What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (5 Viewers)

Slightly off topic but DC and Warner Bros (5 years to late imo) have finally decided to link their movies together like Marvel did and have announced a massive 9 film project that breaks out as such

Aug. 5, 2016: Suicide Squad

June 23, 2017: Wonder Woman

Nov. 17, 2017: Justice League

March 23, 2018: The Flash

July 27, 2018: Aquaman

April 5, 2019: Shazam

June 14, 2019: Justice League 2

April 3, 2020: Cyborg

June 19, 2020: Green Lantern

Lots more info here http://www.blastr.com/2014-10-15/dc-announces-massive-film-slate-flash-aquaman-wonder-woman-green-lantern
I wonder is this is officially a death sentence for the CW Flash show. I can't imagine DC wanting both going on at the same time. I've really liked that show so far, so that is too bad.

Also, with the Justice League coming before so many stand alines, I guess they are scrapping all those origin stories. Which is fine by me.
Should have no impact on the show, they've planned this. Show is doing well with audiences and critics.
You really think the show can live through the premier of the movie? Or do you mean the plan was for the show to never live past 4 seasons (season 5 would start 6 months after the movie)?
For better or worse, DC is pretty comfortable saying that the DC television universe is different than the DC film universe. Superman Returns was made while Smallville was still running, for instance.

I'm not even sure there will be a single DC television universe. Gotham seems to exist in a separate time and place from the Arrow/Flash universe. Berlanti, the producer of Arrow and Flash has a Supergirl pilot going for CBS, and I assume that might share the universe, but there's a Titans pilot going for TNT from Akiva Goldsman that probably won't. If DC wants, they can do what they did with their animated universe reboots and claim that the shows are set in different universes by relying on the "Infinite Earths" nonsense.
And with the rumor that the New 52 is going to essentially be retconned might mesh perfectly since it seems the multi-verse is on it's way back. Again.

Why is there a discussion of the DC universe ongoing in here? Isn't that like having a PC discussion in the Mac thread? An Elvis dicsussion in the Beatles thread? A smooth peanut butter discussion in the chunky peanut butter thread?

I'm so conflicted!

Why is there a discussion of the DC universe ongoing in here? Isn't that like having a PC discussion in the Mac thread? An Elvis dicsussion in the Beatles thread? A smooth peanut butter discussion in the chunky peanut butter thread?

I'm so conflicted!
Because DC isn't good enough for it's own thread? :shrug:

Phase 3 has been officially announced!

Captain America 3: Civil War on May 6th, 2016

Doctor Strange on November 4th, 2016

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on May 5th, 2017

Thor 3: Ragnarok on July 28th, 2017

Black Panther on November 3rd, 2017

Avengers: Infinity War Part One in May 2018

Captain Marvel on July 6th, 2018

Inhumans on November 2nd, 2018

Avengers: Infinity War Part Two in May 2019

Black Panther has been cast: Chadwick Boseman (Jackie Robinson in 42).

Captain Marvel will definitely be Carol Danvers and not Mar-Vell.

Wow

:excited: :thumbup: :clap:

Should be really interesting to see how they mesh Civil Way and Infinity War....two HUGE crossovers. So excited to see how they handle Dr Strange, Panther, and the Inhumans!!! Wow.

Should be really interesting to see how they mesh Civil Way and Infinity War....two HUGE crossovers. So excited to see how they handle Dr Strange, Panther, and the Inhumans!!! Wow.
dr. strange, black panther, ms. marvel and the inumans?

wow... i guess if Guardians can work maybe anything can work... but at some point they are going to push things too far.

At what point does America get comic book movie and TV'd out?

I love comic book crap... i still read all the spider-man stuff, daredevil, deadpool, and moon knight... and Guardians was a pretty decent movie despite the fact that I think their book is mediocre.

But there's already nearly too much... I'm not going to do Arrow, Flash, Gotham, Agents of Shield, Ms Marvel, etc.

It's like their the NFL and everything was cool with us until they started Thursday night football and London games and then I got hacked.

Slightly off topic but DC and Warner Bros (5 years to late imo) have finally decided to link their movies together like Marvel did and have announced a massive 9 film project that breaks out as such

Aug. 5, 2016: Suicide Squad

June 23, 2017: Wonder Woman

Nov. 17, 2017: Justice League

March 23, 2018: The Flash

July 27, 2018: Aquaman

April 5, 2019: Shazam

June 14, 2019: Justice League 2

April 3, 2020: Cyborg

June 19, 2020: Green Lantern

Lots more info here http://www.blastr.com/2014-10-15/dc-announces-massive-film-slate-flash-aquaman-wonder-woman-green-lantern
Over/Under on how many of these actually get made? Oversaturation, IMO.

dr. strange, black panther, ms. marvel and the inumans?

wow... i guess if Guardians can work maybe anything can work... but at some point they are going to push things too far.

At what point does America get comic book movie and TV'd out?

I love comic book crap... i still read all the spider-man stuff, daredevil, deadpool, and moon knight... and Guardians was a pretty decent movie despite the fact that I think their book is mediocre.

But there's already nearly too much... I'm not going to do Arrow, Flash, Gotham, Agents of Shield, Ms Marvel, etc.

It's like their the NFL and everything was cool with us until they started Thursday night football and London games and then I got hacked.
Arrow and Gotham are pretty good shows. Personally I think if they keep up the quality they can continue to make these movies for a long time. People are invested in these characters and so far Marvel has been respectful of that. I can't wait to see what they do with these secondary characters and I also want a Vision stand alone that's how all in I am.

Wow...this looks pretty sweet. I am really digging what they have going so far. Winter Soldier and GotG were both pretty much home runs. Age of Ultron looks pretty amazing.....

If they keep making really good movies - and all of them have been - then I don't see an end in sight in terms of want from the audience. Superheroes stand the test of time because they are escapism. We all wanted super power when we were kids - some still do. The special effects are simply getting better and better and they have done a great job making you care about these characters.

Whoever cast RDJ as Tony Stark should get a lifetime award or something or just have the studios pay him or her a few million a month as a thank you. That one piece of brilliance set this off because he is Tony Stark. The fact that they have pretty much nailed all the other casting choices as well just adds to the entirty of the universe.

If they keep making really good movies - and all of them have been - then I don't see an end in sight in terms of want from the audience. Superheroes stand the test of time because they are escapism. We all wanted super power when we were kids - some still do. The special effects are simply getting better and better and they have done a great job making you care about these characters.

Whoever cast RDJ as Tony Stark should get a lifetime award or something or just have the studios pay him or her a few million a month as a thank you. That one piece of brilliance set this off because he is Tony Stark. The fact that they have pretty much nailed all the other casting choices as well just adds to the entirty of the universe.
Yep. All of this.

Does Ultron's inflection remind anyone of whatsisname who played teh Joker in Batman? Heath Ledger?

Arsenal of Doom said:

Yep. All of this.
Marvel can do no wrong currently IMO. But that DC movie list doesnt look promising with the characters chosen and their track record. Then you have the one offs not controlled by Marvel like Spidermans, F4 or X-Men. Personally I thought the Superman reboot was very poor even if it did make a lot money. Whole lot of cgi, not a lot of anything else worthwhile. Who knows if Batman vs Supes will be any good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where DC is dropping the ball, IMO is in their handling of The Teen Titans. They've been one of the more reliable franchises for children in the past decade.

So is MARVEL killing Wolverine off in the comic books in an attempt to "stagnate" the X-Men/Wolverine film franchise owned by 20th Century? I have to imagine that MARVEL would want all of its characters under one banner.

Also, how dumb is SONY that they're not doing with Spiderman and the Fantastic Four the same thing Disney did with The Avengers?

So is MARVEL killing Wolverine off in the comic books in an attempt to "stagnate" the X-Men/Wolverine film franchise owned by 20th Century? I have to imagine that MARVEL would want all of its characters under one banner.

Also, how dumb is SONY that they're not doing with Spiderman and the Fantastic Four the same thing Disney did with The Avengers?
Wolverine will be "dead" for all of about 2 minutes. A character as popular as he is doesn't say gone for long.

Do you really think movie goers will care if the comic version of Wolverine is dead? As if that will stop them from enjoying Wolverine in the movies?

SkyRattlers said:
Thunderlips said:

Do you really think movie goers will care if the comic version of Wolverine is dead? As if that will stop them from enjoying Wolverine in the movies?
Hawks64 said:
Thunderlips said:

Wolverine will be "dead" for all of about 2 minutes. A character as popular as he is doesn't say gone for long.
They why kill him in this day and age? Are people really falling for the "he's dead...better pick up this issue" tactic?

SkyRattlers said:
Thunderlips said:

I think they'd care more if the source material weren't around anymore to fuel the movie(s).

They better not start making important #### that goes does in the movies start on that show. That show absolutely blows.

SkyRattlers said:
Thunderlips said:

I think they'd care more if the source material weren't around anymore to fuel the movie(s).
Yeah cause decades of source material from the comics are running out....what will they ever do without new stuff.

They better not start making important #### that goes does in the movies start on that show. That show absolutely blows.
Wrong, the show has been very good since they picked up after Cap 2
I refuse to believe a show with those actors can get good. It's beyond corny, and I LOVE Arrow and The Flash on the CW. So that's saying something.
Well if you wrote it off after the first half season, you may want to at least try it. Definite uptick in quality. I also love Arrow (and the Flash is OK), Arrow followed a similar arc where it found its footing and improved over the start.

I refuse to believe a show with those actors can get good. It's beyond corny, and I LOVE Arrow and The Flash on the CW. So that's saying something.
Well if you wrote it off after the first half season, you may want to at least try it. Definite uptick in quality. I also love Arrow (and the Flash is OK), Arrow followed a similar arc where it found its footing and improved over the start.
Alright, I'll take your word for it and check it out, if the difference is that noticeable. I understand what you're saying with Arrow, the pilot and first half dozen episodes were pretty rough until they found their footing and the proper "tone" for the show. But even within the first half hour of the pilot I knew I'd stick with it to see if it caught on because there were tons of redeeming qualities. I didn't feel that way after four episodes of S.H.I.E.L.D., honestly. Just seemed like cookie-cutter drivel with a seriously Disney tone to it that the movies manage to avoid.

Whoever cast RDJ as Tony Stark should get a lifetime award or something or just have the studios pay him or her a few million a month as a thank you. That one piece of brilliance set this off because he is Tony Stark.
Absolutely. Pure brilliant casting.

Big question then will be how good will the future Avengers films be if Downey isn't in them?

Alright, I'll take your word for it and check it out, if the difference is that noticeable. I understand what you're saying with Arrow, the pilot and first half dozen episodes were pretty rough until they found their footing and the proper "tone" for the show. But even within the first half hour of the pilot I knew I'd stick with it to see if it caught on because there were tons of redeeming qualities. I didn't feel that way after four episodes of S.H.I.E.L.D., honestly. Just seemed like cookie-cutter drivel with a seriously Disney tone to it that the movies manage to avoid.
It was really bad to start off. The only reason I kept watching is my wife wanted to have something we would watch together. Although it still hasn't reached the level of 'must see TV', the difference in quality between then and now is startling. If you like Marvel, it pays off to stick with it.

packersfan said:
Whoever cast RDJ as Tony Stark should get a lifetime award or something or just have the studios pay him or her a few million a month as a thank you. That one piece of brilliance set this off because he is Tony Stark.
Absolutely. Pure brilliant casting.

Big question then will be how good will the future Avengers films be if Downey isn't in them?
It was brilliant casting. And that's a question they don't want to answer. That is why they backed up the money truck to keep him in it this far.

Users who are viewing this thread