What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (8 Viewers)

I know this might be unpopular, but I actually liked the Inhumans. The first couple episodes weren't good, and some of the makeup looked bad (Triton). But I enjoyed the second-half of the series. 
It got better over the last couple of episodes, but just didn't meet my expectations.  Felt anti-climatic and uneventful.  Let's fight our way back to the moon and then runaway again after it's destroyed.  Not sure if ABC will carry it over next year though, between the Friday time slot, the failed IMAX opening attempt and then the lackluster ratings - I think it's doomed to go any further, unless there is a tie-in or one-off with AoS.

When it comes time to replace actors in roles because of contracts, interest, aging or whatever... I really hope they don't start going off down the road of changing Thor into a woman and turning Falcon into Captain America and all of that type of changing of the heart of the core characters as opposed to just replacing the actor.

I have a feeling that would be a great way for them to kill the general public's interest in the Marvel franchises. I think if they start going down that road it is just going to end up feeling ridiculous to people, and a lot of the interest that has been built up would get thrown away.

Or maybe that's just me projecting my feelings onto the general populace?  I hate them changing the characters like that, it feels cheap and kills any built up feeling of connection to them. It would probably take someone coming in and totally stealing the role with a portrayal at a Robert Downey-as-Iron-Man level for me to think it was a positive change.
Not sure where I fall on this. While, yes, multiple actors have played Batman, Spider man, etc., they haven't been replaced while maintaining continuity within the films. I feel like Marvel has laid out such a road map that that it would be hard to do without rebooting everything. After all these films, can you really see anyone stepping in and replacing RDJ or Chris Evans in their respective roles? Those guys have become synonymous with those characters. 

While I haven't picked up a comic in 20+ years, I do think it's a weak choice to simply reinvent characters, seemingly all in the interest of creating more diversity, but the story lines already exist and it wouldn't take much to adapt them to film. While the casual fan would be confused as to why Iron Man was suddenly a black woman and the Hulk an Asian man, if done well I could see the train continuing to chug along. After all, who outside of the comic loving audience really knew Iron Man, Antman or GoG to begin with? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure where I fall on this. While, yes, multiple actors have played Batman, Spider man, etc., they haven't been replaced while maintaining continuity within the films. I feel like Marvel has laid out such a road map that that it would be hard to do without rebooting everything. After all these films, can you really see anyone stepping in and replacing RDJ or Chris Evans in their respective roles? Those guys have become synonymous with those characters. 

While I haven't picked up a comic in 20+ years, I do think it's a weak choice to simply reinvent characters, seemingly all in the interest of creating more diversity, but the story lines already exist and it wouldn't take much to adapt them to film. While the casual fan would be confused as to why Iron Man was suddenly a black woman and the Hulk an Asian man, if done well I could see the train continuing to chug along. After all, who outside of the comic loving audience really knew Iron Man, Antman or GoG to begin with? 
I knew none of these. I had heard of Iron Man, but my first glimpse of Antman and GotG were in the trailers for the movies. And I thought that raccoon was going to be super stupid. What do I know?

The only way I can see myself transitioning to new actors is if it is part of the story line.  For example don't recast Tony Stark but instead have RDJ as Tony Stark hand off Iron Man technology to a new generation and new characters.

By doing this Marvel can leave open the possibility of an incredible Kingdom Come* like movie years from now.

*Kingdom Come was a brilliant comic from DC in where all the original suoer hero's had retired and left the fighting to a new generation which eventually screwed things up forcing the older super heroes to come back.

oh man starlord is back and he looked pissed brohans you do not mess with that bromigo and you sure as heck do not mess with the racoon guy take that to the bank 

I am sure I will be seeing this because I have a pre-teen son, but is this going to be any different than the others besides MOAR SUPERHEROES!!!??  

I see magic object in the sky, dull looking alien bad guy, hoards of alien minions, everybody chasing after magic powerful thingies, and cool slo mo action poses.  It just feels like I have seen the same movie a half dozen times now.  

I am sure I will be seeing this because I have a pre-teen son, but is this going to be any different than the others besides MOAR SUPERHEROES!!!??  

I see magic object in the sky, dull looking alien bad guy, hoards of alien minions, everybody chasing after magic powerful thingies, and cool slo mo action poses.  It just feels like I have seen the same movie a half dozen times now.  
You have to be familiar with Thanos to really get the impact. But this was/is a HUGE event in the comics.

Agree.  And I'll likely love every damn minute of Avengers: MOAR SUPERHEROES.

Oh, wait, you meant that as a bad thing?

I'll definitely see this one and loved the Infinity Gauntlet arc, but yeah, I'm kind of superheroed out

Oh, wait, you meant that as a bad thing?
Kinda, but I knew from GotG and the movies that followed that this wasn't going to be my thing as they crammed more and more in there and introduced talking raccoons and time manipulating monks into the equation.  But, like I said, they will still get my $.

Nothing new. No complaints from me

They only made 17 movies that all lead up to this one (and the sequel to this one), but hey, you've seen everything already so if I were you, I'd skip it. 

That's pretty much what comics are.  

That being said, they did say that there would be significant ramifications for several characters. As to whether or not that means they're going to kill a bunch of characters (from what I understand...a lot of contracts are up/actors are saying they want to move on).....I don't know.  

At this point in the game though...if one's not invested in the characters (more so than the story as the whole story has been pretty weak).....these last two movies probably won't put you "all in". 

That's pretty much what comics are.  

That being said, they did say that there would be significant ramifications for several characters. As to whether or not that means they're going to kill a bunch of characters (from what I understand...a lot of contracts are up/actors are saying they want to move on).....I don't know.  

At this point in the game though...if one's not invested in the characters (more so than the story as the whole story has been pretty weak).....these last two movies probably won't put you "all in". 
I should be more clear, and it's not like I am against all superhero movies like some are.  I really like several of the characters and some of the movies in the MU.  

I get that it's what comics are to a point, but there are some stories that are more grounded than others and some bad guys that are interesting.  I think Capt 2 is fantastic and really like the new Spidey for that reason.   For me it gets dull when it's just dull CGI bad guy and everybody crammed in one movie, so there are less character moments that's all.  And yes, I knew this is what we were leading up to when we were getting more and more weird/spacey movies.  

Your second bolded part makes me even more nervous, because that probably means it's more of the actors that have been doing this the longest and are more likely the ones that I really like and I am going to be stuck with talking trees and raccoons going forward. ;)

I should be more clear, and it's not like I am against all superhero movies like some are.  I really like several of the characters and some of the movies in the MU.  

I get that it's what comics are to a point, but there are some stories that are more grounded than others and some bad guys that are interesting.  I think Capt 2 is fantastic and really like the new Spidey for that reason.   For me it gets dull when it's just dull CGI bad guy and everybody crammed in one movie, so there are less character moments that's all.  And yes, I knew this is what we were leading up to when we were getting more and more weird/spacey movies.  

Your second bolded part makes me even more nervous, because that probably means it's more of the actors that have been doing this the longest and are more likely the ones that I really like and I am going to be stuck with talking trees and raccoons going forward. ;)
My understanding (and I'm know there are those who know more about Disney than I do...so if I'm wrong please correct) is that Disney sees the Guardians of the Galaxy as their big solely owned (characters/movies/theme park rights) franchise within the Marvel Universe.....so yeah.....you're probably going to be subject to a healthy dose of trees and raccoons in the near future. 

Someone at work thought the guy with his back turned at :20 is him, but I think it's Thor.  Renner is listed as part of the cast on iMDb.
I am pretty sure that was Thor too.  He was on a spaceship and was during his voice over.

He must be in the background some where, because every other character was shown or at least heard(Nick Fury).  Was Hawkeye maybe one of the voices? (edit, no just watched again, he was not)

Groot:  I am Groot.

Rocket: He said, "What, you don't like talking trees?  ####### heathen."   Good one, Groot.

Groot:  I am Groot.

Rocket:  Damn straight.

The Russo's are said to be ultra meticulous with what they choose to show in their trailers.

As such I am wondering if choosing to not show Hawkeye has some extra meaning...

My totally off the wall guess is that Hawkeye will not be in the movie until the very end (perhaps even the after credits scene) in which he will play a part in a connection to Avengers 4.

Eh, Thanos, who is supposed to be the baddest villian in the universe,  just did not seem that menacing to me. Looked like a bouncer in a white supremacist bar.
You're right.  Every run of the mill baddie could subdue Vision and yank the mindstone out of his head with what looked like very little effort.  Good call.

I thought Thanos would look dumb walking around, he looked pretty damn cool sitting on his throne, but he looked bad ### in the trailer IMO

He's the voice yes, but it's all CGI.  Doesn't work for me with Thanos, for some reason the Hulk looks fine though.
I believe to be exact it is motion capture.  Brolin is doing all of the motion capture work along with the voice, similar to what Serkis did for Golum and other characters.

The Russo's are said to be ultra meticulous with what they choose to show in their trailers.

As such I am wondering if choosing to not show Hawkeye has some extra meaning...

My totally off the wall guess is that Hawkeye will not be in the movie until the very end (perhaps even the after credits scene) in which he will play a part in a connection to Avengers 4.
Was thinking the same, he's technically retired at this point isn't he? Probably wouldn't be called into action until after Thanos lays an ###-whoppin' on everybody else. Of course, not sure what a guy with a bow and arrow can do against infinity stones though. However, he might be key in reuniting the Avengers together, looks like they are still very much fragmented apart in the trailer after the events of Civil War. Also, I thought Thanos cgi looked a lot better in the trailer than he did in the earlier short bits we got in other movies.

I did not see Ant-Man in the trailer either, did I just miss him? There's a lot going on in there. I think they changed their minds and confirmed that Carol Danvers won't be in this one, but maybe both she, Ant-Man & the Wasp will show up in part 2 since there next films are in between Part 1 & Part 2.

A guess based on the footage:

Tony's half of the Avengers appear to be attacked with Thanos obtaining the mind stone from Vision and the Tesseract from Loki and him beating down Iron Man. It appears we see Wakanda being attacked in the trailer with Caps team and backups running towards something, maybe the last remaining Infinity Stone (Soul Gem) is in Wakanda? Everybody gets their butts whipped and are forced to come back together at the end of the film to unite against Thanos?

I did not see Ant-Man in the trailer either, did I just miss him? 
oh you are right!!  I missed both him and Wasp and they are both suppose to be in this.  Here is what I read online about them missing:

==========================================================

Though Evangeline Lilly (Wasp) and Paul Rudd (Ant-Man) are slated to appear in Infinity War, the first trailer doesn't include either. Earlier this week, Lilly spoke to Vanity Fair about her role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe after Infinity War, saying the major shifts in story focus remind her of her work on the TV series Lost. "We are hitting that [Lost] Season 4 space where everything’s about to shift," Lilly said, "and you’re about to lose the solid ground underneath you. And [Ant-Man and the Wasp], of course, will play a part in that."

Marvel fans anticipate the Ant-Man sequel, Ant-Man and the Wasp, exploring the Quantum Realm mentioned in the first film, but it's possible that realm could play into the war against Thanos, especially if those Avengers whose powers border on magic end up being more effective in the intergalactic war.

oh you are right!!  I missed both him and Wasp and they are both suppose to be in this.  Here is what I read online about them missing:

==========================================================

Though Evangeline Lilly (Wasp) and Paul Rudd (Ant-Man) are slated to appear in Infinity War, the first trailer doesn't include either. Earlier this week, Lilly spoke to Vanity Fair about her role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe after Infinity War, saying the major shifts in story focus remind her of her work on the TV series Lost. "We are hitting that [Lost] Season 4 space where everything’s about to shift," Lilly said, "and you’re about to lose the solid ground underneath you. And [Ant-Man and the Wasp], of course, will play a part in that."

Marvel fans anticipate the Ant-Man sequel, Ant-Man and the Wasp, exploring the Quantum Realm mentioned in the first film, but it's possible that realm could play into the war against Thanos, especially if those Avengers whose powers border on magic end up being more effective in the intergalactic war.
Think that plays in well with an obvious theory, you have the established super hero's getting owned by Thanos in Part 1. So they will possibly introduce something game changing in Ant-Man & the Wasp and/or in Captain Marvel to give them a chance of beating him in Part 2.

Honest question: do we think we will see a major character die? Marvel have the guts for that? They kind of backed off that in Civil War and took the easy way out compared to the Comics storyline.

Think that plays in well with an obvious theory, you have the established super hero's getting owned by Thanos in Part 1. So they will possibly introduce something game changing in Ant-Man & the Wasp and/or in Captain Marvel to give them a chance of beating him in Part 2.

Honest question: do we think we will see a major character die? Marvel have the guts for that? They kind of backed off that in Civil War and took the easy way out compared to the Comics storyline.
I feel like they have to kill some characters off. My money is on Black Widow. Throws Hulk into a bigger rage. 

Rumors are that Weadon fought like hell to have a more important character than Quicksilver die in Avengers 2 but was denied.   They could not even approve Rhody dying in Civil War and that was not a major character in any way.

I think the story needs it but I am sure business reasons will override story reasons.

Several actor contracts are up after the second Infinity movie....so I'm guessing characters do die.

Yeah, I think the two biggest weaknesses in the MCU are the weakness of most of the "super" villains, and the introduction of some many heroes without being willing to kill one off.

I'm personally hoping for a Captain death.  I know it's happened a ton in the comics, though I'm not a comic reader, and I think it makes sense in the MCU both story wise and real world.  Evans has talked for a while about wanted to move away from the character, I don't think he can "retire" in the MCU as that's just not how Cap is built, that is easily the impactful moment that can bring the others back together, and if done right would really hit the audience.  So that's my vote, though as NR says, may never be allowed.

I also think Start starts to step back at some point as they move to new characters, but he can be kept in the MCU and retire or move to an advisory role that just has some cameos.  I think that can be explained in the story pretty easily.

Yeah, I think the two biggest weaknesses in the MCU are the weakness of most of the "super" villains, and the introduction of some many heroes without being willing to kill one off.

I'm personally hoping for a Captain death.  I know it's happened a ton in the comics, though I'm not a comic reader, and I think it makes sense in the MCU both story wise and real world.  Evans has talked for a while about wanted to move away from the character, I don't think he can "retire" in the MCU as that's just not how Cap is built, that is easily the impactful moment that can bring the others back together, and if done right would really hit the audience.  So that's my vote, though as NR says, may never be allowed.

I also think Start starts to step back at some point as they move to new characters, but he can be kept in the MCU and retire or move to an advisory role that just has some cameos.  I think that can be explained in the story pretty easily.
This would be great. The guy can absolutely steal a scene. Let him here and there in upcoming movies. 

Cap/Steve Rogers dying to save others would likely make the most sense, story-wise, as that character has never felt fully at home in this time. Also, Chris Evans' contract is up and he wants to spend his future directing films. I also recall reading somewhere that Sebastian Stan was contracted for up to 9 films, so I can easily see Bucky taking on the Cap role further down the field after A4.

Users who are viewing this thread