What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (5 Viewers)

Different strokes, there's no right and wrong, obviously.  

I get bored with the galactic and weird ones in the Marvel series, and gravitate to the more human and self contained movies.  Winter Soldier, Spider Man, and Black Panther are at the top, Thor/Strange/GotG are at the bottom for me. 

KarmaPolice said:
How are we supposed to know what you haven't seen?  :P

Maybe just good the release order and watch them that way.   Sometimes they have stuff that bleed a little into other movies that follow.  So I think of the ones that you listed, that's something like:  Thor, IM2, Thor 2, IM3, Ultron, Civil War, Dr. Strange, Thor 3, Black Panther?   
I have seen the following:

Captain America

Captain America Winter Solider

Iron Man

The Avengers

X-Men (every single one of them)

Wolverine (all 3 of them)

The Incredible Hulk

Ant Man

GOTG 1 and 2

Spiderman Homecoming

I have enjoyed all of the ones I have seen. I really love all the X-Men flicks (except 3 which was meh). Love The Avengers, Iron Man, Ant Man, GOTG. Hulk was ok. Nothing great. Love the Captain America flicks and really need to watch Civil War....pronto. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen the following:

Captain America

Captain America Winter Solider

Iron Man

The Avengers

X-Men (every single one of them)

Wolverine (all 3 of them)

The Incredible Hulk

Ant Man

GOTG 1 and 2

Spiderman Homecoming

I have enjoyed all of the ones I have seen. I really love all the X-Men flicks (except 3 which was meh). Love The Avengers, Iron Man, Ant Man, GOTG. Hulk was ok. Nothing great. Love the Captain America flicks and really need to watch Civil War....pronto. 
Seems like you have covered them in the main Marvel Universe in what you posted just now and what you listed that you have to see.  

The two others that you didn't list that are great are Logan (unless you included that in all the Wolverine movies) and Deadpool.  Definitely not ones to watch with younger kids though, as both are R. 

Seems like you have covered them in the main Marvel Universe in what you posted just now and what you listed that you have to see.  

The two others that you didn't list that are great are Logan (unless you included that in all the Wolverine movies) and Deadpool.  Definitely not ones to watch with younger kids though, as both are R. 
Yes I saw Logan....amazing flick.

And I did see Deadpool and loved it.

So it's really several sequels (IM 2 and 3 and Thor 2 and 3) and a few originals in Thor and Dr Strange and the now Black Panther. I did not hear great things about IM 2 and 3.

I would just go with release order as well.  I can't think of anything significant that going chronologically would be an improvement.

So it's really several sequels (IM 2 and 3 and Thor 2 and 3) and a few originals in Thor and Dr Strange and the now Black Panther. I did not hear great things about IM 2 and 3.
:thumbup:

I like IM2 more than most, but it's probably more to do with my man crush on Sam Rockwell.   

I liked Iron Man 2 and it introduces Black Widow. You could probably pass on IM 3 although i liked it. Of the Thor's, I think the original is good, and Ragnarok is really funny. The Dark World is kind of Meh in my book. Dr. Strange is very good and I think it will be useful to have seen it when the infinity war comes out. Black Panther is also very good.

I liked Iron Man 2 and it introduces Black Widow. You could probably pass on IM 3 although i liked it. Of the Thor's, I think the original is good, and Ragnarok is really funny. The Dark World is kind of Meh in my book. Dr. Strange is very good and I think it will be useful to have seen it when the infinity war comes out. Black Panther is also very good.
The only real Marvel movies I haven't liked so far are Iron Man 3 and the Hulk movies.  Never watched the 2nd Thor movie but I heard it wasn't great and really kinda pointless in the grand scheme of things.

Liked Black Panther.  Very powerful message sent.  Thought it was a little slow in the middle but the end was kick ###.

You will really enjoy Civil War.  It is an absolute must watch before you go to see Infinity Wars

As an aside, just so you know, XMen are not part of the MCU.  All XMen movies produced to date are not in the MCU. 

Not that anyone cares, but here is my ranking of all the movies from the MCU:

1.  Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2.  Iron Man

3.  Guardians of the Galaxy

4.  Spider-Man:  Homecoming

5.  The Avengers

6.  Thor: Ragnarok

7.  Captain America: Cival War

8.  Avengers:  Age of Ultron

9.  Ant-Man

10. Black Panther

11. Captain America: The First Avenger

12. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

13. Iron Man 2

14. Doctor Strange

15. Thor

16. The Incredible Hulk

17. Thor: The Dark World

18. Iron Man 3

(Could interchange 4-7 on any given day)

Jayrod said:
Dr. Strange is fantastic as a stand alone movie.  My son has only seen a couple of the movies and loved it and my wife even liked it.
Holds up on subsequent viewings too.
My only real complaint was they way overdid it with the Inception special effect.  I wish they'd have cut the amount they used it by half and come up with something else interesting to include.

I guess they are not releasing Thor: Ragnarok on 3D blu ray here in the US.  Or at least, not yet.

Ordering one from Amazon UK.  $5 for 6-10 day shipping, I can live with that.  

MCU Tiered Update:

Absolutely Loved:

• Avengers
  • GotG
  • Cap 3 Civil War
  • Cap 2 Winter Soldier
  • Iron Man
  • A2 Ultron
  • GotG 2
Really Liked:

• Black Panther
  • Dr. Strange
  • Thor Ragnarok
  • Spiderman Homecoming
  • Ant-Man
  • Thor 2
Still Good:

• Cap
  • Thor
  • IM2
Just OK:

• IM3
  • Hulk
Stinker:

N/A

KarmaPolice said:
Dr. Octopus said:
CA:Winter Soldier may be the best of them all.
Arguably might be the best superhero movie, period. 
It may be, although I'd draw a distinction between best and most entertaining.  Avengers and GotG are more entertaining to me with the mixture of humor they worked in.  I think Batman Begins and The Dark Knight (DC of course) is also in the discussion for best along with Logan.  Deadpool falls in the entertaining camp although it is well done as well.

While we're doing this:

1. The Avengers
  2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  3. Thor: Ragnarok
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy
  5. Captain America: Civil War
  6. Iron Man
  7. Black Panther
  8. Spider-Man:  Homecoming
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  10. Avengers:  Age of Ultron
  11. Ant-Man
  12. Doctor Strange
  13. Iron Man 2
  14. Captain America: The First Avenger
  15. Thor
  16. Thor: The Dark World
  17. The Incredible Hulk
  18. Iron Man 3

While we're doing this:

1. The Avengers
  2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy
  5. Captain America: Civil War
  6. Iron Man
  7. Black Panther
  8. Spider-Man:  Homecoming
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  10. Avengers:  Age of Ultron
  11. Ant-Man
  12. Doctor Strange
  13. Iron Man 2
  14. Captain America: The First Avenger
  15. Thor
  16. Thor: The Dark World
  17. The Incredible Hulk
  18. Iron Man 3
Pretty sure this is not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Which is why they never put "Incredible" in front of Hulk in it. I'm not 100% sure on that tho

Pretty sure this is not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Which is why they never put "Incredible" in front of Hulk in it. I'm not 100% sure on that tho
There's two Hulk movies and one of them was "The Incredible Hulk" (the Ed Norton one). I think that is part of the MCU, but I'm also not 100% sure.

The one with ed Norton definitely is. Robert Downey Jr appears as Tony stark in an after credits scene and the actor who plays general Ross reprised his role in captain America civil war.
This is correct, the Norton version is definitely in the MCU.

I'll do a top 10:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2. Avengers

4. Captain America: Civil War

5. Guardians of the Galaxy

6. Black Panther

7. Antman

8. Avengers:  Age of Ultron

9. Ironman

10. Spiderman Homecoming

Black Panther is the only one I have not seen yet, my rankings are something like this:

1, GoTG

2. Antman

3. Ragnarok

4. Homecoming

5. Civil War

6. Everything else besides the 2 Avengers movies

n. Age of Ultron

n+1. Avengers 1 

My current Top 10 which, if all signs prove accurate, will have a new No. 1 when Infinity War comes out: 

1. The Avengers

2. (tie) Captain America: Winter Soldier/Black Panther

4. Iron Man

5. Avengers: Age of Ultron

6. Captain America: Civil War

7. Thor Ragnarok

8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

9. Spider-Man Homecoming

10. Dr. Strange  

MCU Tiered Update:

Absolutely Loved:

• Avengers
  • GotG
  • Cap 3 Civil War
  • Cap 2 Winter Soldier
  • Iron Man
  • A2 Ultron
  • GotG 2
Really Liked:

• Black Panther
  • Dr. Strange
  • Thor Ragnarok
  • Spiderman Homecoming
  • Ant-Man
  • Thor 2
Still Good:

• Cap
  • Thor
  • IM2
Just OK:

• IM3
  • Hulk
Stinker:

N/A
With the amount of films I think this is a good way to do it...

here's mine:

Absolutely Loved:
•    Avengers
•    GotG
•    Cap 3 Civil War
•    Cap 2 Winter Soldier
•    Iron Man

Really Liked:
•    Black Panther
•    Dr. Strange
•    Thor Ragnarok
•    Spiderman Homecoming
•    Ant-Man
•    A2 Ultron
•    GotG 2

Still Good:
•    Cap 
•    Thor 
•    IM2

Just OK:
•    IM3
•    Hulk
•    Thor 2

With the amount of films I think this is a good way to do it...

here's mine:

Absolutely Loved:
•    Avengers
•    GotG
•    Cap 3 Civil War
•    Cap 2 Winter Soldier
•    Iron Man
•    Agents of Shield (Ghost Rider mostly, BUt several eps and parts of the other 4.5 seasons fit)
•    Daredevil s1

Really Liked:
•    Black Panther
•    Dr. Strange
•    Thor Ragnarok
•    Spiderman Homecoming
•    Ant-Man
•    A2 Ultron
•    GotG 2
•    DD s2
•    Jessica Jones
•    Defenders
•    Agents of Shield (the rest)
•    Punisher

Still Good:
•    Cap 
•    Thor 
•    IM2
•    Luke Cage

Just OK:
•    IM3
•    Hulk
•    Thor 2
•    IronFist
•    Inhumans
•    Agent Carter

Not Seen:
•    The Runaways
more I thought about this I figured I'd Add the TV side of the MCU as well....

I may need to go rewatch Ultron. That's the one you're all ranking much higher than I would. I'd rank it among the still good category along with Thor and IM2. 

the first cap has actually grown on me, didn't like it all that much the first time but it's among the top 10 now.

Well I'll be a son of a.............

James Gunn (Director of Guardians of the Galaxy) just said that Groot died in #1 and Baby Groot is his son.

NewlyRetired said:

James Gunn (Director of Guardians of the Galaxy) just said that Groot died in #1 and Baby Groot is his son.
What? I don't know why this bothers me, but it does. 

NewlyRetired said:

That's bull####.

My Top 10 so far from what I have seen:

1) Captain America - Civil War

2) Antman

3) The Avengers

4) Iron Man

5) Spiderman Homecoming

6) Captain America Winter Solider

7) Guardians of The Galaxy

8) Captain America

9) The Avengers Age Of Ultron

10) The Incredible Hulk

I’ve seen all the movies. My top 10.

1. Captain America Winter Soldier

2. Iron Man

3. GOTG

4. Thor Ragnarok

5. The Avengers

6. Captain America Civil War

7. Spider-Man Homecoming

8. Ant-Man

9. Black Panther

10. GOTG2

It’shard for me after the top 8.  I liked Dr Strange, Ultron, Thor, etc., as much as the last two. 

NewlyRetired said:

AcerFC said:
This was a funny tweet interaction that happened the other day. 
Jeff Goldblum chiming in with "Life, uh, finds away" was awesome.

Interesting late change.

It would not shock me if they had this planned 6 months ago.  By staking out the 4th, they made sure no other big movies would release on that date and they likely knew the 27th was a weak opening date in terms of big movies opening that day.

I bet they are rolling the dice that no other tent pole movies will change their release dates, effectively giving them an extra week of runway for the box office.

Users who are viewing this thread