What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (3 Viewers)

TheFanatic said:
With the Defenders, I feel like I need to watch the individual shows. Are any of them OK for kids?
My boys are 11 and 9, and no way would I let them watch these.  I think 13 or 15 up is ok.  Very mature content in some of these.  it's not constant, but it's there.  Aside from that, there is a ton of dialogue that I know my boys would get bored sitting through with these. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bringing discussion over here from the GoG2 thread.

packersfan said:
NewlyRetired said:
I thought that was the initial theory but the writer eventually came out and said it was set in 2016.

============================================

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1582629/when-in-the-mcu-does-doctor-strange-take-place

Let's start with what we know for a fact. Over the weekend, several fans asked Doctor Strange co-writer C. Robert Cargill on Twitter if the movie is set before Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Remember, Jasper Sitwell named Stephen Strange as one of Project Insight's potential targets, and a benevolent sorcerer would definitely classify as an enemy of HYDRA. However, Cargill debunked that idea, saying that Doctor Strange begins in 2016. A brief shot of Avengers Tower in New York City confirms that, meaning that the events of Avengers: Age of Ultron have already occurred. So when we met the egotistical Stephen Strange as a surgeon, it's early into 2016, though it's harder to determine the month. I'm guessing sometime in February, but that is in no way official.
Hmmm. Still not sure how this makes sense given the Winter Soldier/Strange reference. I know he could've been on Hydra's list before becoming a sorcerer but any references in the Strange film about him being someone the Ancient One had been watching for some time (which were in the trailer) were cut out of the film. So this doesn't seem to match up.

But this is probably a discussion for the MCU thread, not this one.  

ETA - one thing that is bothering me about the Marvel films is how much stuff that's put into the trailers that are cut from the final film. There was a lot of that in Civil War, Strange and things in this film too. Maybe it's happening in all films and I'm not paying as much attention since I don't tend to watch other trailers as extensively as I do the Marvel ones. But it does take me out of the film at times and leads me to watch the films more than once. So maybe it's just brilliant marketing.
The Sorcerer Supreme's knowledge of him was explained well enough in the movie, and was unrelated to Hydra having him on the target list.

The Sorcerer Supreme said she watched the future and couldn't see past the moment that turns out to be her death. So she obviously would have seen Strange when doing so.  Whether she picked up the details she knew about him because she watched him, or was just able to pick them up from viewing the future, I don't think we know, and it doesn't seem too important either way.

But none of that has any bearing on Winter Soldier. Strange was famous as a neurosurgeon, and his mention in Winter Soldier was as an example of a celebrity who the algorithm found could become a threat to Hydra. A TV anchor in Cairo and a high school valedictorian in Iowa City got mentioned in the same breath. It wasn't a discussion of super powered folks specifically. They could have used Neil Degrasse Tyson's name instead as a celebrity, and it wouldn't have been about him developing powers either.

(Though as an aside, Neil Degrasse Tyson does of course have super powers in real life. But we should probably save that for the Neil Degrasse Tyson thread...)  ;)

Lucky you. My wife has no interest in this kind of stuff. No Star Wars, Super Heros, James Bond, Sci Fi in general, etc.
Same.  Thankfully I have 4 boys, the oldest is 14 so he's able to see most movies (still hasn't seen deadpool but I told him if his brothers and mom leave for a day we could watch it). The two of us at least and maybe his 12yo and 8yo brothers will go see gotg2.  Although our 12yo doesn't like going to movies. 

I should do this more, but can't bring myself to do it. I've seen exactly one movie by myself. Nobody would go see the Passion of the Christ so I went alone. But it's stupid that I don't. Like you said. I'm not sitting there chatting it up with people during the movie. 
Only movie I saw myself in the theatre was superman returns, which was while I was studying for the bar and living in a hotel room alone - we had just sold our house and the wife took the kids (2 at the time) and moved in with her parents. It might be that SR sucked that I haven't done it since.  But you're absolutely right, no reason not to.  

Bringing discussion over here from the GoG2 thread.

The Sorcerer Supreme's knowledge of him was explained well enough in the movie, and was unrelated to Hydra having him on the target list.

The Sorcerer Supreme said she watched the future and couldn't see past the moment that turns out to be her death. So she obviously would have seen Strange when doing so.  Whether she picked up the details she knew about him because she watched him, or was just able to pick them up from viewing the future, I don't think we know, and it doesn't seem too important either way.

But none of that has any bearing on Winter Soldier. Strange was famous as a neurosurgeon, and his mention in Winter Soldier was as an example of a celebrity who the algorithm found could become a threat to Hydra. A TV anchor in Cairo and a high school valedictorian in Iowa City got mentioned in the same breath. It wasn't a discussion of super powered folks specifically. They could have used Neil Degrasse Tyson's name instead as a celebrity, and it wouldn't have been about him developing powers either.

(Though as an aside, Neil Degrasse Tyson does of course have super powers in real life. But we should probably save that for the Neil Degrasse Tyson thread...)  ;)
Good explanation and it makes sense this way. 

As far as the Ancient One watching Strange for a long time I wish that line hadn't been removed from the film. I like the idea that Strange was always destined to become the Sorcerer Supreme. I think it's still clear in the film that he always possessed dormant powers that would lead him down this specific path but something about everything being laid out clearly for him and his fate appeals to me. Not a huge deal, I still thought the film was great, just something that appeals to me. :)

There are actually theories about those two unnamed individuals mentioned by Sitwell. Some think the valedictorian could be Amadeus Cho who is the new Hulk in the comics. And the man in Cairo could be referring to Moon Knight who is the avatar of the Egyptian god Khonshu.

Project Insight was supposed to be a predictive algorithm developed by Zola that would identify threats before they even knew they were threats. It's therefore plausible that it foresaw Strange's ascendance to the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme before he had his accident.

There are actually theories about those two unnamed individuals mentioned by Sitwell. Some think the valedictorian could be Amadeus Cho who is the new Hulk in the comics. And the man in Cairo could be referring to Moon Knight who is the avatar of the Egyptian god Khonshu.

Project Insight was supposed to be a predictive algorithm developed by Zola that would identify threats before they even knew they were threats. It's therefore plausible that it foresaw Strange's ascendance to the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme before he had his accident.

I think those theories are spot on, very cool.

With Strange, he could have been on the list simply for being the world's best neurosurgeon.  He could either help Hydra's enemies who were injured get better, or he could have been a kidnapping target to help heal (or potentially enhance) Hydra assets.

Same.  Thankfully I have 4 boys, the oldest is 14 so he's able to see most movies (still hasn't seen deadpool but I told him if his brothers and mom leave for a day we could watch it). The two of us at least and maybe his 12yo and 8yo brothers will go see gotg2.  Although our 12yo doesn't like going to movies. 

Only movie I saw myself in the theatre was superman returns, which was while I was studying for the bar and living in a hotel room alone - we had just sold our house and the wife took the kids (2 at the time) and moved in with her parents. It might be that SR sucked that I haven't done it since.  But you're absolutely right, no reason not to.  
I have 3 boys, but the oldest just turned 9, so taking them to movies is not quite there for all movies. Deadpool, obviously is a no go. I'm not sure I would even let my son watch that movie at 14. National Women's Month. Nope! Batman vs Superman was a mistake. Luckily the younger one was asleep when he went into the crypt in his dream. The oldest one, cried during that scene. That being said, they got a big kick out of Guardians of the Galaxy 

And I can understand not wanting to go back to see a movie by yourself after doing so for Superman Returns. Wow was that a terrible mess.

That sucks GB. My wife and sons love all kinds of movies, including Star Wars, MCU, Star Trek...she loved Dr Strange.
She's never seen Star Wars or any Star Trek movie. Not a single Marvel movie except maybe Howard the Duck (the original Marvel super hero movie). But she's seen every episode of my 600 pound life, hoarders, and whatever other craptastic "reality" TV show there is to watch. 

With Guardians 2 slamming the ball out of the park I'm even more pumped for Spider Man Homecoming. 

And I really really really really want Infinity War to get here now.
I am a little nervous about the Spider-Man movie just because it's not solely an MCU movie, but a team-up with Sony, the studio that has managed to bungle 2 previously promising Spider-Man franchises.  I don't know how much control Feige and Marvel had over this movie, and I hope that it was enough to give it the MCU magic.  Some of the stuff with the vulture just reminds me a little of Electro and Rhino from the last Spider-Man movie.  Hopefully, it will be good and not turn out to be that the character is good in Marvel-controlled movies, but not so much in the Sony movies.

I am a little nervous about the Spider-Man movie just because it's not solely an MCU movie, but a team-up with Sony, the studio that has managed to bungle 2 previously promising Spider-Man franchises.  I don't know how much control Feige and Marvel had over this movie, and I hope that it was enough to give it the MCU magic.  Some of the stuff with the vulture just reminds me a little of Electro and Rhino from the last Spider-Man movie.  Hopefully, it will be good and not turn out to be that the character is good in Marvel-controlled movies, but not so much in the Sony movies.
Feige's is a producer so I'm confident the film will maintain the level of quality we've seen in the MCU so far. Plus, Holland was the best Peter Parker I've seen yet on film. I think he has the acting chops to pull this off.

And also, Downey's in it. You can't go wrong with Downey in a Marvel film. It's simply not possible.

packersfan said:
Feige's is a producer so I'm confident the film will maintain the level of quality we've seen in the MCU so far. Plus, Holland was the best Peter Parker I've seen yet on film. I think he has the acting chops to pull this off.

And also, Downey's in it. You can't go wrong with Downey in a Marvel film. It's simply not possible.
I don't think the actors in the previous Spider-Man movies were the problem. Usually the problems had to do with the villains and the plot. To that point, Feige's just one of the producers - this is still a Sony/Marvel movie, not Disney/Marvel. And I believe Sony is still looking to do a Sinister Six movie. Depending on how much they are trying to leverage Homecoming into something for that, things could go wrong.

Also, Downey may not be in Homecoming much more than what you see in the trailers - I wouldn't be surprised if he's in this as much as Holland was in Cap 3. He likely won't have a big impact on the movie.

packersfan said:
With Guardians 2 slamming the ball out of the park I'm even more pumped for Spider Man Homecoming. 

And I really really really really want Infinity War to get here now.
This is good to know. Haven't seen it yet and staying away from the official thread. I saw a couple of headlines from the critics that said it wasn't very good.

I don't think the actors in the previous Spider-Man movies were the problem. Usually the problems had to do with the villains and the plot. To that point, Feige's just one of the producers - this is still a Sony/Marvel movie, not Disney/Marvel. And I believe Sony is still looking to do a Sinister Six movie. Depending on how much they are trying to leverage Homecoming into something for that, things could go wrong.

Also, Downey may not be in Homecoming much more than what you see in the trailers - I wouldn't be surprised if he's in this as much as Holland was in Cap 3. He likely won't have a big impact on the movie.
I'm not expecting him to. But he's still Downey and he and Iron Man are awesome. 

bcdjr1 said:
I liked the original Toby McGwire Spiderman. 2 and 3, not so much. And the reboot, I enjoyed too. Neither was on par with just about anything else in the Marvel Space, but I didn't think they were terrible. Maybe that's just me. 

I liked the original Toby McGwire Spiderman. 2 and 3, not so much. And the reboot, I enjoyed too. Neither was on par with just about anything else in the Marvel Space, but I didn't think they were terrible. Maybe that's just me. 
I thought the first two Toby films were good. Second one very good. Third was pretty bad and didn't care much for the last two. But where Holland worked best was, for the first time in my opinion, looking and acting like a real teenager. That's huge for the whole Peter Park/Spiderman story. Plus he showed he's a pretty damn good actor to boot as the last two to play the character also are. But for the first time I feel like we're going to see a real teenage factor in the films. 

Tom Hardy tabbed to play Venom in a Spider-man solo spin off.  #### yeah

More details from Nerdist

Now all Sony has to do is let Marvel Studios and Feige take the wheel so another Spider-man 3 doesn't happen.
As hinted at in that Nerdist article, the new Venom movie won't be connected to the MCU.  It's not a spin-off and it won't have Spider-Man in it.  Instead, it'll be part of Sony's Marvel Universe.  I'm not sure how they're going to do that, but that's the way Sony's going with that.

i wish that they made a spin off called thor hulk groot and the racoon it would be about thor the incredible hulk groot and the raccon guy and they would go throughout the galaxy fighting crime but as soldiers of fortune where if you had a problem and one else could help you could call them if you could find them ok basically i want them to just remake the a team with thor hulk groot and the raccoon guy with that little spicy ringtail saying i love it when a plan comes together that would rule take that to the bank bromigos 

i wish that they made a spin off called thor hulk groot and the racoon it would be about thor the incredible hulk groot and the raccon guy and they would go throughout the galaxy fighting crime but as soldiers of fortune where if you had a problem and one else could help you could call them if you could find them ok basically i want them to just remake the a team with thor hulk groot and the raccoon guy with that little spicy ringtail saying i love it when a plan comes together that would rule take that to the bank bromigos 
I would totally watch that. Especially if SWC wrote all the dialogue. 

Don't forget a Stranger Things crossover brochacho.  El sitting on Groots shoulder, snapping necks on their way to the bank to cash checks #TakeItToTheBank

• Smile
Reactions: SWC

Users who are viewing this thread