What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (8 Viewers)

seemed like a good place for this, but i watched New Mutants last night on HBOMax. was pretty good, enjoyed the storyline so far, but saw online that it has horrible reviews. Not sure why the movie got so bad of reviews, thought it was good introduction to some of those characters and should be fun to see how it evolves as the Marvel universe seems to be a priority for new shows and movies. 
Will this roll into the MCU?  I thought this was one of the last mutant movies to be released by Fox.  It wasn't bad, but I considered it more of a one-off.  I could be wrong.

seemed like a good place for this, but i watched New Mutants last night on HBOMax. was pretty good, enjoyed the storyline so far, but saw online that it has horrible reviews. Not sure why the movie got so bad of reviews, thought it was good introduction to some of those characters and should be fun to see how it evolves as the Marvel universe seems to be a priority for new shows and movies. 
The New Mutants was an abomination.  Everyone disavowed it and it will not be considered for inclusion in the MCU.

Disagree. If you get rid of half all living things you are also getting rid of resources like animals we eat, trees etc.  There really wouldn't be a net gain. 
In Endgame, Black Widow said something to the extent of "there have been dolphins/whales seen in the East River" and Cap was like "Don't even think about it".  

I kind of took that as them saying Thanos wasn't wrong.  He might not have been right or moral....but his logic wasn't unsound.  

In Endgame, Black Widow said something to the extent of "there have been dolphins/whales seen in the East River" and Cap was like "Don't even think about it".  

I kind of took that as them saying Thanos wasn't wrong.  He might not have been right or moral....but his logic wasn't unsound.  
Those were probably bloated corpses deposited by the mob. Which doesn't exist. 

Disagree. If you get rid of half all living things you are also getting rid of resources like animals we eat, trees etc.  There really wouldn't be a net gain. 
meh.  one year of covid and we've seen the earth rebound in places.  eliminating half of humanity, would have to be a good thing for the planet.  thanos talks about planets, being unable to sustain the current populations.   :shrug:  

Cap tells her he saw a pod of whales in the river when he came over the bridge.  She sarcastically says "In the hudson?" and Cap acknowledges less boats, cleaner water.... 

meh.  one year of covid and we've seen the earth rebound in places.  eliminating half of humanity, would have to be a good thing for the planet.  thanos talks about planets, being unable to sustain the current populations.   :shrug:  
Was thinking along the same lines as this, esp with Thunderlips comments about that conversation.

Nature comes back fast.  But the flip side is how long until the universe is right there in the same problem again?

I think that's what makes Marvel (as much as I'm a Batman guy) head and shoulders above DC.  They have relatable heroes and (IMO..just as important)....villians that aren't exactly wrong.  Zemo, Killmonger, Thanos, Hera, Vulture from SpiderMan.....they all kind of had a point.  

I think that's what makes Marvel (as much as I'm a Batman guy) head and shoulders above DC.  They have relatable heroes and (IMO..just as important)....villians that aren't exactly wrong.  Zemo, Killmonger, Thanos, Hera, Vulture from SpiderMan.....they all kind of had a point.  
"Just bury me in the ocean with my ancestors that jumped from the ships because they knew death was better than bondage."

One of the greatest lines spoken in the entire MCU.

The New Mutants was an abomination.  Everyone disavowed it and it will not be considered for inclusion in the MCU.
It wasn't nearly as bad as Dark Phoenix.   I liked it better than Apocalypse too.
Well I agree with your assessment :)  All 3 to me were bad.

For the record, I loved XMen First Class and Days of Future Past, but everything after that was just terrible.  Well I shouldn't say everything, but the 2 official follow-ups you mentioned and New Mutants.  I loved Logan and the Deadpools, and I thought The Wolverine was pretty good.

"Just bury me in the ocean with my ancestors that jumped from the ships because they knew death was better than bondage."

One of the greatest lines spoken in the entire MCU.
Killmonger owned that movie.  Chadwick of course was tremendous in his role, but it was amazing the performance that MBJ gave. It's really a shame that he died in the first movie or there would have been a real push I think to allow Killmonger to claim the throne in Black Panther 2. Although Shuri has been BP in the comics, I don't feel the groundswell of support to make her BP.  Jordan was so good I think people would rush for it.

To Thunderlips point (although I can't really get onboard with Thanos, I guess genocide is where I draw the line), instead of being cartoony villains like in DC, the bad guys have depth in the MCU.

Nice. I didn’t realize it was on HBOMax. I have that through AT&T for free and so far the straight to streaming movies have been very meh.

He didn't say he was getting rid of half all sentient beings ruining their planets though, he said half of all life.  It always seemed like a big plot hole to me not that I really cared.

He didn't say he was getting rid of half all sentient beings ruining their planets though, he said half of all life.  It always seemed like a big plot hole to me not that I really cared.
Kevin Feige confirmed that it was half of all life, but that really doesn't make sense and it's not what happened in the comics.  I guess once you kill off half of sentient life you ease the pressure on the remaining resources which will reproduce faster than humans, but that's pretty dumb.  

Nice. I didn’t realize it was on HBOMax. I have that through AT&T for free and so far the straight to streaming movies have been very meh.
Welp, it was pretty mediocre. Definitely not close to a decent Marvel movie. Wouldn’t say it was unwatchable, but it was obvious what happened from the start and what was happening. It just wasn’t good and I’m not sure if it will have any impact on future shows.

Also, hard to label it as horror as much as they were going for that genre. I won’t say why but there is usually something that happens a lot in horror movies.

I still don't really even understand the Flag Smasher agenda.
I kinda do (I think) and it's an interesting philosophical question - I know the internet has been full of people defending the "Thanos was right," theory but we are past that now in this universe because everyone is back.

And the question is, now what?  They've either said or strongly hinted that for those 5 years the world was almost united somehow.  Borders and those differences were gone and people lived together somehow better in the midst of the loss.  OVer 5 years people have moved on and adapted.  There were certainly people that got remarried or had kids or more and then..... everyone is back? We get so caught up in making everything right from what Thanos did that there was never any talk of the consequences of bringing back 3.5 billion people who came back at the same point from where they left while everyone else had moved on somehow, for better or worse.

They don't have enough episodes in this to really dive into that so they are using these guys as that part of the story. I mean, just think it through like this - we get caught up in our country with tens to hundreds of thousands of people crossing our border every year.  The world just got 3.5 people bigger instantly with nothing in place to deal with it.  The Avengers didn't ask permission or spend any time putting in place systems to handle it, they just did it.  

I kinda do (I think) and it's an interesting philosophical question - I know the internet has been full of people defending the "Thanos was right," theory but we are past that now in this universe because everyone is back.

And the question is, now what?  They've either said or strongly hinted that for those 5 years the world was almost united somehow.  Borders and those differences were gone and people lived together somehow better in the midst of the loss.  OVer 5 years people have moved on and adapted.  There were certainly people that got remarried or had kids or more and then..... everyone is back? We get so caught up in making everything right from what Thanos did that there was never any talk of the consequences of bringing back 3.5 billion people who came back at the same point from where they left while everyone else had moved on somehow, for better or worse.

They don't have enough episodes in this to really dive into that so they are using these guys as that part of the story. I mean, just think it through like this - we get caught up in our country with tens to hundreds of thousands of people crossing our border every year.  The world just got 3.5 people bigger instantly with nothing in place to deal with it.  The Avengers didn't ask permission or spend any time putting in place systems to handle it, they just did it.  
Oh, I think it is a fascinating point.  They just don't really explain it at all.

Wish they would cut the cursing... it's always forced and means my 10 year old can't watch.
10 year old can't watch curse words?
I'm with @rascal here

I have an almost 10 year old, and an almost 8 year old. While it's not the end of the world if they hear some cursing, it really isn't necessary for a show like this

My kids haven't watched a PG-13 flick yet, so maybe rascal and I are in the minority

Not a parent, so my opinion is irrelevant.  But I'm curious why cursing is a problem but some dude getting bludgeoned to death with a shield is ok.

Never understood that
Because that's the way Americans were raised IMO. I'm a parent and didn't care about my kids seeing Trading Places, for example. Some cussing and boobs. Big deal. My wife didn't like it and had to remind her how many times her boys saw her completely naked getting out of the shower or whatever.  

To each their own though. 

Because that's the way Americans were raised IMO. I'm a parent and didn't care about my kids seeing Trading Places, for example. Some cussing and boobs. Big deal. My wife didn't like it and had to remind her how many times her boys saw her completely naked getting out of the shower or whatever.  

To each their own though. 
My dad always joked that according to the rating system, a kid couldn't watch someone touch a naked breast, but they could see it get cut off with a chainsaw...

My daughter now just either echo's Steve Rodgers in AoU and says "Language" or Maria Hill with "He said a bad language word".  She's heard them all and knows they are not appropriate for her to say, yet.  For this ep, she didn't really care for the shield bludgoning scene, probably didn't notice much of the langage overall. The cursing in the MCU is pretty mild overall IMO. But not jusding anyone who keeps their kids from it.  She has been shielded from watching nudity, sex or more graphic violence.  

Last edited by a moderator:

I’m not sure if you have it completely right. I don’t think the problem is as much for the people who came back. Yes, some of them lost their marriages, etc. but that GRC or whatever that acronym was put together to help the people who came back. I think the flagsmashers are upset about the people who were displaced but never left. The world got better and more open but the richer countries kicked them to the curb when their 50% came back and there’s no GRC helping people who never left.

I could be wrong but I think you were saying that it was the people who came back with the issues. I think they’ve said that it was people who’s lives were better got the rug pulled out from underneath them and the only help being given out us to the returned. 

Kevin Feige confirmed that it was half of all life, but that really doesn't make sense and it's not what happened in the comics.  I guess once you kill off half of sentient life you ease the pressure on the remaining resources which will reproduce faster than humans, but that's pretty dumb.  
You're right, I found the tweet although he qualified it with a "probably trees" statement.  Agree that is dumb, we saw no shots in the movie of trees or any other plant life dusting away.  I don't like that at all.

Not a parent, so my opinion is irrelevant.  But I'm curious why cursing is a problem but some dude getting bludgeoned to death with a shield is ok.

Never understood that
I think it boils down to how likely a child is to repeat something that is observed.  They are already inundated with language in a peer setting, but the language magically clears up with peers when a teacher is around. Watching something with harsh language with your parents almost seems like tacit approval.  Watching something like Looney Toons (which is really pretty violent) was never an issue because it was not something a child would repeat (by and large, I'm sure there are studies that claim a child was just repeating an action from Wile E. Coyote).

When my kids were of that age (they are both now in college so I hope that makes you feel as old as I do TLEF), we would let them watch the Marvel movies because the typical Marvel violence wasn't that bad. When Daredevil came out, I had to watch every episode before I decided to let my oldest watch, and there were several where I thought "That violence feels too real" and had him skip it. If I was pre-watching this series, he could have watched up to the end and I would have paused it and said "He killed the bad guy." The shield bash was a pretty graphic scene for a Marvel movie.

I know people have different views on it with most people in the world saying it's no big deal. To show how desensitized I've become to it, I haven't noticed an excessive amount in this series, which probably doesn't speak well for me :)  Just my perspective.

I think it boils down to how likely a child is to repeat something that is observed.  They are already inundated with language in a peer setting, but the language magically clears up with peers when a teacher is around. Watching something with harsh language with your parents almost seems like tacit approval.  Watching something like Looney Toons (which is really pretty violent) was never an issue because it was not something a child would repeat (by and large, I'm sure there are studies that claim a child was just repeating an action from Wile E. Coyote).

When my kids were of that age (they are both now in college so I hope that makes you feel as old as I do TLEF), we would let them watch the Marvel movies because the typical Marvel violence wasn't that bad. When Daredevil came out, I had to watch every episode before I decided to let my oldest watch, and there were several where I thought "That violence feels too real" and had him skip it. If I was pre-watching this series, he could have watched up to the end and I would have paused it and said "He killed the bad guy." The shield bash was a pretty graphic scene for a Marvel movie.

I know people have different views on it with most people in the world saying it's no big deal. To show how desensitized I've become to it, I haven't noticed an excessive amount in this series, which probably doesn't speak well for me :)  Just my perspective.

To be fair, your kids probably heard more bad language from you during the Battlefield 2 days than they'll ever hear in any movies.....

We give too much worry to words (They're just words) and not enough to violent images.

USA! USA! USA!

I’m not sure if you have it completely right. I don’t think the problem is as much for the people who came back. Yes, some of them lost their marriages, etc. but that GRC or whatever that acronym was put together to help the people who came back. I think the flagsmashers are upset about the people who were displaced but never left. The world got better and more open but the richer countries kicked them to the curb when their 50% came back and there’s no GRC helping people who never left.

I could be wrong but I think you were saying that it was the people who came back with the issues. I think they’ve said that it was people who’s lives were better got the rug pulled out from underneath them and the only help being given out us to the returned. 
This is closer to where I’m at.  Without a doubt the balance of power would have shifted in the aftermath of the snap and certain people would have thrived in the chaos and advanced their standing in life, while others would have fallen into despair.

So while I’m sure things were better pre-Blip for people who ended up joining the Flagsmashers, there’s no way things were better for everyone.  That’s what makes them interesting - they’re not “villains” per se, just a certain political ideology.

Last edited by a moderator:

Never understood that
Kids repeat curse words.   They don't go around cutting people in half with vibranium shields.

Although after watching wrestling as a kid, my brother and I had some pretty epic matches diving off furniture and stuff.

With MCU movies, the death scenes are almost all implied violence.

The result is hinted at by showing a bloody shield, but you didn't see the shield make contact with the guy.  You see his bloody fingers and you see Walker swing the shield, but not wounds are shown and no gruesome details.

You want to see some violence and gore, watch the Punisher.  The scenes in the last 2 episodes of season 1 are absolutely disgusting, especially awful was the scene where they show Castle kill a guy by digging his thumbs into his eye sockets.

With MCU movies, the death scenes are almost all implied violence.

The result is hinted at by showing a bloody shield, but you didn't see the shield make contact with the guy.  You see his bloody fingers and you see Walker swing the shield, but not wounds are shown and no gruesome details.

You want to see some violence and gore, watch the Punisher.  The scenes in the last 2 episodes of season 1 are absolutely disgusting, especially awful was the scene where they show Castle kill a guy by digging his thumbs into his eye sockets.
The Punisher was an awesome show.

The Punisher was an awesome show.
Oh, I agree.

My point was that the "Americans condone violence but not nudity" is really a false narrative.  The PG-13 violence is largely either cartoonish or implied and never really explicit.  The sex allowed in PG-13 and the language allowed is consistent with that as well.  You can say 2-3 F words and multiple of the other vulgarities and still land a PG-13 rating.  You can show a buttocks or even a nude silhouette and clothed sex scenes in PG-13 as well.  The Matrix was rated R due to its violence and had no sex and very light language.  Same thing with the Passion of the Christ which had zero sex or language.

stbugs said:

This is closer to my understanding.  Most of the last episode took place at a GRC refugee camp.  They are essentially fighting for justice for the refugees who were displaced by the blip.  The Global Relocation Council is some sort of international body that is supposed to help these refugees, and the Flag Smashers are fighting for equal or better treatment of some sort.  That said, there was also a mention earlier in the season about them being against borders and such. Its vague and confusing.

I don't want to be the guy who comes in here and trashes the show most people are enjoying.  Its has had some pretty good super-hero action scenes.  The story is very weak imo. Neither the villains nor the heroes are compelling or even interesting characters to me. Perhaps its an unfair situation given the hard act this show has to follow.  I thought WandaVision had a great combination of a fantastic story, creative, brilliant writing, great acting (multiple great performances from week to week) and great characters.  The story kept me on the edge to the point where one day I was working from home on a Friday and could not resist watching the new episode when I had some free time before noon.  Falcon/Winter Soldier is a total head-scratcher to me - so many parts of the story, characters, etc. just make no sense to me.

This is closer to my understanding.  Most of the last episode took place at a GRC refugee camp.  They are essentially fighting for justice for the refugees who were displaced by the blip.  The Global Relocation Council is some sort of international body that is supposed to help these refugees, and the Flag Smashers are fighting for equal or better treatment of some sort.  That said, there was also a mention earlier in the season about them being against borders and such. Its vague and confusing.

I don't want to be the guy who comes in here and trashes the show most people are enjoying.  Its has had some pretty good super-hero action scenes.  The story is very weak imo. Neither the villains nor the heroes are compelling or even interesting characters to me. Perhaps its an unfair situation given the hard act this show has to follow.  I thought WandaVision had a great combination of a fantastic story, creative, brilliant writing, great acting (multiple great performances from week to week) and great characters.  The story kept me on the edge to the point where one day I was working from home on a Friday and could not resist watching the new episode when I had some free time before noon.  Falcon/Winter Soldier is a total head-scratcher to me - so many parts of the story, characters, etc. just make no sense to me.
I think this is a fair assessment.  I like the show more than you do but WandaVision I thought was on a different level. With WandaVision I had to watch it as soon as my son got home before anything got spoiled for me.  With Falcon and WS, we usually watch it over the weekend and don't really have to worry about spoilers.

I do think the show is good, as they show there isn't just one villain in the world to band against. Villains are all around in some aspect, some easy to see (when Flag Smashers blow up buildings) and some not as easy to see (systemic racism, the GRC as a shady organization, KMart Cap before the Shielding). I think the strengths of the show have been Zemo and Bucky. I thought Sam was at his best when he was talking with Karli.  KMart Cap has a very punchable face and Russell has done a good job with the role.  Lemar Battlestar Hoskins was very good as a counterweight to Cap.  I really like Carl Lumbly in the role of the original African American super solider and hope they explore him more in the last 2 episodes or in future roles. Karli doesn't have the gravitas of being a main villain IMO but she's done fine in the role.  Sharon Carter has been good.

Of the 3 shows they announced, this was the one I was looking forward to the least, so I'm pleased that is has been good.  I was very hyped for Wanda and surprisingly it lived up to expectation, and I'm very excited for Loki.

My understanding is that after the SNAP, borders were greatly relaxed (and practically eliminated) so that the people who were left could move to where they could find work - likely a large migration to developed countries where business/industry was suddenly missing half their workforce.

After the BLIP, all of those missing folks came back only to find "THEY TOOK AR JERBS!" (to quote South Park).  So now the GRC wants to move all those un-snapped workers back to where they were pre-SNAP so that the BLIP returnees can resume their lives.  

The flag smashers want to be able to stay in their new adopted countries and not be forced to "go back where they came from". 

Agreed

Its down there with some of the worst Marvel releases.

My understanding is that after the SNAP, borders were greatly relaxed (and practically eliminated) so that the people who were left could move to where they could find work - likely a large migration to developed countries where business/industry was suddenly missing half their workforce.

After the BLIP, all of those missing folks came back only to find "THEY TOOK AR JERBS!" (to quote South Park).  So now the GRC wants to move all those un-snapped workers back to where they were pre-SNAP so that the BLIP returnees can resume their lives.  

The flag smashers want to be able to stay in their new adopted countries and not be forced to "go back where they came from". 
I don't know that they're being deported, but the borders, boundaries and immigration issues are certainly being reinstated.  

I think this is a fair assessment.  I like the show more than you do but WandaVision I thought was on a different level. With WandaVision I had to watch it as soon as my son got home before anything got spoiled for me.  With Falcon and WS, we usually watch it over the weekend and don't really have to worry about spoilers.

I do think the show is good, as they show there isn't just one villain in the world to band against. Villains are all around in some aspect, some easy to see (when Flag Smashers blow up buildings) and some not as easy to see (systemic racism, the GRC as a shady organization, KMart Cap before the Shielding). I think the strengths of the show have been Zemo and Bucky. I thought Sam was at his best when he was talking with Karli.  KMart Cap has a very punchable face and Russell has done a good job with the role.  Lemar Battlestar Hoskins was very good as a counterweight to Cap.  I really like Carl Lumbly in the role of the original African American super solider and hope they explore him more in the last 2 episodes or in future roles. Karli doesn't have the gravitas of being a main villain IMO but she's done fine in the role.  Sharon Carter has been good.

Of the 3 shows they announced, this was the one I was looking forward to the least, so I'm pleased that is has been good.  I was very hyped for Wanda and surprisingly it lived up to expectation, and I'm very excited for Loki.
The only compelling character/actor in the whole show is Zemo.

Zemo so far has been an excellent villain, and the Power Broker hasn't been fully revealed.  I don't really see the argument that there isn't a compelling villain.   

Users who are viewing this thread