What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (8 Viewers)

I can top this AND make you jealous 

Tonight: draft party, pizza, beers, etc 

Tomorrow: Avengers

Saturday: Magic Kingdom for a birthday then either Cape May or Ohana for dinner :pickle:  

Sunday: GoT party 
Since we are sharing epic weekends, and mine starts tonight. 

Thursday Night: Blues second round playoff game against the Stars (on television, not attending)

Friday Night: Carbonaro Effect Live with the fam

Saturday Morning: Golf with my oldest

Saturday Afternoon: Cirque du Soleil with the fam

Saturday Night: Aziz Ansari with my wife

Sunday Morning: End Game with my boys

Sunday Afternoon: Golf with my second oldest

Sunday Night: GoT with just myself and a cocktail

Did I mention I work from home Monday and Tuesday? So yeah, this is like a six day party!

I'm taking my nephew tonight at 7.  Plenty of tickets left for pretty much all showings.  I guess it's not that big of a deal around here. :shrug:
Down here on the South Shore ... there are tickets available to non-premium times (e.g. Sunday morning), but no more prime seats. Gotta sit way up close to the screen, or way off to one side. And, you'll likely have to sit by yourself -- try getting four seats together at the AMC Palace 20 in Harahan for any showing this weekend.

Consider also that almost all theaters locally have wiped all other movies off their marquee AND added as many pre-9 a.m. shows as possible. The local AMC theaters will essentially be open something like 20 hours a day showing nothing but Endgame.

I can top this AND make you jealous 

Tonight: draft party, pizza, beers, etc 

Tomorrow: Avengers

Saturday: Magic Kingdom for a birthday then either Cape May or Ohana for dinner :pickle:  

Sunday: GoT party 
Take out the Disney, add D&D 3 times between yesterday through Monday and include going downtown for the lottery picks this evening before Endgame 10:30 pm showing.

I will sleep like the dead tomorrow and Tuesday and like it.

I was looking at an article that showed what stars had been offered Marvel parts and turned them down. Can you imagine how the Marvel movies would have been different if Tom Cruise had taken the Tony Stark part? Robert Downey has a snarkiness that Cruise never could have pulled off.

I was looking at an article that showed what stars had been offered Marvel parts and turned them down. Can you imagine how the Marvel movies would have been different if Tom Cruise had taken the Tony Stark part? Robert Downey has a snarkiness that Cruise never could have pulled off.
I always thought he would have made a terrific Bruce Banner / Hulk.  He can do the low key / anger bubbling beneath the surface thing well.  

My brain wants to believe he could have pulled off Captain America, but my brain is dumb sometimes.  Would have made an interesting Civil War with Downey and Cruise facing off.

Depending on which direction the MCU goes post-Endgame, he could slide into that latter-years Cyclops role (post-break with Dr. X)

The movie I really want is the Downey Jr. character from Tropic Thunder playing Black Panther.

Down here on the South Shore ... there are tickets available to non-premium times (e.g. Sunday morning), but no more prime seats. Gotta sit way up close to the screen, or way off to one side. And, you'll likely have to sit by yourself -- try getting four seats together at the AMC Palace 20 in Harahan for any showing this weekend.

Consider also that almost all theaters locally have wiped all other movies off their marquee AND added as many pre-9 a.m. shows as possible. The local AMC theaters will essentially be open something like 20 hours a day showing nothing but Endgame.
It really is insane.   I'm looking forward to seeing it, but if not for my nephew, I'd probably have waited until it came out on video.  I kind of feel like I should have seen captain marvel first, but what are you gonna do?  

My nephew is completely freaking out about it.  He's upset that I got tickets to the 7:15 instead of 7:00 showing.  I'm glad I get to take him.

Just bought tickets for tomorrow at 5:15. Seems like there's a lot available. Taking my son. Daughter not interested. She'll watch when it comes out for home so she can lay on the floor with a comfy blanket and the bathroom is right there.

Just bought tickets for tomorrow at 5:15. Seems like there's a lot available. Taking my son. Daughter not interested. She'll watch when it comes out for home so she can lay on the floor with a comfy blanket and the bathroom is right there.
Our theaters added a lot of showings over the last two weeks to push past the initial saturation point. Might be similar where you are.

@psychobillies, I looked at the Regal theater by you -- they're only showing Endgame on six screens (out of 20, I think?) and they don't have assigned seats, leather recliners, etc. I wonder if folks in your neck of the woods are crossing the lake to catch it at the updated theaters down here.

I didn't check the Movie Tavern by you ... that one is assigned seating, right?

Our theaters added a lot of showings over the last two weeks to push past the initial saturation point. Might be similar where you are.

@psychobillies, I looked at the Regal theater by you -- they're only showing Endgame on six screens (out of 20, I think?) and they don't have assigned seats, leather recliners, etc. I wonder if folks in your neck of the woods are crossing the lake to catch it at the updated theaters down here.

I didn't check the Movie Tavern by you ... that one is assigned seating, right?
Movie tavern is assigned seats, but the regal is right next to my brothers house so we came here.  Maybe people are crossing the lake, but that just makes a 3 hour movie a minimum 5 hour event.   That's crazy.

I'm sitting here now wondering if this theater is even going to fill up.

MY SPOILER FREE LEGIT THOUGHTS

It is definitely amazing and a remarkable job wrapping up this story arc. 

However I am not ready to call it the best MCU film just yet. There is a ton to process.

The problem with having such a large ensemble cast is that, even with a 3 hour runtime there simply isn't enough screen time to go around. Lots of popular characters get maybe a line or two and  that's it.  So, despite all the awesomeness I felt a bit short changed at times.

There are a couple dangling threads left that I imagine will come back in future films (one in particular).  And there is one HUGE surprise that I, in no way even remotely saw coming (well there are more than one but one sticks out for me). Would have been one of the very last predictions I would have made.

I agree that they handled Captain Marvel well and I did really enjoy her standalone film but...she's just overpowered. Thankfully they don't over use that in this film but it's just obvious how powerful she is. I don't know who they can line up as future villains for her. OTOH the "Girl Power" moment, and there absolutely is one, was one of the legit highlights of the film. And it just kept getting better as it developed.

I love post-Ragnarok Thor but...I'm not sure I loved how he was handled in this film. He was awesome but...well I won't talk about it in here yet except to say that IMO they may have gone too far in the direction they chose. I could say the same for Hulk but he had more nuance IMO.

It definitely lives up to the hype. I can't remember the last time I was in a theater where people so openly and emotionally cheered, and wept, (like a dude behind me was practically bawling...not gonna say if it was joy or sorrow because this film has both). It's a remarkable achievement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worst post-credits scene ever
Yeah, FTR there is no post credit scene. There is a brief, very, very brief...sound at the very end of the credits. I have no idea what it means and I doubt even the deepest divers come up with a credible explanation.

IOW you do not need to sit through the credits.

HERE BE DRAGONS (seriously there are spoilers below. NOT JOKING)

Okay Black Widow's death blew my mind. We knew either her or Hawkeye would have to die when they got sent to Vorimir but it was still deeply shocking/troubling.

Vision is dead. That's it...wow. When Thor's hammer moved I thought it was gonna be Vision showing up but of course he couldn't because the Mind Stone was in the gauntlet. 

That Cap got the Hammer was maybe the pinnacle of the film. The audience, all of us, lost our minds when that happened.

Speaking of Vision, Scarlett Witch dismantling Thanos was up there as top moment of the film. That was straight up bad ##$.

I would say Loki is dead too but you don't gift him The Tesseract and just let it go for the rest of the film by accident. He'll be back.

Wanted to see Hulk smash in the final battle, I think he belonged with Thor, Cap and Iron Man going toe-to-toe with Thanos. No...he deserved to stand with them. That felt like a misstep regardless his bum arm.

I can watch this movie any time I want, as many times as I want. I'll let the crowds hammer it through Saturday then go see it Sunday. I drove by a local small theater today 1hr before showtime and there was a line of 100 people already formed up. This movie will set the all time box.

I can watch this movie any time I want, as many times as I want. I'll let the crowds hammer it through Saturday then go see it Sunday. I drove by a local small theater today 1hr before showtime and there was a line of 100 people already formed up. This movie will set the all time box.
For every other movie I have seen over the past... honestly since Star Wars is the only one that feels comparable, I would agree but for this one I think the audience enhanced my experience. It was a communal experience, 300+ people literally gasping in unison or exploding with applause just enhanced the entire experience. 

I hate people. If I had friends they'd tell you the same. Keep th away from me. Seriously. But the crowd made this one better. I honestly think it was cathartic for all of us.

Aaaaaannnnndddd I'm out till next week. Enjoy the discussion, gents. I hope it's as good as the few reviews I saw in here say it is. 

wonderful movie. I like what @Chaka had to say, above.  And totally agree with one thing in particular.  But not quoting because I thought it bordered on being too spoilery. 

Managed to avoid every trailer, commercial and article after the first trailer.  Loved the movie. I loved Infinity War, saw it 3 times, but Casablanca remained my favorite movie of all-time.

Not anymore. 

Saw it in 3D. I don't know that the 3D in it made a lot of difference though, it didn't have a lot of those stunning-for-3D shots.  Seeing it again today, going normal RPX this time.

I'm sitting here now wondering if this theater is even going to fill up.
@psychobillies, did the theater fill up? I had seen that the first evening show at your Regal (6:40, I think?) was sold out when I looked earlier in the afternoon. But there were five other screens showing Endgame at your Regal last night, and a lot more Thursday evening showings that still weren't showing as "sold out" as of ~1:30 p.m. yesterday. I don't know if they were 90% full with just a few singles scattered up close, or if they were like 50% full with still a few four-in-a-rows available.

Didn't realize theaters did this, even for huge releases: our biggest local theater complex is devoting 19 of 20 screens to Endgame this weekend. Come Monday, April 29th ... all 20 screens will be showing Endgame. Probably just until Friday, May 3rd, but still.

Do other huge blockbusters take over theaters in this way? If so, I'd never noticed.

Is Avatar's ten-year-old gross sales record finally in serious jeopardy?
Just checked some of our other local cineplexes. Some are showing ONLY Endgame this weekend. Many are all Endgame except for throwing a bone to the toddler set with a single Saturday morning showing of Missing Link.

I bet the producers of Shazam! wish they could've somehow released their film with a little more temporal distance from Captain Marvel and Endgame. Shazam! is up over $320 million, but getting yanked out of theaters in it's fourth weekend is going to hurt.
OK ... it looks like our local AMCs slightly "overbooked" Endgame screens ... sold as many tickets as they could over this weekend, and then "sold" a few screens formerly listed for Endgame back to Shazam! and Curse of La Llorona.

Still ... the 20-plex has 18 screens for Endgame, the 16-plex has 14. The kiddie movie Missing Link, meanwhile, was yanked altogether from their single Saturday matinee showing. Didn't think theaters made screen-assignment changes this late in the game, but I guess they do.

@psychobillies, did the theater fill up? I had seen that the first evening show at your Regal (6:40, I think?) was sold out when I looked earlier in the afternoon. But there were five other screens showing Endgame at your Regal last night, and a lot more Thursday evening showings that still weren't showing as "sold out" as of ~1:30 p.m. yesterday. I don't know if they were 90% full with just a few singles scattered up close, or if they were like 50% full with still a few four-in-a-rows available.
I think it did sell out.  Seemed full anyway.  I saw the 7:15 and based on the lines I would guess the 7:00 and 7:30 or whatever probably sold out too.   I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.  It really was well done, and it's impressive that they were able to do so much in 3 hours without it feeling rushed.  

Regarding the end:

During Tony's memorial the camera pans over the people there Avengers, Spidey & Aunt May, Guardians etc. There is a gangly kid/teen in a suit behind the Guardians. Never seen him before but the camera definitely lingered in him for a beat.

My niece says she checked the cast list and it's apparently the kid from IM2 who almost got blasted by one of the drones because he was wearing an IM mask, then IM saves him. IM3, which makes more sense.  But still...

So why is that kid at the memorial getting equal screen time despite never having a single line in any film or ever being mentioned at any time?Gotta be foreshadowing something, right?

Users who are viewing this thread