What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Suicide (1 Viewer)

Interesting. My dad did the same thing when I was 15. I was lucky that I never felt the guilt because he was into some bad things that were caving down on him. I'm pretty sure that's why he did it.

But man, it really does suck.
It really does. I think it hit me the hardest when my children were born, knowing he would never meet them.

Like CN stated earlier it was a lot different combating mental illness back then. I myself did not ask for help with my own depression untill I went to my physician about 10 years ago and just said I needed help, I couldnt do it by myself. After about 6months of trying different meds I got on a great combo of pristiq and abilify that works for me. I shouldnt have waited as long as I did.

The wife and I are picking up our son this evening after he completes his 28 day DBT program. Experiencing a mixed bag of emotions over here. I am proud of him for sticking it out- even though he 'threatened" to pull the plug on a few occasions because he felt he had it all down and wanted to put it to work at home. According to his caseworker, he more than just participated-becoming an integral part of his group by his last two weeks. I am also concerned of course that he will lapse back into the bad habits that fed his depression the last couple of years. I know that his mom and I have to let him handle this once he is home, but that doesn't mean it won't be difficult for us to avoid getting in the mix. It's a fine line between being supportive and getting in the way. On the one hand, his mom would really love to take control of his digital time- laptop and phone- in an effort to get him out of his room, but we both know that he has to practice his newly learned coping skills to control that on his own. And attempting that would backfire for sure.

He's home for a couple of weeks, then heads off to college. Having just spent four weeks away from home and his parents- never more than a week at a time before- he is better prepared for that challenge. I know that he is really looking forward to it.

I'm sitting here worrying about all of the "little" things like how to set him up with his daily meds without attracting attention at school, and of those who would look to swipe his Adderall...  :oldunsure:

The wife and I are picking up our son this evening after he completes his 28 day DBT program. Experiencing a mixed bag of emotions over here. I am proud of him for sticking it out- even though he 'threatened" to pull the plug on a few occasions because he felt he had it all down and wanted to put it to work at home. According to his caseworker, he more than just participated-becoming an integral part of his group by his last two weeks. I am also concerned of course that he will lapse back into the bad habits that fed his depression the last couple of years. I know that his mom and I have to let him handle this once he is home, but that doesn't mean it won't be difficult for us to avoid getting in the mix. It's a fine line between being supportive and getting in the way. On the one hand, his mom would really love to take control of his digital time- laptop and phone- in an effort to get him out of his room, but we both know that he has to practice his newly learned coping skills to control that on his own. And attempting that would backfire for sure.

He's home for a couple of weeks, then heads off to college. Having just spent four weeks away from home and his parents- never more than a week at a time before- he is better prepared for that challenge. I know that he is really looking forward to it.

I'm sitting here worrying about all of the "little" things like how to set him up with his daily meds without attracting attention at school, and of those who would look to swipe his Adderall...  :oldunsure:
Happy to hear he's coming home! I understand the uncertainty and fear when a loved one is released. There isn't much you can do and you are right about the fine line of being supportive and getting in the way. It's tough for sure. The best thing you have going is he's still looking forward to going to college. Being it's 2 weeks away, it's coming up thankfully. Not too much time to become bedridden (hopefully). I suggest time to take him for some new clothes for school, supplies. Look at the classes he's interested in. Show interest in the subject he's interested in even if you don't like the subject. Spread this out of course over the course of 2 weeks or you'll be classified as being too pushy. Go by his cues but what you are doing here is quite appropriate for someone who wants to and looks forward to going to college.

As for the meds, maybe a 7 day am/pm pill box you can get at any drugstore? Sounds like he will be staying in a dorm? Hopefully  if he doesn't like his roomie or he isn't a good influence on him they can switch him. Moons ago I had issues with a couple in the dorms and I got new roommates at my (pleading) request.

I understand the fear of relapse and what could happen at college but try to get him prepared the best you can and take it a day at a time, just like what he'll need to do.

I look forward to reading about how it's going. Sending you all positive vibes and much love. Good luck to all of you.

One of my wife's friends attempted last night by jumping off a bridge with jumper cables around his neck. He lost consciousness and then fell into the water. A Police officer jumped in, pulled him to shore and administered CPR. The police officer had to be treated for salt water ingestion.

We're all kind of shaken up.

One of my wife's friends attempted last night by jumping off a bridge with jumper cables around his neck. He lost consciousness and then fell into the water. A Police officer jumped in, pulled him to shore and administered CPR. The police officer had to be treated for salt water ingestion.

We're all kind of shaken up.
So sorry to hear. I hate these stories where the person feels there is no one who cares and life isn't worth living anymore. Hopefully he was saved and gets treatment. He'll need all the support and help he can get.

So sorry to hear. I hate these stories where the person feels there is no one who cares and life isn't worth living anymore. Hopefully he was saved and gets treatment. He'll need all the support and help he can get.
Yeah, he and his ex-wife were friends of my wife since high school. I went to their wedding ten years ago or so. They split up 3 years ago because she couldn't take his spending and failure to keep a job. They stayed cordial, if not strained because he continued to borrow money from her. I feel worst for her, because she's blaming herself now.

Updates are spotty, but the last I heard he was on life support and there was some question if he had broken his neck and if he'd been in the water too long.
Guy was just over at my place a couple weeks ago. I cooked out and we had a good time.

Yeah, he and his ex-wife were friends of my wife since high school. I went to their wedding ten years ago or so. They split up 3 years ago because she couldn't take his spending and failure to keep a job. They stayed cordial, if not strained because he continued to borrow money from her. I feel worst for her, because she's blaming herself now.

Updates are spotty, but the last I heard he was on life support and there was some question if he had broken his neck and if he'd been in the water too long.
Guy was just over at my place a couple weeks ago. I cooked out and we had a good time.
Yeah, serious suicidals can be hard to peg. They are able to look "good" in front of people making them think it isn't as bad at it is. It's really about what they say. I'm a firm believer in not leaving someone in such a state of depression alone as much as possible which helps, but you can't be with them 24/7. And you can't fix it.

And it's not his wife's fault. Don't know if he spoke about killing himself to her but the most she could have done is reported that my ex is threatening suicide to try and get him in a psych hospital, And we don't know if that would have worked once released. It's a tricky thing. You always hear from close fam and friends that they didn't think he would do it. I remember at 17 when my parents were fighting, my dad would come in my room as I'm doing homework crying saying if my mom divorced him, he couldn't go on. Thankfully he didn't come close to that, but at that time I had no idea if it was just desperate words for me to help as I was placed in the middle of it or not.

The right thing to say is I hope he pulls through but being on life support and most likely with issues such as brain damage, I'm thinking he wouldn't want to survive.

Be there for his wife. Not sure the guilty feeling will ever go away but in time hopefully it will lessen.

Best wishes. xxx

So after a long while of no updates on my cousin's 14 year old (15 on 9/12), bro messaged me. Kid got arrested for attempting to steal liquor from a liquor store. He is quite tall for his age but doesn't look 21 to even be in there so not sure what he was thinking to try the liquor store. Anyway he's in juvenile hall now. Parents can't control him because he'll threaten suicide or killing his dad (like he did before) and no reform schools will take him because he's mentally unstable- a threat to himself, possibly to others, and they need to protect the other kids.

Not surprised. He's been on his own doing whatever in his mom's house where and it was only a matter of time that he'd get busted on something. And now he's landed here:  http://www.scscourt.org/self_help/juvenile/jjustice/detention_facilities.shtml

Looking at what they offer, looks like it'd be good for him. We have 0 experience with any fam in jail or anything like this so we are all green with this. Don't know how long he'll be there and what else they may do to him. If this place doesn't do it then nothing will. I've heard of people in and out of juvy hall and I hope this won't be the case.

While it's been a long while that I've interacted with the fam on the peninsula, I do remember this kid at my aunt's house while dad (my cousin) was at work which was a lot. He's a busy fam lawyer in Palo Alto. The kid was always mad about how when he did get attention it was always don't do this. No praise for anything. Just hot headed cuz yelling at him all the while he's crying asking what did I do now. My aunt and I kept trying to get through to cuz with me warning him of what's going to happen and he'd say I know and be good for awhile, then revert. It didn't help that his younger bro could do no wrong and dad was with 3 gf  and married once then divorced shortly after his divorce from his mom. I've always seen anger in this kid. I tried to give him the attention and chill with him as I was there a lot back then but it's not the same as a parent. His mom was having bf after bf as well. I remember one time his mom told us that a bf of hers was abusive and the kid got a knife from the kitchen and threatened the guy to leave his mom alone. Who knows what else we don't know about. He was no older than 10 when this happened.

I feel bad for the kid. In this case I blame the parents for having their attentions elsewhere all the while this kid's anger is just getting worse. I'd love to hear any good endings anyone has seen in such a case. I'm not holding my breath though. It's just so out of control. :(

Phew, All harassment charges dropped against me. I'm very lucky that the judge ruled in my favor. I blocked my ex co worker on all social media and have to abide by the no contact order. Hopefully I've learned my lesson. 
I missed this somewhere. Someone at work charged your for harassment? Glad it worked in your favour. When do your classes start? Something to look forward to now. Are you still doing yoga at that place?

I missed this somewhere. Someone at work charged your for harassment? Glad it worked in your favour. When do your classes start? Something to look forward to now. Are you still doing yoga at that place?
Yes, she made claims of sexual harassment had occurred as undergraduates. Classes start in three weeks and still doing yoga too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My 32-yr-old cousin...good-looking, great shape, charming, owns a house on the water, was being groomed to take over his 4-generation family owned car dealership...took his life today.

He got thru some depression in high school, but seemed to have that well behind him. Unbelievable and no one saw it coming. Just can't understand it.

My 32-yr-old cousin...good-looking, great shape, charming, owns a house on the water, was being groomed to take over his 4-generation family owned car dealership...took his life today.

He got thru some depression in high school, but seemed to have that well behind him. Unbelievable and no one saw it coming. Just can't understand it.
Sorry to hear that Gump. 

Sorry to hear. Some people don't want the fam to worry about them anymore so the suicidal acts like all is well in front of them. Doesn't matter what they have in assets, looks, etc. They can have the "world at their feet." Major depression is rough. It's a disease. May he RIP. So young. T's & P's to all effected.

Sorry to hear. Some people don't want the fam to worry about them anymore so the suicidal acts like all is well in front of them. Doesn't matter what they have in assets, looks, etc. They can have the "world at their feet." Major depression is rough. It's a disease. May he RIP. So young.
Thx Curly...he was around his immediate family so much, including at work...just seems like there would be signs. Maybe the pressure of taking a 4th generation business over was too much...I'll never be able to understand it, but also will never underestimate the power of a mental illness.

Thx Curly...he was around his immediate family so much, including at work...just seems like there would be signs. Maybe the pressure of taking a 4th generation business over was too much...I'll never be able to understand it, but also will never underestimate the power of a mental illness.
Maybe he said things that no one thought much of. Many of us say man, just shoot me now or phrases like that, and people don't think twice about it. It's hard to peg what's real and what is just talk that we all can do from time to time when life seriously sucks.

Sounds like he was a master of hiding his depression, and having a seemingly great life makes it that much harder to unmask and probably was embarrassing and confusing to him. Who knows why. Not even sure he could explain in words why if he was asked why he's having such thoughts. It wouldn't make sense to those who haven't been that deep in despair, especially when he seemed to have it all, and trying to explain it can be exhausting and maddening. Also, most of the time it isn't something you can point to, which makes it that much harder to try and explain/show why. Just look at Rok N Role's thread. Not saying your fam would be like some people are here to Rok, but bottom line, it's very tough to get people who haven't been there to see what they mean without saying but, but and you don't know how your fam will react, especially if they think it's in the past- if that makes sense.

The important thing is no one in your fam should blame themselves. You hear all the time how people just didn't see it coming. I really think it's because they don't want the fam to worry or cause them pain that something is that wrong, make them feel bad...even though by killing themselves they are causing pain. But they need to set themselves free of this insurmountable pain.

It a terrible situation for all. May you all find peace. xxx

And yes, never underestimate the power of mental illness.

So horrible, I am sorry to hear this. Depression is so confusing.

gump said:

Oh, that’s sad.   :(   Sorry for your loss and the rest of his family's.  

gump said:

gump- I'm so sorry.

How common is weight gain on SSRIs? I've felt bloated and gained 5 lbs on the past two months. I suck at making exercise a priority while going back to school.

How common is weight gain on SSRIs? I've felt bloated and gained 5 lbs on the past two months. I suck at making exercise a priority while going back to school.
Very, very common. They told me to work out on SSRIs. They monitor your weight all of the time.  

How do I convince my roommate to also start eating healthier too?
Don't think you can. The person has got to want to do it. Giving up yummy bad foods is almost like giving up alcohol for those who love it. 

As for Ssdi weight gain, let your doc know. There may be one that doesn't cause weight gain. Wellbutrin is a big one that does.

Does anyone have helpful links or resources for people that struggle with agoraphobia? 

I have a cousin that's struggling to even leave the house. He's been on benzos (Klonopin) for a while now but reluctant to try other meds. It just breaks my heart. :(

Does anyone have helpful links or resources for people that struggle with agoraphobia? 

I have a cousin that's struggling to even leave the house. He's been on benzos (Klonopin) for a while now but reluctant to try other meds. It just breaks my heart. :(
The only thing that works is to work on slowly getting him out. Start with just out the door. Meds alone won't do it if he's been like this for awhile.  If it doesn't work with someone he trusts then enlist in a therapist. Read their specialties to see who mentions phobias. But like with all else, he needs to want help. GL

I'm sitting in a new trampoline park in northern RI.  The kids and friends wanted to come here to play dodgeball.  T Law's spot is still under construction fwiw.

I'm in no mood to watch football.

Anyone here have anything interesting going on?

Don't remember if I've been here or not, but at this time of year always hope there is peace and closure for those who have gone through such an event. GB.

Keep your head up Bud.  This time of year is generally the hardest for everyone.  I was hitting a rough patch right after thanksgiving myself. There's a good support network with the guys in this thread.  We're here if you need to talk or vent. 

I found becoming more active helped me out a lot.  2018 is right around the corner.  No reason it can't be the best year yet. 

Just need someone to talk to about it, I think. Will send a pm when I’m on a computer and it’s easier to type a lot.
Happy to do what i can. Taking the old folks out for anniv dinner in a few mins, but should be back by 6:30EST & home all evening

I lost my best friend to suicide 5 years ago and a few weeks ago his mother passed away.  Brought back a lot of memories talking to his family members.  I hope everyone that feels those thoughts creep in know that there is help available.  You're not alone at all.  If you're sad or in pain there is help.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about my friend.

Why We Get Depressed At The Holidays, And How To Deal

Sometimes this time of year isn’t so merry and bright.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year... well, not for everyone.

While images of love and joy fill storefronts, TV screens and magazine pages, for many people, the reality of the holidays isn’t so cheerful. Between stressful end-of-year deadlines, family dysfunction and loss, poor eating and drinking habits, and increasingly cold and dark winter days, it’s easy for the holiday season to feel not-so-merry and bright.

Constant reminders of others’ happy seasons can additionally serve as a painful reminder of the happiness and love that’s lacking in our own lives. For this reason, the month of December can be a particularly difficult time of year for those dealing with family conflict, loss, break ups, divorce, loneliness and mental health issues.

Feelings of depression and negative mood affect many people at the holidays, and not just those who have been diagnosed with clinical depression. While there hasn’t been data to suggest an actual rise in depression rates and suicides in December ― research has found that depression and suicide actually peak in the spring ― some experts say that the holiday blues are a very real phenomenon. And of course, there’s plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that this is the case.

Here are some of the risk factors of holiday depression, and how you can avoid them:

Setting up unrealistic expectations.

Hoping for a picture-perfect White Christmas holiday is setting yourself up for not only disappointment, but potentially symptoms of depression.

“People have this anticipation or fantasy of the holiday that you would see on TV,” psychiatrist Mark Sichel, author of Healing From Family Rifts, told HuffPost, adding that his practice gets much busier after the holidays. “Actually, it’s never exactly as people anticipate and it’s often disappointing. There’s often strife within families that comes out at holiday times.”

Especially when it comes to family especially, it’s important to manage expectations during the holidays and not hope for things to be perfect. If holidays tend to be a time of conflict in your family, or you’ve recently experienced the loss of a loved one, putting pressure on your family to all get along or to be cheerful could lead to disappointment and additional anxiety.

Being mindful of what you do have to be thankful for ― your sister who always makes family gatherings bearable, getting a week off of work, or just the promise of a fresh start with the beginning of the new year ― can help combat feelings of deficiency and lack.

“Realize that the holidays do end ― and take stock of what you can be grateful for,” says Sichel. “Having gratitude is probably the best antidote against depression.”

Trying to do too much.

At the holidays, the pressure of trying to do everything ― plan the perfect holiday, make it home to see your family, say yes to every event, meet those year-end deadlines ― can be enough to send anyone into a tail spin. And if you’re prone to anxiety and depression, stress (and a lack of sleep) can take a significant toll on your mood.

A heightened pressure and fear of not getting everything done are some of the most common triggers for the holiday blues, according to Sichel.

“Being bogged down by perfectionism” can contribute to feeling down, says Sichel. “Many people feel they just can’t do the right thing, that family members are always disappointed in them.”

Comparing your insides to someone else’s outsides.

Both in real life and on social media, it can be difficult to avoid comparing yourself with others around Christmastime. If you have a less-than-perfect family, a past trauma from this time of year, or just a less-than-full holiday dance card, comparing your holiday experience with other peoples’ is a recipe for increased sadness and isolation.

And as Sichel points out, these comparisons tend to be skewed — and they tend to make us feel bad about ourselves.

“People’s basis for comparison is not based in reality, because most families have issues and most people do not have the perfect Christmas that they would like to have or that they’d remember from their childhood,” says Sichel.

Slacking on self-care.

For many people, December is the busiest time of the year. When work pressures pile up and the calendar gets full with social obligations, the routines that normally keep us healthy and happy — yoga class, morning runs, healthy home-cooked meals, a meditation practice — are usually the first thing to fall by the wayside.

In addition to increased stress, eating poorly and drinking excessively can also exacerbate issues like stress, anxiety and depression.

“Take care of yourself — don’t overeat and over-drink,” says Sichel. “Do your regular routines of exercise and whatever keeps you together during the year.”

Sichel emphasizes the importance of avoiding binge drinking. Alcohol is everywhere during the holidays, and if you’re struggling with feeling down, it may be wise to avoid drinking as much as possible — alcohol is known to worsen symptoms of anxiety and depression.

Experiencing symptoms of seasonal affective disorder.

If you tend to start feeling down when winter approaches each year, and those negative feelings don’t go away after the holidays are over, you may have seasonal affective disorder (SAD).

According to Sichel, many people who think they are suffering from a case of holiday blues may actually be suffering from SAD, a form of depression that’s brought on by the change of seasons. But SAD shouldn’t be dismissed as mere “winter blues” — talk to your doctor if you’re experiencing symptoms of the disorder to find a treatment that works for you.

Subscribe to The Good

Users who are viewing this thread