What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (2 Viewers)

1. Gotcha. I just think if she's that powerful to break free from the Supreme Intelligence (even when she's just realizing her full power), she should no problem squashing Jude and his goons. In fact, she become even more enraged after seeing him and empowered by the No Doubt song.

2. Yeah, I remember the scene from the other movie when Thanos took a young Samora. I was just wondering if maybe that was after the Skrulls found a new home and settled. 

3. Homing beacon, yeah, but not her tag. You don't find it odd they couldn't pinpoint exactly where was located with a chip implanted in her neck? Hell, it is 2019 here on Earth and my dog has a chip in him so I can locate him if I needed too.

4. Damaged but not in danger of crashing? Huh? You know this how? It would have taken literally 30 seconds more of movie to show land safely. Major flaw in the movie, imo.

5. No love for Brie? 😍

6. Yeah, I get that he had a crew already together in NYC but it was looking bad. They were getting there ### handed to them. If that wasn't an emergency, I don't what is.

[ /spoiler
1. At the last, when she was at her strongest, after having just realized she had power enough to take on starships, she came back and trounced Yon-Rogg with barely a twitch of her hand. At that point it would have been silly if she still had a problem putting him down, which I’m guessing is why she had the big fight with all of them when she was just figuring out her abilities and at the end didn’t even break a sweat putting him down.

2. It’s Gamora, not Samora.

3. Does the chip in your dog supress Infinity Stone granted powers? Maybe it can’t do both.

4. I know because they were still maneuvering around and not yelling about how they were going to crash. Plus they then didn’t show them crashing. All this tells me that they weren’t going to crash.

5. Brie’s pretty, but I preferred Gemma Chan (Minn-Erva).

6. If the Chitauri had established a foothold and the Avengers were defeated, then I’d say call Captain Marvel. Again, there’s no way for Fury to know how far away she was and how long it would take for her to get there. Haven’t you heard of The Boy Who Cried Wolf? If you call her whenever things look a little dicey and she shows up after everything is back to normal, she’s going to stop coming when you call. You only call when you’re out of options.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Captain Marvel under my belt I decided to go back and re-watch the MCU in order before Endgame. Just finished Iron Man, and it's been at least a few years since I watched it straight through. One thing that really jumps out to me is how much the formula for the MCU success was created by Favreau and RDJ in that film. The humor and action mix they establish carries through to just about every one of the films that follow. I'm not sure if that was by design initially or once they hit on success they have mostly stayed the course, but it's amazing how much the overall tone feels the same in Captain Marvel as it does in Iron Man.
I'm really hoping they get their hands on F4.  Can't understand why it's been so difficult to put even a decent F4 movie out to this point

Fun ride.

Love the Stan Lee memorial in the start credits.

No complaints about this at all. Cant wait for Endgame.
Yep, I enjoyed it.  My son teared up a little bit at the memorial and said "I can already tell you this will be my favorite part of the movie"

I'd give it a good solid B.  Without getting into the details, it had a decent amount of humor in there (but I could tell times where they went for the joke and it fell flat) and the story was well laid out.  I think at the end they went overboard on her powers, causing (spoiler) to retreat quicker than I would have thought.  Much like Superman, I don't like it when someone is too powerful, and she is probably at the very top of the food chain now. 

I don't think Brie was perfect for the role but she did fine.  I don't think they did her any favors with her running.  It seemed like they were going for the "Tom Cruise running" effect, where he appears to be moving quickly.  Her movement appeared a lot more plodding.  Minor nit pick :)

Updated tier ranking in coming.

MCU Tiered Update:

Absolutely Loved:

• Avengers
  • GotG
  • Iron Man
  • Infinity War
  • Cap 3 Civil War
  • Cap 2 Winter Soldier
  • A2 Ultron
  • GotG 2
Really Liked:

• Black Panther
  • Dr. Strange
  • Captain Marvel
  • Thor Ragnarok
  • Spiderman Homecoming
  • Ant-Man
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp
Still Good:

• Thor 2
  • Cap
  • Thor
  • IM2
Just OK:

• IM3
  • Hulk
Stinker:

N/A

Thor 2 tier, and that's not a compliment.  Larson is basically a female Keanu Reeves.  She looked like an actress playing a superhero.  First half was pretty poor and was marginally saved by a decently entertaining second half.  :shrug:

MCU Tiered Update:

Absolutely Loved:

• Avengers
  • GotG
  • Iron Man
  • Infinity War
  • Cap 3 Civil War
  • Cap 2 Winter Soldier
  • A2 Ultron
  • GotG 2
Really Liked:

• Black Panther
  • Dr. Strange
  • Captain Marvel
  • Thor Ragnarok
  • Spiderman Homecoming
  • Ant-Man
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp
Still Good:

• Thor 2
  • Cap
  • Thor
  • IM2
Just OK:

• IM3
  • Hulk
Stinker:

N/A
I'd have Ultron in tier 2, others would go lower. 

Absolutely Loved:

GotG (still my favorite)

Avengers

Infinity War

Cap (I've enjoyed this one a lot more since watching the other CPTs)

Cap 2 Winter Soldier

Cap 3 Civil War

Black Panther

GotG 2

Ant-Man

Really Liked:

A2 Ultron

Dr. Strange

Captain Marvel

Thor Ragnarok

Spiderman Homecoming

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Iron Man

Still Good:

Thor

IM2

Just OK:

IM3

Thor 2

Stinker:

Hulk

1. At the last, when she was at her strongest, after having just realized she had power enough to take on starships, she came back and trounced Yon-Rogg with barely a twitch of her hand. At that point it would have been silly if she still had a problem putting him down, which I’m guessing is why she had the big fight with all of them when she was just figuring out her abilities and at the end didn’t even break a sweat putting him down.

2. It’s Gamora, not Samora.

3. Does the chip in your dog supress Infinity Stone granted powers? Maybe it can’t do both.

4. I know because they were still maneuvering around and not yelling about how they were going to crash. Plus they then didn’t show them crashing. All this tells me that they weren’t going to crash.

5. Brie’s pretty, but I preferred Gemma Chan (Minn-Erva).

6. If the Chitauri had established a foothold and the Avengers were defeated, then I’d say call Captain Marvel. Again, there’s no way for Fury to know how far away she was and how long it would take for her to get there. Haven’t you heard of The Boy Who Cried Wolf? If you call her whenever things look a little dicey and she shows up after everything is back to normal, she’s going to stop coming when you call. You only call when you’re out of options.
When you find yourself debating the flaws in timeline or logic of a comic book movie.

Good movie. 

I have the feeling that many people are watching it with an obligation to find something to be critical about, particularly as it relates to Larson ("running"? Seriously?).

She's great in the role. And Captain Marvel is a heavy hitter in the Marvel Universe, always has been so, no she's not overpowered.

Thought how they treated the Skrulls was very interesting and showed real depth and nuance. Something no one was really given in the pages of the comics, particularly back in the 70s & early 80s when they were introduced.

Need to see it again but on first blush it's among the better MCU films IMO.

Saw it last night in a Dolby theater.  Place was packed.  I thought it was good to great - lower top 10 of Mar-Vell movies.  If you want to hate it you will find reasons to do so, if you want to love it you will find reasons to do so.

Thought the 90s "computer" stuff was great.

Oh, and Stan Lee reading the Mallrats script was awesome.

Oh, and Stan Lee reading the Mallrats script was awesome.
I have to watch a second time to look closer but did Carol give a nod of recognition to Stan in that shot?  I don't remember that ever happening before in any of his other cameos.

The other thing I was thinking was that the nod of recognition was put in during post production after they learned of Stan's death.

If it's been discussed I missed it but how did the teserect get to space?  
Not sure if I am remembering this correctly but didn't the Red Skull cause that to happen at the end of Captain America The First Avenger?

Not sure if I am remembering this correctly but didn't the Red Skull cause that to happen at the end of Captain America The First Avenger?
I thought cap crashed with it.

That takes place after Captain Marvel.

Captain Marvel explains how it was in SHIELDs hands at the beginning of The Avengers.
Right, the chain of custody wouldn't hold up in court.

Good movie.   I agree with others that it’s in that second tier of Marvel movies for me behind Avengers, IW, WS, CW, GoTG and Ragnarok.  

I didn’t see her as too overpowered.  What she did to the space craft was no different than what Thor did in IW to the Outriders’ ships. She seems to fit in with that upper-tier power-wise.  

End credit got me ready for Endgame.  

Oh, and RIP Stan.  :cry:

As an aside it was a little slow in the middle. My 7 yo son started writhing in his chair.  I asked if he needed to go to the bathroom. “No, there’s no fighting.”   :lmao:

So I wasn’t a big comic reader.  Did they totally jettison Mar-Vell?  Mar-Vell was a male Kree, right?  Seemed like they gave a little of him to Law’s character (“that’s my blood in her veins”) but put that name on the woman working with Danvers in the Air Force.  Was this because Mar-Vell was a hero but they made the Krees the bad guys here?

Chaka said:
I have the feeling that many people are watching it with an obligation to find something to be critical about, particularly as it relates to Larson ("running"? Seriously?).
You picked the wrong example imo.  I wasn't looking to be critical and I think she was fine in the role.  But if you didn't notice her particularly unathletic style of running from the very beginning, I'd challenge your own propensity towards bias going in.  I mean, it reminded me of Linda Carter in the old Wonder Woman TV show.  The running was glaringly that bad.

Again I enjoyed the movie and Larson as the hero over all, but that running was just plain bad.

So I wasn’t a big comic reader.  Did they totally jettison Mar-Vell?  Mar-Vell was a male Kree, right?  Seemed like they gave a little of him to Law’s character (“that’s my blood in her veins”) but put that name on the woman working with Danvers in the Air Force.  Was this because Mar-Vell was a hero but they made the Krees the bad guys here?

Yeah, Mar-Vell was a hero in the comics (the original Captain Marvel). He was on Eath undercover as a human. There was an explosion and he saved Danver’s life. She gained super powers from that and became Ms. Marvel. Only in recent years has she taken up the mantle of Captain Marvel, with a lot of other Captain Marvels in between. This version of Mar-Vell is not Law’s character because he’s a villain and it’s not like Danvers would take her name from a villain. Instead she took it from someone she admired, who was sort of her mentor, and it makes sense that would be a woman.

You picked the wrong example imo.  I wasn't looking to be critical and I think she was fine in the role.  But if you didn't notice her particularly unathletic style of running from the very beginning, I'd challenge your own propensity towards bias going in.  I mean, it reminded me of Linda Carter in the old Wonder Woman TV show.  The running was glaringly that bad.

Again I enjoyed the movie and Larson as the hero over all, but that running was just plain bad.
I would happily watch Linda Carter run all day.

The Kree are not necessarily "good guys" or "bad guys" in the comics.

The original Captain Mar-Vel didn't start out as a "good guy" either. He was more neutral as it related to humans and Earth.

Chaka said:

Yep, his comment was directed at me.  I didn't have "an obligation" to find something wrong with the film.  I really liked it.  I still think an Emily Blunt would have done a better job based on prior performances, but I think Larson was fine. 

The running scenes as she was escaping were distractingly bad.  But again overall, I enjoyed the movie.

Re-watched The Incredible Hulk as I make my way back through all the MCU movies. No surprise, but it really suffers by comparison to all the other films. Aside from Ross being in it and the Stark cameo at the very end you could almost consider it more of a standalone movie. The recasting of Norton to Ruffalo is part of it, but it almost plays more like a sequel to the TV series than the prequel to the Avengers and Ragnarok version of the Hulk. It's a good thing Iron Man hit so big, since with this film Marvel studios was only 1 for 2 the summer they came out. 

Glad to have this one out of the way. Back to Iron Man next. 

Just saw it and to be totally honest not really sure what I watched.  They crammed a ton of stuff in there and made it like 30 minutes too long.   I will watch it again on netflix or whatever but the movie just didnt do it for me, not really sure what they were going for there.

But Brie in the NIN shirt was all sorts of nice.  She is one fine lady.

And honestly what exactly is her powers, they made a big deal about how she got them and forgetting her past but they didnt really go into detail about what it was exactly.

from with wiki

Following Schmidt's defeat at the hands of Captain America in 1945, the Tesseract fell into Arctic waters, where it was recovered by Howard Stark.
Yeah that was shown, but they don't say how it ended up with MarVell. Howard Stark would never give this style item willingly.

Yeah. Did they touch on this in the, what's it called? The Haley Atwell TV show?
Agent Cater?  No, I don't think so.  Here is what one time line states

==========

Post-wormhole, the Tesseract burns through the aircraft and falls into ocean, where it is later retrieved by Howard Stark while searching for Rogers. At some point, between then and 1989, the Tesseract finds itself at Project PEGASUS, a joint effort by NASA and the US Air Force to study the Tesseract. We’ll have to wait until the next Marvel prequel to know what happened to the Tesseract during the 45-year gap in MCU history.

Users who are viewing this thread