What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (8 Viewers)

sorry for the slight off topic question,  in the Fox deal, it is said that Disney gets the original Star Wars movies.   Did Lucas Film not control those as part of the deal with Disney to begin with?

Also Disney is going to get Fox Networks and Fox TV stations.  How will this affect everyone's local Fox OTA affiliate? 
:pickle:  Disney only had the rights to the digitally remastered versions. The ones that Lucas butchered by adding in new CGI effects, the horrible dance/song scene in RotJ and most infamously, altering who shot first:Han or Greedo?

Would be awesome if they would re-release an original version. Only used copies of old dvd's of that version exists (non-HD and that transfer was actually copied from VHS tapes.)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/disney-to-buy-fox-film-tv-businesses-for-dollar52-billion/ar-BBGJgUn?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

"Immediately before the acquisition, Fox will separate the Fox Broadcasting network and stations, Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network, its sports channels FS1, FS2 and the Big Ten Network into a newly listed company that it will spin off to its shareholders."

There is some broadcasting rule that states the 4 main networks must stay separate, I read about it before but don't know the details, so that is causing this move.  So I think the above includes Fox channel itself, though I guess that's not 100% clear.
ok that makes sense to me.  I assume that keeps all the affiliates in tact.

I guess channels like Fx would be under Disney control now and could get rebranded.

:pickle:  Disney only had the rights to the digitally remastered versions. The ones that Lucas butchered by adding in new CGI effects, the horrible dance/song scene in RotJ and most infamously, altering who shot first:Han or Greedo?

Would be awesome if they would re-release an original version. Only used copies of old dvd's of that version exists (non-HD and that transfer was actually copied from VHS tapes.)
NOT EVEN TRYING TO GET MY HOPES UP FOR THIS!!!!!

I still have what I think is the best release of those movies available, but not even sure I can play them. The remastered Laser Disk release!

Agreed, it'd probably be similar to how they treated Thanos. We wouldn't really get a glimpse of Galactus influence until a couple movies into Phase 4 and then slowly build up to him for a big Avengers style movie later on.
With the acquisition maybe phase 4 winds up in some sort of Secret Wars awesomeness  :excited:

The :tinfoilhat:  in me thinks this is one reason why they have been so tight lipped regarding Phase 4, they were waiting to see if this came to fruition. There are 3 X-men movies due next year that are already filmed, wonder if they continue to support those franchises as they are with some tweaks, or just totally start from scratch. I could see them rebooting X-men and F4 after the first few films of Phase 4 take them past 2020 which would likely be something like Dr Strange 2 and Guardians 3.
The FOX acquisitions give Disney a lot of options of where to take the MCU throughout the 2020s. The Avengers won't be completely retired, but they won't be centerpieces after their next two films, I'm betting.

Heard inside the edit room at ABC “Hey, go get all those unaired Agents of Shield episodes and replace all references of “inhumans” with the word “Mutants””  :P
They probably won't do this, but they can start crossing over Legion, The Gifted, Agents of Shield, Inhumans, etc.

Not sure if the in-universe timelines synch up enough, but The Gifted crew seems like they could use some help from outside.

So how do the Defenders and all related series work then?  Aren't they Netflix original content?  Or will they go to the new Disney service?
Disney (Marvel) and Netflix would have had a contract covering them that would be unchanged.  Though once those contracts are done, whether Disney would renew with them for more, or save new offerings for their own service, we'll have to wait and see.

Didn't Netflix pay to produce those shows? I'm positive they own the content but maybe not rights to future seasons. 

Didn't Netflix pay to produce those shows? I'm positive they own the content but maybe not rights to future seasons. 
There hasn't been any details around who owns what but I would be shocked if Marvel made the same mistake again with content based on their characters. My guess is that Netflix has an exclusive agreement to distribute the shows but they are Marvel property and were at a minimum co-produced by both with Marvel retaining all rights.

Any indication of theme park rights?  Are we going to see the X-Men in DisneyWorld or are they going to be relegated to Universal ala most of the other Marvel heroes?

Any indication of theme park rights?  Are we going to see the X-Men in DisneyWorld or are they going to be relegated to Universal ala most of the other Marvel heroes?
There is a provision when Disney bought Marvel that says marvel heroes can not be in a Disney theme park east of the Mississippi river. So it's a no go for Disneyworld. Disneyland on the other hand is party time with marvel characters. Hence the rebranding of tower of terror to guardians of the galaxy 

There is a provision when Disney bought Marvel that says marvel heroes can not be in a Disney theme park east of the Mississippi river. So it's a no go for Disneyworld. Disneyland on the other hand is party time with marvel characters. Hence the rebranding of tower of terror to guardians of the galaxy 
I thought that was just for whatever heroes were already in Universal?  Guardians weren't...so they are building a GotG ride over in Epcot (reportedly).

There hasn't been any details around who owns what but I would be shocked if Marvel made the same mistake again with content based on their characters. My guess is that Netflix has an exclusive agreement to distribute the shows but they are Marvel property and were at a minimum co-produced by both with Marvel retaining all rights.
That's a good point but I also can't see Netflix paying all that money to produce those shows just for them to end up on another steaming service. I dunno, will be interesting. 

What's the verdict on Marvel's Runaways on Hulu?  Worth watching?

Anything else that is Hulu-only from Marvel, and opinions?  Have a 1 month free trial going, wondering what is worth checking out.

I would take the movies with the horrible dance scene and the extra CGI (the cleaning up of the vasoline under the speeder on Tatooine, the extra windows in Cloud City in Empire, and such) if they just go back to Han shot first. 

What's the verdict on Marvel's Runaways on Hulu?  Worth watching?

Anything else that is Hulu-only from Marvel, and opinions?  Have a 1 month free trial going, wondering what is worth checking out.
I like it.  It's close to the comic book storyline, so if you're familiar it's easy to follow along.  I knew enough about it to see the plot, but not enough of the finite details to spoil it. Interested to see if it goes the way I think it will.  The show doesn't drag on, and they don't spend too much time on any one character (kids or parents).  The character development is at a good pace - enough to keep me interested.

Watched Thor Ragnarok again today. I have a question I will ask in spoiler tags. 

If Asgard is destroyed and Hela and Thor draw their power from Asgard, then will they be weaker going forward? How about Loki? Does he draw power from Asgard or no because he is adopted?

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched Thor Ragnarok again today. I have a question I will ask in spoiler tags. 

If Asgard is destroyed and Hela and Thor draw their power from Asgard, then will they be weaker going forward? How about Loki? Does he draw power from Asgard or no because he is adopted?

Reveal hidden contents

I doubt it.  Odin tells Thor that Asgard isn't a place, it's a people.  He still draws his power from them.  That's my best guess, I'm doubtful Thor will try to punch Thanos as a normal person

I am not your average super hero movie fan... but I am thinking that this will be my #1 MCU movie this year. 
Agree, I'm starting to appreciate the smaller scale movies more(recent Spiderman for example). Think it's gone Overkill with the large scale, end of the world, giant battle scene stuff. The smaller scale movies are a nice break. 

Was chatting with a friend and when he said he was going to opening nite for Black Panther, I mentioned that he should be excited that there will be a Deadpool 2 preview for showings of Black Panther. He said that he was sort of meh on DP, and I was shocked, since DP is probably my favorite Marvel movie. I love it as a giggle-fest, I can't stop laughing when I hear many of Ryan Reynolds lines.

He is more of a purist than I am, and he said that one of his problems was the 'breaking of the 4th wall' (This refers to either directly referencing the audience, the show as a show, or the characters' fictionality.) in DP, and he didn't like that in a superhero movie.

So I guess the question is (sorry for the tl/dr!), what do you guys think of 4th wall in movies in general and superhero ones specifically?

Was chatting with a friend and when he said he was going to opening nite for Black Panther, I mentioned that he should be excited that there will be a Deadpool 2 preview for showings of Black Panther. He said that he was sort of meh on DP, and I was shocked, since DP is probably my favorite Marvel movie. I love it as a giggle-fest, I can't stop laughing when I hear many of Ryan Reynolds lines.

He is more of a purist than I am, and he said that one of his problems was the 'breaking of the 4th wall' (This refers to either directly referencing the audience, the show as a show, or the characters' fictionality.) in DP, and he didn't like that in a superhero movie.

So I guess the question is (sorry for the tl/dr!), what do you guys think of 4th wall in movies in general and superhero ones specifically?
I'm not a big fan of it.....but Deadpool frequently breaks the 4th wall in comic books (to the point where IIRC he actually reads comics about himself)......so I give that character/those movies a pass.  They do it well too.....

The breaking of the 4th wall is one of the main aspects of the Deadpool character - to have not done that would have done the character a disservice.

4th wall break is fine when it seems to fit the movie - ie Deadpool, some comedies (ie Clue, some of the Kevin Smith films, etc.), but would be out of place in a dramatic movie, ie The King's Speech

I loves me just about everything about DeadPool. I put it in my list of all time favorite movies, not just in my top super hero movies. I think it transcends costume hero territory. 

And I have no problem with him breaking the 4th wall. It gives us more options for snark. And then to make fun of breaking the 4th wall with the tribute to Ferris is just classic. 

I loves me just about everything about DeadPool. I put it in my list of all time favorite movies, not just in my top super hero movies. I think it transcends costume hero territory. 

And I have no problem with him breaking the 4th wall. It gives us more options for snark. And then to make fun of breaking the 4th wall with the tribute to Ferris is just classic. 
We were showing our kids 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' this weekend, and since the movie is so old (1988) it has a bunch of credits at the beginning of the movie. We were wondering if the Marvel Post-Credit scenes are related to moving the credits to the end of the movie, and trying to get people to stay and view the credits.

As far as 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels,' this came out way back when I was in HS, it was one of the best comedies of the 80s. Steve Martin and Michael Caine go so well together. The scenes with Steve Martin as 'Ruprecht the Monkey Boy' are painful to watch! :pickle:

Mr. Ected said:
We were showing our kids 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' this weekend, and since the movie is so old (1988) it has a bunch of credits at the beginning of the movie. We were wondering if the Marvel Post-Credit scenes are related to moving the credits to the end of the movie, and trying to get people to stay and view the credits.

As far as 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels,' this came out way back when I was in HS, it was one of the best comedies of the 80s. Steve Martin and Michael Caine go so well together. The scenes with Steve Martin as 'Ruprecht the Monkey Boy' are painful to watch! :pickle:
I LOVE the Ruprecht scene. "Shall I get the genital cuff?" is such a hilarious line and overshadowed by the "May I go to the bathroom," line. My kids aren't quite old enough for the whole movie, but I have shown them that scene. Maybe one of the greatest scenes in comedic movie history. Yeah, I said that. 

I LOVE the Ruprecht scene. "Shall I get the genital cuff?" is such a hilarious line and overshadowed by the "May I go to the bathroom," line. My kids aren't quite old enough for the whole movie, but I have shown them that scene. Maybe one of the greatest scenes in comedic movie history. Yeah, I said that. 
Bet you guys are excited for the new one in the works! 

Black Panther is crushing the early reviews!

On Rotten Tomatoes, after 81 reviews, 80 have been positive!

Here is the RT consensus from critics

Black Panther elevates superhero cinema to thrilling new heights while telling one of the MCU's most absorbing stories -- and introducing some of its most fully realized characters.

He's there, you just have to zoom WAAAAAAY in to spot him.   (j/k)
My son has a retro (looking) 3D Marvel picture hanging in his room.  Antman is not on it, but I use that line on him whenever he asks about him, and usually get an "Oh yeah I see him now" reply :lol:  

Hadn't seen that one.  Couldn't imagine him not being in it. 

I'm excited for Black Panther, Infnity Wars and Ant-Man.  Wife is up for IW, kid is up for IW and Ant-Man.  Damn them, now I need someone to go to BP with
Tell them to stop being racist.

KIDDING...but seriously, they should stop.

there is a chance he could have been chopped during editing and/or is being saved as an after credit scene.  It is strange though about him not showing up in the trailers.
They have a ton of characters to work with, were all of them in the trailer?

Users who are viewing this thread