What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (16 Viewers)

Kind of like Planet Hulk / Ragnarok? 
That they managed to bring it down to Thor on a quest and made it fun. He was an established charcter through 4 movies at that point. So people knew what to expect from him.

Green Lantern never did that (DC writers). They tried to be too big too fast. You never got a feel for why I should care about GL and how important he was. 

Captain Marvel looks like it's trying to be more epic than fun but it is marvel so we'll see. if they can do a decent job establishing her character, then it will be more believable and likeable when she does the Superman thing.

The only movie with an official release date after End Game is the next Spiderman movie which will be released in July.

I think we would have had a Guardians 3 release date by now if they did not have the scandal which caused them to remove Gunn from the movie.
This is correct, GOTG3 was originally set for 2020 until Gunn got fired. They had already started some pre-production when that happened and supposedly it is on hold until at least 2021 for now. Spider-Man 3 is the only confirmed release date at this time. BP2, Dr S2 have both been confirmed in the works but no release date or news on the order they will come out. Some speculation that Dr S2 will come out in 2021. Kevin Feige was quoted as saying a year or so ago that they had planned out something like 20 more movies after Endgame.

Likely they are holding all the info about Phase 4 close to the vest until after Endgame comes out. In 2014 they had a big press conference when they announced Phase 3. They had Downey & Evans come on stage and do like a boxing match type face-off at which point they announced the 1st movie in Phase 3 would be Civil War. I would guess they are planning a similar big press conference reveal at some point.

Advance ticket sales for Captain Marvel are the third biggest for any title in the Marvel Cinematic Universe behind Avengers: Infinity War and Black Panther, according to Fandango. To boot, Marvel and Disney's first female-fronted superhero pic is pacing ahead of DC's Aquaman and Wonder Woman in terms of presales at the same point in the cycle, according to the online ticketing company.

The tentpole, which is set to hit theaters March 8, is tracking to open to a huge $100 million to $120 million. Forecasts could easily be revised upwards as Disney makes its final marketing push.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/captain-marvel-passes-up-aquaman-wonder-woman-presales-1188788

That last 45 sec TV spot they released tying this origin story to the original decade-old origins of Iron Man, Cap, and Thor was really good and got me pumped to see it. 

That last 45 sec TV spot they released tying this origin story to the original decade-old origins of Iron Man, Cap, and Thor was really good and got me pumped to see it. 
No offense and maybe you are just using the work loosely - but there is nothing tying her origin to the others in that clip

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense and maybe you are just using the work loosely - but there is nothing tying her origin to the others in that clip
Yea it was more of a mashup bringing all the heroes we like and then throwing her in at the end because we should just like her too. Let's see the movie first and then we can decide. Not a good feeling for this with the way they're marketing it. 

Tying together more thematically I mean. In terms of importance and reminding us that they were all origin stories not so long ago as well. It was smart for them to put her in their company in that clip and conflate them in our minds imo. Just a smart marketing choice. 

What else could I have meant, out of curiosity? Even those three don't have origins tied to each other. 

So I watched like 5 trailers in a row. I like Captain Marvel as a super hero, but I don't like it when she is not in the suit and she talks. I can't exactly explain why. The dialogue just seems forced. And maybe that's because I'm getting minute snippets in a short trailer, but it seems rough. Still going though. It's Marvel. 
I dont' really remember seeing her in anything else.....but just from the trailers of this....she doesn't have a good delivery.

Latest trailer that's more a documentary was a lot better. Goes more into the story and the villains. What to expect from the characters. 

ConnSKINS26 said:
Tying together more thematically I mean. In terms of importance and reminding us that they were all origin stories not so long ago as well. It was smart for them to put her in their company in that clip and conflate them in our minds imo. Just a smart marketing choice. 

What else could I have meant, out of curiosity? Even those three don't have origins tied to each other. 
That's true but the word "tying" implies a connection.

On a separate note,  I feel this move feels a little deus ex machina.  And it's being set in the past to try to skirt that issue.  

I hate to say this but does it seem like Brie Larson isn't bringing much gravitas/weight to the dialogue? By that I mean in the trailer she gets a badass line at the end...and it sounds like a young girl delivered it. No emotion or oomph behind it, made it seem kinda corny. Love all these movies so I'm probably wrong. 

^^^

Posted this 2.5 months ago after the first trailers...agree with you guys saying at least from what I've seen, her delivery is off for a Marvel movie. 

Captain Marvel could be total bland cookie cutter stuff and it would still gross a quarter billion or so

the Marvel train keep rolling

interconnecting the characters/universe was something Stan Lee did in the comics that was brilliant 

in the MCU, it has really helped to expand the audiences for each new character...and making each movie work as a stand-alone and yet have each movie be a part of the whole story is brilliant.

Brie Larson did win an Oscar for Best Actress in '16.  I'm not worried about her being able to pull off the part.

Brie Larson did win an Oscar for Best Actress in '16.  I'm not worried about her being able to pull off the part.
That's what I think as well. Was just surprised it came off so weak in the trailers and it seems I wasn't the only one who thought her delivery, out of context, was underwhelming. 

I'm sure she's going to be great in the role, Marvel just doesn't usually fumble any aspect of the hype train. 

And Halle Berry won an oscar and couldn't deliver lines worth a damn in X-Men. 

Don't get me wrong, I am excited for the movie both as a Marvel fan and also since my daughter is excited to see it.  I am not worried about Larson and am not judging until after we see it.  Marvel gets a lot of leeway with me with how well they've done overall.  Heck, she could be great like the majority of people Marvel has cast or she could be the movie version of the Iron Fist.  

So what if one of them falls flatter then the first two Thor movies? They can't all be Oscar worthy can they?  

Sheesh, some of you need to relax and just watch the movie before making up your mind about it.
The movie can be horrible and will still be a blockbuster as we are all "forced" to see it to stay in the loop for the next avengers film. Personally I think this will be one of the weaker offerings of the run, but I am going to see it no matter what the reviews say or my opinion of what Bree thinks in her real life.

The movie can be horrible and will still be a blockbuster as we are all "forced" to see it to stay in the loop for the next avengers film. Personally I think this will be one of the weaker offerings of the run, but I am going to see it no matter what the reviews say or my opinion of what Bree thinks in her real life.
I'm not being forced to see it. I want to see it. Despite the weak delivery I see in the trailers. I don't feel like any of the movies mailed it in from the MCU. Mamoa in Aquaman couldn't pull off a few of his lines very well, but the movie was really entertaining. To me, that's worst case scenario for this movie. 

Rotten Tomatoes has now emoved pre-release reviews for movies now. To avoid review bombing that you see on occasion. Now there is only a button for “I want to see this movie”, and that requires you to log in as well.

Well done, RT.

Rotten Tomatoes has now removed pre-release reviews for movies now. To avoid review bombing that you see on occasion. Now there is only a button for “I want to see this movie”, and that requires you to log in as well.

Well done, RT.
Geez, Rotten Tomatoes goes all-in to protect Captain Marvel.  They've also disabled the comments section, and removed the "want to see" percentage before a movie is released.

Would these changes have been made if the comments were overwhelmingly positive?  Would these changes have been made if the audience overwhelmingly voted they "want to see" the movie?

That said, as a private enterprise they have no duty to the community at large to provide both the positive and negative aspects of a film, nor do they have a responsibility to give a voice to those that don't want to see a movie.  There's a lot of sites to get movie reviews from, plenty of which aren't working part and parcel with the movie industry.

Edit to add: prior to RT removing the "want to see" percentage, Captain Marvel was at 27%, which prompted the changes.

Geez, Rotten Tomatoes goes all-in to protect Captain Marvel.  They've also disabled the comments section, and removed the "want to see" percentage before a movie is released.

Would these changes have been made if the comments were overwhelmingly positive?  Would these changes have been made if the audience overwhelmingly voted they "want to see" the movie?

That said, as a private enterprise they have no duty to the community at large to provide both the positive and negative aspects of a film, nor do they have a responsibility to give a voice to those that don't want to see a movie.  There's a lot of sites to get movie reviews from, plenty of which aren't working part and parcel with the movie industry.

Edit to add: prior to RT removing the "want to see" percentage, Captain Marvel was at 27%, which prompted the changes.
A pretty long winded post, confirming fake reviews being put out to purposely damage a woman for having opinions.

It seems reasonable to me.  Not sure why people would complain about this change

==============

“We are disabling the comment function prior to a movie’s release date. Unfortunately, we have seen an uptick in non-constructive input, sometimes bordering on trolling, which we believe is a disservice to our general readership. We have decided that turning off this feature for now is the best course of action. Don’t worry though, fans will still get to have their say: Once a movie is released, audiences can leave a user rating and comments as they always have.”

Stat’s buddies are having a fit about this RT change.
If Mel Gibson was directing the next Marvel movie and said he didn't care about the opinions of black or women reviewers because he didn't make the movie for them, he wouldn't be able to get out of his driveway due to the protesters lining up outside of his house.

She's a sexist and a racist and I choose not to do something that's going to benefit her, or benefit Marvel/Disney for standing by and letting it happen.

That's not snowflakey, that's making a stand against racism and sexism.  I choose to judge people by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin or by their gender.

Clicking a button that says you don't want to see a movie isn't a "fake review"
This is the defense the review bombers and are currently using to defend driving down the audience score prior to release. Until now, you used to be able to rate a movie "Want to See" or "Not Interested" and RT displayed the percentage of people who WANTED TO SEE the movie. They spammed so many "Not Interested" they drove the percentage under 30% before RT killed the feature. We all know why they were doing that.

One other thing that people seem to be misinterpreting is that "criticism" isn't the same as "trolling".  The two are being conveniently lumped together in order to consider any legitimate criticism to be "trolling".  It's almost like "trolling" has become equal to "anything that doesn't agree with how I think about things".

One other thing that people seem to be misinterpreting is that "criticism" isn't the same as "trolling".  The two are being conveniently lumped together in order to consider any legitimate criticism to be "trolling".  It's almost like "trolling" has become equal to "anything that doesn't agree with how I think about things".
Criticism is great, but to purposefully misuse a site in order to make a product look bad is trolling. Not criticism.

Criticism is great, but to purposefully misuse a site in order to make a product look bad is trolling. Not criticism.
I read many of the comments.  They went far beyond general criticism.

The same thing happened with Black Panther and Last Jedi sadly. 

So you're saying there's no legitimate criticism of this movie?  There's nobody legitimately clicking "I don't want to see this"?  That's madness

This is the same shield that Ghostbusters 2016 threw up, but the movie just stank.  People clicked they didn't want to see it, and they didn't.  Those that foolishly went to the theaters and saw it found out that the negative "misogynist troll" vibe wasn't "trolling" it was legitimate criticism.

Let's not even go here
I think you are missing the point.  People should be able to rightly give criticism of a movie after they have seen it.

But people created facebook groups, to recruit others to troll bomb both Last Jedi and Black Panther before they had even been released.   

So you're saying there's no legitimate criticism of this movie?  There's nobody legitimately clicking "I don't want to see this"?  That's madness

This is the same shield that Ghostbusters 2016 threw up, but the movie just stank.  People clicked they didn't want to see it, and they didn't.  Those that foolishly went to the theaters and saw it found out that the negative "misogynist troll" vibe wasn't "trolling" it was legitimate criticism.
You’re trying to tell us something is true that we ALL know is not. People admittedly downvoted this movie for the sole purpose of getting back at a woman who dared to express a viewpoint.

I think you are missing the point.  People should be able to rightly give criticism of a movie after they have seen it.  
I think you're missing the point.  Clicking a button that says "I don't want to see this movie" is exactly the type of criticism you give a movie before you see it.

But more importantly, if someone wants to criticize the way the film is marketed, or the opinions expressed by the artists that make it, I feel those criticisms should be heard.  Personally, I like to get all of the information about something - both good and bad.  I don't need big daddy rotten tomatoes to protect me from someone's opinion.  I'm a smart guy, I can separate the wheat from the chaff.  

As for "Facebook groups", If groups of like minded nerds want to use the power of their collective voice to espouse a collective nerdy thought, more power to them.  In the case of Captain Marvels "Want to see this movie" score, I'm sure many pro-feminist "trolls" drove up the numbers as well.

What Captain Marvel is counting on is a huge opening weekend and making this an event movie.  Marvel has a TON of nerd cred, so it's going to do phenomenally well.  But so did The Last Jedi, which counted on Star Wars having TONS of nerd cred.  The Last Jedi soured a lot of Star Wars fans. 

By the time Endgame rolls around this will all be forgotten.  I don't care if Marvel Studios tells me that Captain Marvel is going to swoop in like a Mary Sue and deliver a sonic kick to Thanos jewel sack to win the day...I'll still see the dang thing opening weekend.

I think you're missing the point.  Clicking a button that says "I don't want to see this movie" is exactly the type of criticism you give a movie before you see it.

But more importantly, if someone wants to criticize the way the film is marketed, or the opinions expressed by the artists that make it, I feel those criticisms should be heard.  Personally, I like to get all of the information about something - both good and bad.  I don't need big daddy rotten tomatoes to protect me from someone's opinion.  I'm a smart guy, I can separate the wheat from the chaff.  

As for "Facebook groups", If groups of like minded nerds want to use the power of their collective voice to espouse a collective nerdy thought, more power to them.  In the case of Captain Marvels "Want to see this movie" score, I'm sure many pro-feminist "trolls" drove up the numbers as well.

What Captain Marvel is counting on is a huge opening weekend and making this an event movie.  Marvel has a TON of nerd cred, so it's going to do phenomenally well.  But so did The Last Jedi, which counted on Star Wars having TONS of nerd cred.  The Last Jedi soured a lot of Star Wars fans. 

By the time Endgame rolls around this will all be forgotten.  I don't care if Marvel Studios tells me that Captain Marvel is going to swoop in like a Mary Sue and deliver a sonic kick to Thanos jewel sack to win the day...I'll still see the dang thing opening weekend.
It's the Infinity Gauntlet with the jewels...not the Infinity Sack. 

Black Panther received 3 Oscars which I was surprised to see were the first academy awards received across the 20+ movies so far in the MCU.

A pretty long winded post, confirming fake reviews being put out to purposely damage a woman for having opinions.
There are no reviews before a movie is released. Only a button that says want to see and not interested. The movie was down to 26% not interested as of yesterday. Last night they removed the choice from the site altogether. Now it only says want to see. Seems a rather extreme response to people expressing their opinions on whether they will watch a movie or not.

This is the defense the review bombers and are currently using to defend driving down the audience score prior to release. Until now, you used to be able to rate a movie "Want to See" or "Not Interested" and RT displayed the percentage of people who WANTED TO SEE the movie. They spammed so many "Not Interested" they drove the percentage under 30% before RT killed the feature. We all know why they were doing that.
There is no audience score prior to release.

People downvoting a movie without seeing it isn't legitimate criticism.   This whole thing has led to RT eliminating pre-release reviews, which were a pretty stupid thing to have anyway.

You think anyone else in particular was deserving of one?
I am no expert but they have had plenty of nominations over the years but never broke through with a win.

Best Visual Effects has been their biggest group of nominations but have also been nominated for Sound, and Makeup.

Users who are viewing this thread