What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (16 Viewers)

Why can Lord of the Rings go 3 hours but not Avengers?
Man, I don't know if it's age or what.. .but I really don't want to sit in the theater for 3+ hour movies anymore.. the Hobbit was about the end of that for me.

If it needs to be 3+ hours, consider making a TV show and going like 10-13 hours.

Question -

Which would you rather see

1. A Ruffalo Hulk solo film

2. A Black Widow solo film
A Planet/World War Hulk trilogy would be pretty sweet. Hulk really deserves a good movie now that Marvel has its act together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question -

A Planet/World War Hulk trilogy would be pretty sweet.
2 Hulk movies was plenty, but I don't want a widow film - she's in plenty of other stuff... no one needs that character fleshed out any further.

What I want is Moon Knight in a Netflix series fleshing out all the schizophrenia and everything... could be really violent and bizarre.

What I'll settle for a successful spider-man incorporation into the community. .

I've seen about half a season of Blacklist and didn't have any problem buying Spader's Ultron.
I didn't have a problem with Spader's voice as much as how Ultron was written. He was too human and comic, instead of arrogant and uber-intelligent.

*DISCLAIMER: this is my opinion only. You do not need to subscribe to my opinion if you are a drooling window-licker and/or have a small peemus. Feel free to think for yourself.
The comic part is valid, and clear pandering by the studio to the kids.

The human part is a valid, and rather critical flaw Ultron has and was necessary for the plot.
You don't need to pander to kids with the villain, if the villain is a robot.

Ultron's critical human flaw is hate, not quips. Loki, yes, he quips. Even Doom is known to fire a good snide one-liner. Ultron? He dismisses and hates while deluding himself that it's all logic.

But I recognize this is a comic reader grip. I still didn't like him so much though.
Likely comic book Ultron would be too scary for the young kids that parents would take to this movie. Real Ultron is like a cross between HAL from 2001/2010 and the Terminator.

Question -

I want a Hulk movie.

Looking at these lists, I guess I enjoyed the Hulk movies more than just about everybody. I think if they could get a mix of the two it would be good. Liked the story of the Ang Lee one and the look of the Norton one. Just a hard character to nail on screen.
I'd like a good Hulk movie since I found the first boring and ridiculous. The second was predictable. But I also haven't liked any of the solo Wolverine movies either.

With the Vision and Avengers, the next Hulk movie could follow the storyline from the comics where Banner gets separated from the Hulk. Or was it the Vision reconnects Hulk and Banner? I just recall Vision using his density powers and getting stuck in the Hulk

Question -

I want a Hulk movie.

Looking at these lists, I guess I enjoyed the Hulk movies more than just about everybody. I think if they could get a mix of the two it would be good. Liked the story of the Ang Lee one and the look of the Norton one. Just a hard character to nail on screen.
I'd like a good Hulk movie since I found the first boring and ridiculous. The second was predictable. But I also haven't liked any of the solo Wolverine movies either.

With the Vision and Avengers, the next Hulk movie could follow the storyline from the comics where Banner gets separated from the Hulk.
All the X-Men movies (including Wolverine) haven't been done by Marvel....that's a big part of the reason IMO.

Question -

A Planet/World War Hulk trilogy would be pretty sweet. Hulk really deserves a good movie now that Marvel has it's act together.
With how AoU ended with Hulk alone in a jet flying to nowhere in particular, I could see it setting up for something like this happening. I agree that this would be a good movie.

The money printing machine that is Marvel continues. The sites that track this stuff now say A2 has a chance to beat A1 and be the 3rd biggest of all time behind only Titanic and Avatar. Even if it falls short it should end up no worse than 5th or 6th all time.

==========================

Avengers: Age of Ultron was again number 1 internationally, pushing its worldwide to over $700 million in record time.

Avengers: Age of Ultron collected a very impressive $168.8 million in its 2nd weekend from a total of 88 markets. With the exception of China (next week) and Japan (July 4th), Avengers: Age of Ultron is now showing everywhere with record results across the board. Just this past weekend the superhero flick delivered the top opening weekend ever in Mexico ($25.5 million) and has so far grossed $55.8 million in South Korea, $48.9 million in the UK and $29 million in Brazil.

After less than 2 weeks in theaters Avengers: Age of Ultron already has $477.8 million internationally and $704.8 million worldwide, ranking 2nd so far in 2015. Looking ahead it won’t be easy for Age of Ultron to pass Furious 7, but that does look like the most likely outcome right now. Conservatively speaking the Avengers sequel still has at least another $250+ million from its holdover international markets and probably $230+ million from the US. That adds up to almost $1.2 billion, not including China and Japan, which could bring in a combined total north of $300 million. So ultimately expect $1.5-1.6 billion from Avengers: Age of Ultron.

I still never understand the use of box office $. It doesn't mean a thing unless we see tickets sold. I am guessing that tickets cost a little now more than they did for the first Avengers movies, and probably a bit more than for Titanic.

I still never understand the use of box office $. It doesn't mean a thing unless we see tickets sold. I am guessing that tickets cost a little now more than they did for the first Avengers movies, and probably a bit more than for Titanic.
I think everyone would prefer ticket sales similar to how it is better to see attendance at sporting events instead of ticket revenue.

I think using box office numbers is a way for the movie industry to promote themselves as "growing".

There was way too much action for me. They could have cut all of the fight scenes in half. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of how much of the run time is fight scenes. To hear a bunch of character stuff got edited out makes that even worse.

Vision origin was great. I happened to have just read the original Vision/Ultron comic with the Marvel Unlimited subscription, so it was cool to figure out what was happening in the cradle and awesome to see Thor bust him out.

I thought they were going to start more towards the Civil War stuff at the end. They are leaving a lot for the Cap movie to do. Maybe the will use the SHIELD show to develop that more. That would be awesome.

KarmaPolice said:
Right. As "great" as all these movies are it won't ever beat ET.

KarmaPolice said:
It is not an exact science because no one kept ticket sales numbers going way back but the box office tracking sites do run an adjusted for inflation list

ET is 4th on that list.

Star Wars is #2 and Gone with the Wind is #1

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

KarmaPolice said:
It is not an exact science because no one kept ticket sales numbers going way back but the box office tracking sites do run an adjusted for inflation listET is 4th on that list.

Star Wars is #2 and Gone with the Wind is #1

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
probably a little closer.

Just find it to be a silly measure for movies. OMG- The Avengers made 25% more at the box office than Jurassic Park! Never mind that the tickets probably cost 35% more.

I've seen about half a season of Blacklist and didn't have any problem buying Spader's Ultron.
I didn't have a problem with Spader's voice as much as how Ultron was written. He was too human and comic, instead of arrogant and uber-intelligent.

*DISCLAIMER: this is my opinion only. You do not need to subscribe to my opinion if you are a drooling window-licker and/or have a small peemus. Feel free to think for yourself.
The comic part is valid, and clear pandering by the studio to the kids.

The human part is a valid, and rather critical flaw Ultron has and was necessary for the plot.
You don't need to pander to kids with the villain, if the villain is a robot.

Ultron's critical human flaw is hate, not quips. Loki, yes, he quips. Even Doom is known to fire a good snide one-liner. Ultron? He dismisses and hates while deluding himself that it's all logic.

But I recognize this is a comic reader grip. I still didn't like him so much though.
If this was a Hank Pym created Ultron I would agree.

But for a Tony Stark programmed AI? I think comic and sarcastic is appropriate.

Man, I don't know if it's age or what.. .but I really don't want to sit in the theater for 3+ hour movies anymore.. the Hobbit was about the end of that for me.

If it needs to be 3+ hours, consider making a TV show and going like 10-13 hours.
Maybe you could if you had a 15 minute intermission like they did back in the 40s and 50s.

Maybe you could if you had a 15 minute intermission like they did back in the 40s and 50s.
Potty break, refill pop and get more popcorn. Sounds like a win win win.

I remember seeing Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet with an intermission. Out of curiosity I just went back and checked the run time, which was just a shade over 4 hours.

Potty break, refill pop and get more popcorn. Sounds like a win win win.
I need this desperately. I always have to pee mid movie (and get a large refill, which requires me to do a dance near the end of longer movies).

I guess its fair to say that since they are going forward with at least 4 more movies that Robert Downey Jr pretty much can print his own money at this point. Assuming he is going to be Iron Man in all of them and I can only assume he will be. Pigeon holes his career but he is going to make 40+ million per film. Thats insane.

I'd actually be great with that.. it's a win win.. i get to use the bathroom, they might get me to buy another coke (so i can add bourbon)

I guess its fair to say that since they are going forward with at least 4 more movies that Robert Downey Jr pretty much can print his own money at this point. Assuming he is going to be Iron Man in all of them and I can only assume he will be. Pigeon holes his career but he is going to make 40+ million per film. Thats insane.
I think any actor would be fine with being pigeon holed with that type of loot. It's just insane. But to his credit he and Favreau crushing Iron Man 1 and Downey just crushing the Stark role is a large reason why this is all working well... so maybe he's worthy.

I think any actor would be fine with being pigeon holed with that type of loot. It's just insane. But to his credit he and Favreau crushing Iron Man 1 and Downey just crushing the Stark role is a large reason why this is all working well... so maybe he's worthy.
as I understand it, although I am not well versed with the comics, the whole civil war angle they are going with is pretty much IronMan centric so he would have a huge role going forward. Don't see him walking away anytime soon.

What is the 4th movie you see Ironman being in?

For sure he is in these 3:

Civil War

Infinity War 1 and 2

I don't think he will be in Antman, Strange, Thor 3, or Guardians 2.

No I just assumed that was the natural progression.
The calendar is set through 2019 and that is not listed yet but it could be added obviously. The current story line will continue in Civil War (2016), Infinity War 1 (2017), and Infinity War 2 (2018) along with all the other side stories (Antman, Strange, Gog2, Inhumans, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel).

By 2019 Downey will be 54 years old. The years are flying by :(

What is the 4th movie you see Ironman being in?

For sure he is in these 3:

Civil War

Infinity War 1 and 2

I don't think he will be in Antman, Strange, Thor 3, or Guardians 2.
I could see him in Guardians.

Multiple reports are coming out that Spiderman has been cast.

Nothing official yet but it sounds like Asa Butterfield will be the new Spiderman.

Asa played Ender in the movie Enders Game.

Nothing official yet but it sounds like Asa Butterfield will be the new Spiderman.

i didn't watch ender's game, what was your impression of this kid?

i didn't watch ender's game, what was your impression of this kid?
He has a huge resume for his age so he has a lot of experience and has been a pretty good child actor.

He is 18 but can play much younger due to his looks and that fits with the notion that they want a young spidey this time.

He is English so I assume he will use an American accent for Parker if he is chosen.

Good movie. Why do they just assume we know who these people are? I didn't know the names of vision, the witch or quicksilver until after the movie.

Good movie. Why do they just assume we know who these people are? I didn't know the names of vision, the witch or quicksilver until after the movie.
its hard to work superhero names into movies. Do they even refer to Black Widow or Hawkeye by their names? They did call him the Vision numerous times though. Not that I ever heard of him before this movie.

its hard to work superhero names into movies. Do they even refer to Black Widow or Hawkeye by their names? They did call him the Vision numerous times though. Not that I ever heard of him before this movie.
Yes it is. Remember the first Xmen movie? When Professor X was telling Logan everyone's super hero names it sounded silly. Enough so that they had Logan make a joke about them...helps the audience accept something that is unlikely or absurd when the characters acknowledge the absurdity.Compare that with The Arrow where the whole first season, the name The Green Arrow is only mentioned once by an ally, and the character put the kibosh on it for sounding silly. Gave it a much better sense of realism with everyone referring to him as the vigilante or the hood.

Why does it have to be realistic. It's a ####ing comic book movie, tell me these ###holes names so we can get on with it.

I don't need realism when a 20 foot tall green guy is tossing around a tank.

Bad or unrealistic dialogue or behavior detracts, regardless of whether there is some other element of the movie that involves suspension of disbelief.

Someone in the Walking Dead thread said it well. When a setting already requires suspension of disbelief, getting the other details right becomes even more important. Not less important.

Yes it is. Remember the first Xmen movie? When Professor X was telling Logan everyone's super hero names it sounded silly. Enough so that they had Logan make a joke about them...helps the audience accept something that is unlikely or absurd when the characters acknowledge the absurdity.Compare that with The Arrow where the whole first season, the name The Green Arrow is only mentioned once by an ally, and the character put the kibosh on it for sounding silly. Gave it a much better sense of realism with everyone referring to him as the vigilante or the hood.
On Flash, they've actually made this a running gag, as Cisco has taken it upon himself to "name" the characters, even debating different names until he comes up with the perfect fit.

Why does it have to be realistic. It's a ####ing comic book movie, tell me these ###holes names so we can get on with it.

I don't need realism when a 20 foot tall green guy is tossing around a tank.
is hard to work someone names into conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread