What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (7 Viewers)

. But just falling back on a lame category like "popcorn flick" to excuse a flawed film is rank with fan-geek-blindness. .
Why is it that you feel you are the only one allowed to have an opinion?Is it that hard for you to acknowledge that others might have liked it and it has nothing to do with being blind?

It is a horrendous combination of arrogance and ignorance to accuse others of being blind because they enjoy something that you don't.
:popcorn: Speaking of popcorn flicks this may get interesting.

. But just falling back on a lame category like "popcorn flick" to excuse a flawed film is rank with fan-geek-blindness. .
Why is it that you feel you are the only one allowed to have an opinion?Is it that hard for you to acknowledge that others might have liked it and it has nothing to do with being blind?

It is a horrendous combination of arrogance and ignorance to accuse others of being blind because they enjoy something that you don't.
Every tv or movie thread goes the exact same way.

Some people like a movie or tv show, all valid opinions

Some people dislike a movie or tv show, all valid opinions

A select few that dislike the movie/show basically insult those that like it because they can't understand how people can enjoy something with so many flaws.

But I don't want to ruin the thread with a ##### fest. I will tap out of this part of the conversation here. Flysack can have the last insult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it today, thought it was awesome. I don't think it was a step down from the first Avengers at all. Tom Hiddleston is fantastic as Loki, but I thought Spader's Ultron carried more weight as a truly dangerous villain and raised the stakes.

Really liked the Wakanda tie-in, will lead nicely into Black Panther.

Also liked that Thor got clued in to the bigger picture, to a degree.

Thought it was well done when

I can't speak for anyone else but the way Hawkeye was fleshed out and generally the centerpiece of the movie, they really had me thinking he was going to die when he was holding that kid near the end....they had built it up so it seemed predictable that he would sacrifice himself. So they actually succeeded in getting a shock out of me when it was Quicksilver who died there
I loved the scenes showing the Avengers downtime. What WOULD superheroes do when they're just chilling together? They'd get sloshed and tell stories and try to lift Thor's hammer, of course.

They achieved a feeling of camaraderie and chemistry with the Avengers, much more so than the first movie.

Saw it today, thought it was awesome. I don't think it was a step down from the first Avengers at all. Tom Hiddleston is fantastic as Loki, but I thought Spader's Ultron carried more weight as a truly dangerous villain and raised the stakes.

I can't speak for anyone else but the way Hawkeye was fleshed out and generally the centerpiece of the movie, they really had me thinking he was going to die when he was holding that kid near the end....they had built it up so it seemed predictable that he would sacrifice himself. So they actually succeeded in getting a shock out of me when it was Quicksilver who died there
I loved the scenes showing the Avengers downtime. What WOULD superheroes do when they're just chilling together? They'd get sloshed and tell stories and try to lift Thor's hammer, of course.

They achieved a feeling of camaraderie and chemistry with the Avengers, much more so than the first movie.

I don't know much about Black Panther, can you explain the tie in? I know he will be in Civil War.

As for your spoiler, I thought the exact same thing.

I don't know much about Black Panther, can you explain the tie in? I know he will be in Civil War. As for your spoiler, I thought the exact same thing.The vibranium used to create the Vision was illegally stolen from Wakanda (which they briefly mentioned) by that black market arms dealer, who is a villain connected to Black Panther, who is from Wakanda. Or the king of Wakanda, maybe, I don't remember.

Caps shield is made from the same substance, Tony Stark's father acquired it somehow from Wakanda.

So they introduced vibranium and Wakanda, and that villain who escaped, and is now a billionaire.

Why is it that you feel you are the only one allowed to have an opinion?

Is it that hard for you to acknowledge that others might have liked it and it has nothing to do with being blind?

:lmao:

Why do you have pee in the well, man?

That was really well done. As was the moment when Vision handed Thor his hammer. Total shocker. Made total sense. Made sense for Thor saying he should keep the mind stone at the end. Great moment
Sorry for sharing my opinion here, NR. Yours is valid too, even if you disagree, everyone is a unique and special snowflake.

I don't know much about Black Panther, can you explain the tie in? I know he will be in Civil War.As for your spoiler, I thought the exact same thing.

The vibranium used to create the Vision was illegally stolen from Wakanda (which they briefly mentioned) by that black market arms dealer, who is a villain connected to Black Panther, who is from Wakanda. Or the king of Wakanda, maybe, I don't remember.Caps shield is made from the same substance, Tony Stark's father acquired it somehow from Wakanda.

So they introduced vibranium and Wakanda, and that villain who escaped, and is now a billionaire.
And he had his hand cut off by Ultron. That guy ends up going by just "Klaw" after he puts on some red tights and attaches a sonic weapon prosthetic.

I have fond memories of Klaw going insane on Galactus' world ship.

I don't know much about Black Panther, can you explain the tie in? I know he will be in Civil War.As for your spoiler, I thought the exact same thing.
The vibranium used to create the Vision was illegally stolen from Wakanda (which they briefly mentioned) by that black market arms dealer, who is a villain connected to Black Panther, who is from Wakanda. Or the king of Wakanda, maybe, I don't remember.Caps shield is made from the same substance, Tony Stark's father acquired it somehow from Wakanda.

And he had his hand cut off by Ultron. That guy ends up going by just "Klaw" after he puts on some red tights and attaches a sonic weapon prosthetic.

I have fond memories of Klaw going insane on Galactus' world ship. His NAME is GOLLUM, precious.

Just got back and enjoyed it. Another solid addition to the family.

I have three questions

1) When Tony reprograms his AI to be Friday, is that suppose to be anyone of note in the Marvel universe?

2) In the during credits scene, Thanos states "that he has to do it himself", which I assume means he has to get the inifinity stones for his gauntlet himself but did that also indicate that he has been controlling hydra as well and that they failed to secure the Mind Stone for him?

3) What is the name of the infinity stone in Guardians called?
1. No. "My girl Friday" is the ref, I assume.

2. Not sure about Hydra. However,

The Infinity Gauntlet is in Odin's artifacts vault. So that scene implies strongly that Thanos is still allied/doing business with Loki, who we last saw controlling Asgard disguised as Odin. He also probably has the Tesseract now too.
3. I believe it's the Soul Gem in Guardians. But about that -

How did Thor even know it had been found? He mentions that "four gems" have come to light in a short amount of time. This means he knows about the Soul Gem from Guardians. What?
The gem in the Guardians movie was the power stone. They messed with all of the colors so they don't match canon.

Every tv or movie thread goes the exact same way. Some people like a movie or tv show, all valid opinions

Some people dislike a movie or tv show, all valid opinions

A select few that dislike the movie/show basically insult those that like it because they can't understand how people can enjoy something with so many flaws.

But I don't want to ruin the thread with a ##### fest. I will tap out of this part of the conversation here. Flysack can have the last insult.
This shouldn't be a surprise. Like you said, it always goes like this. Anybody who has any critique is an elitist snob that is trying too hard. Anybody who sits back and enjoys some popular entertainment up is an ignorant mouth breather. Of course there is no middle ground. ;)

Was thinking about seeing this with the 8 yr old. He spooks easy, so started "training" by watch some animated ones and watched the first Iron Man and Cpt. America movies. Still not ready for these, so i guess i will have to sneak off myself and see it somehow.
Yeah my son isnt scared of anything EXCEPT for the Hulk in the first Avengers. He's 5 years old. I asked him if he wanted to see this and he said yeah. I asked him "youre not gonna be scared of the hulk are you?" and he said no. We'll see.
It wouldn't have even occured to me to watch these movies with him at 5 years old.
You never know how kids will react I guess.

We went and saw the first Avengers when my younger son had just turned 4 (older son just turned 6).

He loved it and laughed his ### off when the Hulk was slamming Loki around.

Only problem was he asked me to rewind some parts that he liked during the movie. :)

Just got back and enjoyed it. Another solid addition to the family.

I have three questions

1) When Tony reprograms his AI to be Friday, is that suppose to be anyone of note in the Marvel universe?

2) In the during credits scene, Thanos states "that he has to do it himself", which I assume means he has to get the inifinity stones for his gauntlet himself but did that also indicate that he has been controlling hydra as well and that they failed to secure the Mind Stone for him?

3) What is the name of the infinity stone in Guardians called?
1. No. "My girl Friday" is the ref, I assume.

2. Not sure about Hydra. However,

The Infinity Gauntlet is in Odin's artifacts vault. So that scene implies strongly that Thanos is still allied/doing business with Loki, who we last saw controlling Asgard disguised as Odin. He also probably has the Tesseract now too.
3. I believe it's the Soul Gem in Guardians. But about that -

How did Thor even know it had been found? He mentions that "four gems" have come to light in a short amount of time. This means he knows about the Soul Gem from Guardians. What?
The gem in the Guardians movie was the power stone. They messed with all of the colors so they don't match canon.
This makes sense. I suppose Adam Warlock would be involved if it was the soul gem

I've seen about half a season of Blacklist and didn't have any problem buying Spader's Ultron.

The arms dealer who stole the vibranium from Wakanda is Klaw, a nemesis of the black panther.

Also T'challa is the king of Wakanda, AND the Black Panther which is a spiritual leader and superhero. It's a mantle though passed down and held by many before him. Wakanda is a technologically advanced society that chose to remain hidden.

He also is married to Storm from the X-Men and hates the Submariner.

Enjoyed this and Daredevil on Netflix. Might have liked Daredevil a little more, but it's not really a fair comparison, TV vs. movie. Both were homeruns though. For Daredevil if they picked up where season 1 left off and made a movie I'd go see it.

Are the movies based on the books, or are they just using the characters?

I've seen about half a season of Blacklist and didn't have any problem buying Spader's Ultron.
I didn't have a problem with Spader's voice as much as how Ultron was written. He was too human and comic, instead of arrogant and uber-intelligent.

*DISCLAIMER: this is my opinion only. You do not need to subscribe to my opinion if you are a drooling window-licker and/or have a small peemus. Feel free to think for yourself.

I didn't have a problem with Spader's voice as much as how Ultron was written. He was too human and comic, instead of arrogant and uber-intelligent.

*DISCLAIMER: this is my opinion only. You do not need to subscribe to my opinion if you are a drooling window-licker and/or have a small peemus. Feel free to think for yourself.
The comic part is valid, and clear pandering by the studio to the kids.

The human part is a valid, and rather critical flaw Ultron has and was necessary for the plot.

read that as "widow-licker", as in black. which would be alright in my book.

Arrogance is a human trait, after all.

After thinking about this movie some more, it was good but no better than average in the Marvel Studios rankings.

Here is how I rank them.

1. Captain America: Winter Soldier
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  3. Avengers
  4. Captain America
  5. Iron Man
  6. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  7. Thor
  8. Iron Man III
  9. Thor II
  10. Iron Man II
  11. Hulk

After thinking about this movie some more, it was good but no better than average in the Marvel Studios rankings.

Here is how I rank them.

• Captain America: Winter Soldier
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Avengers
  • Captain America
  • Iron Man
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • Thor
  • Iron Man III
  • Thor II
  • Iron Man II
  • Hulk
I was thinking about this the other day.. which of the recent Marvel movies I'd consider my favorite. It's probably still the first Iron Man for me, but I still need to get around to seeing your top 2.

Really like the Tony Stark/Downey Jr. combo.

Here is how I rank them.

• Avengers
  • Captain America
  • Iron Man
  • Thor
  • Iron Man III
  • Thor II
  • Iron Man II
  • Hulk
I was thinking about this the other day.. which of the recent Marvel movies I'd consider my favorite. It's probably still the first Iron Man for me, but I still need to get around to seeing your top 2.

Really like the Tony Stark/Downey Jr. combo.
The first 2 in his list are also my top 2 as well. Both are extremely entertaining but in different ways.

Here is how I rank them.

• Avengers
  • Captain America
  • Iron Man
  • Thor
  • Iron Man III
  • Thor II
  • Iron Man II
  • Hulk
I was thinking about this the other day.. which of the recent Marvel movies I'd consider my favorite. It's probably still the first Iron Man for me, but I still need to get around to seeing your top 2. Really like the Tony Stark/Downey Jr. combo.
The first 2 in his list are also my top 2 as well. Both are extremely entertaining but in different ways.
Mine is similar, but i didn't like Guardians that much. I would have it at the bottom with the Thor movies. I have Iron Man 2 higher than most, but it probably has to do with my Sam Rockwell man crush. Mine would be:

Capt. America 2

Iron Man

The Avengers

Captain America

Iron Man 3

Iron Man 2

Hulk

Guardians of the Galaxy

Thor

Thor 2

Haven't seen new Avengers yet.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers
Iron Man
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America
Iron Man II
Thor
Thor II
Iron Man III
Hulk

Was I really the only one who couldn't take James Spader as Ultron seriously?
I'm with you. Too many jokes, uses of irony, etc. It was good for a laugh (Oh for God's sake when Hulk jumps into the jet thing and tosses him out) but it didn't make for a believable AI-taking-over-the-world. He should have been darker, IMO.

I have no idea how Ultron was in the comics.

And he was Reddington, though I don't think that was the problem.

Could be Hawkeye got more screen time for a future solo movie or if they do a West Coast Avengers movie.

Enjoyed this and Daredevil on Netflix. Might have liked Daredevil a little more, but it's not really a fair comparison, TV vs. movie. Both were homeruns though. For Daredevil if they picked up where season 1 left off and made a movie I'd go see it.

Are the movies based on the books, or are they just using the characters?
Daredevil movie is based on a Frank Miller storyline that ran for much longer than what the movie entails. The movie had Daredevil's power be sonar like while in the books it is more like radar and isn't impacted by loud noises or an inability to create vibrations.

For me, I like Iron Man II better than III.

The Hulk movies, especially the first one to me are awful and get lumped in with the past two Punishers, Ghost Riders and Electra. Those were all painful to watch.

Well I can't find my previous rankings so here it is anew:

Avengers

Cap 2

GotG

Iron Man

Avengers 2

Thor 2

Cap

Thor

IM2

IM3

Hulk (Norton)

I've liked them all, what a great run.

The comic part is valid, and clear pandering by the studio to the kids.

The human part is a valid, and rather critical flaw Ultron has and was necessary for the plot.
You don't need to pander to kids with the villain, if the villain is a robot.

Ultron's critical human flaw is hate, not quips. Loki, yes, he quips. Even Doom is known to fire a good snide one-liner. Ultron? He dismisses and hates while deluding himself that it's all logic.

But I recognize this is a comic reader grip. I still didn't like him so much though.

Question -

Which would you rather see

1. A Ruffalo Hulk solo film

2. A Black Widow solo film
I want a Hulk movie.

Looking at these lists, I guess I enjoyed the Hulk movies more than just about everybody. I think if they could get a mix of the two it would be good. Liked the story of the Ang Lee one and the look of the Norton one. Just a hard character to nail on screen.

Great movie. Considering it is a sequel (harder to nail) I think they hit a home run.

The Thor solo stuff didnt make much sense, read today that Marvel execs forced that in and were unhappy about the Hawkeye stuff.

They are doing an excellent job expanding the universe.

Great movie. Considering it is a sequel (harder to nail) I think they hit a home run.

The Thor solo stuff didnt make much sense, read today that Marvel execs forced that in and were unhappy about the Hawkeye stuff.

Link?

Link?
http://overmental.com/content/avengers-age-of-ultron-heres-what-was-cut-from-thors-cave-scene-18322

There was nearly an hour of footage cut from Avengers: Age of Ultron, just to whittle it down to a measly two hours and twenty minutes. With that in mind, it’s no surprise that Thor’s little sidequest felt a bit rushed, there was a ton of stuff from that scene that didn’t make it into the final version of the film.

According to director Joss Whedon on the Empire Film Podcast, at one point there was a cut of the film sitting at a monstrous 195 minutes (for the record, I would have loved to see a three-hour Avengers movie). That particular version had a ton more material following Thor after his Scarlet Witch nightmare.

In the theatrical cut, Thor finds Erik Selvig, goes to the Water of Sight, has some brief glimpses of a vision that might be related to Ragnarok, then drops back in with the Avengers to unload a ton of exposition. In Whedon’s original version, it plays out quite a bit differently.

What was cut from the Water of Sight sequence?According to Whedon, Thor wasn’t just seeking out the Water of Sight, he was specifically looking to speak with a Norn. If you’re not familiar with that term, the Norns are sort of like the Norse mythology version of the Fates; mystical female beings who control the destiny of both gods and mortals.

So if you’re a Norse god and you’re looking for answers, the Norns would be a good place to start.

In that 195 minute cut, Thor would find a Norn, and be instructed to enter the pool. The Norn would then possess Thor, and would answer Erik Selvig’s questions.

That’s a very different angle than the sort-of-explained-but-not-really powers of the Water of Sight. It also seems very likely that this mysterious woman from the trailers (who Kevin Feige wrote off as “marketing material,” in an answer that makes sense to no one) is one of the Norns.

Why was it cut?Whedon says that Chris Hemsworth really “threw himself into it, and he did a beautiful job,” so the performance wasn’t an issue. Instead, it seems test audiences really didn’t like the scene. Whedon blames this on the fact that it was a rough cut with no visual effects, and also that it’s something he could maybe get away with in a Thor movie, but doesn’t mesh as well with the tone of Age of Ultron.

Joss Whedon also admits that there was quite a battle with Marvel execs to even have any of the cave sequence at all. Apparently, the Scarlet Witch dreams were not very popular with the studio heads, and it was something of a miracle we even got to see what we did: “The dreams were not an executive favorite. The dreams, the farmhouse, these were things I fought [for]. With the cave, they pointed a gun at the farm’s head and ‘Give us the cave’. They got the farm. In a civilized way – I respect these guys, but that’s when it got really unpleasant. There was a point when there was going to be no cave, and Thor was going to leave and come back and say, ‘I figured some stuff out.’ And at that point I was so beaten down, I was like, ‘Sure, okay… what movie is this?’ The editors were like, ‘No no, you have to show the thing, you just can’t say it.’ I was like, ‘Okay, thank you, we can figure this out!’ You can tell it was beaten down, but it was hard won.”
Will we ever see the original three-hour version?If you’re still feeling sore over all of the footage that was cut, you’ll be glad to know that an extended edition with an alternate ending is very much rumored. It’s not confirmed, so don’t get your hopes too high up, but there’s a good chance we’ll be able to see Joss Whedon’s original vision for the film at some point in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread