What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (17 Viewers)

The draw is the audience is expecting some major set up for Endgame.  And there appears to be little or nothing there.
Maybe you and I definitely "draw" differently but that's not the draw. 

The draw is seeing the culmination of a story spanning 21 films.

The Dude said:
I am saying CM is doing ridiculously well as people are expecting a critical component of Endgame - beyond the characters existence.
I agree, to an extent.  And no knock intended on CM.  I've seen a bunch of Marvel movies in the theater, but I've seen just as many on DVD or cable.  Captain Marvel would've definitely been on the list of "Non-Theater Movies" except we were worried that there was a big story line that was going to be in Endgame.  And Endgame was definitely a "Theater Movie."  Because of the timing of Endgame, there would have been no way to watch that in the theater while waiting for CM to come out on DVD.  

And I know we weren't the only ones who thought that way, as I spoke to several people who said the same thing.  Again, no knock on CM because I thought it was a really good movie. 

Mile High said:
 New rumor. What if all the endgame trailers, teasers , and film clips that have been shown are fake? 
And all the leaks. So many leaks out today. 

I read one Reddit, only one thing was truly surprising. Won't say what it was but it involved one of the big players. One other thing I was hoping to see. 

But I do wonder how much of the leaked footage was staged.

I agree, to an extent.  And no knock intended on CM.  I've seen a bunch of Marvel movies in the theater, but I've seen just as many on DVD or cable.  Captain Marvel would've definitely been on the list of "Non-Theater Movies" except we were worried that there was a big story line that was going to be in Endgame.  And Endgame was definitely a "Theater Movie."  Because of the timing of Endgame, there would have been no way to watch that in the theater while waiting for CM to come out on DVD.  

And I know we weren't the only ones who thought that way, as I spoke to several people who said the same thing.  Again, no knock on CM because I thought it was a really good movie. 
I want to see Endgame in the theater before I hear any spoilers. So CM is the only Marvel movie I have seen in the theater and it is for the exact reason you stated.  

And all the leaks. So many leaks out today. 

I read one Reddit, only one thing was truly surprising. Won't say what it was but it involved one of the big players. One other thing I was hoping to see. 

But I do wonder how much of the leaked footage was staged.
Are there? Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to skip past any Marvel news until I see the movie. 

Are there? Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to skip past any Marvel news until I see the movie. 
Good call if you don't want spoilers. 

Personally I don't care all that much. But I was always that kid who snuck peaks at Christmas presents.

Capella said:
The Dude said:
I am saying CM is doing ridiculously well as people are expecting a critical component of Endgame - beyond the characters existence.
That’s a ridiculous assertion. 
Might be an overstatement, but not ridiculous. A film being part of the MCU is probably worth $400-600 million in gross alone.

One anecdote: Me, my wife, our and two kids (plus friends) have been catching almost all of the MCU movies together in the theater since 2012's Avengers. For Captain Marvel ... we wanted to keep the 'tradition' going, yes, but we had been riding the fence since Captain Marvel came out. My son wasn't excited about it, my wife and I were 50-50, and my daughter really wanted to see it and wondered what we were waiting for.

In the end ... we finally caught CM this past weekend. My personal reasoning was to make sure that I was caught up before Endgame. My wife agreed with me, but also had her own reasons for wanting to go.

Going into the theater, there were free Captain Marvel posters stacked on a table near the ticket taker. My son said that if he liked the movie, he'd go get a poster on the way out.

After we got out of the movie, I asked my son if Captain Marvel was 'poster-worthy'. He grunted something indistinct back to me, and I didn't repeat myself. I left them to fetch the car so that I could pick them up in front. When everyone piled into the car ... my son had his Captain Marvel poster in hand. He hung it on the wall in our family office that evening.

BTW ... none of us were disappointed. My son and I enjoyed the movie a great deal, and my wife and daughter were over the moon.

Something else: I guess I could Google this and see ... but wasn't Captain Marvel originally supposed to have been released November 2018?

If my memory about that is right ... that suggests that Disney figured out that releasing CM that soon before Endgame would allow a lot of on-the-fence viewers to wait until the DVD release and still get themselves caught up in time for Endgame. Pushing Captain Marvel's release back to seven or eight weeks before Endgame seemed calculated to get more 50-50 people into the theater.

EDIT: My memory must have been wrong -- Captain Marvel was finished shooting, but was still in post-production by November 2018. Maybe I was thinking about a prospective release date that was mentioned around the time Larson was tapped to play the hero (announced at the 2016 San Diego Comic Con).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I think ALL MCU movies are must see just for continuity at this point. They really do have the perfect formula for making money down pat now. I don't think its a ridiculous statement at all. It definitely helped the final numbers as CM was in the lower tier of MCU movies IMO.

Yeah I think ALL MCU movies are must see just for continuity at this point. They really do have the perfect formula for making money down pat now. I don't think its a ridiculous statement at all. It definitely helped the final numbers as CM was in the lower tier of MCU movies IMO.
Will be interesting to see if this continues in the aftermath of Endgame and with whatever direction they go in the next phase.  Even with some sequels coming, they will have to establish a new centerpiece to keep this going.

Will be interesting to see if this continues in the aftermath of Endgame and with whatever direction they go in the next phase.  Even with some sequels coming, they will have to establish a new centerpiece to keep this going.
I'm a little worried about after Endgame.  From all of the things I've seen about future releases, it all seems like stuff that I've never heard of.  I had at least heard of Iron Man and knew a little about him, even though it wasn't anywhere near my knowledge of the greats like Hulk, Superman or Batman.  So I'm not saying I won't watch them.  But I worry that all it will take is one bad movie and the franchise could come crashing down.  

I'm a little worried about after Endgame.  From all of the things I've seen about future releases, it all seems like stuff that I've never heard of.  I had at least heard of Iron Man and knew a little about him, even though it wasn't anywhere near my knowledge of the greats like Hulk, Superman or Batman.  So I'm not saying I won't watch them.  But I worry that all it will take is one bad movie and the franchise could come crashing down.  
They still have Spiderman, GOTG, Black Panther, Antman, Thor?, I also assume at some point they will bring Fantastic Four and Dr Doom into the mix and do it right.

and my wife and daughter were over the moon.
Took my granddaughter to see Captain Marvel and she felt the same way. Got me to thinking, with all the hating Captain Marvel and Brie Larson got and is still getting especially on You Tube. They are proving Larson point. Maybe we do have to many men giving their opinions on movies. 

They still have Spiderman, GOTG, Black Panther, Antman, Thor?, I also assume at some point they will bring Fantastic Four and Dr Doom into the mix and do it right.
All good ones I'll see.  But I thought they were phasing all of the Avenger guys out?  This may just be a case of me not reading carefully.  That tends to happen a lot.

I had never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy and that seems to have worked, but I do agree....

This will help but the next big bad/how they connect everyone and how they bring in FF, XMen, etc will be huge to the longevity.

Out of all the characters bolded ... Paul Rudd and Dave Bautista are the senior actors, each at age 50? Vin Diesel turns 52 this year, but can voice Groot for a long time still.

Out of all the characters bolded ... Paul Rudd and Dave Bautista are the senior actors, each at age 50? Vin Diesel turns 52 this year, but can voice Groot for a long time still.

Cumberbatch is 42, Johanssen 34. 
ok.  Not sure I see the relevance.  My understanding is they are doing Dr Strange 2, Black Widow, GotG 3, Black Panther 2 and I would be surprised if we didnt get an Ant*Man 3 since Marvel seems to give trilogies to the individual characters.

Oh and Captain Marvel sequals

I should point out that I want the Marvel franchise to succeed.  So I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer or anything.  

I think casting is going to be a big part of it, as well.  Doug B mentioned how he never heard of GOTG, and neither did I.  But if that had been the first movie and Andy from Parks and Rec wasn't the lead, I might not have ever watched it.  Even if I heard people saying it was good.  And those are two of my favorite Marvel movies.

And again, I'm not saying it'll fail.  I'm just saying once the big name Avengers fade away, they are going to have to be extremely careful on what movies are released and who is starring in them.  Just using myself and my daughter as an example, that first 20 minutes of CM almost lost us.  It recovered nicely and ended great.  But if that movie had been a clunker, we might not be so quick to go see the next movie we don't know anything about in the theater.  The core base will keep going, but not the fans like us.

I hope it keeps working because Marvel movies are pretty much the only movies I go to the theater to see anymore.

I should point out that I want the Marvel franchise to succeed.  So I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer or anything.  

I think casting is going to be a big part of it, as well.  Doug B mentioned how he never heard of GOTG, and neither did I.  But if that had been the first movie and Andy from Parks and Rec wasn't the lead, I might not have ever watched it.  Even if I heard people saying it was good.  And those are two of my favorite Marvel movies.

And again, I'm not saying it'll fail.  I'm just saying once the big name Avengers fade away, they are going to have to be extremely careful on what movies are released and who is starring in them.  Just using myself and my daughter as an example, that first 20 minutes of CM almost lost us.  It recovered nicely and ended great.  But if that movie had been a clunker, we might not be so quick to go see the next movie we don't know anything about in the theater.  The core base will keep going, but not the fans like us.

I hope it keeps working because Marvel movies are pretty much the only movies I go to the theater to see anymore.
Supposedly the 3 corner stones going forward are Black Panthers- Captain Marvel and Doctor Strange.  2 of those movies made over a billion.  

ok.  Not sure I see the relevance.  My understanding is they are doing Dr Strange 2, Black Widow, GotG 3, Black Panther 2 and I would be surprised if we didnt get an Ant*Man 3 since Marvel seems to give trilogies to the individual characters.
I just meant that the second-tier MCU characters' actors (after the principals in the 2012 Avengers, Black Widow and Thor notwtithstanding) still have a good decade or more left in them to play these roles. Rudd is getting up there, but is basically the 21st century version of **** Clark. Bautista is covered in make-up, and can yield the more difficult physical work to doubles or CGI as time goes on.

Supposedly the 3 corner stones going forward are Black Panthers- Captain Marvel and Doctor Strange.  2 of those movies made over a billion.  
Yeah, I must have misunderstood.  From the little I read, I thought that this current crop of superheros was being fazed out.  I knew BP, SM and GOTG had new ones coming out, but I thought they were pretty much the last of that phase or whatever they call it.  That's my bad.

Hmmm ... come to think of it ... the core of the current crop of X-Men (e.g. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender & friends, as opposed to the Patrick Stewart & Ian McKellen crew) still have plenty of years left, and can be folded into MCU continuity down the road.

I am also looking forward to the MCU's version of the Fantastic Four, Dr. Doom, Silver Surfer, Galactus, etc.

Hmmm ... come to think of it ... the core of the current crop of X-Men (e.g. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender & friends, as opposed to the Patrick Stewart & Ian McKellen crew) still have plenty of years left, and can be folded into MCU continuity down the road.

I am also looking forward to the MCU's version of the Fantastic Four, Dr. Doom, Silver Surfer, Galactus, etc.
Fiege said the X-Men aren't coming anytime soon to the MCU

He just rules them out of the current '5-year plan'. When I wrote "down the road" ... I was thinking longer term, as opposed to, say, the early 2020s. I figured that Disney would put out maybe two more X-Men movies outside of the MCU (say, 2022 and 2024), and then start working the X-Men into the MCU, maybe around 2026-27.

Still, at least for now, it looks like the plan is to recast the X-Men anyhow. 

He just rules them out of the current '5-year plan'. When I wrote "down the road" ... I was thinking longer term, as opposed to, say, the early 2020s. I figured that Disney would put out maybe two more X-Men movies outside of the MCU (say, 2022 and 2024), and then start working the X-Men into the MCU, maybe around 2026-27.

Still, at least for now, it looks like the plan is to recast the X-Men anyhow. 
Jesus.  At my age, I'm more worried about if I'll be around then than if the X-Men are going to be part of the MCU.  :lol:

Something else: I guess I could Google this and see ... but wasn't Captain Marvel originally supposed to have been released November 2018?

If my memory about that is right ... that suggests that Disney figured out that releasing CM that soon before Endgame would allow a lot of on-the-fence viewers to wait until the DVD release and still get themselves caught up in time for Endgame. Pushing Captain Marvel's release back to seven or eight weeks before Endgame seemed calculated to get more 50-50 people into the theater.

EDIT: My memory must have been wrong -- Captain Marvel was finished shooting, but was still in post-production by November 2018. Maybe I was thinking about a prospective release date that was mentioned around the time Larson was tapped to play the hero (announced at the 2016 San Diego Comic Con).
I thought they bumped Black Panther back from the prior November to the February before Infinity War.  Either way, I think that probably had the same affect on the box office (not taking away from the movie itself)

I said the same things weeks ago and got the backlash - but I am not the Iron Sheik!

There's not to much to be jazzed about right now (unless there is a big reveal in the 5 year plan)  Even this version of Spiderman movies has been merely okay.  This next phase needs the Fantastic Four badly.

I said the same things weeks ago and got the backlash - but I am not the Iron Sheik!

There's not to much to be jazzed about right now (unless there is a big reveal in the 5 year plan)  Even this version of Spiderman movies has been merely okay.  This next phase needs the Fantastic Four badly.

Trust me.  For as many people that like me, there are an equal number who hate me.  :lol:

The main reason I saw it was because they had that silly pager at the end of IW. So I had to see the tie in before End Game. To do that, I had to go to the movie, otherwise I would've streamed it after the fact. It's a brilliant move by the studio. 

Have my tickets for me, my 14 yr old daughter and wife for next Friday morning at 8:20am.  :excited:

They have yet to stumble, so I am not too worried about the MCU at all. They seem to have gotten the origin story formula down pat so introducing new, lesser known characters shouldn't be much of an issue. The only thing that will sink them is if the quality of the films themselves starts to go down, but for now they keep knocking them out of the park.

Even if the quality goes down the tubes, it will take a while for it to matter. DC is still putting out movies, Fox kept making Xmen's and even Star Wars is still making a killing.

Cinemark added additional movie times.  I just got my ticket for 9:50am on Friday.  I am the ONLY one in the theater so far, and my seat is right smack dab in the middle.

Yep, procrastination pays off once again.  You've never failed me, my friend.

:thumbup:

The Dude said:
A valid point.

But I question whether people were really expecting anything critically relevant to Endgame to come out in a movie set in the 90s.  I think it was to simply see the character established before her appearance in Endgame.

A valid point.

But I question whether people were really expecting anything critically relevant to Endgame to come out in a movie set in the 90s.  I think it was to simply see the character established before her appearance in Endgame.
Yeah that's the connection. Learning about the character before her appearance in Avengers. Would've been weird without any background info on her and she just appears. 

Users who are viewing this thread