What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (5 Viewers)

I went to see Spidey 2 tonight.

It was ok, nothing great, maybe a 6-6.5 range rating. Paul Giamatti was completely wasted.

The during credit scene was interesting in that it promoted a Fox movie, Days of Future Past. That was an arrangement between Fox and Sony which allowed Webb to direct Spidey 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
ASM 2 was not good. As noted above, don't wait for an end credit scene, it is just a commercial.
:kicksrock: We are taking our kids to see it on Sunday. Was hoping it was as good as the first one.
I'd give the first one a 7.5 to 8. This one is probably a 5.5 to 6. It tried to jam too much stuff in and it wasn't effective. The continuity that Marvel has achieved made this look worse.

:kicksrock: We are taking our kids to see it on Sunday. Was hoping it was as good as the first one.
I'd give the first one a 7.5 to 8. This one is probably a 5.5 to 6. It tried to jam too much stuff in and it wasn't effective. The continuity that Marvel has achieved made this look worse.
Was worried that they were trying to put too much into this will all the different villains again. How awesome would a Kraven Spidey movie be?

I haven't seen these two new Spidey reboots and won't. I can't get over how whenever I see the guy who plays Peter Parker I get this urge to punch him right in his smug whiny face. That might because I'm in love with Tobby McGuire. But still. Screw these reboots.

Was worried that they were trying to put too much into this will all the different villains again. How awesome would a Kraven Spidey movie be?
not sure Kraven as a villian would translate to the screen.

The preview of this new spiderman doesnt look good especially the mechanical Rhino thing.

not sure Kraven as a villian would translate to the screen.The preview of this new spiderman doesnt look good especially the mechanical Rhino thing.
i think rhino is barely in it

The common denominator with all the Marvel movies that have sucked (aside from just not being done by Marvel Studios) is Avi Arad. Thank god Marvel booted him from having any creative control on the MCU films.

not sure Kraven as a villian would translate to the screen.The preview of this new spiderman doesnt look good especially the mechanical Rhino thing.
i think rhino is barely in it
Rhino is in it for less than 3 minutes I think.

I haven't seen these two new Spidey reboots and won't. I can't get over how whenever I see the guy who plays Peter Parker I get this urge to punch him right in his smug whiny face. That might because I'm in love with Tobby McGuire. But still. Screw these reboots.
I thought the first one was a solid movie. The second one......not so much :(

*Wasting Giamatti's talents on a cartoon character

*Too long on origin stories of bad guys

*Actor who played Harry was completely unlikeable even when you were suppose to like him

not sure Kraven as a villian would translate to the screen.

The preview of this new spiderman doesnt look good especially the mechanical Rhino thing.
i also agree that the "GOOD" Kraven stories wouldn't translate to the big screen... they would do him in some overhyped campy way and it would be terrible.

Really as it pertains to spider-man, it's a shame they can't use the Kingpin... always a favorite. I would like to see them integrate the Black Cat, but I doubt it happens.

i also agree that the "GOOD" Kraven stories wouldn't translate to the big screen... they would do him in some overhyped campy way and it would be terrible.

Really as it pertains to spider-man, it's a shame they can't use the Kingpin... always a favorite. I would like to see them integrate the Black Cat, but I doubt it happens.
Felicia Hardy actually makes a brief appearance in TASM2 as Harry's assistant

Rumors are starting to swirl that Marvel is starting to focus on who will play Dr Strange. Benedict Cumberbatch has been one of the names bandied about.

He is such a phenomenal actor that he could do for Strange what Downey did for Stark.

Rumors are starting to swirl that Marvel is starting to focus on who will play Dr Strange. Benedict Cumberbatch has been one of the names bandied about.

He is such a phenomenal actor that he could do for Strange what Downey did for Stark.
Physically he is perfect for the role.

Would be a great pick, probably too good to be true.
I like that pick. And if they really want him they will back up the dump truck full of money just like they did to get Downey to stay on. Gets hard to say no when the money is so good. Plus there is the Abrams connection there as well.

I like that pick. And if they really want him they will back up the dump truck full of money just like they did to get Downey to stay on. Gets hard to say no when the money is so good. Plus there is the Abrams connection there as well.
Is Abrams involved with the MCU? All I see is the he did some uncredited work on the IM3 script.

I really doubt Cumberbatch plays Dr. Strange. He was worried that taking a role in Star Trek would damage his career because he doesn't want to become know as a sci-fi / comic book actor. He accepted the role of Smaug because its just his voice. His most recent projects are a historical war drama and an action crime drama.

Is Abrams involved with the MCU? All I see is the he did some uncredited work on the IM3 script.
Abrams is involved with Disney was what I meant.

Dr Strange is one of my favorite Marvel characters. I really hope they don't mess it up, but with their track record and with Cumberbatch attached I am in.

Dr Strange is one of my favorite Marvel characters. I really hope they don't mess it up, but with their track record and with Cumberbatch attached I am in.
Dr. Strange has always struck me as one of those characters that is great in a supporting role. I love it when they bring him into the comics for a quick fix or for a few issue episode arc.

I did enjoy the animated Dr. Strange movie that Marvel put out... it was probably their best one.

But just like with Guardians of the Galaxy, I feel like they are taking a fairly big risk with this particular product.

I'm not sure where Dr. Strange is on their "popularity scale"... probably actually above Guardians of the Galaxy.... but I'm fairly surprised he would get a movie instead of them going in the direction of "new avengers" or something along those lines.

Is Deadpool going to be the most popular Marvel entity not to get his own movie? Almost every other character with a comic book that comes out twice a month has a movie.

Dr. Strange has always struck me as one of those characters that is great in a supporting role. I love it when they bring him into the comics for a quick fix or for a few issue episode arc.

I did enjoy the animated Dr. Strange movie that Marvel put out... it was probably their best one.

But just like with Guardians of the Galaxy, I feel like they are taking a fairly big risk with this particular product.

I'm not sure where Dr. Strange is on their "popularity scale"... probably actually above Guardians of the Galaxy.... but I'm fairly surprised he would get a movie instead of them going in the direction of "new avengers" or something along those lines.

Is Deadpool going to be the most popular Marvel entity not to get his own movie? Almost every other character with a comic book that comes out twice a month has a movie.
At one point New Line Cinema held the rights to Deadpool. I don't know if that is still the case or not.

At one point New Line Cinema held the rights to Deadpool. I don't know if that is still the case or not.
I believe he's still tied up with the X-men.

That may be.

I have been unsure about the first teaser and first trailer for Gaurdians of the Galaxy.

They absolutely nailed this latest trailer.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9bz0QOOT9Hk
I would say this will lose money but that's betting on the intelligence of the American public...
It's pretty hard for major movies to actually lose money nowadays. It's not just ticket sales. They have money from promotional deals (i.e. Burger King commercial, characters appearing on Twinkie boxes) , Broadcast rights for PPV and the pay channels (HBO, Showtime) broadcast rights for basic cable (i.e. SciFi, FX) DVD sales, Merchandise sales, and so on.

Yep, once upon a time the idea was a string of "origins" movies with Deadpool being #2. When Wolverine Origins bombed that went out the door and they went the prequel route.

I have been unsure about the first teaser and first trailer for Gaurdians of the Galaxy.

I would say this will lose money but that's betting on the intelligence of the American public...
It's pretty hard for major movies to actually lose money nowadays. It's not just ticket sales. They have money from promotional deals (i.e. Burger King commercial, characters appearing on Twinkie boxes) , Broadcast rights for PPV and the pay channels (HBO, Showtime) broadcast rights for basic cable (i.e. SciFi, FX) DVD sales, Merchandise sales, and so on.
Not to mention an ever growing international market in general and Asia specifically.

I think it looks like a lot of fun. And if they handle it right it will do well. I am going to trust Marvel to get it right.
I think we all need to take a deep breath and realize that a lot of comic books, even well-beloved series, are actually total and utter nonsensical crap.

I think it looks like a lot of fun. And if they handle it right it will do well. I am going to trust Marvel to get it right.
I think we all need to take a deep breath and realize that a lot of comic books, even well-beloved series, are actually total and utter nonsensical crap.
There is a reason there is more than one title.

Socrates11 said:
Vincent D’Onofrio signed as Kingpin in the new Daredevil series. If you can't get King Kong Bundy, then it's not a bad choice.
I love his work. That is a great choice. The man can act.
Agreed. Curious though, fat-suit or cgi? A svelte Kingpin is no Kingpin.
I agree.. the kingpin has to be larger than life.

Although at his core, the Kingpin is more interesting when he is the mastermind and scheming and plotting than actually fighting

Users who are viewing this thread