What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (10 Viewers)

IIRC they can't say he's a mutant in the show though. I know he's a mutant in the comics.
I thought Fox could, as they own the rights to the term "mutants", and the rights/likeness to all of Marvel's mutants (Xmen and villians)?

Unlike ABC who uses the term "inhuman", or their parent company who dismissed the idea of mutants altogether and made Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver "genetic test" monkeys.

I liked Cottonmouth and that whole side of it. They made Diamondback out to be some criminal genius/badass, but once he was revealed, he was anything BUT that. Really took away from an otherwise strong season imo. 
yep.  Diamondback was probably the most disappointing character in the MCU, so far. 

I thought Fox could, as they own the rights to the term "mutants", and the rights/likeness to all of Marvel's mutants (Xmen and villians)?

Unlike ABC who uses the term "inhuman", or their parent company who dismissed the idea of mutants altogether and made Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver "genetic test" monkeys.
you mean Disney?  Also parent company of Marvel? 

The whole Marvel/Fox debacle might just be the biggest blunder... well maybe not ever, but a big mistake. 

you mean Disney?  Also parent company of Marvel? 

The whole Marvel/Fox debacle might just be the biggest blunder... well maybe not ever, but a big mistake. 
Legion is being put out by the same company that does the X-Men movies, Fox (which is why it's on FX).  They can use "mutant" all they want.

From what I remember, Legion is the hugely powerful son of Professor X with multiple personality disorder, which is why he's called Legion.  Each of his personalities would have different powers, I think. I know that one of the stories that he was in had him going back in time to try and assassinate Magneto before he became really powerful, back when Magneto first met Charles. But he screwed up, killed Professor X instead, and spawned the Age of Apocalypse storyline.

Oh yeah, and he was frequently a bad guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Legion is being put out by the same company that does the X-Men movies, Fox (which is why it's on FX).  They can use "mutant" all they want.

From what I remember, Legion is the hugely powerful son of Professor X with multiple personality disorder, which is why he's called Legion.  Each of his personalities would have different powers, I think. I know that one of the stories that he was in had him going back in time to try and assassinate Magneto before he became really powerful, back when Magneto first met Charles. But he screwed up, killed Professor X instead, and spawned the Age of Apocalypse storyline.
gotcha.

the whole "son travels back in time, kills father" storyline is a reason I don't care about logic when watching these things. Just sit back and enjoy.  Not MCU, but if anyone is still watching the Flash, time is a  #####. 

Marvel posted a featurette on Facebook tonight about Infinity War. Interviews with the Russos, Downey, Pratt and Tom Holland among others. Not a surprise but confirming the Avengers will team up with the Guardians. Evans and Hemsworth are reportedly in Atlanta now too. 

I am confused by this comment.  

If you are talking about Agents of Shield, "Inhumans" was not a term made up by the TV show to replace the term "Mutants".  "Inhumans" go back in the comic world all the way to the mid 1960's.  The Agents of Shield show is loosely based on items from the Inhuman story line over the decades.

http://marvel.com/universe/Inhumans

Technically, in the comics, there is a difference between the Inhumans and mutants.  Inhumans are the results of Kree genetic experiments on prehistoric humans.  Mutants, on the other hand, are supposed to be the next human evolutionary step from Homo sapiens to Homo superior.

Mutants come into their powers naturally, usually when they go through puberty.  Inhumans have to go through terrigenesis by being exposed to terrigen mist in order to activate their powers.

Technically, in the comics, there is a difference between the Inhumans and mutants.  Inhumans are the results of Kree genetic experiments on prehistoric humans.  Mutants, on the other hand, are supposed to be the next human evolutionary step from Homo sapiens to Homo superior.

Mutants come into their powers naturally, usually when they go through puberty.  Inhumans have to go through terrigenesis by being exposed to terrigen mist in order to activate their powers.
So Deadpool is an INhuman?

Leeroy Jenkins said:
So Deadpool is an INhuman?
Deadpool is a mutate, which is a third thing.  He's a human who had a latent genetic potential for mutant powers that never would have surfaced if not for the procedures Ajax put him through.

The difference between mutates and Inhumans is that mutates aren't results of Kree genetic tampering and the terrigen mist would not change them; Inhumans can be changed only by the terrigen mist, and not processes that would activate mutate powers.

I am confused by this comment.  

If you are talking about Agents of Shield, "Inhumans" was not a term made up by the TV show to replace the term "Mutants".  "Inhumans" go back in the comic world all the way to the mid 1960's.  The Agents of Shield show is loosely based on items from the Inhuman story line over the decades.

http://marvel.com/universe/Inhumans
I get that - long time Marvel comics collector.  What I meant by that was the political decision of ABC/Disney to not recognize the term "mutant" and so they went with the "inhuman" route and the terrigen mist to create what would have been "mutants".   AOS is very loosely based, but thats mainly due to recent storylines over the last 5-8 years (House of M, No More Mutants, Secret War, Civil War, etc).  This was all done due to Fox owning the rights to "mutants" in the non-print media (TVs, movies).  To get around that, Marvel/Disney/ABC basically re-worked everything to put "non-mutants" in the spotlight, pushing the idea of inhumans.

Peak said:
I get that - long time Marvel comics collector.  What I meant by that was the political decision of ABC/Disney to not recognize the term "mutant" and so they went with the "inhuman" route and the terrigen mist to create what would have been "mutants".   AOS is very loosely based, but thats mainly due to recent storylines over the last 5-8 years (House of M, No More Mutants, Secret War, Civil War, etc).  This was all done due to Fox owning the rights to "mutants" in the non-print media (TVs, movies).  To get around that, Marvel/Disney/ABC basically re-worked everything to put "non-mutants" in the spotlight, pushing the idea of inhumans.
It's not a political decision, it's a legal one.  Fox owns the rights to Marvel's mutants, which Marvel sold to them back in the 90s when they were in dire financial trouble.  Since then Marvel has made a huge comeback and is now a lucrative part of the Disney family.  But Fox still owns the rights and keeps making X-Men movies so the rights won't go back to Marvel.

As long as Fox has those rights, the MCU cannot use mutant characters or even the word mutant.  The only exceptions so far have been Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch because they were Avengers.

Marvel also doesn't own the rights to Spider-Man, but they made a deal with Sony (who does) to allow him to be used in the MCU.  Fox doesn't seem to want to make a similar deal, rather they want to continue churning out more and more disappointing films.

It's not a political decision, it's a legal one.  Fox owns the rights to Marvel's mutants, which they sold to them back in the 90s when they were in dire financial trouble.  Since then they've made a huge comeback and are now a lucrative part of the Disney family.  But Fox still owns the rights and keeps making X-Men movies so the rights won't go back to Marvel.

As long as Fox has those rights, the MCU cannot use mutant characters or even the word mutant.  The only exceptions so far have been Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch because they were Avengers.

Marvel also doesn't own the rights to Spider-Man, but they made a deal with Sony (who does) to allow him to be used in the MCU.  Fox doesn't seem to want to make a similar deal, rather they want to continue churning out more and more disappointing films.
Neither is a mutant or inhuman in the MCU. Both got their powers thanks to Loki's staff. So that's how Marvel got the workaround there.

Neither is a mutant or inhuman in the MCU. Both got their powers thanks to Loki's staff. So that's how Marvel got the workaround there.
Yes, that and they called them Wanda and Pietro Maximoff rather than Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver because Fox owns the rights to the code names.

Loved Dr Strange. 
:yes: took my 14yo to the cheap theater yesterday, we both enjoyed Dr. Strange as much as any marvel movie other than guardians  (which is both of our favorite movie).  Had to get past the ancient one being way too white, but Tilda did a good job.  Love Regina George err, Rachel McAdams. :wub:

Didn't realize it was coming. Good looking out
Early reviews are really bad but I'm still gonna watch.

I'd be interested to find out if the people ripping it liked Luke Cage which I thought was really overrated (and I'm a big Luke Cage fan).

Early reviews are really bad but I'm still gonna watch.

I'd be interested to find out if the people ripping it liked Luke Cage which I thought was really overrated (and I'm a big Luke Cage fan).
Heard the same and a lot of it centers around the lead actor being bad.  

I liked the middle eps of Luke Cage, 4-10 or so.  Will watch Iron Fist and even if it is crap will watch all of it to get ready for the Defenders.

Heard the same and a lot of it centers around the lead actor being bad.  

I liked the middle eps of Luke Cage, 4-10 or so.  Will watch Iron Fist and even if it is crap will watch all of it to get ready for the Defenders.
Yeah I thought the first half of Cage was good. Second half dragged. 

Same here. Cage was good and I really like the character but the story and villains weren't great. I'll watch IF just to setup the Defenders. 
3 episodes into Iron Fist. Pretty underwhelming. Fight scenes look amateurish, primary antagonists are uninteresting. Not sure Finn Jones is a strong actor to carry a show. I'll keep watching. Maybe it'll be the reverse of Cage with a better second half than first. 

3 episodes into Iron Fist. Pretty underwhelming. Fight scenes look amateurish, primary antagonists are uninteresting. Not sure Finn Jones is a strong actor to carry a show. I'll keep watching. Maybe it'll be the reverse of Cage with a better second half than first. 
@packersfan there's a thread for iron fist

At some point the original Avengers will move on. Still will suck bigtime to lose Chris Evans. Cap films have gotten to be damn good.  
I understand wanting to do something  different but it's not like he has anything else going.  Milk CPT America for all you can.  He's 35 years old.  Direct later.  Seems like a dumb move

I understand wanting to do something  different but it's not like he has anything else going.  Milk CPT America for all you can.  He's 35 years old.  Direct later.  Seems like a dumb move
I'd keep doing them too. Guaranteed money and he's said he loves the role. But you know how actors get. Sean Connery walked away from Bond once. 

Question for the comic readers.  How powerful is Iron Fist generally?  Would he get slotted around a Black Widow or Hawkeye level?  Or would he be up around Captain America or Black Panther somewhere?

And it being comics I assume Luke Cage and Iron Fist have fought each other a couple of times? Which of them wins if they have?

Heard the dude who plays CPT America is thinking of hanging it up to direct.  
It's been reported multiple times over the last few years that he wants to hang them up when his contract is up but Evan's has always come out and debunked it. He did that a few days ago when this started circling again basically saying he'd love to keep playing the part but it's up to Marvel if they want to renew his contract after Infinity War Part 2. The same thing was going on when Downey's contract was running out a few years ago.

My guess is these actors just don't love constantly churning these pictures out with little time for anything else. Especially for a guy like Evans who has to be in peak physical shape for his role. Downey just has to put on a cgi suit.

Heard the dude who plays CPT America is thinking of hanging it up to direct.  
It's been reported multiple times over the last few years that he wants to hang them up when his contract is up but Evan's has always come out and debunked it. He did that a few days ago when this started circling again basically saying he'd love to keep playing the part but it's up to Marvel if they want to renew his contract after Infinity War Part 2. The same thing was going on when Downey's contract was running out a few years ago.

My guess is these actors just don't love constantly churning these pictures out with little time for anything else. Especially for a guy like Evans who has to be in peak physical shape for his role. Downey just has to put on a cgi suit.
From this article, he says it's not up to him.

Are you really going to be done playing Captain America, after the next two Avengers movies?

“It’s really not up to me. My contract is up. I’m not going to sit here and say, “No more.” I think Hugh Jackman has made 47 Wolverine movies, and they somehow keep getting better. It’s a character I love, and it’s a factory that really knows what they’re doing. The system is sound, over there. They make great movies. If they weren’t kicking out quality, I’d have a different opinion. But, everything Marvel does seems to be cinema gold. And like I said, I love the character. The only reason it would end is ‘cause my contract is up. After Avengers 4, my contract is done. Talk to Marvel. If we engage further, I’d be open to it. I love the character. It’s almost like high school. You certainly always look to senior year, and then, all of a sudden, senior year happens and you’re like, “I don’t know if I’m ready to go.” It’s tough thinking about not playing the guy.”

Question for the comic readers.  How powerful is Iron Fist generally?  Would he get slotted around a Black Widow or Hawkeye level?  Or would he be up around Captain America or Black Panther somewhere?

And it being comics I assume Luke Cage and Iron Fist have fought each other a couple of times? Which of them wins if they have?
They were a team.  I used to collect "Power Man and Iron Fist" as a kid.  Still have some of the classics.  Luke Cage, as Power Man, had an AWESOME afro.

So I know it has it's own thread, but I absolutely loved the Legion series on FX. Listened to a few podcasts too and quite a few people are saying that it is probably the best comic book TV show ever (some disputes with the old X-men animated series or the Batman one). It was done well, and Legion is an interesting character, and thankfully FX seems behind letting the show do what it wants. I highly recommend for fans of comic book series to binge watch it (binge watch is good for fans who don't know much about Legion at all. Show doesn't reveal much about the character until halfway through the season so it can be frustrating being lost watching the show. but the payoff is there)

So I know it has it's own thread, but I absolutely loved the Legion series on FX. Listened to a few podcasts too and quite a few people are saying that it is probably the best comic book TV show ever (some disputes with the old X-men animated series or the Batman one). It was done well, and Legion is an interesting character, and thankfully FX seems behind letting the show do what it wants. I highly recommend for fans of comic book series to binge watch it (binge watch is good for fans who don't know much about Legion at all. Show doesn't reveal much about the character until halfway through the season so it can be frustrating being lost watching the show. but the payoff is there)
Hey Mo, I just finished watching it last night.  Some of the parts of episodes were so smart and fun and funny (often with Oliver).  Occasionally I feel like it was trying to be too "meta" but may benefit from a rewatch as a binge.  What podcasts did you listen to about it and did they provide any insights into the show?

Hey Mo, I just finished watching it last night.  Some of the parts of episodes were so smart and fun and funny (often with Oliver).  Occasionally I feel like it was trying to be too "meta" but may benefit from a rewatch as a binge.  What podcasts did you listen to about it and did they provide any insights into the show?
i listen to baldmove.com. they give some insights, but the problem with the insights is that they didn't want to spoil the show for anybody. i grabbed it from itunes, so don't know how to link it here. But yeah, definitely worth catching again. I remember some of Legion appearances and i recently read a story arc with him where he woke up from a coma, and reading that story arc definitely explains a lot of what you see in the show (e.g. the chains he climbs up into the room, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread