Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Marvel Cinematic Universe - WandaVision was a Masterpiece. Falcon and the Winter Soldier Now Showing.


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, -fish- said:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

They changed it so the daughter is Monica.   It fits with the future of the franchise being led by the young heroes.   Monica is what, 8 in 1995?  So they can come back with her as a major force in the current timeline.   Have no problem with that.

 

 

I figure that's where they're headed.... I can easily see a Photon appearance in an Avengers movie after Endgame.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The guy sitting behind us was having one hell of an experience. He threw out so many "Oh my God"s that I was genuinely concerned for him. Then he loud cried for the last 15 minutes without pause. He w

well done guys!  You had to pollute one of the few threads that is not stained with what ever political side you support.

Had a great time at the Dolby Theater. We watched the cast walk the carpet and lots of celebrity sightings. The movie was crazy fun. I would categorize it as a comedy-action flick instead of an act

2 hours ago, Statorama said:

There are people that are curious about the movie, but really don't want to reward Brie Larson.  There's an option for them.  That's not Antifa hitting people over the head with bike locks crazy.  It's a very simple economic protest.  Putting it in the realm of alt-right is an over-reaction at best.  In fact, using the funds to back a smaller picture (like Greta) helps those films continue to get made.

ETA: I think it's a brilliant idea, you think it's a stupid idea.  Nobody wants to read us say that over and over again.

What's wrong with Brie Larson?

Did she say or do something I'm not away of?

Is she sleeping with someone behind my back?

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

 

Is she sleeping with someone behind my back?

:lmao:

She's catching a lot of heat for some bad acting in this, but it took Hemsworth 3 movies to catch his Thor groove.  I imagine she'll be better as she grows into the role

Edited by Statorama
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Captain Marvel tonight. It was decent enough but not great. See below for questions/comments:

 

1.  She was very powerful when she broke through her restraints (after the "I'm human" scene) and destroyed everyone in the room.....but she had a really tough time with Jude Law and his cronies. Kinda whack.

2. Is one of the green skroll kids Samora (Zoe Saldano)?

3. No tracker on her neck? All that technology and they have the restraining chip thing on her neck but they can't track her location with it? Weak.

4. The other plane flown by Maria with Nick Fury in it was shot by Jude Law's plane and they made no mention of it crash landing, landing safely....nothing. They stayed focused on Captain Marvel's interaction with Jude. Dumb.

5. Brie Larson is cute. I'd let her.

6. Regarding the ending credit and CM showing up, why didn't Fury use the signal earlier? I know it was for emergencies only but what about when the aliens were destroying NYC in the other Avengers? Was CM just farting around in some far away galaxy? Weak.

 

[ /spoiler

Link to post
Share on other sites

We all enjoyed it.  I told my daughter something it will be hard for her to appreciate but even just a couple of generations ago, girls never really got to see a Katniss or a Rey or a Carol in this manner.

 

"good kitty"

'oh its just a scratch"

awesome tribute to Stan Lee in the opening credits

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Statorama said:

Just a side note to anyone familiar with the Captain Marvel backstory (comics), this movie will drive you insane.  The changes to Mar-Vell, the Rambeaux story line....there's a lot of stuff that'll be kind of insulting to any decent comic nerd.

Wait? You mean Rogue isn't in this movie?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Statorama said:

Guys, I just want to reiterate that nobody wants to see posts of me being attacked and then posts of me defending myself.  The whole thing is counter productive and kind of boring.

That's great Stat, and I completely agree with you. But you keep pushing a controversial narrative. You are not explicitly holding to the true James Woods "Disney hates white men" narrative but you continue to dance around those fringes.

If you really want to keep this about the MCU stop pushing the fringes of that narrative. 

Or you can just continue pushing it and deal with the backlash of that opinion.

Just talk MCU brother, leave actors and their opinions out of it.

Edited by Chaka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

HOLY CRAP.

I was looking at some comments elsewhere... and saw these conservative-bots alt-right nutters going crazy on the entire Capt Marvel movie. Just ruining any conversation.  So I was going to post about it...

and low and behold we have one of them here doing exactly the same thing here at FBG. Even the Alita crap.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Having slept on it, I rank it in my Tier 3 with a possibility of moving up to Tier 2 based on how they handle the character in Endgame.

I agree it was formulaic, but I like the formula and thought they executed on it well. An enjoyable time.

I think what sold me on the character the most was her hero look. The color scheme and the glowing and her hair up looked AWESOME.

Edited by hagmania
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Statorama said:

Before it goes completely off the rails in the final act, the first two-thirds of Captain Marvel was entertaining.  

There was plenty I didn't like, and I'm not likely going to revisit the movie, but it was a solid "check out the matinee" superhero popcorn movie.

Yes, they beat you over the head with Grrrrrrrrrrrl power (they play "I'm just a girl" during a battle for gosh sakes, and that's not even the worst of it) but it didn't take me out of the film as much as I'd heard it would.

Remember, if you want to protest and still see the movie, buy a ticket to Alita Battle Angel but go into the Captain Marvel showing.  Lets help get Alita over 400M world wide.

 

 

If the butt hurt Proud Boys and their fans want to get Alita over $400M that's fine with me, I really enjoyed the movie.  Captain Marvel doesn't really need them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I didn’t like either Thor sequel or Iron Man 3 really. 

I thought Ragnarok was one of the better Marvel films...I also must be one of the few who liked Iron Man 3...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rove! said:

I thought Ragnarok was one of the better Marvel films...I also must be one of the few who liked Iron Man 3...

You’re not alone! I did care for either of the other Thor movies and love Ragnarok.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved loved loved having Coulson back, even if he looked weird. He's an awesome character and AoS has been a great ride. Hope they get him back in the movies after the show ends.

The movie did the job.  I was never a cosmic Marvel fan and knew nothing about the character. The was a solid intro to her and it made her powerful yet vulnerable and accessible.  That's all it needed to do really. I'm down. But she really needs coaching on how to run.  That part was not good.

 

Also haven't we seen flerkens before in the MCU? Anyone recall where?

Edited by Psychopav
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Psychopav said:

Loved loved loved having Coulson back, even if he looked weird. He's an awesome character and AoS has been a great ride. Hope they get him back in the movies after the show ends.

I was ok when they resurrected him the first time, but doing it again would be too much for me (and I love the character).

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, eoMMan said:

Saw Captain Marvel tonight. It was decent enough but not great. See below for questions/comments:

 

  Hide contents

 

1.  She was very powerful when she broke through her restraints (after the "I'm human" scene) and destroyed everyone in the room.....but she had a really tough time with Jude Law and his cronies. Kinda whack.

2. Is one of the green skroll kids Samora (Zoe Saldano)?

3. No tracker on her neck? All that technology and they have the restraining chip thing on her neck but they can't track her location with it? Weak.

4. The other plane flown by Maria with Nick Fury in it was shot by Jude Law's plane and they made no mention of it crash landing, landing safely....nothing. They stayed focused on Captain Marvel's interaction with Jude. Dumb.

5. Brie Larson is cute. I'd let her.

6. Regarding the ending credit and CM showing up, why didn't Fury use the signal earlier? I know it was for emergencies only but what about when the aliens were destroying NYC in the other Avengers? Was CM just farting around in some far away galaxy? Weak.

 

[ /spoiler

  1. She only knocked them out when she broke free of the Supreme Intelligence.  She was just starting to understand her expanded power set.  I got the impression as the battle progressed, she was getting more and more powerful.
  2. Gamora is of a race whose planet Thanos and his cronies attacked.  The MCU wiki says they're called Zehoberei.  The Skrulls' planet was attacked and the Skrulls scattered by the Kree.
  3. They did track her location with her homing beacon.  They were trying to make her believe that she could trust them.  Think of how many people distrust the US government because of GPS in phones.
  4. Rambeau had shot down Miranda.  Danvers took down Yon-Rogg.  The quadjet (predecessor to the quinjet) was damaged, but not in danger of crashing.  Why you'd want to watch that over a fight scene, I don't know.
  5.  
  6. When the Chitauri were attacking NYC, Fury had already gathered the Avengers.  There was no need to call for Captain Marvel.  Not to mention there's no indication of how long it took her to get from whatever deep space location she was back to Earth.  The Chitauri were a problem for a few hours.  It would've been long over by the time she got there.  When he did signal her, the Avengers had already been trounced by Thanos and half the population of Earth was vaporizing.  That's when you call for backup.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked Captain Marvel. Not close to the top tier of Marvel movies for me but solidly in the Ant-Man/Doctor Strange range of enjoyable and easily re-watchable films. This movie also set a record for a movie making me choke up, which happened as soon as the Marvel Studios intro rolled for obvious reasons once you see it. It was great seeing it on opening night as the audience was all enthusiastically applauding that part.  

Loved Ben Mendelsohn's Talos. The whole cast was great but he really shined in that role. Can't wait for Endgame. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

===========

Disney-Marvel’s latest MCU installment, “Captain Marvel,” is launching to an estimated $156 million from 4,310 North American locations after totaling $61.4 million on Friday.

The Friday number includes $20.7 million from Thursday previews. Should estimates hold, “Captain Marvel” will rank as the seventh best MCU opening domestically, behind the three “Avengers” movies, along with “Black Panther,” “Iron Man 3” and “Captain America: Civil War.”

Some insiders are indicating “Captain Marvel’s” debut tally could be slightly more conservative, in the $145 million-$155 million range. The pic, which stars Brie Larson as Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers, has already taken in $127 million internationally, including a $34.3 million opening day in China, the second highest MCU opening day in the territory.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Arsenal of Doom said:

It’s kind of enjoyable watching these clowns demonstrate their own irrelevance, over and over. 

I do love how they tried to convince everyone the "only 26% want to see movie" stat was legit before RT realized how bad the trolling finally got.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Arsenal of Doom said:

It’s kind of enjoyable watching these clowns demonstrate their own irrelevance, over and over. 

Your weird trolling is just that. I might vary from the crowd as I went to see the movie and yet think that Bree is a clueless dolt. But then again, I listen to the opinions of exactly zero actors, so that is normal for me.

There is not a single boycotter as you call them that expects the movie to be anything less than another big marvel hit from their movie machine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bcdjr1 said:

 

  Hide contents

 

  1. She only knocked them out when she broke free of the Supreme Intelligence.  She was just starting to understand her expanded power set.  I got the impression as the battle progressed, she was getting more and more powerful.
  2. Gamora is of a race whose planet Thanos and his cronies attacked.  The MCU wiki says they're called Zehoberei.  The Skrulls' planet was attacked and the Skrulls scattered by the Kree.
  3. They did track her location with her homing beacon.  They were trying to make her believe that she could trust them.  Think of how many people distrust the US government because of GPS in phones.
  4. Rambeau had shot down Miranda.  Danvers took down Yon-Rogg.  The quadjet (predecessor to the quinjet) was damaged, but not in danger of crashing.  Why you'd want to watch that over a fight scene, I don't know.
  5.  
  6. When the Chitauri were attacking NYC, Fury had already gathered the Avengers.  There was no need to call for Captain Marvel.  Not to mention there's no indication of how long it took her to get from whatever deep space location she was back to Earth.  The Chitauri were a problem for a few hours.  It would've been long over by the time she got there.  When he did signal her, the Avengers had already been trounced by Thanos and half the population of Earth was vaporizing.  That's when you call for backup.

 

1. Gotcha. I just think if she's that powerful to break free from the Supreme Intelligence (even when she's just realizing her full power), she should no problem squashing Jude and his goons. In fact, she become even more enraged after seeing him and empowered by the No Doubt song.

2. Yeah, I remember the scene from the other movie when Thanos took a young Samora. I was just wondering if maybe that was after the Skrulls found a new home and settled. 

3. Homing beacon, yeah, but not her tag. You don't find it odd they couldn't pinpoint exactly where was located with a chip implanted in her neck? Hell, it is 2019 here on Earth and my dog has a chip in him so I can locate him if I needed too.

4. Damaged but not in danger of crashing? Huh? You know this how? It would have taken literally 30 seconds more of movie to show land safely. Major flaw in the movie, imo.

5. No love for Brie? 😍

6. Yeah, I get that he had a crew already together in NYC but it was looking bad. They were getting there ### handed to them. If that wasn't an emergency, I don't what is.

[ /spoiler

Link to post
Share on other sites

To think that this movie wouldn't do well is silly. They could show a turd on the screen for two hours but as long as it was a Marvel movie..many people will pay to see it and many will still say they enjoyed it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Big Guy said:

Your weird trolling is just that. I might vary from the crowd as I went to see the movie and yet think that Bree is a clueless dolt. But then again, I listen to the opinions of exactly zero actors, so that is normal for me.

There is not a single boycotter as you call them that expects the movie to be anything less than another big marvel hit from their movie machine.

What else would you call them? Well I can think of plenty of things but boycotters is one of the nicer ones.

I think there were plenty of them that thought they would move the needle before it was released.

Heck even @Statorama seemed to think a boycott could do some damage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, The Big Guy said:

Your weird trolling is just that. I might vary from the crowd as I went to see the movie and yet think that Bree is a clueless dolt. But then again, I listen to the opinions of exactly zero actors, so that is normal for me.

There is not a single boycotter as you call them that expects the movie to be anything less than another big marvel hit from their movie machine.

I don’t want to participate in derailing this thread but are you really “boycotting” a movie you don’t want to see by not seeing it? 

Anyway, the clowns I’m referring to are the ones spending their time writing negative reviews to a movie they haven’t seen to give it a lower audience score, presumably because they think it will somehow dissuade others from seeing it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chaka said:

What else would you call them? Well I can think of plenty of things but boycotters is one of the nicer ones.

I think there were plenty of them that thought they would move the needle before it was released.

Heck even @Statorama seemed to think a boycott could do some damage.

No, was just hoping this wouldn't do well so that they would keep their politics out of my superhero movies.  If you reward that kind of thing they'll keep doing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously guys can you take this #### to the politics forum?

And just because you are responding but didn't post first doesn't exonerate you.  You're defecating all over this thread and it's not cool.  We get it, you're certain that you're right and the other guy is wrong. Congratulations you're smarter than him. You win.  Now can you please shut it?

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Psychopav said:

Seriously guys can you take this #### to the politics forum?

And just because you are responding but didn't post first doesn't exonerate you.  You're defecating all over this thread and it's not cool.  We get it, you're certain that you're right and the other guy is wrong. Congratulations you're smarter than him. You win.  Now can you please shut it?

Why am I the bad guy for defending myself?  I've said repeatedly that I want to get back to discussing the movies, but people keep drawing me back into this.  

If everyone else would stop, you wouldn't hear a peep about it from me.  So let's see if everyone else wants to drop it too, because I wish the whole thing wouldnt have been discussed in the first place.  I am beyond tired of hearing about it and defending myself.

I feel your frustration, I'm frustrated too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Statorama said:

Why am I the bad guy for defending myself?  I've said repeatedly that I want to get back to discussing the movies, but people keep drawing me back into this.  

If everyone else would stop, you wouldn't hear a peep about it from me.  So let's see if everyone else wants to drop it too, because I wish the whole thing wouldnt have been discussed in the first place.  I am beyond tired of hearing about it and defending myself.

I feel your frustration, I'm frustrated too. 

Please stop.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arsenal of Doom said:

I liked Captain Marvel. Not close to the top tier of Marvel movies for me but solidly in the Ant-Man/Doctor Strange range of enjoyable and easily re-watchable films. This movie also set a record for a movie making me choke up, which happened as soon as the Marvel Studios intro rolled for obvious reasons once you see it. It was great seeing it on opening night as the audience was all enthusiastically applauding that part.  

Loved Ben Mendelsohn's Talos. The whole cast was great but he really shined in that role. Can't wait for Endgame. 

 

Agreed on all except not really choked up, thought it was a nice move. 

Saw it today during matinee. Agreed that it's in the enjoyable, B+ range. 

That's probably my second favorite movie Goose. 

It's hardly a big deal but her wearing the leather jacket in space bothers me. Just give it to the kid before taking off.

Lashana Lynch was great. Did Maria join shield later on?

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those familiar with Marvel comics, and saw the movie...

 

Any issues with them changing the Skrulls, who are traditionally villains.. into the good guys?  To me it kind of wastes some potentially good story lines, but I was wondering where you guys thought they might be taking things.  Also, were you disappointed in how they had Fury lose his eye?

Edited by Statorama
Added Fury eye question
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Statorama said:

For those familiar with Marvel comics, and saw the movie...

  Reveal hidden contents

Any issues with them changing the Skrulls, who are traditionally villains.. into the good guys?  To me it kind of wastes some potentially good story lines, but I was wondering where you guys thought they might be taking things.  Also, were you disappointed in how they had Fury lose his eye?

No issue at all with the Skrulls. I've read comics for over 30 years and continuity gets flipped around all the time. I think it keeps things more interesting for the movies to do their own thing. Also nothing stopping them from bring the Skrulls back in more of a traditional role in the future, as presumably every race has some good and evil factions.

Yeah, the Fury eye thing was a little disappointing. They generally leaned a little too hard into comic relief with his role for my taste. Samuel L. Jackson is great and his bits were funny but I like Fury a little more serious with smaller doses of humor.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

With Captain Marvel under my belt I decided to go back and re-watch the MCU in order before Endgame. Just finished Iron Man, and it's been at least a few years since I watched it straight through. One thing that really jumps out to me is how much the formula for the MCU success was created by Favreau and RDJ in that film. The humor and action mix they establish carries through to just about every one of the films that follow. I'm not sure if that was by design initially or once they hit on success they have mostly stayed the course, but it's amazing how much the overall tone feels the same in Captain Marvel as it does in Iron Man. 

It's also interesting to think back to before the movie came out and what a big deal it was for Marvel at the time. This was pre-Disney and Marvel had famously gone through a lot of financial problems over the years, which resulted in them not having the rights to most of what were considered their A-list properties (X-Men, Spider-Man, & Fantastic 4). Looking at what the MCU has become I think it's probably safe to assume that their wildest expectations were exceeded. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like how agents of shield with the Kree are tied in better. 

Is Vers more powerful than Wanda or vision?

Edited by -OZ-
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Arsenal of Doom said:

With Captain Marvel under my belt I decided to go back and re-watch the MCU in order before Endgame. Just finished Iron Man, and it's been at least a few years since I watched it straight through. One thing that really jumps out to me is how much the formula for the MCU success was created by Favreau and RDJ in that film. The humor and action mix they establish carries through to just about every one of the films that follow. I'm not sure if that was by design initially or once they hit on success they have mostly stayed the course, but it's amazing how much the overall tone feels the same in Captain Marvel as it does in Iron Man. 

It's also interesting to think back to before the movie came out and what a big deal it was for Marvel at the time. This was pre-Disney and Marvel had famously gone through a lot of financial problems over the years, which resulted in them not having the rights to most of what were considered their A-list properties (X-Men, Spider-Man, & Fantastic 4). Looking at what the MCU has become I think it's probably safe to assume that their wildest expectations were exceeded. 

I think they wanted the movie to fit who they pictured Tony Stark to be.  He wasn’t some brooding angry dude like Nolan’s Batman.  He was the fun loving playboy guy in the comics.  It was definitely different from what they tried to do with the Hulk movies  and the earlier movies from other studios where Feige and Arad did have creative influence.....the formula worked and I think Marvel decided to stick with it

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

I do like how agents of shield with the tree are tied in better. 

Is Vers more powerful than Wanda or vision?

The answer to who is more powerful or who would in a fight between ____ and ____ is pretty much always, whoever the person writing a particular story wants. I mean in the comics, Hulk was actually killed by Hawkeye, and stayed dead for a long time (Okay, he technically killed him while he was Banner but that version of Hulk also stayed dead for a long time). 

As far as the MCU goes, it seems they are positioning Captain Marvel to be one of the stronger heroes. Wanda seems nerfed compared to the comics as they haven't really shown her reality manipulation yet. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Arsenal of Doom said:

The answer to who is more powerful or who would in a fight between ____ and ____ is pretty much always, whoever the person writing a particular story wants. I mean in the comics, Hulk was actually killed by Hawkeye, and stayed dead for a long time (Okay, he technically killed him while he was Banner but that version of Hulk also stayed dead for a long time). 

As far as the MCU goes, it seems they are positioning Captain Marvel to be one of the stronger heroes. Wanda seems nerfed compared to the comics as they haven't really shown her reality manipulation yet. 

 

Sure. Although I don't think these three fight each other. It's just interesting with all 3 essentially created by the stones. Of course two are gone for now. 

Watching Ultron right now.  It's the only one I haven't seen repeatedly other than the hulk.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Sure. Although I don't think these three fight each other. It's just interesting with all 3 essentially created by the stones. Of course two are gone for now. 

Watching Ultron right now.  It's the only one I haven't seen repeatedly other than the hulk.

That's right, I had momentarily forgotten that Wanda's powers in the movies are derived from the Mind Stone, like Vision. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Corporation changed the title to Marvel Cinematic Universe - WandaVision was a Masterpiece. Falcon and the Winter Soldier Now Showing.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...