What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (6 Viewers)

Yeah, and having the suite be Iron Man light was not the best, but it was a very cool movie. 
The new suit is consistent with what happened in the comics, IIRC, in fact I believe that Iron Man used the suit against Spidey at some point too (Civil War related??? not sure).

The new suit is consistent with what happened in the comics, IIRC, in fact I believe that Iron Man used the suit against Spidey at some point too (Civil War related??? not sure).
Yes and no.  The last Spidey movie takes place in the characters infancy as a hero - and there is so much good material to mine from and for that time.  They movie built the suit into his emergence as a hero - while the suit in the books was just an arc.

Yes and no.  The last Spidey movie takes place in the characters infancy as a hero - and there is so much good material to mine from and for that time.  They movie built the suit into his emergence as a hero - while the suit in the books was just an arc.
True but do we really want another retelling of being bitten by a spider? Besides, in the film arc he loses the suit and has to go into the third act with just his abilities and wits.

True but do we really want another retelling of being bitten by a spider? Besides, in the film arc he loses the suit and has to go into the third act with just his abilities and wits.
They wedged iron man into spiders emergence as a hero - his origin beyond just the bite.  IMO, Stark was a distraction to a story with great potential and a fantastic rogues gallery

They wedged iron man into spiders emergence as a hero - his origin beyond just the bite.  IMO, Stark was a distraction to a story with great potential and a fantastic rogues gallery
Spider-Man's introduction to the MCU was in Civil War, actively recruited by Stark and the new suit was definitely a part of that (although we didn't see any capabilities). They established Stark as the mentor (there's always a mentor) at that time. They needed to tie the Civil War appearance to Homecoming, it would make less sense if Stark wasn't in the film. Like it or not he's Spidey's Obi-Wan.

9 PM on Thursday with the kid. I don’t expect to get home until after 12:30 with the run time, so at least one of us will probably be playing hooky on Friday.

Spider-Man's introduction to the MCU was in Civil War, actively recruited by Stark and the new suit was definitely a part of that (although we didn't see any capabilities). They established Stark as the mentor (there's always a mentor) at that time. They needed to tie the Civil War appearance to Homecoming, it would make less sense if Stark wasn't in the film. Like it or not he's Spidey's Obi-Wan.
Never liked this angle. The allure of the original Spidey was that he was a nerdy kid who had to figure stuff out on his own.

I've seen Homecoming, I'm sure I have, isn't that exactly what happens? What am I missing?
Chaka, no offense, it sounds like you are going to defend it no matter the argument.  

Here is something else to consider using the time line you laid out.  Effectively, Stark recruited Spider-man who had almost zero experience at the time to do battle with other Avengers - would not appear to be the most wise move.  As I said, the Spiderman origin and emergence is a great story on it's own and there was a ton of material to mine - rather than forcing Stark into the movie.

The vulture was good.  A Kraven story would be an awesome movie - and wouldn't need Tony Stark.

Chaka, no offense, it sounds like you are going to defend it no matter the argument.  

Here is something else to consider using the time line you laid out.  Effectively, Stark recruited Spider-man who had almost zero experience at the time to do battle with other Avengers - would not appear to be the most wise move.  As I said, the Spiderman origin and emergence is a great story on it's own and there was a ton of material to mine - rather than forcing Stark into the movie.

The vulture was good.  A Kraven story would be an awesome movie - and wouldn't need Tony Stark.
Don't do that, everyone can say the same about everyone else. I'm not trying to "win" an argument, I'm trying to understand the problems people had with Homecoming and offer my personal opinions. I'm not asking anyone to accept them and I am not dismissing other opinions.

Marvel made the conscious, and very wise decision to not do a third iteration of how Spidey became Spidey. We had five Spider-Man standalone films prior to Homecoming. Yes, yes we all know that with great power comes great responsibility.

I agree that it seemed questionable to bring him to fight in Civil War, it was a short-cut, a necessary one but a short-cut nonetheless. It established that Spider-Man was doing his friendly neighborhood thing for awhile and allowed Homecoming to jump off from a point other than "Dork, genius gets sand kicked in his face and then gets bitten by a radioactive spider." That's a tired story in film.

And no matter what happened in Civil War, Holland still plays the "dork kid" angle brilliantly.

The suit may have been silly, even if there was precedent in the comics, but I think the whole point was to eventually take it away and force him to grow without it.

Thursday night 10pm, 3D.

Checking out of here to avoid spoilers until after. Have a good April!
You are catching the show 28 hours after it's release and ~12 hours before the "official" opening and you're checking out 22 days in advance of all that?

You're dedicated.

You are catching the show 28 hours after it's release and ~12 hours before the "official" opening and you're checking out 22 days in advance of all that?

You're dedicated.
The spoilers and other wacky movie theories are all over my feed. Between Nerdist and a Marvel page, I am seeing more potential spoilers and some absolute goofy guesses than I can handle, so I understand why someone would turn it off now.

The spoilers and other wacky movie theories are all over my feed. Between Nerdist and a Marvel page, I am seeing more potential spoilers and some absolute goofy guesses than I can handle, so I understand why someone would turn it off now.
I get that but that's been going on since the Snappening. IMO, the signal to noise ratio went to less than zero months ago.

Don't do that, everyone can say the same about everyone else. I'm not trying to "win" an argument, I'm trying to understand the problems people had with Homecoming and offer my personal opinions. I'm not asking anyone to accept them and I am not dismissing other opinions.

Marvel made the conscious, and very wise decision to not do a third iteration of how Spidey became Spidey. We had five Spider-Man standalone films prior to Homecoming. Yes, yes we all know that with great power comes great responsibility.

I agree that it seemed questionable to bring him to fight in Civil War, it was a short-cut, a necessary one but a short-cut nonetheless. It established that Spider-Man was doing his friendly neighborhood thing for awhile and allowed Homecoming to jump off from a point other than "Dork, genius gets sand kicked in his face and then gets bitten by a radioactive spider." That's a tired story in film.

And no matter what happened in Civil War, Holland still plays the "dork kid" angle brilliantly.

The suit may have been silly, even if there was precedent in the comics, but I think the whole point was to eventually take it away and force him to grow without it.
Good point - cause obviously I feel I am being objective in my criticism - and I am sure you feel the same about your replies.

I see your logic in how the suit fits coming after Civil War - I just think the suit and Stark did more to distract from the Spiderman story than add to it.  I think the suit was forced out of the deal Marvel made with Sony to share Spiderman and Iron Man.

The three hour thing is problematic for me as I have three boys going ages 5-11. Gonna make sure everyone pees before the show and no drinks during

Going with the wife this weekend to see Captain Marvel.  Any movies (or just general Marvel knowledge) we'll need before viewing?  Decent standalone, or do we need to do any homework before hand?

Might be mentioned already, but didn't want to read too much about this movie by accident.  Thanks!

Going with the wife this weekend to see Captain Marvel.  Any movies (or just general Marvel knowledge) we'll need before viewing?  Decent standalone, or do we need to do any homework before hand?

Might be mentioned already, but didn't want to read too much about this movie by accident.  Thanks!
Totally standalone, with no history lesson required.

Go back and watch the self-serious Thor 1 (before they realized Hemsworth had comedic timing) and tell me his performance is that different from Pitt in Troy lol. It's not. The whole thing is obviously a joke, a 90's version of the MCU with the casting from that article would blow. 

Edit: Turns out Troy came out in 2004 but Pitt was a thing in the 90's, so point stands. Hemsworth didn't become a true star who lifted the films until Avengers imo. He was pretty replaceable until they shifted tone and realized how to use him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Go back and watch the self-serious Thor 1 (before they realized Hemsworth had comedic timing) and tell me his performance is that different from Pitt in Troy lol. It's not. The whole thing is obviously a joke, a 90's version of the MCU with the casting from that article would blow. 

Edit: Turns out Troy came out in 2004 but Pitt was a thing in the 90's, so point stands. Hemsworth didn't become a true star who lifted the films until Avengers imo. He was pretty replaceable until they shifted tone and realized how to use him. 
Wasn't thinking about it from a performance pov.  Pitt is too small to be Thor, imo.  Needs to be a huge man, like Hemsworth.  The Sarbo mention by someone would be a better fit.

inClue

Surprised nobody added Paul Rudd as Antman. He looks the same and was the same dork in Clueless.

I apologize for posting this here as it has nothing to do with MCU but I figured the general audience of this thread might be interested.

Me and the family went to see Shazam last night and wow did it catch me off guard.   The trailers made it seem so childish and silly but it wasn't.  After the very first scene I leaned over to my wife and said "the trailers did not do the tone justice".

Plenty of laughs and plenty of very strong PG13 violence.  Lots of fun overall.

91% on RT and a healthy 7.9 on IMDB so far.  Solid 72 on Metacritic as well.

If you were hesitant based on the trailers, I would recommend giving it a shot.

I apologize for posting this here as it has nothing to do with MCU but I figured the general audience of this thread might be interested.

Me and the family went to see Shazam last night and wow did it catch me off guard.   The trailers made it seem so childish and silly but it wasn't.  After the very first scene I leaned over to my wife and said "the trailers did not do the tone justice".

My 12 yr old son really really wants to see this.

Seems like DC has turned things around. 

Users who are viewing this thread