What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (10 Viewers)

I'm curious how people responded at the time of release to the credit scene in Antman and the Wasp.  I just watched it over the weekend and of course it makes sense now.  

I'm curious how people responded at the time of release to the credit scene in Antman and the Wasp.  I just watched it over the weekend and of course it makes sense now.  
can you explain more?  Why did the extra credit scene not make sense at the time Antman and Wasp was released?

Note: Antman 2 was released after Infinity War if you are referring to the dusting.  The extra credit scene was just tying the timelines together.

You mean if Ant-man and the Wasp was the very first Marvel movie they've ever seen?

Well, they wouldn't know about Easter Eggs at the end of credits then probably.

Next batch of reviews are in.  Things are looking good and enough to give an RT consensus.

68 reviews, 91% positive

Here is the consensus

Packed with action, humor, and visual thrills, Captain Marvel introduces the MCU's latest hero with an origin story that makes effective use of the franchise's signature formula

I don't know about Rotten Tomatoes but Ive read two reviews from legit sources and they both say its lackluster and a slog.

I don't know about Rotten Tomatoes but Ive read two reviews from legit sources and they both say its lackluster and a slog.
RT does not review movies.  They simply aggregate reviews from various critics.   

Since Captain Marvel is not at 100% (which very very very few movies are) there are always going to be negative reviews of which you have already seen.

The general point of RT is too quickly see if those negative reviews are in the minority or the majority.

You also haven't remember that RT doesn't give you an average score. They give a yea or nay score based on review above 60%. So RT may have it at 90% right now (which I also noticed their update did away with the average score out of 5). Metacritic though has the average of all critics and it's currently at 68/100. There were a lot of reviews in the 6 or 7 range so that makes sense.

. Metacritic though has the average of all critics and it's currently at 68/100. There were a lot of reviews in the 6 or 7 range so that makes sense.
68 is solid for MCU movies.  Here are the other meta critic scores for MCU

The films:
79 Iron Man (2008)
61 The Incredible Hulk (2008)
57 Iron Man 2 (2010)
57 Thor (2011)
66 Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
69 Marvel's The Avengers (2012)
62 Iron Man 3 (2013)
54 Thor: The Dark World (2013)
70 Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
76 Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
66 Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
64 Ant-Man (2015)
75 Captain America: Civil War (2016)
72 Doctor Strange (2016)
67 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
73 Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
74 Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
88 Black Panther (2018)
68 Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
70 Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)

The films:
79 Iron Man (2008)
57 Iron Man 2 (2010)
57 Thor (2011)
62 Iron Man 3 (2013)
64 Ant-Man (2015)
72 Doctor Strange (2016)
88 Black Panther (2018)
How in the heck is Infinity War only a 68??

The films:
79 Iron Man (2008)
57 Iron Man 2 (2010)
57 Thor (2011)
62 Iron Man 3 (2013)
64 Ant-Man (2015)
72 Doctor Strange (2016)
88 Black Panther (2018)
Wow, the African American community uses the crap out of online movie reviewing

How in the heck is Infinity War only a 68??
one of the many reasons I don't read reviews or worry about critic scores too much.  I enjoy seeing the overall scores but many times they look at movies differently than I do.

My views tend to mirror the IMDB user ratings much closer than critic ratings.

Last edited by a moderator:
one of the many reasons I don't read reviews or worry about critic scores too much.  I enjoy seeing the overall scores but many times they look at movies differently than I do.

My views tend to mirror the IMDB user ratings much closer than critic ratings.
Agreed, there are 9 marvel movies rated ahead of the first Avengers. I know everyone has different tastes, but that's crazy talk. The first Avengers is damn near a perfect movie. I've probably seen it 100 times by now and it never gets old.

Critics do not like superhero movies, at least a fair amount of them anyway. So the review them because it is the job and give a middling rating to match their preconceived notions. 
While what you say is true, it still does not explain why it ranks so average in comparison to all the MCU movies.  Most fans would put it near the top.

Critics do not like superhero movies, at least a fair amount of them anyway. So the review them because it is the job and give a middling rating to match their preconceived notions. 
Yea but lots of the other Marvel movies on that post are rated higher. Black Panther 20 points higher than Infinity War is LOL. 

Which makes Larsons point. Critics who give bad/poor reviews to a  movie not made for them is not fair. For independent and smaller budget movies, reviews can make or break the movie.  

For people who are more interested in Fan ratings, here are the IMDB ratings in order, from worst to first in the MCU

20) The Incredible Hulk - 6.8

19) Captain America : The First Avenger - 6.9

18) Thor The Dark World - 7.0

17) Iron Man 2 - 7.0

16) Thor - 7.0

15) Iron Man 3 - 7.2

14) Ant Man - 7.3

13) Ant Man and The Wasp - 7.4

12) Avengers Age of Ultron - 7.4

11) Spiderman Homecoming - 7.5

10) Black Panther - 7.5

9) Doctor Strange - 7.5

8 Guardian of the Galaxy Vol 2 - 7.7

7) Captain America Civil War - 7.8

6) Captain America Winter Soldier - 7.8

5) Thor Ragnarok - 7.9

4) Iron Man - 7.9

3) Guardians of the Galaxy - 8.1

2) The Avengers - 8.1

1) Avengers Infinity War - 8.5

For people who are more interested in Fan ratings, here are the IMDB ratings in order, from worst to first in the MCU

17) Iron Man 2 - 7.0

16) Thor - 7.0

15) Iron Man 3 - 7.2

14) Ant Man - 7.3

10) Black Panther - 7.5

9) Doctor Strange - 7.5

5) Thor Ragnarok - 7.9

4) Iron Man - 7.9

2) The Avengers - 8.1

Thanks for posting this, that's pretty much in line with my thoughts

17) Iron Man 2 - 7.0

16) Thor - 7.0

15) Iron Man 3 - 7.2

14) Ant Man - 7.3

10) Black Panther - 7.5

9) Doctor Strange - 7.5

5) Thor Ragnarok - 7.9

4) Iron Man - 7.9

2) The Avengers - 8.1

Much more in tune with my views. Couple of tweaks but it's a good list.

The credit cookies for Captain Marvel have been reported on.  Yawners, but only look inside if you want to be spoiled:

Cat coughs up a hairball which is the tesseract (explains why SHIELD had it in the first movie), and a very brief scene lifted from Endgame where she shows up at Avengers HQ and says "where is Fury?"

17) Iron Man 2 - 7.0

16) Thor - 7.0

15) Iron Man 3 - 7.2

14) Ant Man - 7.3

10) Black Panther - 7.5

9) Doctor Strange - 7.5

5) Thor Ragnarok - 7.9

4) Iron Man - 7.9

2) The Avengers - 8.1

The first Captain is one of my favorites. The transformation from weakling to cap is great. That sequence when he parachutes in to save all the soldiers is top notch. I would not rate it so low. 

The first Captain is one of my favorites. The transformation from weakling to cap is great. That sequence when he parachutes in to save all the soldiers is top notch. I would not rate it so low. 
Cap 1 is much higher for me too and Age if Ultron is much lower but overall it's a much better list than the critics list above.

Nick Vermeil said:
I would also move up Antman and Wasp and Spiderman Homecoming up the list. Those two were fantastic. 

Mile High said:
Which makes Larsons point. Critics who give bad/poor reviews to a  movie not made for them is not fair. For independent and smaller budget movies, reviews can make or break the movie.  
That wasn't really Larson's point. Her point was that the review industry was too white male dominated (even though she quoted only 67% were white males). She didn't think it was possible for a white male to understand a movie like "A Wrinkle in Time" because they are white and male.

NewlyRetired said:

17) Iron Man 2 - 7.0

16) Thor - 7.0

15) Iron Man 3 - 7.2

14) Ant Man - 7.3

10) Black Panther - 7.5

9) Doctor Strange - 7.5

5) Thor Ragnarok - 7.9

4) Iron Man - 7.9

2) The Avengers - 8.1

As others have said, solid list that I would also tweak around the middle and bottom, but the top end of the list is really good.

As others have said, solid list that I would also tweak around the middle and bottom, but the top end of the list is really good.
IMO no one list is going to match anyone's personal list but this experiment has shown that our group of fans tend to think more like other fans and not like critics.

The gap between how the critics view Black Panther and the fans view that movie is striking and it probably goes hand in hand with why Black Panther is the only MCU movie with academy awards as I often disagree with the academy voters as well.

I think no one list is going to match anyone's personal list but I think this experiment has shown that our group of fans tend to think more like other fans and not like critics.

The gap between how the critics view Black Panther and the fans is striking and it probably goes hand in hand with why Black Panther is the only MCU movie with academy awards as I often disagree with the academy voters as well.
I think Black Panther got a PC bump from the critics because it starred a lot of african american actors. Which I have no problem with if that is how they want to judge movies. Personally, I thought it was a really good comic book movie just like all the majority of the other Marvel movies. I really don't think there was anything about it that would have made it stand out above the other Marvel movies.

NewlyRetired said:

19) Thor The Dark World - 7.0

18) Avengers Age of Ultron - 7.4

17) Iron Man 2 - 7.0

16) Thor - 7.0

15) Iron Man 3 - 7.2

14) Ant Man and The Wasp - 7.4

13) Guardian of the Galaxy Vol 2

12) Thor Ragnarok - 7.9

11) Captain America : The First Avenger - 6.9

10) Spiderman Homecoming - 7.5

9) Ant Man - 7.3

8)) Black Panther - 7.5

5) Doctor Strange - 7.5

4) Iron Man - 7.9

2) The Avengers - 8.1

IMHO

I haven’t seen any of the Thor stand alone movies but he’s damned hilarious in the Avengers pics. Why do the stand alones rate so poorly?

I haven’t seen any of the Thor stand alone movies but he’s damned hilarious in the Avengers pics. Why do the stand alones rate so poorly?
The first two are very serious in tone. Thor: The Dark World is the worst MCU movie by a country mile in my opinion, but Ragnarok is my favorite. Ragnarok is basically a comedy

I love the Thor movies, but really only because of Loki. Thor and Odin come off way too serious and holier-than-thou in them.

Iron Man 3 is just plain boring. That one rates by far the worst for me, well below any other MCU movie other than Norton's Hulk.

I liked Norton's Hulk. I liked that it didn't discredit Ang Lee's abomination (no pun intended). Just kept the story going. Can't wait for a real Hulk storyline and finally the addition of She Hulk! You want to talk about a strong female superhero!

I love the Thor movies, but really only because of Loki. Thor and Odin come off way too serious and holier-than-thou in them.

Iron Man 3 is just plain boring. That one rates by far the worst for me, well below any other MCU movie other than Norton's Hulk.
It's almost like they're wannabe Gods or something 

I don;t think that is it at all.  I think critics are used to judging high drama and acting for the most part.  If Star is Born or Roma is a 10 on the movie scale what is a superhero movie likely to attain?  The Avenger movies cannot compare favorably to either of those movies.

The critics are reviewing for the masses and for craft.  

You can enjoy Ragnarok - but that movie was not good.  

I don;t think that is it at all.  I think critics are used to judging high drama and acting for the most part.  If Star is Born or Roma is a 10 on the movie scale what is a superhero movie likely to attain?  The Avenger movies cannot compare favorably to either of those movies.

The critics are reviewing for the masses and for craft.  

You can enjoy Ragnarok - but that movie was not good.  
I think it depends on how you look at movies.  Do they need to be high minded dramas to be considered amazing?  I remember an interview with Kirk Douglass where he called BS on that notion saying that you have to consider entertainment value when reviewing films.  People want to be swept away for two hours and it doesn't matter if it is Citizen Kane or Dumb and Dumber so long as the audience enjoys it that is where the true value lies.

So, while I think Citizen Kane is an amazing movie if I'm flipping through the channels on a lazy Sunday afternoon and your options are CK and Lloyd Christmas, which one are you going to choose 9 times out of 10?

Most reviews I have seen of Captain Marvel reflect what @The Dude was talking about.  The reviewers seem to begrudgingly call it entertaining but lacking in depth.  Sounds about on par with almost every other Marvel film.

:hifive:

Saturday at 1, matinee. Just taking my oldest son (16).  Honestly skeptical going in but Marvel hasn't disappointed yet except Thor 2. 
I think The Dark World is a low point but there have been others that have fallen short as well IMO (IM3, AoU to name two and while I definitely enjoyed Black Panther I never understood the insane hype surrounding it)

My tix for Captain Marvel are at Cinepolis  so I figure the booze and zebra popcorn coma(s) will put me in a very forgiving mood while watching.

A very small spoiler for the Captain Marvel movie.  This kind of retcon is just sad, but will only be an eyeroll for comic nerds.

It's not a plot spoiler.  Marvel is just usually so good at providing Easter eggs of Marvel canon within their movies that this really stands out as a stinker.

Carol Danver's call sign in the movie is Avenger...which inspires Nick Fury to name the Avenger's Initiative

I think it depends on how you look at movies.  Do they need to be high minded dramas to be considered amazing?  I remember an interview with Kirk Douglass where he called BS on that notion saying that you have to consider entertainment value when reviewing films.  People want to be swept away for two hours and it doesn't matter if it is Citizen Kane or Dumb and Dumber so long as the audience enjoys it that is where the true value lies.

So, while I think Citizen Kane is an amazing movie if I'm flipping through the channels on a lazy Sunday afternoon and your options are CK and Lloyd Christmas, which one are you going to choose 9 times out of 10?
I don't disagree at all with what you are saying.  My point is in regards to how I think a professional critic views a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread