What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (4 Viewers)

Also it was my fault on the DVR, I did see it had a different name, I just thought it was going to be Agents of Shield: building a universe

ABC aired a nice 1 hour long promo on the Marvel Universe. Ed Norton was editted completely out :)

While it was a fluff piece, it was very well done and went through all the movies, the shorts, the TV show and the two upcoming movies and ended with a quick look at Avengers 2.

You can find it on your normal torrent sites. It is called Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe
I wrongly assumed this would get DVR'd in Shields time slot. I'd like to see it, I wonder if it will be on ABC.com.
I missed it, too. I just searched my listings, and it is set to replay Saturday night at 8 PM.
Thanks. Sucks that the station/production company/whatever can't figure out how to make this work on my DVR. Hey guys: my VCR would have captured this for me with the good ol' weekly timer setting.
Every DVR has a mode where you can record things based on time instead of name. That little used feature is probably buried in the menu's some where but that has been a staple since Replay and Tivo came out almost 15 years ago.

My mistake (and it was my mistake not the providers) was not realizing that the name of the show was going to be different.

I wonder if a lot of Shield viewers ended up missing this for the same reason. If this thread is an indication, I bet a lot did.

I had to grab it off a torrent site but I am glad they are replaying it.
Yeah...I'm going with the providers mistake. Disney/ABC should be a tad more concerned about viewership of their programming than me. Not that it's just them. I have no idea why "the industry" wouldn't find a fix for this. The ad firms should be putting pressure on them for this type of thing imo.That's how the free market is supposed to work, right?
This post makes such little sense I have to be reading it wrong.

ABC aired a nice 1 hour long promo on the Marvel Universe. Ed Norton was editted completely out :)

While it was a fluff piece, it was very well done and went through all the movies, the shorts, the TV show and the two upcoming movies and ended with a quick look at Avengers 2.

You can find it on your normal torrent sites. It is called Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe
I wrongly assumed this would get DVR'd in Shields time slot. I'd like to see it, I wonder if it will be on ABC.com.
I missed it, too. I just searched my listings, and it is set to replay Saturday night at 8 PM.
Thanks. Sucks that the station/production company/whatever can't figure out how to make this work on my DVR. Hey guys: my VCR would have captured this for me with the good ol' weekly timer setting.
Every DVR has a mode where you can record things based on time instead of name. That little used feature is probably buried in the menu's some where but that has been a staple since Replay and Tivo came out almost 15 years ago.

My mistake (and it was my mistake not the providers) was not realizing that the name of the show was going to be different.

I wonder if a lot of Shield viewers ended up missing this for the same reason. If this thread is an indication, I bet a lot did.

Yeah...I'm going with the providers mistake. Disney/ABC should be a tad more concerned about viewership of their programming than me. Not that it's just them. I have no idea why "the industry" wouldn't find a fix for this. The ad firms should be putting pressure on them for this type of thing imo.

That's how the free market is supposed to work, right?
This post makes such little sense I have to be reading it wrong.

Yeah...I'm going with the providers mistake. Disney/ABC should be a tad more concerned about viewership of their programming than me. Not that it's just them. I have no idea why "the industry" wouldn't find a fix for this. The ad firms should be putting pressure on them for this type of thing imo.

That's how the free market is supposed to work, right?
So, you want networks to be able to tell your DVR to record programs other than what you tell it to based on the network thinking it would be of interest to you? Yeah, I don't see any problems with that. I'll just program my DVR to record Big Bang Theory and the network forces it to record 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly, 2.5 men, Mom, Crazy Ones, Friends with Better Lives, The Millers and Undercover Boss.
Yeah this whole line of thinking is just bizarre. He must have a different point we don't understand.

And that is not even mentioning the confusion he appears to have between a company like Disney who runs a network like ABC and a service provider like Direct TV, Fios etc.

To be fair at the end of the last SHIELD when they advertised the special, they did say the special was called "Secrets of the MARVEL Universe" or whatever.
Even if they did say that exactly, the name was different enough that I should have realized the name based look up would not work and should have set either a time based recording or just looked ahead in the guide and recorded it manually.

Completely my fault. I can't blame ABC for my mistake.

Luckily in this day and age with nearly everything stored digitally either on torrents or On Demand or online streaming, it is almost impossible to miss anything thankfully.

To be fair at the end of the last SHIELD when they advertised the special, they did say the special was called "Secrets of the MARVEL Universe" or whatever.
This is where I take issue.

You take issue with Disney not naming the show Agents of Shield even though it's about the Marvel Cinematic Universe and not just the Agents of Shield? Even if it they incorrectly called the show Agents of Shield:Blah Blah Blah most DVRs won't record that since it's not the same name.

Your inability to pay attention?

No - I take issue because it was never clear that it wouldn't show up on the DVR. It was clear to me that it had a different title but I assumed it was just the Agents of Shield episode for the week and that my DVR would catch it.

I missed it because they never told me to make sure I set my dvr, like other shows do. It doesn't matter if you feel I'm at fault. My point is that they should have done a better job of making sure I didn't miss it. Do you disagree with that?

No - I take issue because it was never clear that it wouldn't show up on the DVR. It was clear to me that it had a different title but I assumed it was just the Agents of Shield episode for the week and that my DVR would catch it.

I missed it because they never told me to make sure I set my dvr, like other shows do. It doesn't matter if you feel I'm at fault. My point is that they should have done a better job of making sure I didn't miss it. Do you disagree with that?
It wasn't an episode of Agents of Shield. You're DVR records Agents of Shield, which is why it wasn't recorded. Why is that so hard to understand?

It wasn't an episode of Agents of Shield. You're DVR records Agents of Shield, which is why it wasn't recorded. Why is that so hard to understand?
I understand it. If a company wants you to watch its show, and you don't even though you want to, it should do something about that, even if it's your own fault. Why is that so hard to understand?

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand it. If a company wants you to watch its show, and you don't even though you want to, it should do something about that, even if it's your own fault. Why is that so hard to understand?
What do you want them to do? Send a guy over to your house and program the DVR for you?

What do you want them to do? Send a guy over to your house and program the DVR for you?
I don't know, how about "make sure you set your DVR" like I've seen other shows do. But that would be the bare minimum.

I don't know, how about "make sure you set your DVR" like I've seen other shows do. But that would be the bare minimum.
Hint they did say the special next week is called XYZ.

Does your whole argument boil down to they should have named this special "Marvel: Agents of Shield"?

you can't be this stupid.

you can't be this stupid.
I am really trying hard to see his point, but I am struggling. Is this level of intelligence typical or atypical of this poster?

Look, IT guys. It's simple.

I'm clearly not the only one who missed this, right?

They have a show that they don't want me to miss.

THEY did something wrong. It doesn't matter if I could have or should have been smarter about it. They want more customers, not less. Right? lol at all the people saying I can't be this stupid. A BUNCH of their customers missed the product they were selling. Hell, if it weren't for this thread, I'd be going to the torrent to grab it or missing it entirely.

Look, IT guys. It's simple.

I'm clearly not the only one who missed this, right?

They have a show that they don't want me to miss.

THEY did something wrong. It doesn't matter if I could have or should have been smarter about it. They want more customers, not less. Right? lol at all the people saying I can't be this stupid. A BUNCH of their customers missed the product they were selling. Hell, if it weren't for this thread, I'd be going to the torrent to grab it or missing it entirely.
Dude. They advertised the show. It's up to you to take the necessary steps to watch it.

:goodposting:

ETA: I managed to get my DVR set and watch this. Mostly fluff/stuff I already knew but still enjoyed it.
Yeah it was a fluff piece but I really enjoyed it too.

Dud you notice Ed Norton completely edited out? :)
Yeah, not surprising. Even if he hand't left on bad terms they probably would have wanted to focus on Ruffalo anyway.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle other major characters when it comes time to recast. Avengers 3 will mark the 10 year point from from the first Iron Man, but they are going to be layering in new characters steadily during that time. Do they reboot, or let some of the bigger characters like Iron Man sit on the shelf for a bit and eventually recast them in the same continuity?

ETA: I managed to get my DVR set and watch this. Mostly fluff/stuff I already knew but still enjoyed it.

Yeah, not surprising. Even if he hand't left on bad terms they probably would have wanted to focus on Ruffalo anyway.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle other major characters when it comes time to recast. Avengers 3 will mark the 10 year point from from the first Iron Man, but they are going to be layering in new characters steadily during that time. Do they reboot, or let some of the bigger characters like Iron Man sit on the shelf for a bit and eventually recast them in the same continuity?
I agree.

For me, the fun will likely end with Avengers 3 unless new characters are brought in. I am going to love the whole build up to the Infinity Stones and have a 15ish movie run (IM, Hulk, IM2, Thor, Captain America, Avengers, IM3, Thor 2, Cap 2, GOG, Avengers2, Thor 3(?), Cap 3(?), GOG2(?) and Avengers 3 is a pretty great haul to enjoy with my grand kids some day :)

I don't really enjoy different actors in the same time frame as much. I can't see any one taking over for Downey for example as the same Tony Stark character.

As Marvel terms it, post Avengers 3 will be considered Phase 4. It will be interesting to see what direction they go in.

They are going to have a hard time recasting Stark if they try to do it too soon I think. Downey is the perfect Stark and it's because of who he is and his history. That comes with him. It's the same problem with recasting Batman. Say want you want about the voice or whatever but for a lot of people Bale is Batman. I think he is the best Batman. Now with that all said I also never thought Keaton could pull off Batman and I was wrong. He really did a good job with it given what it was. I was pleasantly surprised.

So you have to give people the chance to proves themselves, even Affleck, but it is hard to make the move really soon after someone has made a role iconic.

final trailer to spider-man 2 was out yesterday... it looks good from what they show and is definitely taking a lot of things from ultimate spider-man comics

Captain America 2 was simply awesome. Ranking the movies in their universe (not spidey, xmen, etc):

Avengers

IM

CA2

Thor 2

IM3

IM2

Hulk

Thor

CA

It speaks very well of Marvel that they've been able to draw me (and my kids) in with these heroes when my favorites as a kid were always Spider Man and X-men. I was never a comic nerd but did have a few subscriptions. I don't really know what to expect, but I am somewhat concerned about Guardians of the Galaxy. The trailers continue to look kind of sub-par. Marvel does a great job of balancing the silly/absurd with the comics taking themselves just seriously enough to contain a "nobler purpose" - I have yet to see GotG show anything of that focus on virtues which I really need to make it resonate with me. They definitely get the benefit of the doubt, but even my 15 y.o. daughter, who is a HUGE Captain America and Avengers (and Shield and everything else) fan, said she hopes Marvel isn't going to start putting out inferior movies and cutting corners because they're so popular.

It speaks very well of Marvel that they've been able to draw me (and my kids) in with these heroes when my favorites as a kid were always Spider Man and X-men. I was never a comic nerd but did have a few subscriptions. I don't really know what to expect, but I am somewhat concerned about Guardians of the Galaxy. The trailers continue to look kind of sub-par. Marvel does a great job of balancing the silly/absurd with the comics taking themselves just seriously enough to contain a "nobler purpose" - I have yet to see GotG show anything of that focus on virtues which I really need to make it resonate with me. They definitely get the benefit of the doubt, but even my 15 y.o. daughter, who is a HUGE Captain America and Avengers (and Shield and everything else) fan, said she hopes Marvel isn't going to start putting out inferior movies and cutting corners because they're so popular.
They are taking a chance with one of their lesser franchises.. for instance Daredevil and Punisher and Ghost Rider are some of their B-listers... Daredevil had a relatively unsuccessful movie.. the Punisher movies are awful.... Ghost Rider I've never seen.

I'm not into the Guardians of the Galaxy, but if this can be a hit on the heels of their momentum, then they have a true "space"/"cosmic" based movie to give them their "star wars".

I applaud them trying... there's only so much of the main core guys you can keep doing.

I wish someone would get off their butt and make a Deadpool movie - one of their best characters, could be a virtual comedy movie, and right now he's selling enough comic books that he has been elevated to every other week rather than monthly and has numerous side-quest books.

Looking forward to the Marvel Cinematic Universe's version of Dr, Strange (name-dropped as 'Stephen Strange' in CA2).
the animated movie they did with Strange is probably the best one they have done... most of their animated stuff is crap whereas DC does a good job with the animated films.

having said that, i think dr. strange works best as a supporting character, not a lead.

I wonder if they would ever be willing to try Moon Knight

Looking forward to the Marvel Cinematic Universe's version of Dr, Strange (name-dropped as 'Stephen Strange' in CA2).
the animated movie they did with Strange is probably the best one they have done... most of their animated stuff is crap whereas DC does a good job with the animated films.

having said that, i think dr. strange works best as a supporting character, not a lead.

Is that animated Dr. Strange available via streaming anywhere afayk?

One that had a great start but I don't know how long it ended up hanging on was Cloak and Dagger.

I never was into comics but these movies and lego marvel and having a 4 yr old son really got me into them so much I went out and purchased the marvel encyclopedia

Is that animated Dr. Strange available via streaming anywhere afayk?

One that had a great start but I don't know how long it ended up hanging on was Cloak and Dagger.
i know that if you know how to find things in the p2p markets that you should be able to find dr. strange

I'm not to big on cloak and dagger although i've been warming up to them in the ultimate universe

It speaks very well of Marvel that they've been able to draw me (and my kids) in with these heroes when my favorites as a kid were always Spider Man and X-men. I was never a comic nerd but did have a few subscriptions. I don't really know what to expect, but I am somewhat concerned about Guardians of the Galaxy. The trailers continue to look kind of sub-par.
My daughter and I both commented that the initial trailer for GOG was almost too comic based, like they took almost every humorous bit from movie and put it in the trailer.

It makes it appear to be almost a parody. I am guessing they will fix that tone with the next trailer (hopefully)

Do you guys think Whedon will kill off one of the core Avengers in Age of Ulton?
I would be shocked if they killed off any of the big characters. First that would be a real slap at canon. Second I think Disney would find it a little disconcerting for their money truck to lose an asset.
Agreed. I wouldn't put it past Whedon, but I don't think Disney would go for it... unless it was one of the minor members. No way they whack Iron Man, Cap, Thor or Hulk, but I could see them getting rid of Hawkeye or Black Widow. Though being the only woman, I'd say Black Widow is pretty safe.
Yeah I think they would let Whedon weed out some bit players but not the marquee folks. And yeah all the backlash against Marvel over the woman thing probably means BW and her tight leather outfits are safe.
If it wasn't for the female issue, BW would be an interesting choice. I feel like if anyone is going to get whacked it will be Hawkeye.
I thought I read he might get his own movie at one point. Rumor mill and all that. And of course there is the "no one really stays dead" in the comic universe unless the writers make them do so.
Considering what Evans has said recently about retiring from acting after his Marvel contract is up, as well as the history of Steve Rodgers dying in the comics, I could see a BIG! SURPRISE! ending of A2: Ultron being Cap sacrificing himself to stop Ultron. Then Bucky/Winter Soldier would become the new Cap for A3, just like he does in the comics. It helps that they've already developed the Bucky character and established the actor.

Granted, this is far fetched. Evans does play a great Cap. But if Whedon wanted to really slam home a dark & dire & anguished ending to A2 (following the Star Wars trilogy format), then that's your best bet. Second would be killing Stark and letting War Machine take his place in A3. But like many said, Downy is just too $$ to cut loose. He's the center of those movies.

ETA: plus if you read Downy's comments and especially his FB page, he LOVES being Tony Stark. He's always making Avenger's jokes, does charity work with kids as Stark/Iron Man, etc. It's really rare that an actor so thoroughly embraces a role.

moon knight would rule, if done correctly

not sure how audiences would respond to a character with multiple personalities... it admittedly can get confusing sometimes.

Some versions of Moon Knight I think have been great, others like the one Bendis wrote where the multiple personalities were Wolverine and Spider-man, were atrocious.

Do you guys think Whedon will kill off one of the core Avengers in Age of Ulton?
I would be shocked if they killed off any of the big characters. First that would be a real slap at canon. Second I think Disney would find it a little disconcerting for their money truck to lose an asset.
Agreed. I wouldn't put it past Whedon, but I don't think Disney would go for it... unless it was one of the minor members. No way they whack Iron Man, Cap, Thor or Hulk, but I could see them getting rid of Hawkeye or Black Widow. Though being the only woman, I'd say Black Widow is pretty safe.
Yeah I think they would let Whedon weed out some bit players but not the marquee folks. And yeah all the backlash against Marvel over the woman thing probably means BW and her tight leather outfits are safe.
If it wasn't for the female issue, BW would be an interesting choice. I feel like if anyone is going to get whacked it will be Hawkeye.
I thought I read he might get his own movie at one point. Rumor mill and all that. And of course there is the "no one really stays dead" in the comic universe unless the writers make them do so.
Considering what Evans has said recently about retiring from acting after his Marvel contract is up, as well as the history of Steve Rodgers dying in the comics, I could see a BIG! SURPRISE! ending of A2: Ultron being Cap sacrificing himself to stop Ultron. Then Bucky/Winter Soldier would become the new Cap for A3, just like he does in the comics. It helps that they've already developed the Bucky character and established the actor.
I recently read that the actor has a 9 movie deal with Marvel. I think you're right.

I recently read that the actor has a 9 movie deal with Marvel. I think you're right.
NINE? He's only been in two so far.

So, A2, Cap3, A3? That's still only 5 movies.

They are taking a chance with one of their lesser franchises.. for instance Daredevil and Punisher and Ghost Rider are some of their B-listers... Daredevil had a relatively unsuccessful movie.. the Punisher movies are awful.... Ghost Rider I've never seen.

I'm not into the Guardians of the Galaxy, but if this can be a hit on the heels of their momentum, then they have a true "space"/"cosmic" based movie to give them their "star wars".

I applaud them trying... there's only so much of the main core guys you can keep doing.

I wish someone would get off their butt and make a Deadpool movie - one of their best characters, could be a virtual comedy movie, and right now he's selling enough comic books that he has been elevated to every other week rather than monthly and has numerous side-quest books.
I don't think Marvel has his movie rights, I think they are with Fox along with the other Mutants. :kicksrock: I can't wait until Marvel has all of their rights back in house, they are doing such a fantastic job.

Done correctly, and I think that they can do it correctly, Strange would be a great lead. With the introduction of Wanda it's possible Strange is on the way to having his own movie.

And if you think Strange would be a tough movie to make, Moon Knight would be even worse (and I am/was a big fan). He's a poor man's Batman with the psychotic tenancies of Frank Castle.

+1 (loved the classic MK series back in the early 80s)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Moonknight the guy that traveled Black Widow in the Ultron comic series?

Not sure how accurate this is but here is a breakdown of which characters, for the purposes of film, are not owned by Marvel.

NOTE: Since the time of writing this, the rights to Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Punisher and Blade have all reverted back to Marvel Studios.

20TH CENTURY FOX
Fantastic Four: Doctor Doom/Victor von Doom, Human Torch/Johnny Storm, Invisible Woman/Susan Storm, Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Reed Richards, The Thing/Ben Grimm, Nova/Frankie Raye, Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin

X-Men Mutants: [Agent Zero/Maverick/David North], Angel/Warren Worthington III, Arclight/Phillippa Sontag, Beast/Dr. Henry Phillip “Hank” McCoy, [blob/Frederick J. Dukes], [bolt/Christopher Bradley], Callisto, Colossus/Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin, Cyclops/Scott Summers, [Deadpool/Wade Wilson], Emma (Grace) Frost, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Juggernaut/Cain Marko, Gambit/Remy LeBeau, Glob Herman/Herman Gardner, Iceman/Bobby Drake, Jubilee/Jubilation Lee, Katherine “Kitty” Anne Pryde, [Kestrel/John Wraith], Lady Deathstrike/Yuriko Oyama, Leech, Magneto/Erik Magnus Lehnsherr, Mastermind/Jason (Wyngarde), Multiple Man/James Arthur Madrox, Mystique/Raven Darkholme, Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner, Phat/William Robert “Billy-Bob” Reilly, Professor Charles Xavier, Psylocke/Elizabeth “Betsy” Braddock, Pyro/St. John Allerdyce, Quill/Max Jordan, Rogue/(Anna) Marie, Sabretooth/Victor Creed, Sebastian Hiram Shaw, [silver Fox], Siryn/Theresa Rourke Cassidy, (The) Spike, Storm/Ororo Munroe, Wolverine/Logan

X-Men Non-Mutants: Drake Family (Steven, Madeline, Ronny), Grey Family (Dr. John, Elaine), Henry Peter Gyrich, Robert Edward Kelly, Dr. Moira Kinross MacTaggert, Dr. Kavita Rao, William Stryker, Bolivar Trask, Warren Worthington II

SONY PICTURES
Spider-Man: Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Doctor Octopus/Otto Octavius, Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, (New) Green Goblin/Harry Osborn, [The Lizard]/Dr. Curt Connors, Sandman/Flint Marko, Venom/Eddie Brock Jr., Betty Brant, Dennis Carradine (Buglar), J. Jonah Jameson, Ben Parker, May Parker, John Jameson, Joseph “Robbie” Robertson, Gwen Stacy, Mendel Stromm, Flash Thompson

Chaka,

Do you understand how Quicksilver is being handled license wise? He is a character in the upcoming Xmen Days of Future Past and Avengers 2 (he was not named in the after scenes credits but it was obviously him).

Are they getting around this because in DFP he is a 70's era Quicksilver and in Avengers he will be present day?

Chaka,

Do you understand how Quicksilver is being handled license wise? He is a character in the upcoming Xmen Days of Future Past and Avengers 2 (he was not named in the after scenes credits but it was obviously him).

Are they getting around this because in DFP he is a 70's era Quicksilver and in Avengers he will be present day?
The agreement is that Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch can appear in the MCU films, but the films can't mention their connection to Magneto. My understanding is that its an agreement between Disney/Marvel and Fox (and may be a template for how other characters that don't have clearly defined franchises may be handled).

Users who are viewing this thread