on a bad team and hasn't shown anything in 2 years.

Edited by tangfoot

2nd round, tops. He's a middling talent on a bad team and hasn't shown anything in 2 years.

Seems like a good talent on a bad team to me. Maybe his situation changes some. Maybe it doesn't.

Right, but you're talking specifically about ppr dynasty where you can start 5 wrs and just 1 rb. In most formats a top 25 dynasty at a premier position like rb is worth a top 25 rookie pick. You just play in leagues that massively overcompensated during the stud rb era and made mid tier running backs next to worthless.

You should mention that when you talk about what you think running backs are worth because it's probably right for your leagues but it's totally skewed from what people in most other formats think.

He hasn't shown anything?

• 1 month later...

The rumors of Hue Jackson being the front runner for the 49ers HC job has me excited for Hyde. That's as good as it gets for a power back.

Agreed- don't want Chip there.

Ugh, exactly what I didn't want to see. He could still be good there, but he could just as easily be worthless.

He will fit his system about as well as Murray did. He needs a McCoy type. Someone good and right to left. Reggie? Rookie?

Edited by dirtyjay

The rumors of Hue Jackson being the front runner for the 49ers HC job has me excited for Hyde. That's as good as it gets for a power back.

Agreed- don't want Chip there.

Ugh, exactly what I didn't want to see. He could still be good there, but he could just as easily be worthless.

He will fit his system about as well as Murray did. He needs a McCoy type. Someone good and right to left. Reggie? Rookie?

Except if you actually look at the offense Chip ran his first 2 seasons it wasn't the same as it was last year and the changes came when they lost both OG's before the start of the season. Instead of basing the run game off their ability to run between the guards they went to a more lateral off-tackle run game this past season. So really basing Hyde's value off what happened this year with Murray in PHI isn't something I would do and we will just have to see how it plays out.

I think Chip is intelligent, far more than most fans give him credit for.

I imagine he's reflected on what he did well and what he didn't do well in Philly. I have to guess he thinks he handled the RBs wrong.

He's awfully creative. To have him pegged as only being able to utilize a certain type of back doesn't fit for me.

I feel like Philly fans have been doing this since Reid. I remember an excellent rushing year with buckhalter, westbrook, and a third (garner?) when everyone thought they had a type and system. I don't think Reid was as vanilla as people thought when West and Ware came in. Ware is nothing like Charles. Feel free to fill in all the Reid backs in-between.

I bring up Reid because it was no different for Kelly in Philly, same reactions, same words.

Bryce Brown, McCoy, Murray, and Matthews all ran for 100 yard games under Chip and yet couldn't seem more different style backs and just the same everyone is saying he has a type.

I really think this might be a Philly thing and not a Reid or Kelly thing.

I wouldn't in any way give up on Hyde. I'll be trading for him if the talk in this thread matches my leagues, geesh I'll get him for next to nothing. I generally ignore backs on bad teams but you guys will sway me to make a move in FF.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The Kelly-coached RB workload history (and Hyde's beasting, at times, when healthy last year) has me seriously considering him as a keeper candidate. I hope he can show during training camp that the foot won't be an issue.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on him

Edited by Coach3K
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

In the article above Chip says Hyde is 100% right now.

Hyde could be pretty awesome with Chip Kelly.

The flux of this teams organization has me nervous and staying away, but if Hyde can stay healthy he could have a lot of volume this year.

Totally agree 

• 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Faust said:

This is what us Hyde dynasty owners like to hear:

Running backs coach Tom Rathman expects Hyde to flourish in Kelly’s system.

“I think he’s going to eat it up,” Rathman said. “If you look at some of the runners that they had in Philly -- Shady McCoy -- the production that he’s had. I see the same with Carlos.”

With Hyde's experience at tOSU running a similar-ish style offense, I think he surprises this year if he stays healthy. Combined with his lost weight, new training regimen (I know that's cliche), and his intended involvement in the passing game. I see him as a cheap RB1.  Cheap right now but in dynasty leagues I see him as a great buy low with the focus on the fact that his handcuff situation is kind of foggy.

I LOVE Hyde in this system. If he's able to stay healthy I see a top 5 upside pretty easy. 

Hes locked into a focal point of Chip Kelly's offense. Eagles offense was a mess last year with 3 backs splitting time and QB WR issues. 

If you consider the first two seasons with shady this is what I envision. Hyde is a stud and has shown flashes. It sounds as if he's taking the ball and running with this opportunity. 

Edited by T.Rex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Carlos Hyde rushed four times for 30 yards in the 49ers' third preseason game.

If the Niners put Hyde on ice for the preseason finale, he'll finish August with 85 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries (5.67 YPC). Hyde ripped off a 27-yard run on Friday night, setting up Quinton Patton's three-yard TD. Hyde managed three yards on his other four runs. Hyde is locked in as San Francisco's bellcow back. We'll be interested to see whether the 49ers' ineptitude cuts into Hyde's fantasy production. He's got plenty of ability in his own right.

Aug 27 - 12:43 AM

1 hour ago, DerbyDad said:

How much do you think the concussion will affect his draft rank? I have a draft tomorrow and would like to get him but what do you think this does if anything to his ranking?

As far as I know he doesn't have a history of concussions. He has two weeks to heal up which should be enough time assuming he moves through protocol at an average pace. Concussions are like fingerprints however, unique to every person.

I really was planning to draft Hyde everywhere (going back to the well even) since he represents good value at his current ADP. He's undoubtedly talented and is going to be used in every facet of the game. In the past the knock on Hyde was the fact that he gets killed by negative game flow but with Kelly that's not going to be a problem.

He just might not last though. I feel like there's a lot of variance in picking him. I'm either going to get a RB1 or it's going to be a completely wasted pick. Maybe it's safer to assume ill get 13 from him.

I don't think the handcuff situation is very clear either. From a talent perspective Draughn is a journeyman and a JAG. Despite that, he's a hard worker and I've been impressed with what he's done when forced into an expanded role in SF. The reason I don't believe the cuff situation is clear however is because Mike Davis looks like a completely different player this year. I don't know if he dropped weight or what but he looks quick and explosive. He's had an up and down preseason, but I think he's shown enough that he would get legitimate reg season work in the event Hyde were to go down. In the absence of Hyde, this turns into a RBBC. I don't like that I there isn't a no-brainer cuff in this situation.

49ers coach Chip Kelly said Carlos Hyde is still in the concussion protocol but is on track for Week 1.

It is concerning after Hyde was just a step from completing the protocol last week. That said, his Week 1 status will not seriously come into question unless he misses Wednesday's session. Shaun Draughn would be in line to start if Hyde cannot suit up.

Sep 3 - 5:32 PM

15 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

So with Hyde still in concussion protocol and facing a usually stiff Rams defense what are we thinking for him this week. He had a huge game to kick off the year last year and now should have an improved offense but I really am struggling to have a ton of confidence in him this year.

Leaning towards ware over him this week in standard.

37 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

So with Hyde still in concussion protocol and facing a usually stiff Rams defense what are we thinking for him this week. He had a huge game to kick off the year last year and now should have an improved offense but I really am struggling to have a ton of confidence in him this year.

The fact that he's playing in the late Monday Night game - which means if he somehow misses the game the options would be extremely thin - leads me to thinking he's going to be on my bench in any league where I have better options.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

The fact that he's playing in the late Monday Night game - which means if he somehow misses the game the options would be extremely thin - leads me to thinking he's going to be on my bench in any league where I have better options.

If you rostered Draughn, you're covered.

Edited by Ojaays
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

I'm too nervous. I'm starting Langford instead. Playing on Monday night clinched it for me. It will be too late to sub him out if something comes up. 

• Joe Bryant changed the title to RB Carlos Hyde, JAC