What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (5 Viewers)

Just an FYI, "The Gifted" is not all that great, but watchable. Right now it's all "Run Mutants Run", and the stories basically write themselves.  I was a fan of the whole "mutant registration act" comic storyline, so this is in my wheel house.  Can't put my finger on what's missing. 

There's an underlying lack of confidence in the show, so they try and squeeze in as much action as possible.  Everything rushes to the next action scene.  Wish this had been on a channel like FX where it could get a slow-burn and build an audience. 

Edit: Not officially MCU, but I think they mentioned the X Men in it once and there's a lot of "Sentinel" chatter

Last edited by a moderator:
I've liked the Gifted so far alot like the early episodes of Heroes only set in the X-men universe with better effects. Polaris is Magneto's daughter in the comics but hasn't been mentioned in the series yet 

The Mutant Registration Act storyline was great. Poignant and timely made even more weighty from the tie ins to Magneto and the Third Reich. Marvel really screwed up by selling the rights to the mutants. The inhuman storyline in Agents of Shield  comes off as a cheap imitation. 

Finished most recent episode of The Gifted.  Enjoying it still.  More than Inhumans still, though Inhumans is perhaps slightly improving.

I still wonder why none of these Inhumans who get offed use their powers to fight back against the guards though. You'd think at least one of them would have something mildly helpful, or else how are they rating so high in the caste system to be on the Genetic Council?

Finished most recent episode of The Gifted.  Enjoying it still.  More than Inhumans still, though Inhumans is perhaps slightly improving.

I still wonder why none of these Inhumans who get offed use their powers to fight back against the guards though. You'd think at least one of them would have something mildly helpful, or else how are they rating so high in the caste system to be on the Genetic Council?
I would think that Inhumans with combat powers would be in the guard, whereas members of the Genetic Council would have powers that help them serve in a more advisory/administrative capacity. 

Thor is doing extremely well across the board for reviews.

The movie is running at 96% on RT after the first 84 reviews are in.  Here is the non spoiler consensus so far

=============================

Critics Consensus: Exciting, funny, and above all fun, Thor: Ragnarok is a colorful cosmic adventure that sets a new standard for its franchise -- and the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Fox - x men and fantastic 4 suck because it's fox making them. Although Deadpool was good.
Maybe the bar was set way too low from all the basing, but I thought Fantastic Four was pretty good and the franchise had potential. 

Thor is doing extremely well across the board for reviews.

The movie is running at 96% on RT after the first 84 reviews are in.  Here is the non spoiler consensus so far

=============================

Critics Consensus: Exciting, funny, and above all fun, Thor: Ragnarok is a colorful cosmic adventure that sets a new standard for its franchise -- and the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
So excited for this.

Just an FYI, "The Gifted" is not all that great, but watchable. Right now it's all "Run Mutants Run", and the stories basically write themselves.  I was a fan of the whole "mutant registration act" comic storyline, so this is in my wheel house.  Can't put my finger on what's missing. 

There's an underlying lack of confidence in the show, so they try and squeeze in as much action as possible.  Everything rushes to the next action scene.  Wish this had been on a channel like FX where it could get a slow-burn and build an audience. 

Edit: Not officially MCU, but I think they mentioned the X Men in it once and there's a lot of "Sentinel" chatter
Can you shed light on the event that killed the sentinal agents daughter. I thought it might have been the blast at the start of the civil war arc but it doesnt seem that way. Wondering if the series touches on it

AcerFC said:

Can you shed light on the event that killed the sentinal agents daughter. I thought it might have been the blast at the start of the civil war arc but it doesnt seem that way. Wondering if the series touches on it

At first I thought they meant Magneto destroying the world in Apocalypse. But it's some other "event" that they are revealing gradually.

It’s no different on Fox’s upcoming drama The Gifted, which introduces a United States in which the government has cracked down on mutant activities following a mysterious “cataclysmic event” that’s somehow tied to the disappearance of the X-Men.

“The X-Men are gone. The Brotherhood is gone. Most of the powerful classic mutants are not around,” showrunner Matt Nix recently explained to CBR. “People don’t know where they’ve gone. They are shrouded in mystery. It comes out gradually over the course of the series that there’s been a cataclysmic event, a bit of a 9/11 event, that caused enormous social upheaval and a lot of hatred towards mutants. It’s somehow related to the disappearance of the X-Men and the Brotherhood.”

So, I liked it, but...

They amped up the silly meter on Thor and Hulk.  I know that's what they intended, but those characters were already too established to do that.  Ant-man and GotG, fine, it's their introduction into the MCU so you can have any slant.  To go from almost humorless to Laurel and Hardy was a little jolting.  I still liked the plot and action and there were some good laughs in there, but I think this one will shake out in the middle of the MCU pack for me.  Still the best Thor movie though.

So, I liked it, but...

They amped up the silly meter on Thor and Hulk.  I know that's what they intended, but those characters were already too established to do that.  Ant-man and GotG, fine, it's their introduction into the MCU so you can have any slant.  To go from almost humorless to Laurel and Hardy was a little jolting.  I still liked the plot and action and there were some good laughs in there, but I think this one will shake out in the middle of the MCU pack for me.  Still the best Thor movie though.
I don't know that they started out humorless--from the first Avengers movie to Ultron, Hulk and Thor always had funny little rivalry happening. The humor was cranked to 11 in Ragnarok, but the Thor movies needed a boost, and these two characters, having been left out of Civil War, got some quality time. My only real critique of the movie is that, to me, Hela felt like subplot--I wish we could've seen her do more damage. Plus, I always want more Cate Blanchett.

Just saw on Twitter (also a rumor) that 20th Century Fox is talking with Disney about selling rights to certain franchises to them.  I would hope the X-men rights would be one of those franchises.  It's almost criminal they haven't been able to mix the X-men in with the rest of the MCU.

Just saw on Twitter (also a rumor) that 20th Century Fox is talking with Disney about selling rights to certain franchises to them.  I would hope the X-men rights would be one of those franchises.  It's almost criminal they haven't been able to mix the X-men in with the rest of the MCU.
If this goes through it should be great for movie goers, but it will be interesting to see how the transition from the current actors to new ones goes.  I think after Avengers 5 most of them are done.  

Doesn't x-men still make a lot for fox? This would be surprising. 

Edit: just read that fox may sell their entire entertainment ring to Disney. Well ok then. 

Watched Civil War again tonight. As much as I like this movie and the introduction of the new characters, the movie has some bad and stupid plots. Anyone that knows more about the MCU care to explain them to me?

First the whole Sokovia accords, when the S.o.S is talking to the Avengers and he saying they can't have free reign anymore and he uses examples like New York, and Washington etc. Is this something from the comic books? Could they not come up with a better reason? Loki, Hydra, Ultron were trying to take over the Earth, innocent people were going to die. The Avengers saved the day. 

Second, was the plot to split the Avengers apart, was this also from the comic books? Feels like a very weak way to split the Avengers apart, some random guy with skills from the military set this all up. 

Last thing was from the S.o.S again. When he mentioned Thor and Banner and were they are at and how much trouble he would be in if he lost 30 ton nukes. I get those 2 are powerful, but do you really want to know where Banner is? Leave him be and let him be stress free, and Thor is a God from another planet, how the hell should they know where he is, he isn't on Earth. 

If there is a transfer of characters as big as the X-Men it would be after the MCU as we know it and then a reboot years later that has it all together. No point in jamming in anything right now.

Watched Civil War again tonight. As much as I like this movie and the introduction of the new characters, the movie has some bad and stupid plots. Anyone that knows more about the MCU care to explain them to me?

First the whole Sokovia accords, when the S.o.S is talking to the Avengers and he saying they can't have free reign anymore and he uses examples like New York, and Washington etc. Is this something from the comic books? Could they not come up with a better reason? Loki, Hydra, Ultron were trying to take over the Earth, innocent people were going to die. The Avengers saved the day. 

Second, was the plot to split the Avengers apart, was this also from the comic books? Feels like a very weak way to split the Avengers apart, some random guy with skills from the military set this all up. 

Last thing was from the S.o.S again. When he mentioned Thor and Banner and were they are at and how much trouble he would be in if he lost 30 ton nukes. I get those 2 are powerful, but do you really want to know where Banner is? Leave him be and let him be stress free, and Thor is a God from another planet, how the hell should they know where he is, he isn't on Earth. 
Ross (the S.o.S) is a key nemesis of the Hulk. Having been involved in his creation, Banner having been his daughter's lover, and then leading the forces trying to capture Hulk, even to the lengths of creating Abomination in the attempt. Ross being concerned about Hulk's location was very much in character.  

I'm going from what I've heard on this part, haven't read a lot of comics myself, mostly seen TV shows and movies.  There was a story line in the comics called Civil War, which started with some mutant super heroes who had a reality TV show and showed a live raid that ended up with one of the villains setting off an explosion which killed most of the heroes, as well as most of the children at a nearby elementary school.  That led to the comics equivalent of the Sokovia accords and the heroes being split over registering/complying or not and fighting each other.

So the movie version tried to come up with its own motivation based on past movies but also including the explosion that took out the Wakandans early in the film. Given all the totally ####ed up stuff that happens in the real world with schools, that audiences are sensitive to, I think that was probably wiser than going straight with the comics version.   I agree, you do sit there and think how can they criticize them for New York at least.  I think Sokovia is a valid motivation for the Accords though since Stark made Ultron, and I'd go with what happened in Washington DC during Winter Soldier as being valid in that SHIELD kind of fell in the same vein as super heroes as being not something the governments would tolerate anymore without more direct oversight.

Looking forward to Agents of Shield coming back in three weeks. Can't believe they thought Inhumans would be so much better and put all their weight behind that. Still watching it and hoping it improves but what a dud/miss. Bad dialogue and direction of the actors, unsympathetic and unrelatable main characters, feels like I am only hanging on because of blind faith in Marvel. Sure AoS wasn't very good through its early episodes either, but a lot of that had to do with killing time for the Winter Soldier crossover.

Not a fan of the Inhumans storyline.  I think it had a lot of promise, but just the whole angle/story was rushed or incomplete.  I don't see ABC keeping the show around, but I wouldn't mind seeing Crystal join the AoS group.  She had some potential and could fit in with that group, IMO.  The others were kind of wasted.  Also, what a crappy decision to shave Medusa's head just to save the money on the CGI for her hair.  If you can't do it right, don't do it at all.   :thumbdown:

Not a fan of the Inhumans storyline.  I think it had a lot of promise, but just the whole angle/story was rushed or incomplete.  I don't see ABC keeping the show around, but I wouldn't mind seeing Crystal join the AoS group.  She had some potential and could fit in with that group, IMO.  The others were kind of wasted.  Also, what a crappy decision to shave Medusa's head just to save the money on the CGI for her hair.  If you can't do it right, don't do it at all.   :thumbdown:
I have read that the main showrunner was the same guy that did season 1 of Iron Fist, the least liked Netflix Marvel show. He is now gone, so if there is a season 2, maybe it will be a lot better.

Wish they would have kept Agent Carter around, at the very least so I could stare at Hayley Atwell some more.

Buckna said:
Looking forward to Agents of Shield coming back in three weeks. Can't believe they thought Inhumans would be so much better and put all their weight behind that. Still watching it and hoping it improves but what a dud/miss. Bad dialogue and direction of the actors, unsympathetic and unrelatable main characters, feels like I am only hanging on because of blind faith in Marvel. Sure AoS wasn't very good through its early episodes either, but a lot of that had to do with killing time for the Winter Soldier crossover.
I agree.  That was the high point of the MCU experience for me, actually, the way that AoS led seamlessly into Winter Soldier.  I thought they had a shot to do something really specially by weaving this interconnected Marvel Universe in a way that the comics are interwoven.  Instead they decided to take the nerds out of the decision-making process it seems.  Similar to how Disney is handling the Star Wars trilogy, by making it a reboot instead of a true sequal/continuation.  It's not the worst thing in the world, both still highly entertaining, but a shame because in both instances the potential was just so much greater.

I have read that the main showrunner was the same guy that did season 1 of Iron Fist, the least liked Netflix Marvel show. He is now gone, so if there is a season 2, maybe it will be a lot better.

Wish they would have kept Agent Carter around, at the very least so I could stare at Hayley Atwell some more.
Agent Carter was fantastic, and another thread in the TV-Movie MCU tapestry that has just been deemed too much effort to keep up I guess.

When it comes time to replace actors in roles because of contracts, interest, aging or whatever... I really hope they don't start going off down the road of changing Thor into a woman and turning Falcon into Captain America and all of that type of changing of the heart of the core characters as opposed to just replacing the actor.

I have a feeling that would be a great way for them to kill the general public's interest in the Marvel franchises. I think if they start going down that road it is just going to end up feeling ridiculous to people, and a lot of the interest that has been built up would get thrown away.

Or maybe that's just me projecting my feelings onto the general populace?  I hate them changing the characters like that, it feels cheap and kills any built up feeling of connection to them. It would probably take someone coming in and totally stealing the role with a portrayal at a Robert Downey-as-Iron-Man level for me to think it was a positive change.

We've had a ton of spidermen, batman and Bonds. Don't know why we can't have different actors as Captain America. I kind of doubt they do that though, at least anytime soon. 

When it comes time to replace actors in roles because of contracts, interest, aging or whatever... I really hope they don't start going off down the road of changing Thor into a woman and turning Falcon into Captain America and all of that type of changing of the heart of the core characters as opposed to just replacing the actor.

I have a feeling that would be a great way for them to kill the general public's interest in the Marvel franchises. I think if they start going down that road it is just going to end up feeling ridiculous to people, and a lot of the interest that has been built up would get thrown away.

Or maybe that's just me projecting my feelings onto the general populace?  I hate them changing the characters like that, it feels cheap and kills any built up feeling of connection to them. It would probably take someone coming in and totally stealing the role with a portrayal at a Robert Downey-as-Iron-Man level for me to think it was a positive change.
TBH I can honestly see them doing a lot of that since the comics have already gone down those paths. It would suck since I have thought most of the modern Marvel stories haven't been very good.

I know this might be unpopular, but I actually liked the Inhumans. The first couple episodes weren't good, and some of the makeup looked bad (Triton). But I enjoyed the second-half of the series. 

Users who are viewing this thread