What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Carlos Hyde, JAC (2 Viewers)

So Hyde is still the RB1, and he'll have to "fend off" his competitors.  Oh, you mean like every RB in the league? Gee, thanks.
I'm not saying Hyde will lose the starting job, but do you think Bell, Elliot, Johnson, McCoy, Gurley, Gordon, Miller, Howard, Ajayi, Crowell, Lynch, and Fournette (among others) are being asked to "fend off" the other backs on the roster?

If it truly is an open completion in camp that is newsworthy. Hyde should be able to "fend off" the rookies and the mediocre veterans but it's telling that the new staff isn't looking at him as the starter heading into camp.

No, it doesn't.  

Also, people are acting like the 4th round is the 1st or 2nd round.  Joe Williams could end up being good, that is a possibility.  But it's just as likely that he'll flop or not pass Hyde, who has proven that he can perform on the NFL level.

All this "news" before camp starts is really just reporters' opinions because they have to print something and all they have is that Hyde is learning a new system, and that Shanahan wanted a 4th round RB.  Wait until training camp, that's when the real news will come out because teams will actually be doing things.
That's where I'm at with this "situation".  It would mean a lot more IMO if the 49ers had traded up in the 1st (not really possible this year) or 2nd to take a RB.  If they had traded up to pick 31 and instead of taking Foster they took Cook or Mixon I'd be quite concerned about Hyde's role and the coach's perception of his future.  But trading up in the 4th to take the 11th RB?  Sure it's possible for Joe to earn the job and be the guy Kyle wants in that role, maybe even become the GOAT.  But the odds aren't in his favor.  

I'm not saying Hyde will lose the starting job, but do you think Bell, Elliot, Johnson, McCoy, Gurley, Gordon, Miller, Howard, Ajayi, Crowell, Lynch, and Fournette (among others) are being asked to "fend off" the other backs on the roster?

If it truly is an open completion in camp that is newsworthy. Hyde should be able to "fend off" the rookies and the mediocre veterans but it's telling that the new staff isn't looking at him as the starter heading into camp.
:shrug:   many coaches say every job is an open competition.  Frankly they should be in competition.  The best players aren't going to lose their jobs and they aren't really in jeopardy, but it wouldn't shock me if the last 6 guys on your list got fewer carries than Hyde this year.  

:shrug:   many coaches say every job is an open competition.   
Other than Fournette who is getting "lip service" of having to compete (because he's a rookie, but does anyone believe it?) have you heard any of those RBs head coaches say that they will be competing in camp to be the starter?

Other than Fournette who is getting "lip service" of having to compete (because he's a rookie, but does anyone believe it?) have you heard any of those RBs head coaches say that they will be competing in camp to be the starter?
honestly, I don't pay much attention to these comments but I remember hearing them all too often (which is why they mean nothing IMO).  A quick search from the Bills: 

"Competition is there," McDermott said Saturday, per ESPN.com. "You earn the right to start on this football team."

He added: "Nothing is promised to anyone. We're going to compete every day. [Even] I've got to earn my spot. You guys have heard me say that before."
now, that comment was made in reference to Ty Taylor, but he says it applies to everyone. 

Hyde has every reason to put it together this year. He had a summer of recovery, and his team has improved this year. Best of all he actually has some quality receiver on the team this year who will keep 8 out of the box. This man needs to prefer or not get paid this year. I expect a career year and a nice extension mid-season. 

honestly, I don't pay much attention to these comments but I remember hearing them all too often (which is why they mean nothing IMO).  A quick search from the Bills: 

now, that comment was made in reference to Ty Taylor, but he says it applies to everyone. 
So? At best that's generic coach speak - that's not what I asked for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it significant that the coach has the name Shanahan? These ZBS guys have their own ideas about running backs that none of us can figure out and they have a history of showing no loyalty. Here we have a back somebody else took. Would anybody be surpised if this 4th round pick took over?

Is it significant that the coach has the name Shanahan? These ZBS guys have their own ideas about running backs that none of us can figure out and they have a history of showing no loyalty. Here we have a back somebody else took. Would anybody be surpised if this 4th round pick took over?
Yes, because Hyde when healthy is the best back on the team. Given the improved receivers on this squad to keep the defense honest and a solid QB who can distribute the ball, I think 1300 yards (rushing and receiving) and 8-10 TD's are coming for Hyde if he keeps out of the trainers office. 

It's a snarky counter argument. It's subtle though.

You're opinion about the best running back on SF ranks a distant second to Kyle Shanahan's opinion. History shows nobody really knows what a Shanahan thinks. Have you heard of the term Shanahanigans?

I don't read too much into coach comments unless they are negative, but Shanahan had glowing praise for Hyde. He said scheme doesn't matter and a good RB can play in any scheme. He said the NFL hasn't seen everything Hyde can do yet. 

It's a snarky counter argument. It's subtle though.

You're opinion about the best running back on SF ranks a distant second to Kyle Shanahan's opinion. History shows nobody really knows what a Shanahan thinks. Have you heard of the term Shanahanigans?
yes, that applies to his father....does everything your father did apply to you? Clearly you have an agenda. Hyde averages 4.3 a carry and is the best back on the team until it is proven otherwise. He did that with no receivers to threaten the defense and horrible QB play. He can only improve. 

I don't read too much into coach comments unless they are negative, but Shanahan had glowing praise for Hyde. He said scheme doesn't matter and a good RB can play in any scheme. He said the NFL hasn't seen everything Hyde can do yet. 
I was referring to this:

Tool said:
Rotoworld) CSN Bay Area believes Carlos Hyde will have to compete for the 49ers' starting job. Analysis: Longtime beat writer Matt Maiocco has seen what everybody else has, reasoning Hyde's injury history, contract status and unfamiliarity with new coach Kyle Shanahan's system has him on the defensive. Maiocco also believes it's noteworthy how hard Shanahan went after fourth-rounder Joe Williams in the draft. Maiocco expects a committee to develop even if Hyde is christened "starter." Tim Hightower is in the mix with Hyde and Williams.

ETA: personally i disagree with this but I admittedly own Hyde so maybe my judgement is clouded.
I'm not trying to say to avoid Hyde, but something like this worries me a little when it comes to a Shanahan. Pretty sure Kyle was the OC who replaced Steve Slaton, following a 1500 yfs season, with UDFA Arian Foster. No loyalty. It makes me feel better that coach had good things to say about Hyde though.

I was referring to this:

I'm not trying to say to avoid Hyde, but something like this worries me a little when it comes to a Shanahan. Pretty sure Kyle was the OC who replaced Steve Slaton, following a 1500 yfs season, with UDFA Arian Foster.
hmmmm i think that was the right choice :)

It's Hyde's job till he is hurt or out-performed. 

I was referring to this:

I'm not trying to say to avoid Hyde, but something like this worries me a little when it comes to a Shanahan. Pretty sure Kyle was the OC who replaced Steve Slaton, following a 1500 yfs season, with UDFA Arian Foster. No loyalty. It makes me feel better that coach had good things to say about Hyde though.
That's not really accurate. Slaton was the starter in 09. Foster didn't play until week 10 that year. Foster played because Slaton was playing poorly (3.3 ypc), had 7 fumbles in 10 games and needed what was essentially  career ending neck surgery. 

That's not really accurate. Slaton was the starter in 09. Foster didn't play until week 10 that year. Foster played because Slaton was playing poorly (3.3 ypc), had 7 fumbles in 10 games and needed what was essentially  career ending neck surgery. 
And Slayton, at least fantasy wise, was a top 10 RB through week 7 that year.  He fumbled, a lot, wasn't as effective (keep in mind it was only his second year in the NFL, unlike Hyde at this point), and there was Ryan Moats and even Chris Brown between Slayton and Foster that year.  It just kinda fell in Foster's lap, who didn't even log a single carry till week 14.

It was also Kubiak making the change, not Shanny.  Slayton was benched for Moats (not Foster) by early November, was on IR by early December that season.  I really, really liked watching him at WVU, wished he'd had a better NFL career. 

:shrug:   many coaches say every job is an open competition.  

So? At best that's generic coach speak - that's not what I asked for.
:shrug: you replied to my comment that many coaches say the jobs are in competition.  Of course it's coach speak, most things are right now. 

So no, I'm not taking the comments about him seeking out Joe in the 4th as meaning anything more than a coach actually wanting to add a player his gm drafted. One would think that would apply to most players. 

Hyde has every reason to put it together this year. He had a summer of recovery, and his team has improved this year. Best of all he actually has some quality receiver on the team this year who will keep 8 out of the box. This man needs to prefer or not get paid this year. I expect a career year and a nice extension mid-season. 

He's also playing for the size and length of his next contract.  That should always be a consideration.

:shrug: you replied to my comment that many coaches say the jobs are in competition.  Of course it's coach speak, most things are right now. 

So no, I'm not taking the comments about him seeking out Joe in the 4th as meaning anything more than a coach actually wanting to add a player his gm drafted. One would think that would apply to most players.  wo
I don't own either guy so I have no bias. You don't see any difference in a new coach coming in and saying "open competition all across the board" versus a coach naming a specific player needing to earn his job? Do you think if Jonathan Williams looks sharp and McCoy does not have a great camp, Williams starts Week 1?

For the record I do think Hyde wins the job - but if you go back to my first post it was in response to some one saying "all RBs have to beat out the other RBs on the roster in camp" when the reality is some backs go into camp with the job already. It doesn't look like it's "Hyde's job to lose" here, it looks like Shanny is looking for his guy to win the job if its close. Hyde will have the opportunity to earn the job though.

I already have Hyde in a number of leagues and I'm using this "uncertainty"/Competition to try to get him at a discount in leagues where I don't already own him. 

Just completed the following which shows I think you can get him at an injury/competition discount if you feel strongly (as I do) that this is just noise and he is a solid #2RB. 

The accepted offer was: 

I Gave: D. Parker, G Bernard, 3rd Round 2018 Rookie Pick (Probably Mid-round) 

I Got: Hyde 

A few notes: 

A. I have Great Depth at WR (Parker was like my 7th WR and had been on my bench for like 2 years). My Trade Partner had no depth at WR so Parker would be a borderline starter for him weekly. 

B. My trade Partner was DEEP at RB, and Hyde was likely not a starter for him except for bye weeks. He does have Mixon on his roster so I saw Bernard as having more value to him than me. 

C. This was my initial offer and I expected some haggling/ a request to increase my offer. To my surprise it was immediately accepted. 

In my mind, I took the annual Parker Hype (every year is going to be HIS year to break out), the Hyde noise and threw is some parts that were worth more to him than me, to net a good deal. In short, if you like Hyde, this might be the time to get him before training camp shows him as healthy and in the driver's seat at the starter. 

Regardless of this year (which I expect to be much better for him), even if he does move on next year, he will be a young player with a great YPA and low millage. Imagine for example if he lands next year at a place that has a quality QB/WR group but needs a quality RB, some spots that come to mind would be: Staying in SF and getting Cousins at QB, Indy, Seattle, N.E, Tampa, etc. 

I think he has a large upside vs his current price point. 

Nice to see people still believe in Hyde even though he has never put up a top season.  Makes Williams that much cheaper.
:shrug: I don't think anyone is breaking the bank to get him but at his current price I'll take the chance.  

Health is his problem, his pace in 16 would have given him over 1400 total yards and 11 TD. He was the ##11 rb in ppr (ppg) and his adp is rb18. Seems a reasonable risk with his injury history.  

How could Joe Williams have proven himself without having played a down in the NFL?
He couldn't have, which is why he is going undrafted in many drafts.  

Hyde on the other hand has never put up a top season yet somehow there is blind faith that he will do so given his top 20 RB ADP.  

He couldn't have, which is why he is goung udrafted in manybdrafts.  

Hyde on the other hand has never put up a top season yet somehow there is blind faith that he will do so given his top 20 RB ADP.  
Hyde has had some decent seasons, not awesome though. Poster above has pointed out about Hyde ranking #11 in ppg last year. Not bad, in fact.

Hyde has proven himself a reliable NFL RB. Joe Williams won't get carries because the starter sucks. The argument for Joe Williams is the coach, because we've been trained to expect the unexpected with the Shanahans and running backs.

Hyde missed 3 games last year and was an RB1 in ppg for standard. That's good to me, especially on such a weak offense and offensive line. He was 3rd in the NFL is yards after contact per game. He also has showed some chops as a receiver. 

In Shanahan's first season as offensive coordinator for the Falcons in 2015, they selected Tevin Coleman in the third. Everyone was told to write off Devonta Freeman, who was drafted by the "old regime." Freeman was a league-winning RB1 that year. 

In Shanahan's first season as offensive coordinator for the Falcons in 2015, they selected Tevin Coleman in the third. Everyone was told to write off Devonta Freeman, who was drafted by the "old regime." Freeman was a league-winning RB1 that year. 

Exactly. Same arguments also were about how much Coleman was a better scheme fit. Shanahan has come out to defense of Carlos Hyde and debunked the idea of scheme fit.

Carlos is a guy who I was a fan of coming out of college. He had a good career there,” Shanahan said. “I looked at him hard when I think I was in Cleveland and I had a good feeling he was going to be a great back then. I don’t think he’s the finished product. There’s a lot more to his game. I look forward to us helping him bring that out.”

“If you’re a real good running back, you’re going to be a real good running back,” Shanahan said. “Carlos was a great running back in college and he’s put some real good things on tape so far in the NFL. That’s why I look forward to having him and working with him. That’s the team across the board.

“People overrate a little too much with scheme. If you’re a good running back in this league, you’re going to be good in your scheme, whatever that is.”
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/02/49ers-carlos-hyde-draws-kyle-shanahans-endorsement/

Exactly. Same arguments also were about how much Coleman was a better scheme fit. Shanahan has come out to defense of Carlos Hyde and debunked the idea of scheme fit.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/02/49ers-carlos-hyde-draws-kyle-shanahans-endorsement/
I admit this is apples to oranges because Freeman, just in his second year, hadn't done anything in NFL when Shanahan took over. But it seems to me Shanahan intended to use Coleman heavily as his starting tailback. In his first game as OC, he gave Coleman twice as many carries (And Coleman had 4x as many yards). Not until Coleman got hurt did Freeman force Shanahan's hand with some excellent performances.

I admit this is apples to oranges because Freeman, just in his second year, hadn't done anything in NFL when Shanahan took over. But it seems to me Shanahan intended to use Coleman heavily as his starting tailback. In his first game as OC, he gave Coleman twice as many carries. Not until Coleman got hurt did Freeman force Shanahan's hand with some excellent performances.
Good point. Like you said, Hyde has shown a lot more than Freeman at that time and Hyde was drafted higher, was seen as a better prospect. The question that is interesting is did Shanahan learn a lesson from the Coleman/Freeman thing or are we reading more into these connections than has?

Good point. Like you said, Hyde has shown a lot more than Freeman at that time and Hyde was drafted higher, was seen as a better prospect. The question that is interesting is did Shanahan learn a lesson from the Coleman/Freeman thing or are we reading more into these connections than has?
If one gets Carlos Hyde, one must also draft Joe Williams, I think that's the take away. As bill murray mentioned above, Joe Williams is super cheap. So there is no excuse not to take him for insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread