What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (5 Viewers)

Clifford said:
I have been unsure about the first teaser and first trailer for Gaurdians of the Galaxy.

They absolutely nailed this latest trailer.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9bz0QOOT9Hk
I would say this will lose money but that's betting on the intelligence of the American public...
I think it looks like a lot of fun. And if they handle it right it will do well. I am going to trust Marvel to get it right.
I think we all need to take a deep breath and realize that a lot of comic books, even well-beloved series, are actually total and utter nonsensical crap.
You're just a ray of sunshine, aren't you?

Clifford said:
I have been unsure about the first teaser and first trailer for Gaurdians of the Galaxy.

They absolutely nailed this latest trailer.

Great post. I'm going to ask the mods for a hard delete on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to the premier show of Marvel Universe Live tonight. I'm a huge fan of the cinematic universe, but my knowledge of the comics isn't as strong. I know more than the average guy, but I don't keep up on it as much as some of you. I'll be taking my girlfriend who has NO knowledge outside the movies.

I paid a bunch of money for really good seats (I hope, I'm not sure what the stage is like, so I could be on the opposite end of all the action), so i'll report back tomorrow.

Vrana said:
Going to the premier show of Marvel Universe Live tonight. I'm a huge fan of the cinematic universe, but my knowledge of the comics isn't as strong. I know more than the average guy, but I don't keep up on it as much as some of you. I'll be taking my girlfriend who has NO knowledge outside the movies.

I paid a bunch of money for really good seats (I hope, I'm not sure what the stage is like, so I could be on the opposite end of all the action), so i'll report back tomorrow.
Let me know how it is (without spoiling anything). I have tickets for Aug 2 at the Izod Center. I cant wait!

Kevin Smith does a podcast called Fatman on Batman. The last episode had Neal Adams on it and it was fascinating to listen to him. Adams touched on the Marvel movies and got in depth on why Marvel doesn't own the movie rights to basically any of their major characters and why it would cost a mint to get them back. Stan Lee essentially made several bad deals (the worst one was for the F4 rights) and as long as the movies keep getting made, the movie studios keep the rights. That's why there are so many B (Dr Strange), C (Antman), and D (GotG) level characters getting movies under the Marvel Studios banner.

Kevin Smith does a podcast called Fatman on Batman. The last episode had Neal Adams on it and it was fascinating to listen to him. Adams touched on the Marvel movies and got in depth on why Marvel doesn't own the movie rights to basically any of their major characters and why it would cost a mint to get them back. Stan Lee essentially made several bad deals (the worst one was for the F4 rights) and as long as the movies keep getting made, the movie studios keep the rights. That's why there are so many B (Dr Strange), C (Antman), and D (GotG) level characters getting movies under the Marvel Studios banner.
Honestly, I think it was for the best. Marvel desperately needed money at the time, which is why they sold off the rights.

Who knows how it would have turned out if Marvel had all the rights still? If they were able to put out Spiderman, X-men, and F4 movies, we may not have gotten Iron Man or Thor. Cap it probably still a movie, but the rest of the Avengers? I don't know. I think it's very unlikely we get an Avengers movie that was as amazing as it was if Marvel has all of the rights. Iron Man is considered an A List superhero now, but that is only because the first movie was so incredible. I personally skipped the first Iron Man in theaters because I barely knew anything about him.

We definitely don't get Ant Man, Dr Strange, or Guardians. I'm really looking forward to these movies, so I think that would be a huge loss.

Now? I wish they could get the rights back (I care less about X-men because DOFP was awesome, and I'm interested to see if FOX can turn that franchise around), because I think they've found their groove and see the value in making movies about lesser known heroes. But I think the way the rights were handled led us to one of the best movie franchises of all time.

Honestly, I think it was for the best. Marvel desperately needed money at the time, which is why they sold off the rights.

Who knows how it would have turned out if Marvel had all the rights still? If they were able to put out Spiderman, X-men, and F4 movies, we may not have gotten Iron Man or Thor. Cap it probably still a movie, but the rest of the Avengers? I don't know. I think it's very unlikely we get an Avengers movie that was as amazing as it was if Marvel has all of the rights. Iron Man is considered an A List superhero now, but that is only because the first movie was so incredible. I personally skipped the first Iron Man in theaters because I barely knew anything about him.

We definitely don't get Ant Man, Dr Strange, or Guardians. I'm really looking forward to these movies, so I think that would be a huge loss.

Now? I wish they could get the rights back (I care less about X-men because DOFP was awesome, and I'm interested to see if FOX can turn that franchise around), because I think they've found their groove and see the value in making movies about lesser known heroes. But I think the way the rights were handled led us to one of the best movie franchises of all time.
Adams did touch on that as well. I think he was more lamenting the fact that we'll probably never see a 'crossover' movie in which we see X-men, Spidey and the Avengers together. Plus the fact that, monetarily, Marvel got peanuts for the rights. I think they only got a million bucks for the rights to the F4.

Adams did touch on that as well. I think he was more lamenting the fact that we'll probably never see a 'crossover' movie in which we see X-men, Spidey and the Avengers together. Plus the fact that, monetarily, Marvel got peanuts for the rights. I think they only got a million bucks for the rights to the F4.
Imagine as the Avengers are getting ready to fight the invasion of NY Spidey, the X-Men and F4 show up. Comic book nerd's wet dream.

An X-Men vs Avengers movie would be awesome.

Even better, back in the day there was a universe crossover - Teen Titans and the Uncanny X-Men or the Spidey vs Superman, Hulk vs Superman, Batman vs Hulk, or even better, Galactus vs Darkseid.

An X-Men vs Avengers movie would be awesome.

Even better, back in the day there was a universe crossover - Teen Titans and the Uncanny X-Men or the Spidey vs Superman, Hulk vs Superman, Batman vs Hulk, or even better, Galactus vs Darkseid.
Crossover could be cool but I bet the licensing would be a bear.

If they are going to do a big crossover movie, I would say do the original Secret Wars - PLEASE

Loved that story as a kid
That would be possible now. You got the Avengers plus all the secondary characters like a Iron Fist, Powerman, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, etc. The villians could be the Wrecking Crew, Loki, Kang. The big miss would be Doom though. You ain't getting him. Maybe sub in Red Skull?

If they are going to do a big crossover movie, I would say do the original Secret Wars - PLEASE

That would be possible now. You got the Avengers plus all the secondary characters like a Iron Fist, Powerman, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, etc. The villians could be the Wrecking Crew, Loki, Kang. The big miss would be Doom though. You ain't getting him. Maybe sub in Red Skull?
so Doom & FF are owned by a different movie studio than the avengers?

So galactus wouldnt be part of if either,

without spiderman & his villians in the mix it wouldnt be as cool either.

Yup, F4, Avengers, Spidey and X-men are all different. :(

They could probably get around Galactus somehow. There's a ton of cosmic level threats you could put in.

They could probably get around Galactus somehow. There's a ton of cosmic level threats you could put in.
There are deals in place that allow some shared villians to be used by both license holders.

well Marvel probably maximized their $$ by doing separate deals and they could curn out more movies.

Heck isnt the sony deal a spiderman movie every 3 years or they lose the rights?

There are deals in place that allow some shared villians to be used by both license holders.
A couple of heroes as well. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are members of both the X-Men and the Avengers. Quicksilver was in the last X-Men movie and Cap 2.

A couple of heroes as well. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are members of both the X-Men and the Avengers. Quicksilver was in the last X-Men movie and Cap 2.
True

But different versions. Quicksilver and Scarlet are the mutant offspring of Magneto in the Xmen universe. In the Avengers universe they are the result of tesseract experiments by Hydra.

But different versions. Quicksilver and Scarlet are the mutant offspring of Magneto in the Xmen universe. In the Avengers universe they are the result of tesseract experiments by Hydra.
Actually they are Magneto's offspring in both universes. I don't recall Hydra ever being involved. She was given magical powers to compliment her mutant abilities by an elder god who hoped to posses her when she reached maturity.

Actually they are Magneto's offspring in both universes. I don't recall Hydra ever being involved. She was given magical powers to compliment her mutant abilities by an elder god who hoped to posses her when she reached maturity.
The bit at the end of the Captain America showed them imprisoned in hydra research facility.

The bit at the end of the Captain America showed them imprisoned in hydra research facility.
Oh you are talking movies. Movies aren't canon. I can see them changing the origin for various licensing reasons within the structure of the movies though.

Marvel Universe Live breakdown:

It was ok. Not great, but I still mildly enjoyed it. I think it could have been a lot better.

This was the opening show, and you can tell that the actors were not quite prepared. They missed a lot of their marks and the sound did not always match up exactly with the action. Also, there were a few times when the actors were just standing in place for a few seconds and you could tell they were waiting for the next event to happen (whether that be a sound cue or the arrival of a new character).

All of the kids in the audience seemed to love it though. There were a few explosions and Thor says he's going to "Kick some Asgardian" at one point, but I think it's fine for school aged children. Some of the explosions were loud and shocking though, so be careful with kids who don't like that kind of thing.

If you haven't bought tickets, the stage is long. I was sitting directly behind where the goalie would be (it was at a hockey arena) and was looking straight on to the stage. I don't know if I would recommend that, but I'm not sure where else to go. The sets will sometimes block your view of the action no matter where you sit. I guess I would recommend to be in front of the stage, but not straight on. I was also in the 2nd row, and at times I wished I was higher up to allow myself a better view of the whole stage.

If anyone is not going to see it or is just curious about the plot or whatever, I'll put it in spoilers below.

Cast:

Heroes
Captain Marvel
Hawkeye
Iron Man
Spiderman
Thor
Black Widow
Captain America
Falcon
Hulk
Wolverine
Cyclops
Storm
Nick Fury
Maria Hill

Villians
Loki
Aldrich Killian
Green Goblin
Doctor Octopus
Rhino
Lizard
Electro
Black Cat
Red Skull
Madame Hydra
Chitauri
Extremis Soldiers
Hydra Soldiers
Entire Plot:

Thor breaks the Tesseract and sends the three pieces to different places around Earth.

Loki monologues about achieving ultimate power

Cut to Avengers Tower where Stark is complaining to Potts that since the Tesseract was broken crime is down and he has nothing to do. Parker shows up and gives him a device that helps charge his suit. While they are talking, Stark receives a call from Fury and Maria Hill about a weird signal they are receiving and ask Stark for back up. Chitauri attack and capture Fury and Hill.

Iron Man and Spiderman bust in to where Fury and Hill are being held. Loki is there and reveals that he is building his own "cosmic cube" and is using the power of mutants to do so. He reveals that he has Cyclops, Storm, and Wolverine trapped in a machine. Iron Man and Spiderman free Fury, Hill, and Wolverine. Loki escapes with Cyclops and Storm still held prisoner.

Back at Avengers Tower, all of the heroes assemble to discuss their next plan. Wolverine gets upset that they are not immediately leaving to save Storm and Cyclops and leaves to go rescue them himself. Banner follows.

The rest of the team decides that they need to put the Tesseract back together and splits into groups to go get the three parts, which have fallen into the hands of the villians.

Iron Man, Hawkeye, and Captain Marvel go to A.I.M. and defeat Killian to get the first piece.

Spiderman and Thor go to the Statue of Liberty where the Sinister Six (actually only 5 of them) hold the next piece. They defeat the Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Rhino, Lizard, and Electro and get the 2nd piece. Black Cat also makes an appearance to try to steal the fragment.

Cap, Falcon, and Widow go to a Hydra base where they fight Red Skull and Madame Hydra to get the last piece.

Meanwhile, Wolverine and Banner are climbing up a mountain to get to Loki's base. They arrive and are able to rescue Cyclops and Storm but are about to be defeated when the rest of the team arrives.

Big fight ensues and the team tries to put the pieces of the Tesseract together, but Loki gets the fragments and says that it was his plan all along to get the heroes to bring him the Tesseract.

More fighting. Hulk is unleashed but gets brain washed by Loki and starts fighting the good guys. Iron Man uses that Spiderman gave him in their introduction to charge his suit and breaks the spell on Hulk. Hulk beats up Loki. Thor sends Loki back to Asgard to pay for his crimes.
Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I'll do my best to answer.

No Venom? damn
Thanks for the review. Not as excited as I was but still excited lol. Hopefully they shore things up

Oh you are talking movies. Movies aren't canon. I can see them changing the origin for various licensing reasons within the structure of the movies though.
Marvel isn't afraid to mess with canon in any format. They're currently doing it with Stark in the comics.

:confused: What part of this chain has been about canon? Whole discussion has been about movies and rights.

Did the gal they cast as "black cat" have "the goods" and by "the goods" i mean ridiculously large breasts and a top spilling them out?

Dentist said:
Did the gal they cast as "black cat" have "the goods" and by "the goods" i mean ridiculously large breasts and a top spilling them out?
Unfortunately not. The costumes were very conservative.

I laughed a few times at Wolverine and Banner wearing helmets while on motorcycles. I think those two can probably get away without them.

Rayderr said:
NCCommish said:
Rayderr said:

so Doom & FF are owned by a different movie studio than the avengers?So galactus wouldnt be part of if either,

Yup, F4, Avengers, Spidey and X-men are all different. :( They could probably get around Galactus somehow. There's a ton of cosmic level threats you could put in.
That doesn't exclude them from being Magneto's kids.

Rayderr said:
NCCommish said:
Rayderr said:

so Doom & FF are owned by a different movie studio than the avengers?So galactus wouldnt be part of if either,

Yup, F4, Avengers, Spidey and X-men are all different. :( They could probably get around Galactus somehow. There's a ton of cosmic level threats you could put in.
For the movies I believe it does. IIRC Marvel productions (Avengers, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk etc) are not allowed to say that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are the children of Magneto. In fact I don't think they are allowed to refer to mutants at all.

Chaka said:
For the movies I believe it does. IIRC Marvel productions (Avengers, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk etc) are not allowed to say that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are the children of Magneto. In fact I don't think they are allowed to refer to mutants at all.
This is correct. They(Disney/Marvel) can use the names/powers of the twins but any reference to mutants in any way is not allowed according to the agreement with Fox

Chaka said:
This is correct. They(Disney/Marvel) can use the names/powers of the twins but any reference to mutants in any way is not allowed according to the agreement with Fox
I'm conflicted by all of that. On the one hand, it would be cool to see an X-Men / Avengers / Spiderman crossover. On the other hand I think it would quickly get way too convoluted and the stories would be too filled with plot holes (Why not just have Charles Xavier mind control Loki in the Avengers?) and its better for them to all have their separate things.

Chaka said:

They don't need to say anything. They can still be inferred as Magneto's kids. Even if Hydra has them "now".

I laughed a few times at Wolverine and Banner wearing helmets while on motorcycles. I think those two can probably get away without them.
did you get your kid the bracelet. I just got tickets for the izod center/meadowlands and turned down the option to buy it early. No problems buying it for him, was just curious.

did you get your kid the bracelet. I just got tickets for the izod center/meadowlands and turned down the option to buy it early. No problems buying it for him, was just curious.
when you going? We got aug 2 tix

when you going? We got aug 2 tix
aug 8

They don't need to say anything. They can still be inferred as Magneto's kids. Even if Hydra has them "now".
Back when Joss Whedon announced that QS and SW were going to be in the film, he said they can not be referred to as Magneto's children in any way what so ever.

Back when Joss Whedon announced that QS and SW were going to be in the film, he said they can not be referred to as Magneto's children in any way what so ever.
I stand by my point. They have no reason to mention the parents of any characters. It doesn't mean people who known better need tp pretend. Do they ever talk about Cyclops' Grand Pappy? Hulk's Nana?

Although the titles of the films remain a mystery for now, here's when the upcoming Marvel films will hit theaters:

July 28, 2017;

Nov. 3, 2017;

July 6, 2018;

Nov. 2, 2018 and

May 3, 2019

Could one of those be the rumored Hulk and Guardians of the Galaxycrossover? Or a potential Doctor Strange or Black Panther film? Or maybe that inevitable Iron Man 4?

While we speculate about what each of those films might be, let's not forget there are already four Marvel films to look forward to in the interim:

Guardians of the Galaxy (Aug. 1),

Avengers: Age Of Ultron (May 1, 2015),

Ant-Man (July 17, 2015) and

Captain America 3 (May 6, 2016).

Of the ones we know about I am least intrigued by Ant-Man. Looking forward to the others. I just have a bad feeling it will end up being Daredevilish.

Although the titles of the films remain a mystery for now, here's when the upcoming Marvel films will hit theaters:

July 28, 2017;

Nov. 3, 2017;

July 6, 2018;

Nov. 2, 2018 and

May 3, 2019
Marvel has announced it will release another untitled movie on May 4, 2018.

Users who are viewing this thread