What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (2 Viewers)

interesting that you read all the marvel stuff I won't touch, and I read all the stuff you won't touch... Superior Spider-Man, Spider-Man Team-Up, enjoyed Scarlet Spider and Venom while they were going, superior carnage... basically if it's in the spider-man world I'm reading it... if it's in the Deadpool world I'm reading it... and if it's in the Daredevil world, I might read it... none of which you mentioned.

something for everyone I guess.
Slipped my mind, big list.

I'm loving the current Scarlett Spider as well as Venom
spoiler alert - they both both got cancelled and are over now.... oh well

when those got cancelled i decided i needed at least one more new issue so i've caught up on daredevil, which has been great, and also then got cancelled to be rebooted

interesting that you read all the marvel stuff I won't touch, and I read all the stuff you won't touch... Superior Spider-Man, Spider-Man Team-Up, enjoyed Scarlet Spider and Venom while they were going, superior carnage... basically if it's in the spider-man world I'm reading it... if it's in the Deadpool world I'm reading it... and if it's in the Daredevil world, I might read it... none of which you mentioned.

when those got cancelled i decided i needed at least one more new issue so i've caught up on daredevil, which has been great, and also then got cancelled to be rebooted
WTF, I knew Venom was getting cancelled back in Q4 2013, but I had no idea Scarlett Spider was getting canned. I thought they were building up to some new team-up.

Run It Up said:
Dentist said:
Run It Up said:
Dentist said:

WTF, I knew Venom was getting cancelled back in Q4 2013, but I had no idea Scarlett Spider was getting canned. I thought they were building up to some new team-up.
yeah, got cancelled, they had to kind of rush to finish up a story line, and now he's going to be a part of the "New Warriors"... which is great, but not really

danielmclark said:
If it seems that way, it's because you're not understanding me. I don't know if that's my fault or yours, but I never said The Heroic Age and The New 52 were the same thing. I said Marvel NOW and The Heroic Age were the same thing. They are both branding initiatives that included a small slate of new #1's and some relaunches. They are nothing like the New 52 because they didn't push the reset button on the characters themselves the way New 52 did.
The creativity has been mostly at DC over the past 15 years? Let's recap a little of what's happened in the last 15 years - that puts us back to 1999, yes? Nothing happened in 1999. Nothing happened in 2000. 2001 gave us Our Worlds at War, a minor event similar to 1988's Invasion event. 2002 was a small Joker event, Last Laugh. 2004, Identity Crisis, a genuinely good series. 2005, Infinite Crisis, another Crisis event. Total lack of creativity. 2006, 52, the big news there was that it was a weekly series. Ooooh. Yeah, that's never been done before, except it absolutely has - and DC themselves did it with Action Comics Weekly in the late 80's. Let's see, what else. 2007, Countdown to Final Crisis, another weekly series just like 52, nothing particularly creative there. Then Final Crisis in 2008, yet another Crisis event - the second in three years! It took DC twenty years to do another Crisis after Infinite Earths, but the lack of creativity was so massive at DC in the 00's that they went back to that well twice in three years. They wrapped up the old universe with Blackest Night in 2009 - Marvel had already done a couple of Marvel Zombies series at that point, so zombified heroes weren't exactly new - then another weekly series in 2010 just like Countdown and 52. Then we got the New 52! A massive reboot of all the classic characters! Surely that's never been done before! Except that totally had been done before when DC themselves rebooted all their Golden Age characters in the early 60's to catch up with Marvel, who was ushering in the Silver Age. The only difference was back then, they didn't do a Flashpoint-style event to make the transition, they just introduced all the rebooted characters organically.

Whew. Now, obviously that's just the events, but if you want to talk about individual story arcs or series or characters, that's beyond the scope of this thread, which I acknowledge that I've completely derailed already (but I'd like to turn that around after this).

I've been collecting comics and keeping up with the industry for 30 years. I'm not perfect, I don't have all the answers or every scrap of information in my head. But I know the trends. I'm not always right, but I've got the broad strokes down. DC Comics over the last 15 years was getting killed so badly that they felt they needed to wipe out their entire universe and start over. What you see as creativity? It wasn't. It was a response to decades of getting crushed by Marvel at every turn. It was a business decision.

Lastly, I'm a huge DC fan. I know it doesn't sound like it, but my first comic was Crisis on Infinite Earths #10, and I was a staunch DC fanboy for years. I only started reading Marvel in the early 90's, and even then, I thought it was inferior to my beloved DC. I've since gotten older and more objective, but my heart still lies with DC. I just hate what the current executive team has wrought. Jim Lee continues to be the worst thing that ever happened to the industry and Dan DiDio needs to be booted out of the industry. And maybe they should stop hiring people, like Bob Harras, who were in charge at Marvel in the 90's and who ran the company into the ground. DC needs a turnaround because even after alienating all their die hard fans with the New 52, they're still losing to Marvel. And I hate that.

Let's go back to the Marvel Cinematic Universe discussion. This has been fun, but waaaaay off-topic :lol:
Well thought out post and really do not want to argue - just discuss. Now maybe my 15 year window was wrong.

Just curious what you would consider brilliant work by Marvel. At DC, they seem to have more iconic recent work than Marvel - Sandman, Dark Night Returns, All Star Superman, Superman Earth One and I think the current Batman will be iconic. I don't see that type of work at Marvel over the same period of time (which looks like it was over 15 years - which was my original erroneous statement).

You might throw out Civil War - I thought it was a forced storyline and not that good. Heroes Reborn would register but even that ended poorly.

On to the cinematic universe - said it before and I will say it again here - I think Ultron is a better Avengers 3 villain than two. Power levels put him in a class with Loki. I trust Whedon will right a good story - but I think a Masters of Evil would have been a better Avenger 2 story as it would have been a team vs team approach and the battles would have been funner at an individual level.

Cap, Hawkeye, and Widow are going to have the same battle issues as part 1 - relegated to clean up duty cuz they can't go toe to toe with Ultron.

danielmclark said:
<snip>
Well thought out post and really do not want to argue - just discuss. Now maybe my 15 year window was wrong.

Just curious what you would consider brilliant work by Marvel. At DC, they seem to have more iconic recent work than Marvel - Sandman, Dark Night Returns, All Star Superman, Superman Earth One and I think the current Batman will be iconic. I don't see that type of work at Marvel over the same period of time (which looks like it was over 15 years - which was my original erroneous statement).

You might throw out Civil War - I thought it was a forced storyline and not that good. Heroes Reborn would register but even that ended poorly.

On to the cinematic universe - said it before and I will say it again here - I think Ultron is a better Avengers 3 villain than two. Power levels put him in a class with Loki. I trust Whedon will right a good story - but I think a Masters of Evil would have been a better Avenger 2 story as it would have been a team vs team approach and the battles would have been funner at an individual level.

Cap, Hawkeye, and Widow are going to have the same battle issues as part 1 - relegated to clean up duty cuz they can't go toe to toe with Ultron.
Just discussin :) Sandman ended in 1996 and Dark Knight Returns was 1986, but the other three you mentioned were more recent. I agree, those are all seminal projects. The current run on Batman will definitely be remembered. From Marvel in the past many years, I'd say Avengers Disassembled, House of M, Civil War, Annihilation/War of Kings, World War Hulk, and Infinity. Throw in the X-Men arc that brought the original X-Men up from the past, I think. The 90's were not kind to Marvel. There's almost nothing I would say is really iconic during that period... but the 80's? Oh, man. Secret Wars, Mutant Massacre, Inferno, Fall of the Mutants? Just fantastic.

Ultron would have been a great choice for Avengers 3, but they reeeeally wanted to do Thanos. Knowing that, Ultron had to be the Big Bad for Avengers 2. And I fully agree, I'm not expecting much from Hawkeye or Black Widow in Avengers 2 either. I suspect that's one of the reasons we're getting Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch - Hawkeye and Black Widow will likely be relegated to the background.

Who wins in a fight, Thanos or Hulk? ...Hulk, right?
Depends on the writer. Thanos has been defeated by Squirrel Girl, after all. It's the writer that dictates the outcome of the fight, not the characters - or else Batman would lose to Superman every time instead of the other way around.

Well, assuming he Isn't jacked up on Cosmic Cube energy or doesn't currently possess the infinity gauntlet or gems, he's still immortal. While the Hulk has limitless strength and in his current incarnation is no longer a mindless beast, Banner still isn't as smart as Thanos.

Basically outside of physical strength Thanos has Hulk beat in every measure, his body is just as durable as the Hulk's, hes just as fast if not quicker, does not require air or food and is undying. Thanos also has pretty top tier psychic abilities as well as some mystical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, assuming he Isn't jacked up on Cosmic Cube energy or doesn't currently possess the infinity gauntlet or gems, he's still immortal. While the Hulk has limitless strength and in his current incarnation is no longer a mindless beast, Banner still isn't as smart as Thanos.

Basically outside of physical strength Thanos has Hulk beat in every measure, his body is just as durable as the Hulk's, hes just as fast if not quicker, does not require air or food and is undying. Thanos also has pretty top tier psychic abilities as well as some mystical.
All true... and Thanos should beat Hulk or Thor. But when its the final of the finals, and the title is up for grabs and everything is on the line, heroes tend to be heroic and overachieve.

The Infinity Gauntlet and associated stones/gems are going to be a part of the story going forward I believe. I assume since The Collector is going to be in Guardians of the Galaxy that we will get more info on the stones/gems eventually leading to the gauntlet for Avengers 3.

Depends on the writer. Thanos has been defeated by Squirrel Girl, after all. It's the writer that dictates the outcome of the fight, not the characters - or else Batman would lose to Superman every time instead of the other way around.
if I remember right, isn't Squirrel Girl actually like the most powerful non-deity character in the Marvel Universe, though?

I seem to remember her list of one-on-one defeats being pretty ridiculous...

if I remember right, isn't Squirrel Girl actually like the most powerful non-deity character in the Marvel Universe, though?

Well techincally, they're not one-on-one. More like one-on-one+a million squirrels.

But afaik, Squirrel Girl doesn't really exist in the main universe. She's mainly in just the more humorous comics (you know when Deadpool helps her find her boyfriend by giving her a comic book of the actual comic book that they're in so she can read ahead.)

Well techincally, they're not one-on-one. More like one-on-one+a million squirrels.

But afaik, Squirrel Girl doesn't really exist in the main universe. She's mainly in just the more humorous comics (you know when Deadpool helps her find her boyfriend by giving her a comic book of the actual comic book that they're in so she can read ahead.)
no, she defeated Thanos and Dr. Doom in the 616 universe.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Doreen_Green_%28Earth-616%29

quotes:

Doreen Green was born a mutant with squirrel-like attributes. With her new powers she wished to be a superheroine under the name of Squirrel Girl. She ambushed Iron Man in a forest and hoped to impress the veteran hero, wishing him to take her under his wing as his sidekick[1].

Unimpressed, Iron Man politely declined, when suddenly the duo was attacked by Doctor Doom in a large aircraft. Doom captured and subdued Iron Man, and began to fly out over the ocean where he planned to dispose of Iron Man's body once he killed him. Underestimating her, Doom left Squirrel Girl to her own devices. She devised a plan, and used her ability to communicate with squirrels through an open door as the ship passed over the forest. Hundreds of squirrels answered her call and flooded Doom's ship, chewing through the wires, and swamping the evil dictator with their furry bodies.

Confound these wretched rodents! For every one I fling away, a dozen more vex me! --Doctor Doom Iron Man was freed, they emerged victorious, and the two heroes went their separate ways
she then joined the Great Lake Avengers (who are 616 and legit).

further:

Squirrel Girl and Tippy Toe managed to individually defeat M.O.D.O.K.[5], Terrax[5], and Thanos[5]. Uatu, the Earth's Watcher, was on hand to confirm that the Thanos she defeated was the real thing, and not a clone or copy of any kind
after defeating M.O.D.O.K., she was offered a spot in SHIELD, but declined because she likes GLA.

She also beat Deadpool before Deadpool briefly joined the GLA/GLI/etc.

Its "fringe", but its 616 and Canon and legit, even if its funky and weird.

from trivia:

• There is evidence that Squirrel Girl and Wolverine once dated[15].
  • While Squirrel Girl's abilities seem silly, her fight record is almost unparallelled. She has defeated:

I thought this was going to be about the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Holy crap did this thread get very boring very quickly.

I appreciate them as much as anybody, but GO AWAY, comic :nerd:'s!

I thought this was going to be about the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Holy crap did this thread get very boring very quickly.

I appreciate them as much as anybody, but GO AWAY, comic :nerd:'s!
Without the comic nerds there would be no cinematic universe so ead

Vision is one my favorites. I guess they will have to mess with canon a bit to get him in there at this point but isn't the first time.
Really the only thing that needs to be changed is that Vision's brain patterns are based on Wonderman's. And even that can be incorporated into a story in a future movie.

Vision is one my favorites. I guess they will have to mess with canon a bit to get him in there at this point but isn't the first time.
Really the only thing that needs to be changed is that Vision's brain patterns are based on Wonderman's. And even that can be incorporated into a story in a future movie.
Don't they have to change his origin story a bit as well?

Vision's? He was created by Ultron to basically be his henchman. Not sure why that needs to change.

Vision's? He was created by Ultron to basically be his henchman. Not sure why that needs to change.
green vision or white ghost style vision?

No idea what to think about this. Can't really see the guy from parks and rec as a leading hero, but then again it looks almost like a comedy...could be great, could be terrible.
GotG is very much a pulpy scifi comic. Very Starwars-esque with Star-lord being a puckish Han Solo. Also, Groot and Rocket Raccoon are awesome.

Loved that they didn't shy away from the Nova corp, hoping to see a Nova cameo.

No idea what to think about this. Can't really see the guy from parks and rec as a leading hero, but then again it looks almost like a comedy...could be great, could be terrible.
GotG is very much a pulpy scifi comic. Very Starwars-esque with Star-lord being a puckish Han Solo. Also, Groot and Rocket Raccoon are awesome.Loved that they didn't shy away from the Nova corp, hoping to see a Nova cameo.
I think Chris Pratt is going to nail this. I've been pretty enthused about the prospects for the movie all along, and the trailer did little to temper my expectations.

A Fantastic Four reboot? I actually thought the second one was solid. They should just keep building off of that one with new actors if they want. How many ####### origin stories do we have to sit through?

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/fantastic-four-reboot-cast-revealed-3165133

A black dude playing human torch? Guess hes not Sue Storm's sister in this? lol
I don't think he was ever her sister.
Johnny Storm was never Sue Storm's sister?
Nope. Never once that I am aware of. I haven't read all alternative universe comics though was he ever a woman?
LMAO wtf is wrong with me? :bag:

Nope. Never once that I am aware of. I haven't read all alternative universe comics though was he ever a woman?
It's early we'll write it off to low caffeine levels.

It's early we'll write it off to low caffeine levels.
:lmao: :bag:

Put me in the low caffeine level camp. Going to get a Coke Zero right now.

Apparently last night the first 10 minutes of Captain America: The Winter Soldier was released. Every place I am trying to find it online has what seems like the clip ready to be played, but then I keep getting an error. Anybody have a working link?

ABC aired a nice 1 hour long promo on the Marvel Universe. Ed Norton was editted completely out :)

While it was a fluff piece, it was very well done and went through all the movies, the shorts, the TV show and the two upcoming movies and ended with a quick look at Avengers 2.

You can find it on your normal torrent sites. It is called Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe

ABC aired a nice 1 hour long promo on the Marvel Universe. Ed Norton was editted completely out :)

While it was a fluff piece, it was very well done and went through all the movies, the shorts, the TV show and the two upcoming movies and ended with a quick look at Avengers 2.

You can find it on your normal torrent sites. It is called Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe
I wrongly assumed this would get DVR'd in Shields time slot. I'd like to see it, I wonder if it will be on ABC.com.

I wrongly assumed this would get DVR'd in Shields time slot. I'd like to see it, I wonder if it will be on ABC.com.
I missed it, too. I just searched my listings, and it is set to replay Saturday night at 8 PM.

I missed it, too. I just searched my listings, and it is set to replay Saturday night at 8 PM.
Thanks. Sucks that the station/production company/whatever can't figure out how to make this work on my DVR. Hey guys: my VCR would have captured this for me with the good ol' weekly timer setting.

Thanks. Sucks that the station/production company/whatever can't figure out how to make this work on my DVR. Hey guys: my VCR would have captured this for me with the good ol' weekly timer setting.
Every DVR has a mode where you can record things based on time instead of name. That little used feature is probably buried in the menu's some where but that has been a staple since Replay and Tivo came out almost 15 years ago.

My mistake (and it was my mistake not the providers) was not realizing that the name of the show was going to be different.

I wonder if a lot of Shield viewers ended up missing this for the same reason. If this thread is an indication, I bet a lot did.

I had to grab it off a torrent site but I am glad they are replaying it.

Every DVR has a mode where you can record things based on time instead of name. That little used feature is probably buried in the menu's some where but that has been a staple since Replay and Tivo came out almost 15 years ago.

My mistake (and it was my mistake not the providers) was not realizing that the name of the show was going to be different.

I wonder if a lot of Shield viewers ended up missing this for the same reason. If this thread is an indication, I bet a lot did.

Yeah...I'm going with the providers mistake. Disney/ABC should be a tad more concerned about viewership of their programming than me. Not that it's just them. I have no idea why "the industry" wouldn't find a fix for this. The ad firms should be putting pressure on them for this type of thing imo.

That's how the free market is supposed to work, right?

To be fair at the end of the last SHIELD when they advertised the special, they did say the special was called "Secrets of the MARVEL Universe" or whatever.

Yeah...I'm going with the providers mistake. Disney/ABC should be a tad more concerned about viewership of their programming than me. Not that it's just them. I have no idea why "the industry" wouldn't find a fix for this. The ad firms should be putting pressure on them for this type of thing imo.

That's how the free market is supposed to work, right?
So, you want networks to be able to tell your DVR to record programs other than what you tell it to based on the network thinking it would be of interest to you? Yeah, I don't see any problems with that. I'll just program my DVR to record Big Bang Theory and the network forces it to record 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly, 2.5 men, Mom, Crazy Ones, Friends with Better Lives, The Millers and Undercover Boss.

. Thanks :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread