What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (5 Viewers)

Corporation

Angry Bovine
It was pointed out in the Agents of Shield thread that there is not a separate thread to track updates in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so here it is.

Link to MCU Timeline:

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline

MCU Tiered Update (thru The Marvels)

Probably My Favorite Movie of All Time

• Avengers Endgame
Absolutely Loved:

• Avengers
  • GotG
  • Iron Man
  • Infinity War
  • Spiderman No Way Home
  • Cap 3 Civil War
  • Cap 2 Winter Soldier
  • GotG 3
  • GotG 2
Really Liked:

• Black Panther
  • Dr. Strange
  • Thor Ragnarok
  • Spiderman Homecoming
  • Ant-Man
  • Wakanda Forever
  • Shang Chi
  • Spiderman Far From Home
  • Captain America First Avenger
Still Good:
  • A2 Ultron
  • Thor: Love and Thunder
  • Captain Marvel
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp
  • Quantumania
  • Thor
  • IM2
Just OK:

• Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness
  • Black Widow
  • IM3
  • Hulk
  • Thor 2
Stinker:

N/A

Haven't Forced Myself to Watch Yet:

The Eternals - Actually Have Watched 20 Minutes Now
The Marvels - I'm not actually dreading this, just not super motivated to go see it

Last edited:
I don't get it, I thought Paul Rudd was going to be Ant-man... Where does old man Michael Douglas fit into this? I could see them playing out the various personalities as different characters but I haven't read that anywhere.

I don't get it, I thought Paul Rudd was going to be Ant-man... Where does old man Michael Douglas fit into this? I could see them playing out the various personalities as different characters but I haven't read that anywhere.
Multiple versions of same character.

Multiple versions of same character.
I was thinking Pym's personalities but I guess it would make sense if they just introduced the first two iterations of Ant-man. Little disappointed, while I enjoy the sarcastic Ant-man more than the serious Ant-man, I was kinda hoping that Pym would make it into the Avengers and not Ant-man.

It seems like they really wrote Pym out of the cinema universe. First they take Ultron from him, now he won't be Ant-man. I guess its possible we see him show up as Yellowjacket, but I doubt it. Was so hyped for Age of Ultron, Pym and Ultron is automatically a better story than pretty much any villain not named Thanos -- bummer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rumor has it that Douglas will be Pym and Rudd will be Scott Lang - both are Ant-Man in the comics. The way they'll handle it (again, rumor) is that Pym was Ant-Man in the 60's and in the present day, Scott Lang steals the Ant-Man tech (Pym Particles) from Pym... which is pretty much the way it happened in the comics (the stealing, not the time span).

Of all the Marvel movies - including Guardians of the Galaxy - this one is the biggest head-scratcher. There's nothing wrong with the character, but everything I've read about the production of the flick just screams boom-or-bust.

Rumor has it that Douglas will be Pym and Rudd will be Scott Lang - both are Ant-Man in the comics. The way they'll handle it (again, rumor) is that Pym was Ant-Man in the 60's and in the present day, Scott Lang steals the Ant-Man tech (Pym Particles) from Pym... which is pretty much the way it happened in the comics (the stealing, not the time span).

Of all the Marvel movies - including Guardians of the Galaxy - this one is the biggest head-scratcher. There's nothing wrong with the character, but everything I've read about the production of the flick just screams boom-or-bust.
Doesn't seem like the best character to develop. Of course since they don't control X-Men, Spider-Man or the Fantastic Four that does limit the universe a bit.

Agreed. I think they are botching this one big time.

whos cast as Janet the wasp?

Can you really have a Pym story without her?

I dont even know who scott lang is, wouldnt Goliath/Giant Man be a better angel than Ant Man?

I do however like Ultron as a villian alot, I remember when the Avengers (west coast) comics laucnhed and they had a good arc with Ironman, hawkeye, vision vs Grim reaper & ultron (some really lame characters like tigra & mockingbird too)

As a Dr. Strange fan I'd love to see this character moved up in the pecking order. Sounds like it's on the table as part of the "Phase 3" plan.

I dont even know who scott lang is, wouldnt Goliath/Giant Man be a better angel than Ant Man?

I do however like Ultron as a villian alot, I remember when the Avengers (west coast) comics laucnhed and they had a good arc with Ironman, hawkeye, vision vs Grim reaper & ultron (some really lame characters like tigra & mockingbird too)
I remember that arc well. It was shortly after they did their big time travel story. Tigra was pretty lame (still is), but Mockingbird has come a long way - they've made her into a pretty badass character. So much so, I'm quite surprised they haven't tapped her for Agents of SHIELD (she's been a SHIELD agent in the comics, so it fits).

Scott Lang is/was Ant-Man in the comics during a time when Pym wasn't using the name. Not sure where he is right now, to be honest. There's too many Avengers books to keep track of.

Not to diverge, but speaking of villains, it is a sin that Time Warner (DC Comics) has not done anything with Solomon Grundy. It is funny how some of these groups (Marvel and DC movie co's) miss the easy layups, and try to make something like Ant-Man work.

Normally, I do not hijack threads, but Ant-Man is going to be awful, so I don't mind stealing its thunder.

Not to diverge, but speaking of villains, it is a sin that Time Warner (DC Comics) has not done anything with Solomon Grundy. It is funny how some of these groups (Marvel and DC movie co's) miss the easy layups, and try to make something like Ant-Man work.

Normally, I do not hijack threads, but Ant-Man is going to be awful, so I don't mind stealing its thunder.
Well, the good news is that Edgar Wright is directing...the guy who did Shaun of the Dead, Scott Pilgrim, etc...

Doesn't seem like the best character to develop. Of course since they don't control X-Men, Spider-Man or the Fantastic Four that does limit the universe a bit.
yeah, having some properties beyond their control in a hindrance. I'm not very enthusiastic about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in the next Avengers film since they have to completely separated from their father, Magneto.

Black Panther seems like a great character to develop. But maybe that's out of their realm to since he's married to Storm.

yeah, having some properties beyond their control in a hindrance. I'm not very enthusiastic about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in the next Avengers film since they have to completely separated from their father, Magneto.

Black Panther seems like a great character to develop. But maybe that's out of their realm to since he's married to Storm.
I'm kind of surprised Disney hasn't tried to wrest control from Sony or Fox. As I recall Fox was willing to give up their rights for proper compensation like a piece of the action. In the long run even if you have to give up a cut you'd think having the IP back in one place would be very worth it.

Edgar Wright's concept for the Ant Man movie was always to have a Hank Pym story set in the past and a Scott Lang part set in the present. Rudd could either be playing Lang or playing the younger Pym (with Douglas playing an aged Pym in Lang's time).

Pretty sure Wesley Snipes was working with Marvel on a Black Panther film before he jumped into Blade instead. Not sure what became of Black Panther after that.

How Ant Man was green lighted over a DeadPool movie I'll never know.

It will eternally suck that Marvel's properties are divided out amongst various movie studios.

Sony will never relinquish the web-slinger so we'll never see him in an Avengers flick and we'll never get the Kingpin in a spidey movie which sucks.

It will eternally suck that Marvel's properties are divided out amongst various movie studios.

Sony will never relinquish the web-slinger so we'll never see him in an Avengers flick and we'll never get the Kingpin in a spidey movie which sucks.
Never is a long time. Sony Pictures has been struggling lately. They already started cutting production last year and have started splitting movie costs with studios like Paramount rather than fully funding them. At some point they may need to let Spidey go. It won't be cheap unless they are basically bankrupt but it might be hard to over pay for it. Fans would love Marvel getting it back and may even put up with one more origin story.

Never is a long time. Sony Pictures has been struggling lately. They already started cutting production last year and have started splitting movie costs with studios like Paramount rather than fully funding them. At some point they may need to let Spidey go. It won't be cheap unless they are basically bankrupt but it might be hard to over pay for it. Fans would love Marvel getting it back and may even put up with one more origin story.
I guess by never I meant my lifetime... or until I don't care anymore. The latter is probably shorter than the former.

danielmclark said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

I remember that arc well. It was shortly after they did their big time travel story. Tigra was pretty lame (still is), but Mockingbird has come a long way - they've made her into a pretty badass character. So much so, I'm quite surprised they haven't tapped her for Agents of SHIELD (she's been a SHIELD agent in the comics, so it fits).

Scott Lang is/was Ant-Man in the comics during a time when Pym wasn't using the name. Not sure where he is right now, to be honest. There's too many Avengers books to keep track of.
last I recall they killed mockingbird in a story.

Will they ever introduce Wonderman? I remember earths mighest heroes(cartoon) had him in there and it was pretty good, afterall his brainwaives were what was used to make the visions mind, (by hank pym or was it ultron???)

Dentist said:

Different studios. Deadpool is with Fox, and after the reception that Origins: Wolverine got, I think they back-burner'ed the Deadpool solo flick.

Dentist said:

Different studios. Deadpool is with Fox, and after the reception that Origins: Wolverine got, I think they back-burner'ed the Deadpool solo flick.
Bum deal... Deadpool isn't really a mutant... I hated the Ryan Reynolds deadpool, it was a stupid take on the character.

Maybe that's just one of those characters that won't be able to easily make a transition from book to screen since no one really likes disfigured charcters and the level of action you'd need to truly represent deadpool would be R to NC-17 rated stuff

Dentist said:

Bum deal... Deadpool isn't really a mutant... I hated the Ryan Reynolds deadpool, it was a stupid take on the character.

Maybe that's just one of those characters that won't be able to easily make a transition from book to screen since no one really likes disfigured charcters and the level of action you'd need to truly represent deadpool would be R to NC-17 rated stuff
The comedic Deadpool was great. It would be great to see a film with that version.

They confirmed at comicon this year that in the movieverse Pym had nothing to do with ultron.

They confirmed at comicon this year that in the movieverse Pym had nothing to do with ultron.
I'm wondering if they didn't change their position on this due to severe fan backlash. . . they've cast Ant Man earlier than anticipated, they're doing additional shooting on CA: Winter Soldier (possible post-credits Antman/Ultron tie-in?) this month, Thor's post-credit tie-in was more with Guardians of the Galaxy, and CA:WS is their last chance for an established Avenger to tie in with Ultron before A2. If they can use a post-credit intro of Pym/AntMan/Ultron, they can really lead up to A2 with more momentum than GotG will give them. I suspect they'll tie-in more with Thanos for A3.

I'm wondering if they didn't change their position on this due to severe fan backlash. . . they've cast Ant Man earlier than anticipated, they're doing additional shooting on CA: Winter Soldier (possible post-credits Antman/Ultron tie-in?) this month, Thor's post-credit tie-in was more with Guardians of the Galaxy, and CA:WS is their last chance for an established Avenger to tie in with Ultron before A2. If they can use a post-credit intro of Pym/AntMan/Ultron, they can really lead up to A2 with more momentum than GotG will give them. I suspect they'll tie-in more with Thanos for A3.
Thanos is the villain in GotG, do you think he'll be back for Avengers 3? I don't think they will make an infinity gauntlet story arc.

Thanos is the villain in GotG, do you think he'll be back for Avengers 3? I don't think they will make an infinity gauntlet story arc.
From my reading, it looks like Thanos IS being slated as the Big Bad for A3. GotG's primary antagonist is Ronan The Accuser (working for Thanos). Given the new Infinity Stone in Thor TDW, and its post-credit scene with The Collector ("One down. Five to go."), and that Kevin Feige said a third infinity stone will be in Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm fairly certain they ARE going for an Infinity Gauntlet arc.

I really do hope Disney uses its Marvel/Star Wars receipts to invest and buyout X-Men/FF/Spider-Man/etc. over the next few years. Would love to see a Secret Wars movie made.

Thanos is in the movie, but is not the main villain. It's Ronan the Accuser and I believe that The Collector is in it as well.

I really do hope Disney uses its Marvel/Star Wars receipts to invest and buyout X-Men/FF/Spider-Man/etc. over the next few years. Would love to see a Secret Wars movie made.
I would love for them to bring it all back together. So many cross story lines open up immediately. Shoot Spiderman alone has been part of pretty much every title they have done for decades. I can't think of any major Marvel character, for that matter very many minor ones, that haven't crossed his path. Bunch of the villains as well of course. It would just throw the Marvel universe wide open.

Thanos is in the movie, but is not the main villain. It's Ronan the Accuser and I believe that The Collector is in it as well.
This is my understanding as well. The Collector after credits shot definitely appeared to be the infinity gauntlet arc.

This is my understanding as well. The Collector after credits shot definitely appeared to be the infinity gauntlet arc.
I agree, Infinity Gauntlet is the long play for the movie universe.

I never saw the after credits teaser. I didn't watch it in theaters <_< .

Well I'm a little more excited then, I was really bummed when I found out Thanos wouldn't be the big bad in Avengers 2. Best villain in the entire Marvel universe.

Edit: Just read a breakdown of the teaser from the new Thor. I didn't realize that the Aether and the Tesseract are apparently infinity gems. I had always assumed that the Tesseract was the cosmic cube... but if the Aether and Tesseract are infinity gems then they've completely changed the idea of the gems themselves. Previously the infinity gems were very focused items that gave you power over specific aspects of the space/time. The tesseract and the aether just appear to be pure energy with no actual focus, I mean they were able to open a wormhole in space with the tesseract so I guess its the space gem?

I never saw the after credits teaser. I didn't watch it in theaters <_< .

Well I'm a little more excited then, I was really bummed when I found out Thanos wouldn't be the big bad in Avengers 2. Best villain in the entire Marvel universe.

Edit: Just read a breakdown of the teaser from the new Thor. I didn't realize that the Aether and the Tesseract are apparently infinity gems. I had always assumed that the Tesseract was the cosmic cube... but if the Aether and Tesseract are infinity gems then they've completely changed the idea of the gems themselves. Previously the infinity gems were very focused items that gave you power over specific aspects of the space/time. The tesseract and the aether just appear to be pure energy with no actual focus, I mean they were able to open a wormhole in space with the tesseract so I guess its the space gem?
That would be my guess, yes. But I'm not sure they're doing a 1:1 version of the infinity gems from the comics... it could be that they are what they are - a cube, for example - and Thanos is just collecting them all with no gauntlet required.

For those unaware... the big Phase 2 Marvel has the Avengers 2 Age of Ultron as its centerpiece.

Henry Pym has a long and storied history with Marvel in many different facets. Ant Man the movie is piece number 1 of Phase 3.

Pym created Ultron.

*Though the film creators did say that the adaption would be for film and not specifically carry over the comic book canon.

Whedon on Age of Ultron:

“Well, because there was a book called 'Age of Ultron' quite recently, a lot of people have assumed that is what we're doing, but that is not the case,” Whedon reportedly reveals in the interview. “We're doing our own version of the origin story for Ultron. In the origin story, there was Hank Pym, so a lot of people assumed that he will be in the mix. He's not. We're basically taking the things from the comics for the movies that we need and can use. A lot of stuff has to fall by the wayside."

"We're crafting our own version of it where his origin comes more directly from The Avengers we already know about.” Whedon reportedly continues. “It's a little bit darker than the other film because Ultron is in the house. There's a science fiction theme that wasn't there in the other one. Ultron is definitely something that evolves, so we're going to get together a couple of different iterations. Nothing can be translated exactly as it was from the comics; particularly Ultron."
"We're crafting our own version of it where his origin comes more directly from The Avengers we already know about.” Whedon reportedly continues. “It's a little bit darker than the other film because Ultron is in the house. There's a science fiction theme that wasn't there in the other one. Ultron is definitely something that evolves, so we're going to get together a couple of different iterations. Nothing can be translated exactly as it was from the comics; particularly Ultron."
I hate how much this sounds like they don't want any new characters stepping on old characters toes. Between Banner and Stark theres no room for a third scientist, who is smarter than both of them and creates Ultron -- no big deal...

We're never gonna see the pissing contests between Richards, Banner, Stark and Pym.

Users who are viewing this thread