What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (14 Viewers)

I know they are appealing to the fanatics - but the new footage was not included in the original cut for a reason.
Yeah the fact that it was a 3 hour movie came into many decisions I would bet. 

A lot of fans are willing to see a 4 hour director's cut too, I wager.

So Zoe Saldana is in the top 2 highest grossing movies of all time.  And 3 of the top 5.
I made the argument recently that she might wind up being the actor/actress that grosses more in his/her movies than anyone else. That was obviously before what happened in Infinity War (I don't want to say for the none of us who haven't seen it yet). But I don't think the Star Trek franchise is done and she's got like 4 more Avatar movies to do which no matter what will do a Bill in China each. And what if they do any Pirates of the Caribbean spin offs? Look at that resume:

Pirates

Guardians of the Galaxy/Avengers

Star Trek

Those are some extremely impressive franchises, and one of those, so far, is a franchise of one but will eventually be a franchise of 5. 

I made the argument recently that [Zoe Saldana] might wind up being the actor/actress that grosses more in his/her movies than anyone else ...

Those are some extremely impressive franchises, and one of those, so far, is a franchise of one but will eventually be a franchise of 5. 
If voice work counts, she's been getting a healthy amount of it (Book of Life, My Little Pony, Missing Link) so far. No animated hits yet for Saldana, but if she keeps getting calls for voice work and eventually hits on the next Ice Age or Shrek or something ... that would boost her numbers a lot.

If voice work counts, she's been getting a healthy amount of it (Book of Life, My Little Pony, Missing Link) so far. No animated hits yet for Saldana, but if she keeps getting calls for voice work and eventually hits on the next Ice Age or Shrek or something ... that would boost her numbers a lot.
And it seems like she takes on lots of small stuff she doesn't need to take on, like the voice work and music video stuff. Like she's a workaholic. That bodes well also. 

I made the argument recently that she might wind up being the actor/actress that grosses more in his/her movies than anyone else. That was obviously before what happened in Infinity War (I don't want to say for the none of us who haven't seen it yet). But I don't think the Star Trek franchise is done and she's got like 4 more Avatar movies to do which no matter what will do a Bill in China each. And what if they do any Pirates of the Caribbean spin offs? Look at that resume:

Pirates

Guardians of the Galaxy/Avengers

Star Trek

She had a small part in the original Pirates movie and wasn't seen again in the other 5. Or am I missing something?

The rest I completely agree.

She had a small part in the original Pirates movie and wasn't seen again in the other 5. Or am I missing something?

The rest I completely agree.
I thought she had a role in the rest of them, but I've only seen the second one and part of 3. Looking at IMDB, I'm thinking you are correct.

Still, Avatar, as meh as it was received in the States, it crushed in China. She is going to add probably 3 billion in China along for the next 4 Avatar movies. 

TheFanatic said:
I thought she had a role in the rest of them, but I've only seen the second one and part of 3. Looking at IMDB, I'm thinking you are correct.

Still, Avatar, as meh as it was received in the States, it crushed in China. She is going to add probably 3 billion in China along for the next 4 Avatar movies. 
I mean Avatar was huge here as well, it's the way it's aged in pop culture judgement 10 years later that makes it seem like it was not that big a deal

I mean Avatar was huge here as well, it's the way it's aged in pop culture judgement 10 years later that makes it seem like it was not that big a deal
It was big here, but didn't it only do like 700 million and the rest was mainly China. So almost 2 thirds? 

Also, I know it hasn't aged well in terms of pop culture judgement, but I watched it with my kids a couple years ago and they LOVED it. They have no recollection of it when it came out as my oldest is only 11, but they thought it was fantastic. I think that bodes well for the sequels. 

Too many of these threads, not sure where to put stuff.   Just got back from Spiderman and thought it was average, which is disappointing since Homecoming was one of my favorite Marvel movies.  A bit of the humor is intact, but the things I loved about Homecoming went away as of course since it's Marvel and a sequel, we had to go bigger.  Homecoming was great because of the smaller scale and story and great performance by Keaton.  

Too many of these threads, not sure where to put stuff.   Just got back from Spiderman and thought it was average, which is disappointing since Homecoming was one of my favorite Marvel movies.  A bit of the humor is intact, but the things I loved about Homecoming went away as of course since it's Marvel and a sequel, we had to go bigger.  Homecoming was great because of the smaller scale and story and great performance by Keaton.  
I didn't even know this was out yet. 

I have tickets for Friday night.  Was actually surprised to find many seats still available at my local theater.  Usually they fill up quickly.

I thought it was pretty good. The concept of the movie with the tech was great and the implications of said tech could span more than this movie. The nice tie-ins with other Marvel characters was pretty good too. Initial response is that it is a nice start to the next wave of Marvel. The ending is messing with my brain a bit though. I have the same reaction as Spiderman... WTF!

I won't put this in spoilers but the "code" that was given to Fury might be an indication as to who some of the unnamed movies might include.

Also, Zendaya, if they use her like the next Pepper, that would be a welcome. She is pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from seeing it.  Lots of fun and stands up to the middle tier of the MCU quality wise.  Solid effort all around

Even Dead I The Hero  :heart:

Loved loved loved the JK Simmons cameo.  What a wonderful call back to the days before the MCU

Just have to ask... but if you haven't seen the movie, don't open:

What do you make of the ending and how Mysterio screws over Spiderman? People are now going to be against him and Stark technology, in theory. Where does his character and MJ go from here? This has me bummed out.

I have tickets for Wednesday. I’m pretty apprehensive about this. Bringing back billions of people would throw the world into chaos never seen. Taking a school trip after a few months back seems like they are taking the approach of “well that’s over let’s move on”. Still hopeful. 

Just have to ask... but if you haven't seen the movie, don't open:

What do you make of the ending and how Mysterio screws over Spiderman? People are now going to be against him and Stark technology, in theory. Where does his character and MJ go from here? This has me bummed out.

after all these years, I was left shaking my head when people left the theaters today after the movie ended.  They missed arguably one of the best credits scenes ever. 

I don't know where they are going with this but they may be setting up a full movie where Spiderman is considered a villain and he has to clear his name

after all these years, I was left shaking my head when people left the theaters today after the movie ended.  They missed arguably one of the best credits scenes ever. 

I don't know where they are going with this but they may be setting up a full movie where Spiderman is considered a villain and he has to clear his name

Jameson always hated Spidey and painted him as a vigilante at best and a villain at worst.   This lets the story go to his darker character rather than a straight-out hero.   Spidey always struggled with this tension.

The mysterio story was a good adaption of the comics and wrapped up the avengers arc pretty well.  

Saw it last night with my daughter. Thought it was ok to good. Jake Gyllenhall just bothers me overall, so that lessened my enjoyment some.

Can someone explain the second end credit scene? I get that it was a Captain Marvel tie-in, but what was the relevance of Fury in Space?

Tecumseh said:
Saw it last night with my daughter. Thought it was ok to good. Jake Gyllenhall just bothers me overall, so that lessened my enjoyment some.

Can someone explain the second end credit scene? I get that it was a Captain Marvel tie-in, but what was the relevance of Fury in Space?
This is a good assessment.  I thought it was pretty good.  It will be in the lower middle tier of marvel movies.  I really like Tom Holland as SpiderMan.  Didn't care for the Mysterio character.  The first end credit scene may have been the highlight of the movie.

Homecoming was okay at best. Dragged. Will sit at the very bottom of all the Kevin Feige led Marvel movies for me. Dont get me wrong, it had some solid moments. Tom Holland is damn good and the best part. But still the least of all the offering since Iron Man hit the screens. 

Went to see the latest Spiderman yesterday with my son. I haven't seen a lot of the comic book movies but my son has so he brought me up on the whole Avengers, blip thing...

With that context, I really enjoyed the movie. Thought the writing was entertaining and similar to other comic book adaptations I have seen, there wasn't quite as much cheesiness as I remember from the others. Granted, you are suspending reality for pretty much the entire movie but it just seems that other comic movies I have seen were a bit more cringy with the writing. 

I know I'm casting a wide net there but overall, I enjoyed it and it has got me interested in seeing the Avengers movie that led up to this one.

Took the kids on Wed. We all loved it. The scene where we really see what the tech can do to someone was a bit long and over the top, but that's my only complaint. I thought it was outstanding. The end credit scenes were maybe the two best ever (one mid credits, one at the very end for those who haven't gone yet). 

I thought they did a bunch of cameos with Stan Lee that were supposed to go beyond End Game. I don't remember seeing him in this one. 

I thought they did a bunch of cameos with Stan Lee that were supposed to go beyond End Game. I don't remember seeing him in this one. 
In an interview with CinemaBlend, director Jon Watts said “It felt right” for Endgame to be his last cameo and that they didn’t shoot an appearance for him because of his declining health.

Stan Lee also did not appear in the most recent x-men movie.

I was wondering how they were going to bring things back down to earth, so to speak. Spider-Man can't be saving the world or even the whole city every time out. I loved Far from Home. It hit all the right notes for me as a die-hard Spidey fan.

Also did anyone else notice the chromatic scale when he took a fall in one scene? Great call back to the old animated cartoon.

Of course I knew that Mysterio would end up being, well, Mysterio, but I was impressed that they at least tried to use the multiverse explanation as a red herring.

I can't overstate how impressed I was with the illusion scenes. I remember as a kid watching the cartoon thinking that the idea of Mysterio is cool but illusions couldn't possibly be effective against a super hero like Spider-Man.  They pulled that off better than I could have ever imagined.

I was wondering how they were going to bring things back down to earth, so to speak. Spider-Man can't be saving the world or even the whole city every time out. I loved Far from Home. It got all the right notes for me as a die-hard Spidey fan.

Also did anyone else notice the chromatic scale when he took a fall in one scene? Great call back to the old animated cartoon.

Of course I knew that Mysterio would end up being, well, Mysterio, but u was impressed that they at least tried to use the multiverse explanation as a red herring.

I can't overstate how impressed I was with the illusion scenes. They pulled that off better than I could have ever imagined.
Agreed. Though my 8 yo son was a bit lost. He told me afterwards he wasn't sure what happened at the end 

Meh.  At best a 6 on a 10 scale.  Multiple attempts at comedy that failed almost across the board.  The Spider-man story is so rich compared to Iron Man.  They need to get him out of Iron Man's shadow.

Really enjoyed Spider-Man.  Awesome movie.  Disliked and loved the credits scenes
And they threw in a random hint to the future movie concepts in the middle too, which I now look for since they easter egged the last batch of films like that.

I know it's a common plot device in super hero comics, but I have a hard time believing that most of the world will turn on Spiderman because of a random hit piece from a Johnny come lately "hero" claiming Spiderman did some weird drone strike when it was supposed to be elemental attacks. Plus the video you don't even see Spiderman's face giving the orders in the video. 

The framed good guy storyline is boring to me anyway. Hopefully they make it interesting for next movie.

So I guess they reached an agreement with Sony for a bunch more Spidey movies? You’d think that would be given a lot of publicity. 

I know am a harsher critic of the superhero movies than most - but here are some thoughts:

For the first half of the movie Spider-man was downgraded to Mysterio's sidekick

Loved the out of costume stuff - but it took way too long to see him in costume

The attempts at jokes were 95% failures - Peter tingle - ugh - and they went for it twice

Loved the take on Mysterio

Loved the mid credit cliff hanger - but not sure it worked.  Mysterio was unconscious when Spider-Man said "execute all" or whatever it was.  Plus SHIELD can easily clear him of the crimes.  But the secret identity stuff pushed to a new level

He spends too much time in Iron Man's shadow

The end credit scene sucked and seemed to only give cover to Fury not acting like Fury

Took the kid last week and loved it.  Thought it had great call backs to earlier movies, dealt well with the aftermath of IW and Endgame and set up the next movie and possible overriding threats for the MCU well.  Very curious to see where they go from here.

On another note, all the early movies have been on tv lately.  Its amazing how Marvel has done the universe and tied it together for so long that you go back and hear seemingly throw away lines and realize how far out they thought this.  I mean its hard to imagine this was a happy coincidence all they way back in the first movie.

Watched Iron Man again and caught this between Jarvis and Tony:
Tony Stark: Attitude control is a little sluggish above 15,000 meters, I'm guessing icing is the probable cause.
Jarvis: A very astute observation, sir. Perhaps, if you intend to visit other planets, we should improve the exosystems.
Tony Stark: Connect to the sys. co. Have it reconfigure the shell metals. Use the gold titanium alloy from the seraphim tactical satellite. That should ensure a fuselage integrity while while maintaining power-to-weight ratio. Got it?

Users who are viewing this thread