What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (9 Viewers)

You’re trying to tell us something is true that we ALL know is not. People admittedly downvoted this movie for the sole purpose of getting back at a woman who dared to express a viewpoint.
Nobody down voted the movie. They said not interested.

I am no expert but they have had plenty of nominations over the years but never broke through with a win.

Best Visual Effects has been their biggest group of nominations but have also been nominated for Sound, and Makeup.
Well if any were going to win best costumes, I don't know what movie in the MCU would be more deserving than Black Panther.  I haven't been blown away by any particular acting role. 

There are no reviews before a movie is released. Only a button that says want to see and not interested.
that is not specifically true.  In this case people are/were allowed to give their opinions on the movie in the comment section of "want to see".  Many of the comments were fake movie reviews calling it the "worst movie they have ever seen" and other obvious troll comments.  Other comments were pretty scary in calling for physical and financial harm to come to the actress.

that is not specifically true.  In this case people are/were allowed to give their opinions on the movie in the comment section of "want to see".  Many of the comments were fake movie reviews calling it the "worst movie they have ever seen" and other obvious troll comments.  Other comments were pretty scary in calling for physical and financial harm to come to the actress.
You get that on most sites of the same ilk. Usually the individual comments are removed. Seems pretty drastic to change the whole system for this one movie.

Well if any were going to win best costumes, I don't know what movie in the MCU would be more deserving than Black Panther.  I haven't been blown away by any particular acting role. 
I think Downey gets over looked as an actor in these just because the movies are Superhero movies and the academy has never really favored that genre.

I am happy Black Panther won 3 awards.

You get that on most sites of the same ilk. Usually the individual comments are removed. Seems pretty drastic to change the whole system for this one movie.
When nearly all of the comments are fake reviews for the purpose of creating a negative perception of a movie, eliminating the ability to do that seems like a pretty easy choice.   

I agree on all counts.  But from what I have read CM was the straw that caused the change.  It has happened on two previous movies as well recently.

When nearly all of the comments are fake reviews for the purpose of creating a negative perception of a movie, eliminating the ability to do that seems like a pretty easy choice.   
For all other movies forever more? And no they weren't all fake posts. You have to create an account to leave a "not interested". There were only about 30,000 or so responses before they shut it down. People are genuinely unhappy with the lead actress and are not going to see her movie. Sure you get the nutjobs as you always do but that's why you delete the posts, delete the accounts and report the IP address to the authorities if necessary. Deleting the whole system that's been working fine for years wreaks of a call down from the big mouse.

One other thing that people seem to be misinterpreting is that "criticism" isn't the same as "trolling".  The two are being conveniently lumped together in order to consider any legitimate criticism to be "trolling".  It's almost like "trolling" has become equal to "anything that doesn't agree with how I think about things".
Sort of like your boy always screaming "Fake News".  Huh?

Disney released the movie to reviewers a while ago.  Outside of some twitter basic comments I have not see a full review released yet.

Does the movie studio make each viewer sign an NDA that they are not allowed to write a about movie until a specified date?

From reading online, I see that the review embargo will not be lifted until next Tuesday.

Disney released the movie to reviewers a while ago.  Outside of some twitter basic comments I have not see a full review released yet.

Does the movie studio make each viewer sign an NDA that they are not allowed to write a about movie until a specified date?

From reading online, I see that the review embargo will not be lifted until next Tuesday.
I think it's typically until a time and date that the studio specifies. Usually a week before the movie to drum up interest. Unless the reviews are all bad. Then they might hold them back until release. 

For all other movies forever more? And no they weren't all fake posts. You have to create an account to leave a "not interested". There were only about 30,000 or so responses before they shut it down. People are genuinely unhappy with the lead actress and are not going to see her movie. Sure you get the nutjobs as you always do but that's why you delete the posts, delete the accounts and report the IP address to the authorities if necessary. Deleting the whole system that's been working fine for years wreaks of a call down from the big mouse.
If they just want to allow a button for "want to see" or "not interested" they should just disable commenting to prevent what they're concerned about.

That's not snowflakey, that's making a stand against racism and sexism.  I choose to judge people by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin or by their gender.

Weird, you were being called out for sexist comments in the Netflix thread only a couple weeks ago. So you're either a troll or a seriously misguided person with a selective memory. 

If Mel Gibson was directing the next Marvel movie and said he didn't care about the opinions of black or women reviewers because he didn't make the movie for them, he wouldn't be able to get out of his driveway due to the protesters lining up outside of his house.

She's a sexist and a racist and I choose not to do something that's going to benefit her, or benefit Marvel/Disney for standing by and letting it happen.

That's not snowflakey, that's making a stand against racism and sexism.  I choose to judge people by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin or by their gender.
Is that really what you hear when reading her comments? An attack on white men? Seeing a room full of white men and saying she wants to hear and see more from women and people of color is not a horrible statement. It's a voice for inclusivity in a historically white male dominated industry. For the life of me I have no idea why it upsets (threatens?) people so much.

So I had to go look up her comments. People are upset because she said there needs to be less white dudes at the media junkets? Statorama isn’t going to see the movie because of THAT?!? :lmao:  
When she says, "I don't need a 40 year old white dude telling what didn't work in 'A Wrinkle In Time'", that's not good (notwithstanding the fact that that movie sucked because it strayed from its source material so terribly that no one wanted to see it.)  Besides, does she not realize that there are hundreds, thousands of YouTubers out there producing content? If she climbed out of her Hollywood bubble and hit up the googles, she'd see that there are many, many women out there commenting on movies. Just because they're not working at Marie Claire, Cosmo, Entertainment Tonight or Entertainment Weekly doesn't mean they're not out there. 

Besides, entertainment is supposed to be for EVERYONE; a white guy can listen to NWA, American Indians can watch Bollywood films, Satanists can watch "Left Behind", etc.  Anyone can watch a Marvel movie and be entertained. 

It's a bad move to say what racial, sexual or ethnic group is supposed to consume. That is very sexist and racist.

When she says, "I don't need a 40 year old white dude telling what didn't work in 'A Wrinkle In Time'", that's not good (notwithstanding the fact that that movie sucked because it strayed from its source material so terribly that no one wanted to see it.)  Besides, does she not realize that there are hundreds, thousands of YouTubers out there producing content? If she climbed out of her Hollywood bubble and hit up the googles, she'd see that there are many, many women out there commenting on movies. Just because they're not working at Marie Claire, Cosmo, Entertainment Tonight or Entertainment Weekly doesn't mean they're not out there. 

Besides, entertainment is supposed to be for EVERYONE; a white guy can listen to NWA, American Indians can watch Bollywood films, Satanists can watch "Left Behind", etc.  Anyone can watch a Marvel movie and be entertained. 

It's a bad move to say what racial, sexual or ethnic group is supposed to consume. That is very sexist and racist.
Why not use the actual quote, instead of just part of it?

“I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time,” Larson said. “It wasn’t made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of colour, biracial women, to teen women of colour.”

Why not use the actual quote, instead of just part of it?

“I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time,” Larson said. “It wasn’t made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of colour, biracial women, to teen women of colour.”
That's even worse. Did you not read this?

Besides, entertainment is supposed to be for EVERYONE; a white guy can listen to NWA, American Indians can watch Bollywood films, Satanists can watch "Left Behind", etc.  Anyone can watch a Marvel movie and be entertained. 

There; I put it in a quote box so you can read it this time.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Weird, you were being called out for sexist comments in the Netflix thread only a couple weeks ago. So you're either a troll or a seriously misguided person with a selective memory. 
This has nothing to do with her being a woman.  In fact, Joe's response in the Netflix thread got me thinking a lot about women that I've found funny over the years.  Mary Tyler Moore, LaWanda Page, Shirley Hemphill....the list went on and on.  In retrospect I was wrong to negatively group an entire gender with a negative statement.

Brie Larson would do well to learn that lesson herself.  It's her racist and sexist viewpoints that I have a problem with.  To bemoan the presence of an entire gender or an entire race is beyond reproach.  I guess it's ok when "your guys" do it.

Whotf cares what some actor/actress thinks?  Y’all are seriously mucking up this thread. 

I’m excited to see it with my 12 year old daughter.  That’s reason enough for me. 
First of all, your avatar wins the internet.  I had the pleasure of meeting The Snake at a barbecue once and the dude couldn't have been nicer.

Second, have fun and enjoy yourself.  I hope it's a fantastic movie and a great experience for you and the little one.

That's even worse. Did you not read this?

There; I put it in a quote box so you can read it this time.
Yeah, I read it.  I just don't care.  

If there was a 40 year old white music critic in 1988 that said that NWA were a bunch of untalented hacks and Dr. Dre said, "we don't care what some 40 year old white guy says, we're trying to connect with young black men"  I wouldn't have a problem with that, either.   Sure, I can enjoy their music.  But that doesn't mean that they need to care about what my opinions are about why it works or not.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I read it.  I just don't care.  

If there was a 40 year old white music critic in 1998 that said that NWA were a bunch of untalented hacks and Dr. Dre said, "we don't care what some 40 year old white guy says, we're trying to connect with young black men"  I wouldn't have a problem with that, either.   Sure, I can enjoy their music.  But that doesn't mean that they need to care about what my opinions are about why it works or not.  
Dr Dre wasn't selling a product to 40 year old white men though. Brie has a really big product coming out and part of her target audience is in that group she singled out. Probably why Disney has dialed her back on speaking her mind since then. This is a business.

Dr Dre wasn't selling a product to 40 year old white men though. Brie has a really big product coming out and part of her target audience is in that group she singled out. Probably why Disney has dialed her back on speaking her mind since then. This is a business.
The comment was about wrinkle in time, which was a movie for kids.   It wasn't for 40 year old white men either.  That was her point.  Servo thinks it's racist, and pointed to white men being able to like NWA as his example.   

NWA wouldn't care what a 40 year old white reviewer had to say either.   In both cases, it's not the audience.

I've engaged in this enough in this thread.  I'm done with this topic.   Excelsior.

The comment was about wrinkle in time, which was a movie for kids.   It wasn't for 40 year old white men either.  That was her point.  Servo thinks it's racist, and pointed to white men being able to like NWA as his example.   

NWA wouldn't care what a 40 year old white reviewer had to say either.   In both cases, it's not the audience.
So, by that logic The Lego Movie is for kids and not for white men? That's your problem; you seem to think entertainment is only to be enjoyed by some and not others.

NWA wouldn't care about white dudes, but they also will take their money every darn day of the week.  This, as opposed to Brie Larson, who sees white men as not being worthy of a Marvel movie...which is. Their. Target. Market.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy the movie.

Insein said:
Nobody down voted the movie. They said not interested.
Is there a difference? My guess is if the button said "#### that ####!" it would lead to the same outcomes.

That's not remotely what she said. 
Here's the whole quote so we can stop paraphrasing. This was at a Marvel event. That's why they get associated. 

ETA: The quote feature is bugged.  The quote stops after the 2nd paragraph. 

I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn’t made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of color, biracial women, to teen women of color.

Am I saying I hate white dudes? No, I am not. What I am saying is if you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance a woman of color will have a chance to see your movie, and review your movie.
Not really that big a deal but also something that could have been said better. It's easy to see how some people would be turned off by this and might not want to watch the movie. 

Here's the whole quote so we can stop paraphrasing. This was at a Marvel event. That's why they get associated. 

ETA: The quote feature is bugged.  The quote stops after the 2nd paragraph. 
“Am I saying I hate white dudes? No, I’m not, but what I am saying is that if you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance that a woman of color will have a chance to see your movie and review your movie.”

“We need to be conscious of our bias and do our part to ensure that everyone is in the room.”

“It really sucks that reviews matter, but reviews matter. Good reviews out of festivals give small, independent films a fighting chance to be bought and seen, good reviews help films gross money, good reviews slingshot films into awards contenders, a good review can change your life — it changed mine.”

“Our industry has gone through a major growth. We are expanding to make films that better reflect the people who buy tickets. But they are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse about these films, by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘A Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.”

“Am I saying I hate white dudes? No, I’m not, but what I am saying is that if you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance that a woman of color will have a chance to see your movie and review your movie.”

“We need to be conscious of our bias and do our part to ensure that everyone is in the room.”

“It really sucks that reviews matter, but reviews matter. Good reviews out of festivals give small, independent films a fighting chance to be bought and seen, good reviews help films gross money, good reviews slingshot films into awards contenders, a good review can change your life — it changed mine.”

“Our industry has gone through a major growth. We are expanding to make films that better reflect the people who buy tickets. But they are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse about these films, by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘A Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.”
Where is the racist/sexist part? Did you forget to quote that?

If Brie Larson dismissed the opinions of black male critics of "Room" because the movie wasn't made for "them", it would be clearer to you.
That didn't happen either. She didn't dismiss their opinions she lamented the fact that different voices aren't likely to be heard as well.

I really think you are blowing this way out of proportion.

That didn't happen either. She didn't dismiss their opinions she lamented the fact that different voices aren't likely to be heard as well.

Jesus, spit the hook out.  He doesn’t even need  it.

He's purposely twisting it out of proportion. He's trolling. 

Users who are viewing this thread