What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (6 Viewers)

There are bits and pieces that are great, but overall I feel like they didn’t know what they wanted this show to be. It’s Falcon and Winter Soldier but it feels more like Off Brand Captain America. They spent a lot of time early highlighting and doing backstory for Falcon and Winter Soldier and they’ve done nothing to move those two characters forward. With Wandavision there was a clear vision and arc the entire way through. With this show it feels like they had so many items they wanted to put in the story without enough time to do them justice and nobody had the guts to say some of it needed to be cut.
re: the bolded, I think that's actually what they are going for. This exists in the "Captain America" universe, so the tone of this show should be similar to the tone and feel of the Captain America movies / franchise. I think that they're nailing that.  It's becoming one of the MCU signature strategies that they model their movies and shows off of general tropes like heist movie (AntMan, Endgame), spy movie (Captain America's), Sitcom (Wanda), and I'm sure Marvel nerds can come up with many more. I feel like the tone on this show sits right in that Captain America pocket, even if the pacing is not perfect (on which I agree). 

I’m following the chronology order posted by Corp and maybe others - https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a825774/marvel-cinematic-universe-in-chronological-order/

Thought I’d post some thoughts on where I’m at and my take so far.

1. Captain America: The First Avenger - really enjoyed this - I like older stuff so that was just an added bonus 

2. Agent Carter (season 1) - knew nothing of Agent Carter until CA and then this.  Loved season 1

3. Agent Carter (season 2) - season 2 was still ok but the storyline felt off and I can kind of see why they cancelled it (I’m assuming they cancelled it??) - when that song and dance routine came in was the jump the shark moment for me.  Shame, I would have watched several seasons like S1

4. Agent Carter (one-shot on Iron Man 3 DVD) 

5. Captain Marvel - really knew nothing of this story - pretty good and Captain Marvel is a badass.  I’d watch again 

6. Iron Man - had seen before, one of my MCU favorites 

7. Iron Man 2 - after thinking I had watched it before, I’m not sure if I had.  Downey is perfect for the role - really enjoy the tie-ins with BW and Fury/Shield

8. The Incredible Hulk - this was garbage

I get that we're not supposed to like him, but walker is the worst, least charismatic villain since probably Aldrich Killian. 

I want to at least sort of liked the guy at first. Multiple MoH winner, Green Beret, a guy I want to at least respect. But man, maybe it's just the actor but I couldn't stand him even before the end of ep 4. And not in the same way as other villains like the joker. Just completely unlikable and not done well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get that we're not supposed to like him, but walker is the worst, least charismatic villain since probably Aldrich Killian. 

I want to at least sort of liked the guy at first. Multiple MoH winner, Green Beret, a guy I want to at least respect. But man, maybe it's just the actor but I couldn't stand him even before the end of ep 4. And not in the same way as other villains like the joker. More like the league's version of lex Luther.
The 3 MOHs bugs the crap out of me for some reason.  And he’s a tool bag. 

What the heck is going on with the fishing business?  These writers are killing me.  PAY IT OFF!  Either give the lady a loan or foreclose.  Don't stretch it out.  
And remember the Asian man that Bucky befriended after he murdered the man’s son? And the emotional struggle Bucky was going through? Yeah well, the writers sure didn’t. Who cares about their backstory, they’re now just pawns in the Discount Cap story.

And remember the Asian man that Bucky befriended after he murdered the man’s son? And the emotional struggle Bucky was going through? Yeah well, the writers sure didn’t. Who cares about their backstory, they’re now just pawns in the Discount Cap story.
I mean, there's still like a whole movie's worth of content to come right? Don't you think this condemnation might be a little premature?

I believe Sam will be Captain America by the end of the series.  I think KMart Cap will be defeated by Bucky primarily along with Sam, but will escape.  He may assume the US Agent persona from the comics where he realizes he was over the line, then tries to be almost an anti-hero. Karli will be dead by the end of the series, either by someone else's hands or her own.  The Power Broker will be an unresolved story line (if not they really botched this, in the comics Walker gets the super serum from the Power Broker). Zemo will be on the loose at stories end, the actor is too good along with a deep history in the comics for him to be back in jail (or killed by the Dora Milaje). I think Sharon is undercover with an agency and Sam will find that out as he tries to win her pardon. Sarah will keep the boat and Bucky will tell the old man that his son's killer was a Russian agent, but that the man is now gone.

Hi (fellow) nerds,

From the title it sounds like Wandavision is worth a watch? I was on board early in this thread and the show but got sidetracked.  Haven’t been back to this thread because I wanted to avoid spoilers and now it’s a hundred pages later. 

I will only read responses to this post so please no spoilers (in your responses)  and thank you so much in advance. 

Hi (fellow) nerds,

From the title it sounds like Wandavision is worth a watch? I was on board early in this thread and the show but got sidetracked.  Haven’t been back to this thread because I wanted to avoid spoilers and now it’s a hundred pages later. 

I will only read responses to this post so please no spoilers (in your responses)  and thank you so much in advance. 
Wandavision is one of my 15-20 favorite tv shows ever, and I hold that distinction in high honor. The finale was hard to land but everything leading up to it was perfect. 

Wandavision is one of my 15-20 favorite tv shows ever, and I hold that distinction in high honor. The finale was hard to land but everything leading up to it was perfect. 
My only complaint, if you want to call it that, is it just being one season.  It was a helluva season but hard to rank it against shows that ran for years.  For the genre and length it’s way up there for me too.

My wife said the same thing about the boys too. She extremely hates the new captain so he seems to be an effective villain at least. 

“when are they going to kill this guy I cannot ####ing stand him” :lmao:  
My wife too. I also LOVED the final scene with everyone just standing there watching recording with their phones. Realistic in today's world.  

If course, personally, as soon as Kmart Cap ( :lmao: love that) looked up that phone would have been in my pocket and I would have skeddeled. 

Love the German dude too.  I wasn't a big comic book nerd as a kid but seem to remember him. Could Google but don't want to ruin anything coming up. 

I want to at least sort of liked the guy at first. Multiple MoH winner, Green Beret, a guy I want to at least respect. But man, maybe it's just the actor but I couldn't stand him even before the end of ep 4. And not in the same way as other villains like the joker. Just completely unlikable and not done well.
:goodposting:

My wife stated "did he have all of his lower teeth knocked out or something"?  

The casting for KmartCap is perfect!  He's done his job so well that everyone hated him prior to this latest episode.  Now it will only escalate.  The character is supposed to be unlikable.  He's supposed to be an arrogant ### that demands things his way.  The character has that supremacist ideaology and demands respect, but doesn't earn it from others.  I think this Russel kid has done a great job emboding that and more.  My son told me after the 2nd episode that he didn't like "this Cap" and he couldn't put a finger on it.  I told him it's because he has a face you want to punch.  His eyes lit up and he yelled "YES!".  I'm not sure I can think of anyone else to play the character of John Walker to this degree.  

Hi (fellow) nerds,

Definitely worth watching. I'll probably watch it again soon. 

Among comic book TV shows, I might put the first and last season of agents of shield, and Daredevil on par with it, but better than any other show I can think of in the genre. 

Avoid spoilers if you can.

How difficult is it going to be to get rid of the new Captain now that he has the super solider serum and wants revenge? I think it would be very difficult to kill him off in 2 episodes. Is he a the villain in season 2 or future anti-hero like Loki in the movies?
It will be really tough to make him into a anti-hero with what everyone just witnessed IMO.

Powered through a lot more this weekend as I had my 2nd Covid vaccine and blocked the weekend to rest.

9. The Consultant (one-shot on the Thor DVD)

10. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer (one-shot on the Captain America: The First Avenger DVD)

11. Thor  - Really enjoyed this - first time watching it.  Portman :wub:   Really loved the Darcy tie-in to WandaVision

12. The Avengers (aka Avengers Assemble in some regions) - another one of my favorites of the ones I had seen.  I've always been a sucker for ensemble casts

13. Item 47 (one-shot on the Avengers Assemble DVD)

14. Iron Man 3 - Seemed a little forced.  It was still ok but I didn't think the story was super compelling.  Wouldn't watch again.

15. All Hail the King (one-shot on the Thor: The Dark World DVD)

16. Agents of SHIELD (season 1, eps 1-7) - watched just one episode and while cheesy, I kind of liked it.  I had no clue there were so many seasons/episodes of this.  Hoping it continues to be worth my time.

17. Thor: The Dark World - wrapped things up with this.  My recollection was this one (or maybe the 3rd one) wasn't well received.  I actually liked it.  Not as well as the first Thor but it wasn't a big dropoff for me.  Loki is a great bad guy - the rest of the cast is solid and the story was good enough.

This is probably a DUH for all you guys but I honestly had no clue everything was so well intertwined - the scene at the end of Thor 2 with The Collector was awesome.

So, I've tried to avoid all the posts about Falcon and WS as I was going to wait until I got through the full list I've been following.  Is there a compelling reason to continue to wait on that or can I go ahead with the Falcon and WS show without it ruining anything and/or me missing background which would make me lost?

So, I've tried to avoid all the posts about Falcon and WS as I was going to wait until I got through the full list I've been following.  Is there a compelling reason to continue to wait on that or can I go ahead with the Falcon and WS show without it ruining anything and/or me missing background which would make me lost?
It depends on how well you've been able to keep yourself in the dark on the later MCU movies. If you've already watched all the Avengers movies, then you're probably pretty safe to watch this without ruining your experience on other ones. Otherwise, I'd recommend that you keep doing what you're doing.

You can definitely wait. Falcon and WS isnt must see TV or anything.

What exactly are they doing again?  Who was displaced? What was the world looking like the 5 years everyone was gone -- no borders and no countries?  
I’m not sure I have many answers (or that there are definitely established answers), but I imagine that a huge percentage of people that snapped back into existence came back to no job, no house, a world with way less resources,  etc. After 5 years the world had tried to move on as best as possible. 

It depends on how well you've been able to keep yourself in the dark on the later MCU movies. If you've already watched all the Avengers movies, then you're probably pretty safe to watch this without ruining your experience on other ones. Otherwise, I'd recommend that you keep doing what you're doing.
Based on your 2nd post I will probably just keep going.  I had watched 3 of the 4 Avengers movies (the first one and last two), Iron Man, GotG x 2 and Ant Man.  I think I hadn't seen all the rest.

. Agents of SHIELD (season 1, eps 1-7) - watched just one episode and while cheesy, I kind of liked it.  I had no clue there were so many seasons/episodes of this.  Hoping it continues to be worth my time.
I realize you are watching these in chronology order, but just finished binge watching the whole series. Really got into it, watching it straight through. 

What exactly are they doing again?  Who was displaced? What was the world looking like the 5 years everyone was gone -- no borders and no countries?  
IIRC, the red headed girl basically said that when The Snap happened more, developed countries around the world promoted an open border policy in order to deal with their significant declines in population.  When The Blip ended and people came back....the more developed countries didn't want the immigrants anymore and are now trying to send them away.  

IIRC, the red headed girl basically said that when The Snap happened more, developed countries around the world promoted an open border policy in order to deal with their significant declines in population.  When The Blip ended and people came back....the more developed countries didn't want the immigrants anymore and are now trying to send them away.  
Oh, sheesh missunderstood that.  For some reason I thought they were fighting for the people that came back to nothing and were the ones displaced.  

I realize you are watching these in chronology order, but just finished binge watching the whole series. Really got into it, watching it straight through. 
I did this over the summer.  Love the series although I was sad it went out on its own breaking away from the movie timelines.  Ghost Rider was great and S7 was a great final season.  I hope some of the characters get rolled back into the MCU at some point.

Powered through a lot more this weekend as I had my 2nd Covid vaccine and blocked the weekend to rest.

9. The Consultant (one-shot on the Thor DVD)

10. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer (one-shot on the Captain America: The First Avenger DVD)

11. Thor  - Really enjoyed this - first time watching it.  Portman :wub:   Really loved the Darcy tie-in to WandaVision

12. The Avengers (aka Avengers Assemble in some regions) - another one of my favorites of the ones I had seen.  I've always been a sucker for ensemble casts

13. Item 47 (one-shot on the Avengers Assemble DVD)

14. Iron Man 3 - Seemed a little forced.  It was still ok but I didn't think the story was super compelling.  Wouldn't watch again.

15. All Hail the King (one-shot on the Thor: The Dark World DVD)

16. Agents of SHIELD (season 1, eps 1-7) - watched just one episode and while cheesy, I kind of liked it.  I had no clue there were so many seasons/episodes of this.  Hoping it continues to be worth my time.

17. Thor: The Dark World - wrapped things up with this.  My recollection was this one (or maybe the 3rd one) wasn't well received.  I actually liked it.  Not as well as the first Thor but it wasn't a big dropoff for me.  Loki is a great bad guy - the rest of the cast is solid and the story was good enough.

This is probably a DUH for all you guys but I honestly had no clue everything was so well intertwined - the scene at the end of Thor 2 with The Collector was awesome.
what are these "one-shot" things, you are talking about?

seemed like a good place for this, but i watched New Mutants last night on HBOMax. was pretty good, enjoyed the storyline so far, but saw online that it has horrible reviews. Not sure why the movie got so bad of reviews, thought it was good introduction to some of those characters and should be fun to see how it evolves as the Marvel universe seems to be a priority for new shows and movies. 

is there any way to watch the one shots if you do not own the dvd of the movie thanks in advance and take that to the bank brohans 

Users who are viewing this thread