What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (11 Viewers)

I'm attending the Spiderman premier tonight.
I'm not expecting much from this reboot, and hopefully it'll be surprisingly good.
Spoiler-free review to follow shortly.
Oh boy, it was a long evening but a very fun event.

My Review!

If you've seen the Spiderman - Homecoming trailers, you know this is a teenage version of the webslinger story. The tone of the movie is VERY teen. They pretty much skip the origin story and pick up right after Spidey makes his appearance in the Civil War fight. A huge part of the film is about him balancing, school, home, social life/girls, and learning to be spiderman. It's almost like an after-school special coming of age story. I just couldn't get excited about this stuff because we've seen these themes played out a thousand times before.

The acting was all pretty good though. Tom Holland makes a very good nerdy teen growing into his hero role. Several cameos are sprinkled throughout the movie. Michael Keaton was very natural as Vulture but I felt like he easily could have turned up the "evil" a notch or 2 if they wanted to go darker. But they opted to go with a lighthearted comedic approach. The humor was hit and miss cuz it was primarily teen-level comedy. The action was fine, nothing too impressive (even on IMAX 3D). No "wow" moments. I watched Wonder Woman on Tuesday so that's a tough act to follow.

There was one mid credit stinger and one after credit bonus "scene".

Overall, it's a fun movie; and approaches "good" at best. I think kids, teens and tweens will like this a lot more than adults.

Got questions, ask away.

My Review!

If you've seen the Spiderman - Homecoming trailers, you know this is a teenage version of the webslinger story. The tone of the movie is VERY teen. They pretty much skip the origin story and pick up right after Spidey makes his appearance in the Civil War fight. A huge part of the film is about him balancing, school, home, social life/girls, and learning to be spiderman. It's almost like an after-school special coming of age story. I just couldn't get excited about this stuff because we've seen these themes played out a thousand times before.

The acting was all pretty good though. Tom Holland makes a very good nerdy teen growing into his hero role. Several cameos are sprinkled throughout the movie. Michael Keaton was very natural as Vulture but I felt like he easily could have turned up the "evil" a notch or 2 if they wanted to go darker. But they opted to go with a lighthearted comedic approach. The humor was hit and miss cuz it was primarily teen-level comedy. The action was fine, nothing too impressive (even on IMAX 3D). No "wow" moments. I watched Wonder Woman on Tuesday so that's a tough act to follow.

Overall, it's a fun movie; and approaches "good" at best. I think kids, teens and tweens will like this a lot more than adults.

Got questions, ask away.
I'm pumped for this. Loved Holland in Civil War. I said in that thread I thought he was the best Parker/Spider-Man I've seen yet. Really looking forward to this film.

Seeing some set photos from Infinity War have me seriously geeking out for that film and we still have Homecoming, Thor and Black Panther still to come. Marvel killing it right now.

My Review!

Got questions, ask away.
Where do you rank it among the Marvel films?

What issue do you have with rap music?

Does rap music = black people to you and this makes it heavy handed? I'm legitimately shuked.

i thought it worked perfect. Step into the spotlight. The movie spotlights a nation that people think is 3rd world, being revealed as a super powerful, highly advanced civilization. 

Does rap music = black people to you and this makes it heavy handed? I'm legitimately shuked.

i thought it worked perfect. Step into the spotlight. The movie spotlights a nation that people think is 3rd world, being revealed as a super powerful, highly advanced civilization. 
It was a fantastic trailer. Marvel's trailers have been sensational for awhile now. Civil War's, Guardians 2, Strange, this one. Thor's was maybe the best one I've seen.

My Review!

Got questions, ask away.
Would you be able to spoiler the mid and post credit scenes? Or at least give a rough idea? 

Where do you rank it among the Marvel films?
I haven't seen all of them. I missed the latest X-Men and the 2nd Andrew Garfield Spiderman.

I would put it in the mid tiers. The teen theme doesn't fit my preference, but the movie is pretty good for what it aims to accomplish. Maybe 45-48 percentile of all Marvel films if that makes sense. But that's just my  :2cents:

Would you be able to spoiler the mid and post credit scenes? Or at least give a rough idea? 

Mid credit scene: The Vulture is in prison and crosses paths with an old crony. The crony and his fellow inmates want revenge on Spiderman, and thinks Vulture knows Spidey's identity. Vulture tells him that if he knew who spiderman really was, he'd have already killed him... then walks away smirking (He lied).

After credit: Captain America mocks the audience for staying until after the credits for a scene. And tells us how disappointed we must be that he's not giving us anything good. :lol:  Very meta.

I love rap. 

I'll watch Spider-Man but not really excited for it. Still don't care for the younger Peter Parker angle. He just seems TOO young. His introduction as Iron Man's protege is just all wrong too. Most of the current Marvel characters have really been nailed by their portrayers. This one, not so much. Maybe he'll grow on me. Especially as he literally grows up a bit.

I'll watch Spider-Man but not really excited for it. Still don't care for the younger Peter Parker angle. He just seems TOO young. His introduction as Iron Man's protege is just all wrong too. Most of the current Marvel characters have really been nailed by their portrayers. This one, not so much. Maybe he'll grow on me. Especially as he literally grows up a bit.
How do you know that this one was not nailed by this portrayer?

How much younger is this Peter parker vs Maguire? They're both in high school. 

I'm just getting less enthralled with a 3rd reboot.  To the point where I won't see it in the theatre until it moves to the cheap theater. 

At least from a critical aspect, Spideman is a success.  

After a healthy amount of reviews (67), it is sitting at a 93%.   I don't know where the score will end up once all reviews are done but as of now, it is one of the highest scores for MCU movies on rotten tomatoes.  Here are the rest

Iron Man 94%

The Incredible Hulk 67%

Iron Man 2 72%

Thor 77%

Captain America: The First Avenger 80%

Marvel's The Avengers 92%

Iron Man 3 79% 

Thor: The Dark World 66%

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 89%

Guardians of the Galaxy 91%

Avengers: Age of Ultron 75%

Ant-Man 81%

Captain America: Civil War 90%

Doctor Strange 90%

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 81%

How do you know that this one was not nailed by this portrayer?
I just looked up Holland's age, he's already 21 is 5'8" and plays a 15 year old. Good or bad, he's going to look young for a very long time.
I thought he nailed teenage Spidey very well, but we'll see if he can lose the babyface look for future films.

How much younger is this Peter parker vs Maguire? They're both in high school. 

I'm just getting less enthralled with a 3rd reboot.  To the point where I won't see it in the theatre until it moves to the cheap theater. 
This isn't really a reboot, this is the Spider-Man in the MCU story.

Semi-spoiler about spidey's suit:

I think fans will like him more in future films because we're teased with a new suit design by Tony Stark at the end of Homecoming. It looks pretty badass. If Peter accepts it, it'll be an instant upgrade x 1,000,000 that'll allow him to really fight with the big boys. And we won't view him a little kid anymore.

Many of the reviews are pretty gushy too.  Some are calling this the best movie in the MCU yet.
Isn't that usually the case for a few weeks.  I seem to recall people saying that about doctor strange, GotG, civil war, ultron, etc.  

Semi-spoiler about spidey's suit:

I think fans will like him more in future films because we're teased with a new suit design by Tony Stark at the end of Homecoming. It looks pretty badass. If Peter accepts it, it'll be an instant upgrade x 1,000,000 that'll allow him to really fight with the big boys. And we won't view him a little kid anymore.
Does it include a codpiece? 

He's supposed to. Each Spiderman reboot started with Peter Parker in high school. I don't know why that would be a problem now. I'm getting a "Get off my lawn" vibe here. 
Yeah, I really don't see this as a problem.  Part, perhaps most, of Spidey's charm is his youthfulness. 

He's supposed to. Each Spiderman reboot started with Peter Parker in high school. I don't know why that would be a problem now. I'm getting a "Get off my lawn" vibe here. 
I get he's a high schooler and I'm sure he'll grow on me. And now that you mention it, did I say you could nude sunbathe in my backyard? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course I did.  But the constant "X was the best thing ever! !!11!!!!" Gets a little old.  Not all of these were the best ever. 
you must read different reviews than I do.  I don't think I have ever once seen that stated.

Most of the reviews tend to be pretty level headed stating the movies are enjoyable.

Just to make sure you understand, when a movie gets a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, that in no way means the critics are rating it a 9.3 out of 10.  That is not what the rating means.

Parker and Stark have had this type of relationship in the comics. It's been strained at times, and in Civil War Spidey saw the error of Stark's ways and switched to team Cap (and was nearly killed for it), but Parker and Stark are two sides of the same science geek. It makes sense in the MCU.

ETA: Stark even makes Spidey a special hi-tech suit in the comics as well.

Parker and Stark have had this type of relationship in the comics. It's been strained at times, and in Civil War Spidey saw the error of Stark's ways and switched to team Cap (and was nearly killed for it), but Parker and Stark are two sides of the same science geek. It makes sense in the MCU.

ETA: Stark even makes Spidey a special hi-tech suit in the comics as well.
Yeah, but Spidey was an established character by then. Anyways, I realize that the movies won't ever follow the comics exactly. It is what it is.

Not really related to the cinematic universe but my son is finally old enough to start appreciating comic books and I feel like a kid in a... well I guess in a comic book store. 
Does he have access to a tablet? $69 a year for the marvel unlimited app. Access to 20k comics. Great value.

http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited?SEM=Google&cid=MarvelUnlimited?&gclid=Cj0KEQjwkN3KBRCu2fWmy9LLqN4BEiQANP9-WgBDk5nrH227IVKxW3uYCjUf8hkOPcpnY1PrNenkORIaAv7F8P8HAQ

Can try one month for free with code in link above.

Yeah, we've been doing that for a while and I agree it's a good deal. What's been great though is going to the comic book store and buying actual comic books. 
I started buying graphic novels a few years ago. I keep buying, mostly Image and Vertigo, a few DC. They are piling up. I am so far behind in reading them.

cheap graphic novels.com is a good source for graphic novels at a great price. Ordered once from them. No issues.

Users who are viewing this thread