What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (4 Viewers)

Binged Wandavision over the weekend while I wasn't watching hoops.

Overall, really liked it. Based on the previews, I knew I'd probably dislike the first couple of episodes (the whole 50's/60's era was just super cheesey) but told myself to stick with it. Glad I did. Great casting (Hahn is always great) and the story was interesting. Olsen was good (the first time she came out of Westview and turned all the guns on the director was awesome)  and I've always liked Bettany. Will be cool to see what happens with White Vision in the future. (Really wish they had done something to get him a cameo in End Game so that he could have gotten his due in the closing credits)

Certainly been looking forward to Falcon and Winter Soldier (Loki as well) and I wasn't disappointed.  The first fight was great (awesome that they brought GSP back) and great production values all the way through. Very interested to see where it goes. Barnes is one of my favorite characters in the MCU.  Obviously they needed to do some backstory on what both guys have been doing, but the stuff with Falcon's family doesn't really do it for me. So hopefully its not a major focus.
Frankly I'm just in it to see if they save the fishing business.  

So here is a website that has both philosophies (watching it in release order or chronological order).  My strong preference is watching it in release order, so you'll have an experience that is closer to the one that we did as we watched it live. Of course you can't replicate it completely because so much of what was unknown to us at the time is now in the mainstream.  Also, for movies like Captain Marvel (which is one of the more recent movies but is second chronologically) they make some references to other films as an attempt to "foreshadow", but the foreshadows are so subtle I'm not sure that it is as easy to pick up on in the later films (whereas when we watched it, we knew the big thing that happened then noticed a nice easter egg).  Actually as I type it out I suppose it does work both ways, I just strongly prefer release order :)

I can't imagine watching Star Wars in chrono order, but if you can then perhaps that is a good way for you to view it.

For the shows, WandaVision takes place a few weeks after Endgame and FatWS takes place a few months or so afterwards.  The latest Spiderman takes place after both of the shows.

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-watch-the-marvel-movies-in-order
If you want to get extremely crazy and add in all the shows, here is your breakdown, including which episodes of Agents of Shield to watch when.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a825774/marvel-cinematic-universe-in-chronological-order/

Last edited by a moderator:
Maurile Tremblay said:
I've determined that the MCU movies aren't really my jam.

My brief reviews:

The Avengers: Fun movie. A bit too long, a bit light on meaningful plot, a bit too much emphasis on special effects, but on the whole it was entertaining. I don't regret watching it.

Winter Soldier: Good movie. Well written. The action sequences were too long, but at least they had gravity due to an interesting plot.

Guardians of the Galaxy: This was my favorite MCU movie. It was lighthearted with a fast pace; the humor was great; the characters were fun. No complaints about this one.

Civil War: Things started to slow down here. Spider-Man was the best part. There was plenty of action, but non-stop action gets boring for me. There was some good humor, but less than in Guardians. I'd give it a pretty average grade.

Infinity War: The series lost me here. It was way too long. There were more characters than an abbreviated plot could handle, and the plot was abbreviated because the screen-time was dominated by special effects. I think I hate CGI now.

Endgame: I was initially slated to watch this a couple weeks ago, but I didn't feel like it. I'm not going to force it. I'll probably watch it at some point, but not until I'm in the mood for it. I don't know when that will be; I just feel like I need a break from superheroes for a while.
As others have said, if these are the only movies you watched, it explains why you feel the way you do. 

I'm a bit of an outlier, but two of my favorites are the first Captain America and Dr. Strange.  I've probably watched them both more than the other movies.  Strange is my favorite character in the MCU and I can't fully explain why....maybe it is because he is the only guy who could truly match wits with Stark.  I also loved his origin story and his role in Endgame.

If you want to get extremely crazy and add in all the shows, here is your breakdown, including which episodes of Agents of Shield to watch when.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a825774/marvel-cinematic-universe-in-chronological-order/
So, started this last night with watching the first half of Captain America.  Enjoyed it but we had gotten home late so couldn't stay awake.  I'm already enjoying the origin story of Captain America and seeing how it ties in to Agent Carter and the new Falcon series is cool.  I'm excited to keep this up and see where I notice the tie-ins.

I'm a bit of an outlier, but two of my favorites are the first Captain America and Dr. Strange.  I've probably watched them both more than the other movies.  Strange is my favorite character in the MCU and I can't fully explain why....maybe it is because he is the only guy who could truly match wits with Stark.  I also loved his origin story and his role in Endgame.
Dr Strange was a great movie. 

So, started this last night with watching the first half of Captain America.  Enjoyed it but we had gotten home late so couldn't stay awake.  I'm already enjoying the origin story of Captain America and seeing how it ties in to Agent Carter and the new Falcon series is cool.  I'm excited to keep this up and see where I notice the tie-ins.
The early seasons of AoS definitely ties in well, and you get some good movie crossovers.

I would consider doing this myself but I binged AoS over the summer so not ready to do that again. I also have watched the Defenders a few times. 

Still need to get through S2 and 3 of Runaways and S2 of Cloak and Dagger.  Those two were ok (better then Inhumans) but got a little dark for my daughter and just haven't grabbed my as much as other series have.

The early seasons of AoS definitely ties in well, and you get some good movie crossovers.

I would consider doing this myself but I binged AoS over the summer so not ready to do that again. I also have watched the Defenders a few times. 

Still need to get through S2 and 3 of Runaways and S2 of Cloak and Dagger.  Those two were ok (better then Inhumans) but got a little dark for my daughter and just haven't grabbed my as much as other series have.
On the TV shows, here are my ranks:

• WandaVision - enough said
  • Daredevil - S1, S3, S2 (S2 not as strong as first and last seasons) Cox and D'Onofrio were tremendous and hope they come back in those roles in the MCU
  • Agents of Shields (many up and downs but more ups and downs weren't really low) Tremendous ensemble cast
  • Jessica Jones - S1, S3, S2 (David Tennant really makes the series, last 2 weren't as good as the first)
  • Punisher - Perfect role for Jon Bernthal - also hopes he comes back to the MCU. Hard to rank this one because both seasons of it were better than the last 2 seasons of JJ, but the first season of JJ was really good.
  • Agent Carter - Very good series, Haley Atwell was perfect for the role. Much too short.
  • Luke Cage - first half of S1 I thought was really good, it dipped after a certain actor left. S2 not as strong
  • Defenders - Did not come off as well as it could/should have
  • Iron Fist - Terrible plot and bad lead actor. I did like Colleen
  • Runaways - I only watched a few episodes whereas my wife watched it all. Very much a Young Adult drama show that did not appeal to me nor did it feel like it fit in with the rest of the MCU
  • Haven't watched Cloak and Dagger, but the previews looked way better than....
  • Inhumans - This looked like hot garbage, didn't watch

It will be “easy” for me as I won’t be repeating many of these at all.  Not that I don’t enjoy Marvel, just never watched a lot.  I have seen the End Game movies and several others.  WandaVision was so good I decided to take the plunge.

• Daredevil - S1, S3, S2 (S2 not as strong as first and last seasons) Cox and D'Onofrio were tremendous and hope they come back in those roles in the MCU
  • Agents of Shields (many up and downs but more ups and downs weren't really low) Tremendous ensemble cast
  • Jessica Jones - S1, S3, S2 (David Tennant really makes the series, last 2 weren't as good as the first)
  • Punisher - Perfect role for Jon Bernthal - also hopes he comes back to the MCU. Hard to rank this one because both seasons of it were better than the last 2 seasons of JJ, but the first season of JJ was really good.
  • Luke Cage - first half of S1 I thought was really good, it dipped after a certain actor left. S2 not as strong
  • Runaways - I only watched a few episodes whereas my wife watched it all. Very much a Young Adult drama show that did not appeal to me nor did it feel like it fit in with the rest of the MCU
I just rewatched Punisher and the Defenders.

The Punisher is awesome.  I'd rank it #3 at least and could be persuaded it is better than Daredevil (except for my mancrush on D'Onofrio and my hetero-crush on Woll).  Jon Bernthal IS Frank Castle.

If a superhero is broke, can't they just collect the reward for catching a couple bad guys?
Yeah, this is the part of episode one that lost me.  I know they are trying to "humanize" the super heroes, but they are still super heroes and the elite of the elite.  You can't tell me that Falcon is not getting paid huge money to thread the needle of a blackhawk helicopter for the U.S. government, all while doing it on the down low.  Surely Stark left some sort of "Avenger" fund for these guys?  Where is Nick Fury to co-sign the loan????

You forgot Agent Carter

Yeah, this is the part of episode one that lost me.  I know they are trying to "humanize" the super heroes, but they are still super heroes and the elite of the elite.  You can't tell me that Falcon is not getting paid huge money to thread the needle of a blackhawk helicopter for the U.S. government, all while doing it on the down low.  Surely Stark left some sort of "Avenger" fund for these guys?  Where is Nick Fury to co-sign the loan????
But I think the point was he was gone for 5 years until the blip

Fury is in outer space.

-fish- said:
You forgot Agent Carter
I realize it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I loved Agent Carter. I'd actually put it above any of the NetFlix shows. I think it's fair to say that if you enjoyed the original Captain America you'll enjoy Agent Carter. 

Captain America: The First Avenger and S1 ep. 1-3 done.

I’m guessing at this point there’s no spoilers for any of these?

Really enjoyed all of Captain America.  Question - did Red Skull die when he grabbed that thing at the end or should I just shut up and keep watching?

I will say skinny/scrawny Captain America freaked me out early on but it wasn’t too distracting but some of the special effects were a little much.  Then again - I still like the original SW trilogy and those are pretty bad now.

Agent Carter is entertaining enough - my only problem is with so many episodes (and with so many other shows with a lot of episodes) do you get the payoff in the overall Universe? I don’t really care as long as it’s entertaining but not sure I want to sit through 20 hours of a crap show just to get a single reference.  I’m invested in trying this so not bowing out now but if things slow down along the way I may ask for somebody to suggest hitting the skip button.

Hov34 said:
Agreed. Zero chance at least that Stark wasn’t paying them big money. 

Captain America: The First Avenger and S1 ep. 1-3 done.

I’m guessing at this point there’s no spoilers for any of these?

Really enjoyed all of Captain America.  Question - did Red Skull die when he grabbed that thing at the end or should I just shut up and keep watching?

I will say skinny/scrawny Captain America freaked me out early on but it wasn’t too distracting but some of the special effects were a little much.  Then again - I still like the original SW trilogy and those are pretty bad now.

Agent Carter is entertaining enough - my only problem is with so many episodes (and with so many other shows with a lot of episodes) do you get the payoff in the overall Universe? I don’t really care as long as it’s entertaining but not sure I want to sit through 20 hours of a crap show just to get a single reference.  I’m invested in trying this so not bowing out now but if things slow down along the way I may ask for somebody to suggest hitting the skip button.
shut it and keep watching 

So, what exactly happened to Steve Rodgers?  He gives Sam the shield at the end of Endgame. Did he die?  Did he take Thanos’s retirement hut?

Obviously he’s gone. But there never truly was closure there. 

So, what exactly happened to Steve Rodgers?  He gives Sam the shield at the end of Endgame. Did he die?  Did he take Thanos’s retirement hut?

Probably best not to think about it too much. Just the fact that he went back in time, married a woman that wasn’t previously married in the timeline and lived for decades as a hidden genetically modified super soldier living a normal life while his past self was also alive doing all sorts of Avengers things is all sorts of weird.

Probably best not to think about it too much. Just the fact that he went back in time, married a woman that wasn’t previously married in the timeline and lived for decades as a hidden genetically modified super soldier living a normal life while his past self was also alive doing all sorts of Avengers things is all sorts of weird.
In my re-watching of things, they made a point to indicate that Peggy was married, but never reveal who it was.  He was an old man by the end of Endgame (finally), but still probably lived another 100 years.

Public service announcement 

Watch the new episode ASAP. It was good.

And then returned to our timeline to give Sam the shield.

I don't think he's gone.

Although he is approx. 180 years of age, what with the time travel and him staying in the past at the end of Endgame and just living the time he lost.

Did he? Or did he just wait for that moment to take a bus over there to give Sam the shield?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OstryGGxgXo

Taking the stones from the past was going to spawn off a separate timeline, as the Sorc Supreme explained to Hulk. Which is why Steve had to go back to return the stones so that separate timeline would not be one where Dormamu wins, amongst other differences. But that separate timeline still existed, he just made sure it wasn't a nightmare for that world.

Steve being in the past spawned off a different timeline that he lived out his life in. Nothing he did could affect his own timeline's past, remember? Or else they'd just have gone back and wrung baby Thano's neck and movie over. Which means he can't just live out his time and be there to give the shield to Sam.  He had to return to our timeline.

Edit: I suppose if you want to get into a big ball of wibbly wobbly… time-y wimey… stuff... you could say that some OTHER timeline's Steve moved into our past and lived it out.  But it wouldn't be the same Steve that left. He's off stuck in some other timeline now if that was the case.

Hov34 said:
If a superhero is broke, can't they just collect the reward for catching a couple bad guys?
From The Boys, we know they would at minimum all have action figures, movie deals, social media sponsors, appearance fees and other endorsements.  I'd expect Ford would bring back the Falcon and this guy would be front and center in that marketing campaign.

Hov34 said:
Agreed. Zero chance at least that Stark wasn’t paying them big money. 
True, but you gotta think guys like Thor and Hulk had the long term deals with huge up front money that probably ate most of the budget. The lesser, mortal dudes with no real supe powers like Black Widow and Haweye were probably working one year deals with no guaranteed money.  I could see how the blip could wipe them out.

Taking the stones from the past was going to spawn off a separate timeline, as the Sorc Supreme explained to Hulk. Which is why Steve had to go back to return the stones so that separate timeline would not be one where Dormamu wins, amongst other differences. But that separate timeline still existed, he just made sure it wasn't a nightmare for that world.

Steve being in the past spawned off a different timeline that he lived out his life in. Nothing he did could affect his own timeline's past, remember? Or else they'd just have gone back and wrung baby Thano's neck and movie over. Which means he can't just live out his time and be there to give the shield to Sam.  He had to return to our timeline.

Edit: I suppose if you want to get into a big ball of wibbly wobbly… time-y wimey… stuff... you could say that some OTHER timeline's Steve moved into our past and lived it out.  But it wouldn't be the same Steve that left. He's off stuck in some other timeline now if that was the case.
Cap went back into the timeline to return the stones at exactly the same moment that they had been taken from, right?

Same Steve, same timeline.  He just looped back in it and lived out his days.  One Steve, coexisting for part of the timeline, yes, but still the same Steve.

he is captain american so he can do whatever he damn well pleases and time just says hey im ok with it because he is captain usa and thats all there is to it take that to the bank bromigos 

also captain america would kick the crap out of iron dork basically i do not like iron dork or batnerd because those guys superpower is being rich and thats just boring and they are not brohans also tony stark is the son of a weapons for hire derelict and with all the killings that have taken place using stark weapons he is a war criminal take that to the bank brohans 

True, but you gotta think guys like Thor and Hulk had the long term deals with huge up front money that probably ate most of the budget. The lesser, mortal dudes with no real supe powers like Black Widow and Haweye were probably working one year deals with no guaranteed money.  I could see how the blip could wipe them out.
Plus they are probably getting sued all the time, right? Like that’s awesome Banner that you were able to Hulk out and save the world by smashing that alien with the Dodge Challenger you picked up, but I still had 20 payments left on that thing.

I don’t like the non juiced “heroes”, never getting hurt.  New capt A, and his sidekick, should be in the hospital. 

Was the OG super soldier, supposed to be older than capt a/Bucky?  Wasn’t clear to me. If so, he’s not old enough. 

And it seems like they nerfed Bucky,  no?

Plus they are probably getting sued all the time, right? Like that’s awesome Banner that you were able to Hulk out and save the world by smashing that alien with the Dodge Challenger you picked up, but I still had 20 payments left on that thing.
Yeah, no way any of these guys is insurable. 

There were plans for a series about Damage Control but it never happened.  If it was done right, that could have been a fun series.

Cap went back into the timeline to return the stones at exactly the same moment that they had been taken from, right?
Right.

If Steve does not take the Stones back... then in alternate timeline, when the events of Doctor Strange happen, Strange can't put Dormamu into a time loop to defeat him. Dormamu conquers that timeline which is what Sorc Supreme was getting at with Hulk on how it dooms her timeline.

But Steve takes the Stones back. So some events from the MCU still take place in alternate timeline as normal. Like Dr. Strange happens pretty much normally.  Other things like Infinity War never happen in that timeline because Thanos left that timeline to jump into our present and was killed.  (Unless you want to say that instead of dusting them, Tony actually sent them back to their own timeline in the third Snap in which case their timeline can mirror ours closer.)

But either way, if Hulk is right that you can't time travel to kill baby Thanos and have it change the present to where the first Snap never happened... then neither can Steve time travel and change our present into one where he lived out his life with Peggy for all those years.

So Steve had to time travel back to our time.  Or, make a new movie or web short that shows Steve doing something with the stones before returning them that let it happen.

Edit to add:  Or you just say, well, they had some time travel loopholes in the plot. ;)

also captain america would kick the crap out of iron dork basically i do not like iron dork or batnerd because those guys superpower is being rich and thats just boring and they are not brohans also tony stark is the son of a weapons for hire derelict and with all the killings that have taken place using stark weapons he is a war criminal take that to the bank brohans 
Ah but remember that the Iron dork's father, the weapons for hire derelict, helped create Captain America. So in a way, he is father to the Iron Dork and Captain USA. Think on that, Amigo, and have an awesome weekend

Loving this series but my wife who loved WandaVision is not impressed so far. I will say they may be trying a tad too hard with the buddy comedy aspect, and Bucky should be way tougher in these fights. He was so badass in The Winter Soldier/Civil War, now he's kinda sorta okay?

Users who are viewing this thread