What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (7 Viewers)

Fat Drunk and Stupid said:
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Shazam.  Really good.
Absolutely the most entertaining movie of the DC crop (post Nolan).  Wonder Woman may have been a "better" movie, but I enjoyed this movie a great deal more.  It had almost a Spiderman Homecoming feel to it.

Absolutely the most entertaining movie of the DC crop (post Nolan).  Wonder Woman may have been a "better" movie, but I enjoyed this movie a great deal more.  It had almost a Spiderman Homecoming feel to it.
Don't get me started o Spiderman:: HC.  That movie wishes it was Shazam.  As far as superhero movies go - Shazam was something original - I would go 8.5 on a 10 scale better than all the Thor movies by a mile.

Don't get me started o Spiderman:: HC.  That movie wishes it was Shazam.  As far as superhero movies go - Shazam was something original - I would go 8.5 on a 10 scale better than all the Thor movies by a mile.
Going to see it definitely but Ragnarok set a high bar. It is arguably a top 3 MCU film.

The Dark World, otoh, is probably the worst of the bunch.

Going to see it definitely but Ragnarok set a high bar. It is arguably a top 3 MCU film.

The Dark World, otoh, is probably the worst of the bunch.
I will have to give Rags another try some day - cause I thought it was not vert good the first time.

I will have to give Rags another try some day - cause I thought it was not vert good the first time.
Maybe it's not your cuppa tea but I think most people would rank it very highly in the MCU.

Off the top of my head Infinity War and Winter Soldier are probably top two in my book, after that I'm looking at Ragnarok,  Iron Man and The Avengers...maybe Civil War.

Capella said:
Seems like DC has turned things around. 
They seem to do stand alone movies pretty well. Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam all got pretty good reviews. They just did everything backwards. Tried to go big before earning it like Marvel did.

They seem to do stand alone movies pretty well. Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam all got pretty good reviews. They just did everything backwards. Tried to go big before earning it like Marvel did.
Agreed but to put in the into perspective what Marvel attempted, at the time was truly revolutionary. They bet on the long game on a scale which had never been considered let alone attempted.

I can't fault DC for being behind in adapting to the paradigm shift. They seem to have righted the ship but they still have holes in the process of integrating their franchises. Affleck is out, Cavill? I think he's still Superman but is he? Ezra Miller may or may not be Flash going forward (thought he was the only highlight of Justice League). Cyborg was a miss and now the character is in some Netflix (or whatever) series. The tent poles seem to be Gal Gadot and Jason Mamoa, which is good but is it enough?

I'm looking forward to Shazam, may even go see it today, he's getting very solid reviews and I want to see what paths they leave open to integrating with the greater DC universe. They need more characters that the audiences feel will stick around for awhile and they can invest in before the DC universe can become a real thing.

Agreed but to put in the into perspective what Marvel attempted, at the time was truly revolutionary. They bet on the long game on a scale which had never been considered let alone attempted.

I can't fault DC for being behind in adapting to the paradigm shift. They seem to have righted the ship but they still have holes in the process of integrating their franchises. Affleck is out, Cavill? I think he's still Superman but is he? Ezra Miller may or may not be Flash going forward (thought he was the only highlight of Justice League). Cyborg was a miss and now the character is in some Netflix (or whatever) series. The tent poles seem to be Gal Gadot and Jason Mamoa, which is good but is it enough?

I'm looking forward to Shazam, may even go see it today, he's getting very solid reviews and I want to see what paths they leave open to integrating with the greater DC universe. They need more characters that the audiences feel will stick around for awhile and they can invest in before the DC universe can become a real thing.
One of the issues they have acknowledged with Shazam.  They want to do a sequel fast as all the characters will be aging to fast.  They need to reboot Green Lantern - that movie has epic potential.

Is there a consensus in this thread as to the best format for this movie - Standard, 3d, Imax or some combination of these?  My son and I generally avoid 3d, but I'm not opposed to it if its done well.  tia

One of the issues they have acknowledged with Shazam.  They want to do a sequel fast as all the characters will be aging to fast.  They need to reboot Green Lantern - that movie has epic potential.

Green Lantern was always my favorite DC hero and it seems that his awesomeness would translate incredibly well to the CGI big screen. But then you look back at baseball bats and mitts, big fists and Hot Wheels and realize that it's going to take updating the skill set and some real creativity to make it not just silly.

But they absolutely need to add GL to the rotation.

DC is still a mess. Their standalone movies have gotten much better in the last 2 years. However I don’t think they am pull off what Marve has done with their universe. How many Batman’s have there been? Superman and Joker? 

Hell, even in Shazam, 

the short Superman cameo didn’t even show his face. DC has no clue who will fill the role. Cringeworthy 

Is there a consensus in this thread as to the best format for this movie - Standard, 3d, Imax or some combination of these?  My son and I generally avoid 3d, but I'm not opposed to it if its done well.  tia
I generally go IMAX, not a fan of the 3D glasses or how they usually try to make it fit.  I love the sound in IMAX theaters.  If the only options at the time I want to watch are IMAX 3D or Regular, I'll go IMAX 3D.  Our IMAX theater is also the one where you can select your seats beforehand so you don't have to worry about lines.

Just from a psychological standpoint they need to redo Green Lantern too. Right now it's just a joke. It's a lot like Daredevil was before the Netflix series. Now people think of Daredevil in a much more positive light. They to do GL right and quick.

DC is still a mess. Their standalone movies have gotten much better in the last 2 years. However I don’t think they am pull off what Marve has done with their universe. How many Batman’s have there been? Superman and Joker? 

Hell, even in Shazam, 

the short Superman cameo didn’t even show his face. DC has no clue who will fill the role. Cringeworthy 
I'm literally, not figuratively, sitting in the theater waiting for the second post credit scene and I agree/disagree. First I'm thinking "Okay they got Superman involved" but they got him and Batman involved early on with the newspaper, bullet and Batarang. But then they pulled that third act twist and...man that's gonna be an interesting element if they want to make this a cohesive universe.

But, overall Shazam was a super fun movie. 

Although there are definitely super dark elements, mostly first act stuff, that make me think it's not a movie for kids under 14 sldespite the kid friendly label.

Hell, even in Shazam, 

This was unfortunate scheduling.  They had Cavil lined up for this cameo and then his schedule changed for Mission Impossible and they could not do the shoot and had to make do.

Just from a psychological standpoint they need to redo Green Lantern too. Right now it's just a joke. It's a lot like Daredevil was before the Netflix series. Now people think of Daredevil in a much more positive light. They to do GL right and quick.
GL should be insane...like Guardians of the Galaxy on steroids.  They should do a "Hulk/Incredible Hulk" like MARVEL did and explain GLs origin before/during the credits and just go right into cosmic FX.

I generally try to avoid 3D because it’s usually unnecessary, but I will do one of the souped up theaters (either IMAX or Regal’s RPX).

I did make an exception for Dr Strange and saw that in IMAX 3D.  Everything I read ahead of time said 3D enhanced the experience of that movie with the collapsing cityscapes etc, and it was absolutely correct.

My daughter doesn't want to see Shazam with me because she thinks the DC movies are terrible.  But it looks good.  And I just watched Aquaman last night (by myself  :sadbanana: ) and that was a funny/good movie, too.

DC has a lot of bridges to mend, I guess.

dc should keep doing movies like they did justice league and wonder woman those were great anything they can do to have less batloser would be awesome too because that guy is just a punk and stinks and sup would mop the floor with him like he wasnt even there take that to the bank brohans 

Scarlett, Hemsworth, rudd, and downey on Kimmel... apparently showing a scene from the movie.  Probably a trailer already released.

Wow I thought it was one of the best movies I saw all year. 
Same here. Outstanding plot, the visuals were stunning, and dropping Nick Cage in there was an added bonus. Loved that movie. We bought it as soon as it came out on DVD and have already watched it as a family

https://io9.gizmodo.com/marvel-is-reportedly-developing-a-kate-bishop-centered-1833945782

Hawkeye is coming to Disney+. Oh, and so is Hawkeye.

Variety is reporting that Disney is making a move to begin developing another Marvel Cinematic Universe-connected show for its incoming streaming platform, Disney+. Like the previously revealed Loki and Scarlet Witch series (and the rumored Winter Soldier/Falcon show), it will feature talent from the Marvel movies—namely, of course, Jeremy Renner as the arrow-flinging former Agent of SHIELD, Hawkeye.

But, in an incredibly intriguing twist, Variety reports that Renner’s take on Clint Barton will not be the only avenging archer in it. Kate Bishop, the young woman who took on the Hawkeye mantle when Clint abandoned it to become Ronin, will also appear in the series in a major role.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/marvel-is-reportedly-developing-a-kate-bishop-centered-1833945782

Variety is reporting that Disney is making a move to begin developing another Marvel Cinematic Universe-connected show for its incoming streaming platform, Disney+. Like the previously revealed Loki and Scarlet Witch series (and the rumored Winter Soldier/Falcon show), it will feature talent from the Marvel movies—namely, of course, Jeremy Renner as the arrow-flinging former Agent of SHIELD, Hawkeye.

But, in an incredibly intriguing twist, Variety reports that Renner’s take on Clint Barton will not be the only avenging archer in it. Kate Bishop, the young woman who took on the Hawkeye mantle when Clint abandoned it to become Ronin, will also appear in the series in a major role.
Wha?

We will finally get the ala carte cable service we want, only to have so many streaming services that are must see TV that it will cost us more!

We will finally get the ala carte cable service we want, only to have so many streaming services that are must see TV that it will cost us more!
Saw that Disney  will have a pricing package that includes Disney +, ESPN + and Hulu.  With Disney + at 6.99 per month, this may be the way to go

Saw that Disney  will have a pricing package that includes Disney +, ESPN + and Hulu.  With Disney + at 6.99 per month, this may be the way to go
Wait, what? I already subscribe to Hulu so at about the same for Disney+ I get all that extra stuff? Got a link?

I apologize if this is a Honda, but I saw this today, and it is just so well done.

What would Avengers have done with a 1999 cast? 

All three of those for 6.99 per month?  That's cheaper than Hulu by itself.  :confused:

Wait, what? I already subscribe to Hulu so at about the same for Disney+ I get all that extra stuff? Got a link?
Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Disney + alone is 6.99/mo. 

There was a report that they will also be offering a package that includes ESPN+, Disney+ and hulu.  The price for this wasn't noted.

Last edited by a moderator:

I like this storyline.  Hawkeye is the character that got me into comics when I was younger.  I've always been a fan of his storyline, and I think the Kate Bishop storyline is just as good.  She is a good tie in for the Young Avengers arc that is bound to come up down the road.  Plus Renner isn't getting any younger.

Users who are viewing this thread